• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief Super Monkey Ball 3D Impressions

I don't see any impressions for Super Monkey Ball 3D posted, and I'm far too lazy to make an |OT| so...

The main game is classic Monkey Ball. 60fps, even in 3D mode, and the 3D effect pops very well in this mode. Having cleared all eight worlds now, I don't feel the level design approaches Monkey Ball 1 or 2 (those are the only two I've played). With lots of guard rails to keep you safe and sludge(?) to slow you down, it feels like Monkey Ball w/ training wheels for about 90% of the game. I'm not ramping off of anything to catch air, sweating any well-placed obstacles, or barreling down long slopes often. It's still set up for score attack at least. So while OG Monkey Ballers may be able to pull some tricks in places, I think they'll hit a ceiling hard and fast with this level design -- especially without alternate goals for extra points. I suspect the stages were designed around gyro control instead of analogue stick, due to their lack of difficulty.

Monkey Race (30fps in and out of 3D mode) is an awkward Mario Kart clone now, complete with actual vehicles and item pick-ups. There are three locations with three tracks each, but I only played two courses before I decided I wasn't enjoying it.

Monkey Fight (60fps in and out of 3D mode) is an, again, awkward Smash Bros. clone. Very light on defensive tools to deal with opponents, so spam away. There are a few options available to change things up a little, like pelting the stage with a constant barrage of bombs, and hiding the banana counter to obscure the winning player.

I must admit disappointment with the needless complexities of the mini-games here. In the first two Monkey Ball games, Fight and Race were brilliantly simple. They played like a natural extension of the main game. Here in Monkey Ball 3D, the monkeys are free of their capsules and worse for it. Also my favorite game, Monkey Target, probably could've validated my game purchase alone if it were present.

Just a huge missed opportunity here for Sega to come in on the ground floor of the 3DS catalogue with a good party game.

dvolovets

Thanks for posting. Pretty much what I expected based on the very first videos that were revealed. Damn guard rails.

Main game's still fun, if dumbed down. To be honest I don't mind having a lower stress MB on 3DS, especially with the slide pad's lack of octagonal gate.

Race and Fight are total trash though, they should've just regurgitated the GCN versions (and thrown in Target).

Soundtrack rules.

nofi

Yeah, just published my review today. I'm disappointed, not least because it's too easy but because the two included 'mini' games are dreadful.

Monkey Target and Monkey Bowling would have been much better.

sinxtanx

I tried this today, and yes, I have to agree, it's WAY too easy.
You'd think SEGA would make some helicopter-crazy levels for a 3D version, but the difficulty is just so very tame.

So Monkey Race and Monkey Battle are not fun, at all?

They don't have to be anywhere near as good as Mario Kart or Smash Bros, just decent enough imitations that they could somewhat hold me over till Mario Kart 3DS actually comes out.

Do these modes do that atleast?

Rekubot

Yeah, I have a similar opinion of this game to the rest of the thread. Now going back through every level getting medals to at least try to justify spending £30 on this. It's just too short and the mini-games suck. Monkey Race has crashed twice for me as well.

Agreed that Monkey Target should have been included. Hopefully it'll be in the sequel if they do one.

Ericsc said:
Is this the only 60fps in 3D mode game so far?
Surely Steel Diver runs at 60fps?

Lijik

dvolovets said:
Thanks for posting. Pretty much what I expected based on the very first videos that were revealed. Damn guard rails.
Same here, so no surprise.
I'll probably pick it up when its cheap. Easy monkeyball games like Step & Roll are perfect for listening along to podcasts with.

This is my first monkey ball and yeah I was kinda hoping for more after hearing about the series here on gaf. I am not exactly golding the events yet but it does feel to easy most of the time. I am not done with all the worlds yet though. I am on the ghost world right now.

The 3d works well but feels kinda distracting when things are moving quickly on the screen. Easy enough to turn it off whenever you want though so no biggie really. I don't play with the gyro at all though.

The battle mode is just boring I thought but the cart game was kinda decent at least.

ckohler

I'm mildly enjoying the main game however it wasn't until World 5 that I actually ever fell off a map. It's painfully obvious that they dumbed down the stage difficulty because of the tilt controls. They should have ditched the tilt controls entirely and gone with tougher stages.

What's most frustrating is that this game teases you about how good it COULD be. The graphics are wonderfully sharp and crisp, the frame-rate is silky smooth, the 3D effect looks cool and the sound/music are great. The tech in the game is great but the people responsible for the level design and mini-games ruined it.

I like Monkey Ball but they have usually been party games for me so I'm probably going to hold off on this and Steel Diver until they are dirt cheap/clearanced somewhere.

PuppetSlave said:
This is my first monkey ball and yeah I was kinda hoping for more after hearing about the series here on gaf.

Look on the bright side, unlike the rest of us, your love of the series will only increase as you play more of the games (skip 3)!

I spent a lot of time with the GC ones, so I am definitely a little disappointed with this one. It's more fun than Nintendogs though, which is cute but kind of boring after the first few minutes. I'm not really interested in any of the launch titles right now :(

Glad I made the last minute decision to wait until I can get this for $20 or less, seems more like that's what it's worth. I got Ridge Racer instead and am enjoying the hell out of that.

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but Monkey Ball is the new Sonic: a couple of great games followed by years of shit, and yet we keep hoping for another good one. :-(

Gameboy415

I got this with Ridge Racer at Toys R Us and I like it a lot.
The main game is fun and easy and the mini games are decent once you get a handle for the quirky controls.
I would've preferred the classic mini games instead (Monkey Target/Fight), but for what was essentially a $20 purchase, I'm pretty satisfied.

RobbieNick

My Wal-Mart has already dropped it to $29.96. Super Monkey Bomb?

I got my GameFly copy today. First 2 minutes in and it gives me the black screen of death for the first time on my system. Great.

Outside of that, it works good. Some 3D objects (Green bubbles, peppermint canes) seem to fly right into my eyes. The music is probably the best on a SMB game so far. I'm walfway through with no real challenge yet. Tried racing. It's pretty week. Like eveyone has said before, too easy, too short. Glad this is only a rental.

There's a good reason this game has not been doing well.

A.) Not enough content.

B.) I can get a better Monkey Ball game for about $5 on the iPhone.

farnham

Banned
bought it because amazon.co.uk offered a 15 pound off deal if you preorder a 3ds with that game

should have opted with ghost recon

rpmurphy

Is Touch and Roll still the last Monkey Ball game with the traditional design? Ugh...
At least the 3DS can play that one (and the GC ones on Wii)... lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
What I liked:

- technically sound
- great soundtrack

What I hated:

-EVERYTHING ELSE

Even if you took out the guard rails the game would be too easy. I died about 15 times in the entire game (mostly because I kept zoning out). In Super Monkey Ball 1 I must have died a few thousand times... (and I've still never unlocked Master Mode)

Do the collectibles do anything besides being collectibles?

On the plus side at least it didn't crash my system.

+
It's Monkey Ball, it's a fun concept
The colors are really nice
Soundtrack is fits the game

-
Way too easy
Monkey Race is a joke
Monkey Fight is meh

If you like Monkey Ball, you'll have about three hours of fun with the main mode, but that's it.

Coen

I agree with the consensus so far. I've died more times on Super Monkey Ball 1's first world than I did this entire game. I'm not even going to discuss those laughably bad minigames. It's a shame too, because, using the circle-pad, this is the best controlling Monkey Ball game since the GameCube ones. Aesthetics are great too, music is topnotch. I especially like the transparent half of the ball, makes the 3D effect pop a bit more. Super Monkey Ball 3D would've been great with some challenging level design, but now it's more of a score-attack game.

GhostSeed

I decided to pick this up today seeing as there's really nothing else to play but man it is so bad. Why the fuck are they racing in cars now?! I can't even bring myself to finish the main game because railings suck all the challenge and fun right out of it. I know this thread is like beating a dead horse now but jesus even for Sega this shit is awful.

dock

Yeah, I was disappointed with this too.

It starts off so promising because the controls are as good as the Gamecube game, finally... but then the level designs let it down. I love the art style too, and the lack of cutscenes (remember SMB2? -_-), but the rails let it down. Also, the bananas remain missing when you lose a life, so there isn't even the self inflicted challenge of getting all the bananas before hitting the exit.

If they can build off this and make some real levels, I'll be up for it. Also, I'll be up for someone else to make a ball rolling game using the analogue stick. It's just a shame that most people's ball rolling games are utterly soulless (and kororinpa turned to shit on the Wii )

_woLf

I beat story mode in less than an hour.

Racing is decent, fighting is awful and feels too floaty.

Every time I went back to try and improve my score/get all the bananas in story mode, my 3DS would crash in certain parts.

Returned the game and got Samurai Warriors, and I do not regret it.

Really was hoping they'd bring back the style of SMB from 1 and 2 that were fun with the actually good minigames. The Wii versions of the game showed up on 3DS, and it's just as bad. Rails everywhere, the art style (personal issue), and the fact it's so damn linear. The entire point to SMB in the first place was that there were TONS of secret/alternate routes to skip stages and such.

Do NOT get the game, especially at the price it's at now.

Top Bottom