• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ultima4Ever World Map Leaked

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ok, the plot thickens with this:

http://www.ultimaaiera.com/blog/is-this-an-image-of-mythics-secret-ultima-project/

I can’t tell you much about my source for this; he (she?) used a dummy email address and submitted the message via the site contact form. The IP address he came to the site with is apparently local to Romania; beyond that, I know nothing about him. Or her. Or it (I mean, if a machine can win at Jeopardy!, a machine can probably leak a screenshot, right?).

Regardless, the message he sent was pretty short. In fact, it was just a link to this image:

u4-remake-maybet7n1.jpg

That sure looks like Britannia!

The only other thing the email said is: “online RPG”. Not a lot to go on, I realize.

But there’s at least two tantalizing details in the shot. Three, really. The first is that it’s quite obviously a map of Britannia, and the second is that there are a number of circled locations on the map which seem to be development notes concerning where different towns and landmarks are going to end up being placed.

Lord British’s castle, for example, is situated on some nice coastal real estate.

There’s also the captivating caption just above the image (which, by the way, appears to be a still from a video embedded in a website). Paul Barnett’s name is there, as is the codename (at least, I think it’s a codename…) Ultima4Ever. Clever ploy, that.

At the same time, this looks like a very “high level” view of Britannia; I would expect that any game which actually used it would also feature a much better-looking, zoomed-in view for its actual gameplay.

Thoughts, good Dragons and Dragonettes? Does this image comport with known rumours?

Assuming there's truth in this article, I'm stoked.

Gravijah

Nirolak said:
But this is Ultima 4 geddit? Har har har.

Edit:

Right, right, that was the fourth movie.

Haha, they're both really stupid. But at least one is a film aimed at children. :/

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
http://whois.domaintools.com/ultima4ever.com

Registrant:
Electronic Arts
Domain Hostmaster
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
US
Email:

Registrar Name....: CORPORATE DOMAINS, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.corporatedomains.com
Registrar Homepage: www.cscprotectsbrands.com

Domain Name: ultima4ever.com

Created on..............: Wed, Mar 17, 2010
Expires on..............: Sat, Mar 17, 2012
Record last updated on..: Tue, Mar 15, 2011

Administrative,Technical Contact:
Electronic Arts
Domain Hostmaster
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
US
Phone: +1.6506281500
Email:

DNS Servers:

ns1.mythicentertainment.com
udns2.ultradns.net
ns6.dnsmadeeasy.com
udns1.ultradns.net
ns7.dnsmadeeasy.com

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Can anyone remember what EALouse had to say about it? 'It' being Burnett's pet Ultima project.

Didn't that whiny mythic guy say something about paul making a ultima clone in his spare time?

Man! Pipped at the post.

I can't see it being anything other than a disaster, since EA seems to have ranged from embarrassed to disinterested in the name for years, but I'd rather play a disastrous new Ultima game than, well, just about any RPG released since Black Gate.

edit 3: Jesus, 61 minutes of Barnett talking. I'm relieved it's just a screencap.

bhlaab

Wow, I was aghast at the idea of turning Ultima 4 into a facebook game, but now I'm starting to think they actually did one worse and turned it into an MMO

bhlaab

Khezu said:
Didn't that whiny mythic guy say something about paul making a ultima clone in his spare time?

Yes

Oh yeah, and he needed Paul Barnett. You know him as the crazy British dude that appears in random videos at EA to promote his latest bullshittery. We know him as the crazy British dude who we have no idea of how he still has a job. This man was supposed to be the savior of Warhammer’s vision and design. Now all he can do is promote his strange ideas about his little secret project web Ultima game that’s been almost universally criticized by all of us and focus groups. What’s that? You didn”t know Paul loves one of those old Ultima games sooooo much he’s making a literal copy of it for Facebook? Well, the cats outta the bag. Too bad it sucks ass.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Cat in the Hat said:
Jeez that is brutal. That's either jealousy or him just being a rude twat.

Or all three - jealous, rude and fitting of Barnett's, ah, eccentricities.

Facebook Ultima. Well, it's not the worst that could happen, right?

UO2Figure6.jpg

Radogol

bhlaab said:
Wow, I was aghast at the idea of turning Ultima 4 into a facebook game, but now I'm starting to think they actually did one worse and turned it into an MMO

The Aiera guy is pretty sure it's not an MMO. Facebook game sounds about right, though.

Clott

I once met the guy who was the head of Ultima back in the day, and I asked him what he was developing nowadays, he told me he was working on a facebook game. It seems that's what all the cool kids are doing.

bhlaab

Kuran said:
I miss Ultima VII. Put a perfectly enhanced port on 3DS please!

Just download Exult, a source port for the game. Crank up the resolution, download high quality soundpacks, get a keyring in Black Gate(!)...

Top Bottom