• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, what's this game?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
There's this one game from, I think the 90's, that I used to play with a friend of mine as a kid. I can't remember the name of it even if my life depended on it.

Before you tell me to ask the friend, he passed away 2 years ago :( I wish I could ask him.

It was on the PC, and it was sort of a sci-fi racing game. It had a bunch of different drivers with their attributes and personal vehicles, and there were weapons n shit as well. I faintly remember this one driver and his vehicle, it was a big wheel with the cockpit in the middle of it. The driver could've been some sort of a professor or something.

So yeah. 90's PC, Sci-fi racing, weapons.. oh and the camera was behind the vehicle as far as I remember.

Please help! :(

WillyFive

I'll put up a bunch of images, and see which one is closer to your memory:

411433-star_wars_episode_i___racer__e___m3___snap0021.jpg

pod_screen001.jpg

1269897-psogl015.jpg

rollcage_screen006.jpg

dethkarz_screen005.jpg

Megarace_ingame.png

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Hmm.. It could've been Crash'n'Burn, I remember the tracks were crazy like that etc but it really seems technologically inferior to what I remember..

EDIT:

Nah that's not it.. I dont think it had the real photograph thing going on for the characters. Not sure though :lol

This is hard.

Anyway, the levels were sort of Wipeout/F-Zero-ish if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

scars_screen009.jpg

S.C.A.R.S. perhaps? Were vehicles based on animals with their own weapons and abilites. Great game with a good soundtrack.

Despera

Banned
Osaka said:
Hmm.. It could've been Crash'n'Burn, I remember the tracks were crazy like that etc but it really seems technologically inferior to what I remember..

Well, if Crash'n'Burn is technologically inferior to the one on your mind... Then skip my earlier post.

WillyFive

Osaka said:

If that is the correct game, then it's not that uncommon to find the game looks technologically inferior to what you may remember.

Sometimes I post a screen of an N64/PS1/PS2/Gamcube/Xbox game here and people start screaming that wasn't how the game looked.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
TommyT said:

Damn, sorry. Didn't notice there's a thread for this stuff. :(

And no Pizza Luigi, that's not it.

Willy105 said:
If that is the correct game, then it's not that uncommon to find the game looks technologically inferior to what you may remember.

Sometimes I post a screen of an N64/PS1/PS2/Gamcube/Xbox game here and people start screaming that wasn't how the game looked.

That's true :lol The professor I remember was bald though I think.

Oh, remembered something again. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think there was an UI where you could see the vehicle in front/back of you or something.

Despera said:
Well, if Crash'n'Burn is technologically inferior to the one on your mind... Then skip my earlier post.

Hmm, it could've been like Carmageddon-level of stuff. But no, totally different type of setting.

I do know of interstate and carmageddons but those arent the one im looking for, thanks :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Neuromancer said:

That seems close but I dont think that's it. The camera was closer to the player's vehicle.

The game had like, all sorts of people as the drivers and it really had emphasis on the different drivers and their vehicles, and they were all sort of unique and had their own things going on. There was aliens and stuff maybe as well.

lifa-cobex said:
My money is on Rollcage?

Nope, while Rollcage is a good game and all, the game I'm trying to find had different looking vehicles and shit.

stuminus3

ultron87 said:
Holy shit! Megarace! That takes me back.
GOG has all three of them. They didn't age well, unfortunately. Though Megarace 2 still looks kinda cool, with the FMV tracks.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Hmm, now that I think of it, it has to be late 90's/REALLY early 00's. I remember the friend getting Diablo 2 around those times.

The vehicles were so unique that some of them were like.. not cars or anything. One of em looks a bit like a Protoss probe from Starcraft, I think. Sort of a vertical design hovercraft.

lifa-cobex

Osaka said:
Hmm, now that I think of it, it has to be late 90's/REALLY early 00's. I remember the friend getting Diablo 2 around those times.

The vehicles were so unique that some of them were like.. not cars or anything. One of em looks a bit like a Protoss probe from Starcraft, I think. Sort of a vertical design hovercraft.

Don't suppose it had anything to do with hovercraft tanks?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
lifa-cobex said:
Don't suppose it had anything to do with hovercraft tanks?

Nah it was more like a space-themed racing game, semi-fast paced.

I posted in the "games you remember, names you dont remember"-thread as well. Feel free to respond in either one if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Willy105 said:
I'll put up a bunch of images, and see which one is closer to your memory:

[

pod_screen001.jpg

Lol, POD racer, one of the games they gave me for free in the store where I purchased my first computer, Pentium 166.

Never could win a race. Good times :lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Been looking through the PC list in the gaf thread and none so far ring a bell.

Also, not POD :(

mclem

AbsoluteZero said:
Hah, I remember POD. It was like the first 3dfx-promoted game or something

A friend of mine had it and loved the fact that the icon it put on the desktop was not labelled "Pod", but was instead "To play pod". He felt it was faintly Zen :)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Not Killer Loop nor Big Red Racing!

I love BRR though, I think i still have the cardboard box and everything for it back at my parents.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Im surely wrong becuase its not very sci fiction (it has stages that are) and the vehicles, if I remember correctly, dont have weapons, but theres wacky charcters all around.
Bid Red Racing:
Big_Red_Racing_PC_USA_screenshot.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVN2VZmCqA

One of my favourite racing games ever.

Oh shit, that brings back memories! That was probably the first racing game I bought myself, and it was awesome. Tracks on the moon and stuff (Mars too?). You could also fly, couldn't you? Maybe not.

bitoriginal

it's definitely not this...

but mashed on the xbox was one of my favourite party games, completely ripped micro machines but it was good

mashed_big1.jpg

based on your story i would say Hi-Octane or Twisted Metal. Hi-Octane has a sort of a big wheel of a UFO vehicle that you can select and Twisted Metal has Axel that is a guy between two big wheels :D

hioctane.jpg

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Damn, Cyberspeed looks hella familiar but I'm fairly sure it was newer than 1996..

RoadHazard said:
Oh shit, that brings back memories! That was probably the first racing game I bought myself, and it was awesome. Tracks on the moon and stuff (Mars too?). You could also fly, couldn't you? Maybe not.
Yes, you could fly!
In helicopter or with the ufo.

So awesome, I really loved all the sounds the game did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_YN2GYic0w&feature=related

"This course is wet and wild, like me!"

Nostalgia sound rush!

CrankyJay

Banned
Alright op. Im drunk and annoyed that none of these games fit your shit. I'm sure one if these are it. Take another look.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
CrankyJay said:
Alright op. Im drunk and annoyed that none of these games fit your shit. I'm sure one if these are it. Take another look.

I wish that was the case man, it's bugging the hell out of me, too!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Kuroudu said:
Hi-Octane?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRbqCYT43to

or MegaRace 2?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5o_heSjIu0&feature=related

This thread reminds me of a game a used to play when I was a kid (two player split screen was awesome fun):

Wacky Wheels :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVIiKp6xMs

Megarace isnt futuristic enough and I'm pretty certain it's not Hi-Octane, the vehicles dont vary enough from each other! :(

Wacky Wheels was awesome though.

EDIT: Actually they're quite varied in High Octane but I don't see any of the driver shit, I remember it really focusing on the different characters even when racing.

Barberetti said:
POD - Planet of Death?

http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/pod009.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Holy crap I had forgotten all about this game. I too got it for free with my first computer. Good times.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Fuck it, I give up. I've looked up 30 like different games on youtube and none of them seem like the game I remember.

Top Bottom