• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #79 - "Detective Story"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Detective Story"

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, July 27th by 11:59 PM PST.

Voting begins Thursday, July 28th, and goes until Sunday, July 31st at 11:59 PM PST.

Optional Secondary Objective: Genre Wink

Involve any fictitious detective in your story.

(Another) Optional Secondary Objective: Gender-bender!

Write from the perspective of the opposite sex.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Irish

Congrats, Tim.

These damn word limits are too long. Gotta win one of these to get you guys reigned in a bit.

Anyway, nice objective. I've been wanting to do one of those for quite a while. Don't know how my final bit will end up though. Its been a while since we've had that secondary secondary. My second entry was where we saw it last, I believe.

Congrats, Tim. Great job.

Anyway, I won't be participating this time. I'll be out of town during the voting period, so I doubt I'd actually get anything done.

hm... I've written so many detective stories I dunno if I could come up with another one, but I guess I'll delve into it.

kehs

Banned
Time to investigate an impersonator.

Think I'll give this one a try, I've been slacking with my writing lately.

Thanks, guys.

Irish said:
These damn word limits are too long. Gotta win one of these to get you guys reigned in a bit.

If I get the three-for, next topic will go short again. Say, 1.5k? Or maybe even flash fiction. D:

crowphoenix said:
Anyway, I won't be participating this time. I'll be out of town during the voting period, so I doubt I'd actually get anything done.

Good to see you're not one of those MacBook Pro-in-coffee-shop people.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Obviously tinypub'ing your story is the way to win.

That or witchcraft. >.>

Tangent

Congrats Tim! You're on a roll.

I wanted to respond to some posts on the previous thread too...

Ashes1396 said:
Tangent - The start and the post-death scenes need work. And I wondered whether you should have ended it just after the post death scenes. But the ending was a satisfactory one, especially for kids. And I've said this before, but it is worth mentioned, you would make a wonderful children's fiction writer. I think in the hands of a good editor, this could be published.
Captured a moment in time. Good stuff. A

First of all, get some sleep! You've been up for 26 hrs straight? That's madness. Second of all, I don't recall you mentioning the children's writing before -- but then again I'm not careful with reading every single thread. So, thank you for saying so, because I do aspire to write for older children or young adults one day. So your words mean a lot to me. I love Roald Dahl, Neil Gaiman, Suzanne Collins, JD Salinger, etc. Among many, many others. It's just awesome stuff. Thanks for the note on the start and post-death scenes.

Tim the Wiz said:
1. DND
2. J.D.
3. Zephyr

HMs: crow, Tangent (so cute!), Cyan

Edit: It was really cute!

LOL! You and cuteness! I always thought of my writing as aspiring to be more bad-ass than cute. But I guess both paths are good!

Cyan said:
Also, two notes. Tangent- sorry about Grizzly. :( But that was a lovely way of remembering him!

Thanks man. Come by and see the 3 additional young amigos whenever.

Puddles said:
Ashes thinks he's not talented? If he has no talent, then I'm Rebecca Black.
This made me LOLFR.

Ward

I missed the last two challenges, discovering the threads the Thursday after submissions, hyped to find this one on time.

The topic reminded me of a piece I wrote two years ago (can't believe it's been that long), and I went back to read it. While it was not without fault, I was impressed (relative to Ward's skill, not writing GAF of course).

Due to that, my initial hype has been subdued. I don't think I can live up to 2009 Ward =(

And thus by posting, I'm obligating myself to submit an entry anyway.

KidGalactus said:
What does this mean?

My attempt to make "tinypub" a verb.

(Tinypub is a site that makes wall-o'-texts look like a real book. I believe Tim has been the only one to put his story on Tinypub during the last two challenges.)

iavi

This'll be a fun challenge. I have no idea what I'm going to do atm, cause I'm still putting my entry for poetry thread together, but I'll have something in.

Cyan

Banned
ronito said:
oh man.
I've done that already don't know if I'm ready to do it again.
Kinda having the same reaction. Definitely don't want to do more noir detective stuff for a while. Oh well, maybe I can find some weird alternate take that's fun to do.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Kinda having the same reaction. Definitely don't want to do more noir detective stuff for a while. Oh well, maybe I can find some weird alternate take that's fun to do.

Want a suggestion?

ronito

Cyan said:
Not so much the noir element just the detective stuff. When I write those it takes forever to setup and then resolve the mystery. Too much reading. Too much writing.

I dodged it last round, but the OP curse might have stuck this time. My idea is very realist and non-stylized: don't see how I could make it fit right this minute.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Sure, why not.

I was gonna do
sherlock holmes
. Straight up as well. Not a homage, and not an updated adaptation. And not a junior version. But I thought, nah, not for me; Cyan could probably pull that off though. And here it is.

Cookie jar is cool though.

I was hoping someone would do Poirot or Nero Wolfe. I do like to read descriptions of mustaches and food.

And Sherlock Holmes? I suppose some might enjoy sketches of illicit drugs and pugilism.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm just gonna get real, real high, and go somewhere weird with the word detective. I'll go into a nice land.

Cyan

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
I was gonna do
sherlock holmes
. Straight up as well. Not a homage, and not an updated adaptation. And not a junior version. But I thought, nah, not for me; Cyan could probably pull that off though. And here it is.

I dunno, I feel like you could pull that off yourself. :)

Ashes

Banned
oh you don't want to do it either? fair enough. lol!

On the principle, that we might both do it, we should perhaps agree that neither now do it.

I don't really like when there are two similar stories in any given thread; if you know what I mean?

Which is why I'm not keen on genre themes. But since I typically nag about such themes, I wasn't gonna nag this time round.

*runs before Tim gets back*

Hopefully, he is still dreaming.
/poetry thread joke.

bengraven

Ashes1396 said:
I was gonna do
sherlock holmes

You should read the Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Most of the stories are macabre, Lovecraftian at times, but some are straight up SH stories.

For example, the Stephen King story is actually one of the best SH stories outside of Doyle that I have ever read. A true love letter to the man.

Anyway, reason I say this is because writers can really do something with the character to make it feel traditional as well as keep their own voice.

Ashes

Banned
bengraven said:
You should read the Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Most of the stories are macabre, Lovecraftian at times, but some are straight up SH stories.

For example, the Stephen King story is actually one of the best SH stories outside of Doyle that I have ever read. A true love letter to the man.

Anyway, reason I say this is because writers can really do something with the character to make it feel traditional as well as keep their own voice.

You learn something new every day! Will order soon enough!

I really want to get in on this. Seems like a great one to start on. Though I haven't done much creative writing in years and don't want to embarass myself. Guess I'll start with some brainstorming/outline of sorts.

Can't wait to read everyone's submissions!

ronito

thought about bringing back the donkey as the victim in a murder mystery. But i can't do that to the donkey.

bengraven

I have never written a mystery and consider myself a very sparse writer when it comes to clues. "Evil Speaks" from a few months ago was an exception.

So writing a detective story will be great. Especially with my own little taste.

Irish

Elfforkusu said:
Note to self: kill some cats in story.

You foul monster.

I thought I had an idea, but I don't. Same as usual. I really wish I could write differently. Not well, just different. It's always the same dull characters and themes. I don't know why I write what I do because I usually enjoy stuff that is nothing like the stories I write.

Maybe I need to just write poorly. Like, not even give a damn and just do.

Irish said:
You foul monster.

Indeed.

Irish said:
I don't know why I write what I do because I usually enjoy stuff that is nothing like the stories I write.

I get this feeling a lot, too. I love speculative fiction but seem incapable of delivering on it so far.

Irish said:
Like, not even give a damn and just do. I don't give a fuck - I do what I want!

Woah, Confident Irish has entered the building. ;)

FairyD

I think I'll try my hand in this, hopefully I won't procrastinate too much and get it done by the deadline.

Ashes

Banned
"Murder In The Rain"
(835 words)

It was raining heavily in the forests of Jondhipur. And I had to cut across this forest if I wanted to get home quickly. It isn't really the forest, the darkness, the thunderstorm, or the unspeakable things that may lurk in the shadows that frighten me. It's people. A robber could slit my throat for the money he thought I had.

As if on cue, I heard a gun shot go off in the far east. A spark of lightening followed close behind, and thunder roared soon after.

My curiosity got the better of me and I veered carefully off the path. I stopped only when I reached a seven foot high wall. I climbed a tree next to the wall, and sat on the flat top base of the thick wall. Another loud bang followed. Out of the corner of my eye I had caught a flash of fire, perhaps, it was the flash of a gun going off. It was so terrifically loud.

There was a frightened little boy holding up an apple. An old man opposed him, with a revolver in his hand. This man was either dancing, or (more likely) the man was drunk or high on ganja, or both.

The darkness and the monsoon rain made it difficult to make out either party clearly, but I figured the boy to be a beggar, by the ragged fashion he kept. The old man, having the capacity to own the gun might have been the house owner; a lord of some kind.

How can one take away their eyes from a shooting such as this? One can't. And so, I didn't see a third man for the longest while. I saw him only as he walked up behind the Lord and plunge a dagger into him.

I could see them having a brief conversation, but I was out of earshot. The stabbed man fell to the floor. The boy ran and fell to the feet of the stranger thanking him profusely. The boy picked up the knife. I could see that he was pointing towards the gate, telling the stranger to run.

The stranger took the knife back and pointed to the sky. He then pulled the lifeless body by the scuff of the shirt and dragged it across the the length of the garden and out of the front gate. He didn't seem to care that he was leaving a trail of blood.

I watched both bury the body and return to their manor before I set off for home.

…

I slept uneasily next to my wife. I used my hands as a pillow and stared at the whirling fans stuck fast to the ceiling. The rain continued to fall outside; the thunderstorm raged on. The weather was soothing somehow. It was something I understood.

Several times during the course of the night, I wanted to get up and revisit the scene of the crime. And on one occasion, I made it as far as the kitchen. I poured a glass of water from the clay pot and managed to sip a tiny bit. Heatwaves ran up and down my back.

I sat on the floor the following morning drinking tea brewed by my wife. She told me of the rumour doing the rounds that very morning. Apparently, the Lord of a manor close by had had his head chopped off, said one. Another said that he had been poisoned at dinner last night. One other claimed that he had been strangled in the middle of his sleep. All said different things, but all related one basic fact: The Lord of the manor was dead, and it was clear that he had not died of natural causes.

At the local town, the rumours took greater force. A police officer was basking in that glory in a café. I delved into my pockets. There was just enough money. I could get away with a cup of tea.

The useless police officer had already closed the investigation. There was nothing he could do, he said. There was blood, but it was bound to be the Lord's. Not that he could do anything like the western police on TV. The murder weapon had also been found. It was a gun, he claimed.

I felt disgruntled sipping my tea. More so at the police officer's incompetence than at the crime. In regards to the crime it self, I hadn't quite decided where the fault lay.

I didn't catch many fish that day. And sold less than usual. But putting food on the table was so far away from my thoughts that I felt a little ashamed when I returned to my wife that evening.

I left for the sea later that night. I told my wife that I'd be gone fishing for most of the night. She said nothing even though I didn't take any nets.

I sat on the beach looking out at the ocean. It was rough out there.

ronito

Day 243 on the job. Happy the clown is dead. Not just dead, decapitated. His innards spilled all over the ground. Two construction workers found him on their way to work. We set up a perimeter tried to keep the press out but it was too public a spot. Soon the news of yet another murder was all over the town. It is the third in just a week.

First it started with Hank Smith, the grizzled veteran of two wars was found cut in half. A few days later the famous model Kimberly Wellington was found, or at least what was left of her. She had been decapitated, her arms had been cut off, and her legs had been broken. And now Happy the Clown.

As a detective I could've understood someone murdering Hank or Kimberly. Hank had a way of rubbing people the wrong way and certainly his violent ways earned him few friends and many enemies. Kimberly was beautiful to be sure, but that beauty barely covered the surface. Wherever she went she made enemies of men and women alike. Coroner even found that she was a grand central station to many sexually transmitted diseases. There were plenty of people that wanted Hank and Kimberly dead, but everyone loved Happy the Clown. His death has really set us back to square one.

There is the possibility that murders are unrelated, Chief Jones had postulated that earlier. But I don't buy it for a New York second. Jimtown is a small town. Sure it that had a few people go missing but until Hank it never seen a murder. It is highly unlikely that two murderers would suddenly appear and start using the same tactics. Jones might think otherwise, but there is a single culprit.

With Brad the baker's alibi solid and Manuel, the contractor's, motive now shaken I went back to square one, the street and the usual suspects. First on my call list was Red Monkey gang of the Upper East Side. The Red Monkey gang is an offshoot of some Chinese street gang. They have a rivalry with the Green Men gang from the lower east side. The two rough each other up and occasionally one of them will go missing. It's no big loss, just another criminal off the streets, but they had never resorted to such murder.

"We don't know shit! You pigs better get your act together or we all dead motherfucker!" Fat Louie, the leader of the Red Monkeys, had told me.

I had expected as much, but I had to start somewhere and the Red Monkeys had eyes and ears everywhere. The fact that they hadn't seen anything, or were unwilling to tell, was troubling. Next I paid a visit to Jake Hammer, leader of the Green men gang.

The Green men gang was an ultra-patriotic-hyper-american antithesis of the Red Monkey gang. While everything Fat Louie said was up for suspicion the Green men are always happy to help a man in uniform, so long as it wasn't about their own activities.

"I was meaning to talk to you about that. We don't know anything but we suspect the Red Monkeys are behind it." Jake had said.

"They insist they know nothing and I have reason to believe them." I replied.

"Those commie Chinese, you can't believe what they say." Jake spat.

"Jake, they're just as scared as everyone else."

"I'm telling you they're behind this. They never liked Hank and they wanted Kimberly dead for years."

"And what of Happy?"

"Maybe he owed them money?"

Happy the Clown didn't owe anyone anything.

I left Jake as clueless and twice as dejected as I was when I started. A bus drove past me. I could see fear in the passenger's faces; they were all thinking the same thing.

"Am I next?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sammy! You stay out of Jimmy's room!" A voice shouted from downstairs as the door flew open.

A small chunky toddler waddled into the room. The toddler knocked over a tower of legos, kicked at a small cluster of army men, and picked up a monkey from the barrel of monkeys and stuck it in his small slobbery mouth.

A haggard middle aged woman in a floral shirt and white shorts came into the room and picked up the toddler.

"No no Sammy! Jimmy doesn't like you to go into his room" The woman said in a high pitched baby voice as she reached into the toddlers mouth and pulled out the red monkey. The monkey's head was twisted and one arm was missing.

"Sammy what am I to do with you?!" The woman continued with an exacerbated voice as she fished out the red monkey arm from the toddler's mouth. The toddle gurgled happily as the woman threw both the monkey and its arm on the floor by a broken clown doll with stuffing crawling out its neck and left the room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 244 on the job. Things are spiraling out of control. Part of the construction site collapsed suspiciously killing the two construction workers that found Happy yesterday. Fat Louie was found dead, his head had been crushed and one of his arms was cut off. Some of the green men have been reported missing and one is in a coma, he is not expected to live. There is something rotting in Jimtown, something vile and evil, but what?

ronito

My goal was a bit different this time.
Like I said, my gripe about this challenge was that it would take too many words to pose a mystery, suspects and resolution. So I set out to try and do it in less than 1,000 words. So if it seems a bit small and contrite that's sorta the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom