• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Tunesmith said:
Good lord :D, maybe someone Swedish should inform the devs to pick a different style of gibberish alien lingo? :D

edit: poked them on twitter.
I bet I can guess what 'kuk' means :)

You shouldn't have told them. At least ask them to change it to 'todger' or something.

Cromulent_Word said:
I personally think that there's too much focus in the iOS market on heartlessly milking cash out of consumers, rather than respecting them and generating good will through mutual support like you see (indie) dev's doing on Steam, and to an extent on XBLA & PSN. The rad dudes at Simogo have been pumping out HUGE free updates for Bumpy Road because they want their supporters to continue to support. It's good business via being cool, rather than good business via business-first approaches. Anywho, i could blabber on about this, but in the end i think theres real business/financial reasons for studios like Capy/Superbrothers to look out for supporters first.
Listen to this man, for he speaks the truth.

stuminus3

Cromulent_Word said:
Smart stuff.
I like the cut of your jib.

IMO the reason the big companies are shitting the bed these days is because there are now so many tools in place to put the industry into the hands of the consumer, and if the consumer doesn't like the fact that a company isn't offering what Simogo and Capy are offering, well, it's quite easy to walk away. It's the same mentality as Valve has always had, and that worked out pretty good so far.

You have my sword cash.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Zeth said:
What's the verdict on Roboto? Thinking about buying it this afternoon.

Avoid, severe performance issues. I get sub 20fps on my iPhone 4. Apparently it's good on iPad 2 but a slideshow everywhere else.

Also not a great platformer. From what little I've played, Cordy seems a much better executed game.

Clunker

Tempy said:
Is this like X-COM? If so, +1.
Not really; as I understand it's far more of a sim title, kind of a Star Trek skin on Game Dev Story. I might be wrong, though.

Still playing through Groove Coaster, and it's everything I love about gaming (huuuuuuge Rez and Child of Eden fan). I haven't even gone through Hard mode yet either.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Clunker said:
Not really; as I understand it's far more of a sim title, kind of a Star Trek skin on Game Dev Story. I might be wrong, though.

Still playing through Groove Coaster, and it's everything I love about gaming (huuuuuuge Rez and Child of Eden fan). I haven't even gone through Hard mode yet either.

aw man, hard mode is where it's at. The game goes from good to godly right there. That first j-pop song (happy smiling?) is just so twee and brilliant fun to play, all those rhythms jostling around.

Reese-015

OMG OMG OMG RAGNAROK IS COMING TO THE IPHONE

Well actually some sorta single player version of it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xpe4kE5Vc

Still. If this runs at a good framerate and has no stupid flaws, this is finally gonna give me my Ragnarok fix. Zenonia, Illusia, Maple Story and all those others have not managed to do it for me yet.

Zeth

Finally got an A on "I Cannot Ape". It's crazy that you can chain the whole song and still get a B because you didn't hit enough Greats. Is there a better rating than A? I'm sure it requires full perfect with ad-libs.

Huff

Banned
panama chief said:
2 songs and the rest is IAP? the fuck?

http://www.osustream.com/

There is a set of 2 free songs for download, bring the total of free songs to 4. Then 2 packs of 3 songs, each for 2.99.

I love touch music games, but I haven't bought the 6 other songs yet. This game is a lot more challenging than groove coaster, and I've spent a lot of time just on one song trying to unlock the hard difficultly level. Need to use two fingers, which is a lot harder than you think. Love the music.

It's main mode "stream" actually gets harder as you get better, which I think is fantastic. And from reading itunes, sounds like a bunch more content (free and paid) is on it's way along with leader boards and multiplayer.

If you like groove coaster or have wanted an EBA clone, download this game. It's free.

Reese-015 said:

Still. If this runs at a good framerate and has no stupid flaws, this is finally gonna give me my Ragnarok fix. Zenonia, Illusia, Maple Story and all those others have not managed to do it for me yet.
offline version is fine by me, will be cool to play it again.

Reese-015

Zeth said:
Finally got an A on "I Cannot Ape". It's crazy that you can chain the whole song and still get a B because you didn't hit enough Greats. Is there a better rating than A? I'm sure it requires full perfect with ad-libs.

S Rank. I never got an S Rank. S Ranks be crazy. I'm just proud of my A ranks.

Clunker

Jedeye Sniv said:
aw man, hard mode is where it's at. The game goes from good to godly right there. That first j-pop song (happy smiling?) is just so twee and brilliant fun to play, all those rhythms jostling around.
I can't wait! I'm saving it for a second run through; I've been picking at the game here and there and replaying a few songs out of interest, but once I've hit the end I'll cycle through again on Hard. I'm a rhythm game junkie, so Groove Coaster is hitting all of my erogenous zones at once.

Does anyone know if the DLC song that's not Infinity Gene is any good? At 99 cents I'll likely pick it up (already got the IG song) just to get more Coaster love, but I'm trying desperately to keep my iTunes credit open for FFT on Thursday.

BroHuffman said:
http://www.osustream.com/

There is a set of 2 free songs for download, bring the total of free songs to 4. Then 2 packs of 3 songs, each for 2.99.

I love touch music games, but I haven't bought the 6 other songs yet. This game is a lot more challenging than groove coaster, and I've spent a lot of time just on one song trying to unlock the hard difficultly level. Need to use two fingers, which is a lot harder than you think. Love the music.

It's main mode "stream" actually gets harder as you get better, which I think is fantastic. And from reading itunes, sounds like a bunch more content (free and paid) is on it's way along with leader boards and multiplayer.

If you like groove coaster or have wanted an EBA clone, download this game. It's free.
Along similar lines, I tried Osu! and at least from the tutorial, it looks and plays amazingly great. Not a big fan of the Touhou songs, though, but I hope they follow through with additional free and paid song packs.

A multitouch Ouendan works just as great as I thought it would; you get some bizarre patterns that really leverage either hitting two spots at once or kind of skip-hopping one finger to another. They say every song is built to be playable in "two-thumb" position, but I'd also love to see some crazy-ass five-fingered blitz patterns on an iPad. :D

EDIT: Oh snap, this looks fantastic! I had no idea this was a freeware PC thing before this. I'm trying to find more videos and most of them are insanely brutal and inhuman, but this seems like an iPad gaming dream.

Reese-015 said:
I played Ragnarok for 3 straight years and that does not remind me of it much. Looks like a really cheap game with a Ragnarok skin.

I'm getting really burnt out of all these ported-from-cell-phone Korean ARPGs. There are some gems in the bunch like Queens Crown or Zenonia, but the rest are starting to feel like a waste of my time.

MDJCM

Jedeye Sniv said:
Avoid, severe performance issues. I get sub 20fps on my iPhone 4. Apparently it's good on iPad 2 but a slideshow everywhere else.

Also not a great platformer. From what little I've played, Cordy seems a much better executed game.

I just got this today on iPad 2, its playable, touch controls can still fail, on-screen joysticks are still not ideal.

Graphics arent pin sharp, theres rough edges, but the animation and gameplay is smooth.

BroHuffman said:
I love touch music games, but I haven't bought the 6 other songs yet. This game is a lot more challenging than groove coaster, and I've spent a lot of time just on one song trying to unlock the hard difficultly level.
Hah, me too. Still haven't got better than a B rank in the first song yet. I can FC it all the way until it starts doing the hold notes with all the other notes alongside them, and then I miss a couple and it all starts going away from me. I wish it ended about a minute earlier than it does, not so that I could A rank it easier, but it's just really started to outstay its welcome by then. I hope future music varies a lot in genre, 'cause I'm not particularly fond of any of the free tracks.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Zzoram said:
Can developers make the iPad use Retina assets when using an iPhone app? It would be a decent half-way to being Universal.

If you are Jailbroken, retinapad does exactly this. It is awesome.

Autofokus

Zeth said:
You don't need Ad-libs for the best "S" Rank, not even your total points count. Lots of Greats is what you need.

It feels a little bit weird though, got a better ranking without beating my old highscore.

Zzoram said:
Can developers make the iPad use Retina assets when using an iPhone app? It would be a decent half-way to being Universal.
Not officially. But if the interface is similar enough, it technically isn't that hard to build the universal app around it (would require some pre-planning though)

soldat7

ACE 1991 said:
So what do guys think is the best online enabled competitive iOS game? I've been considering picking up ascension.

Ascension? Buy, buy, buy!

Then buy Carcassonne. We have two active threads for both games here on GAF.

Huff

Banned
toythatkills said:
Hah, me too. Still haven't got better than a B rank in the first song yet. I can FC it all the way until it starts doing the hold notes with all the other notes alongside them, and then I miss a couple and it all starts going away from me. I wish it ended about a minute earlier than it does, not so that I could A rank it easier, but it's just really started to outstay its welcome by then. I hope future music varies a lot in genre, 'cause I'm not particularly fond of any of the free tracks.

Do you play with thumbs or fingers? And I know exactly the part your talking about. Drops me down everytime. Did you play the last downloadable free level? I can't even pass it yet. This game is really kicking my ass. But I think I'm going to buy the rest of the levels, really digging the music

BroHuffman said:
Do you play with thumbs or fingers? And I know exactly the part your talking about. Drops me down everytime. Did you play the last downloadable free level? I can't even pass it yet. This game is really kicking my ass. But I think I'm going to buy the rest of the levels, really digging the music
I've been playing with thumbs, but it's not working brilliantly. There's another bit in that first song, a double tap, but it's so hidden that I miss that every time too.

Just tried the last free song and passed it, but with a D!

Oxx

In a break from Groove Coastering I returned to Tiny Wings and managed to nail two of the achievements for the 8th nest. Woop.

Reese-015 said:

Did you actually bother to watch the video before posting a link to it? It'll be just as terrible as every other poor Korean cellphone port.

Cromulent_Word said:
I personally think that there's too much focus in the iOS market on heartlessly milking cash out of consumers, rather than respecting them and generating good will through mutual support like you see (indie) dev's doing on Steam, and to an extent on XBLA & PSN. The rad dudes at Simogo have been pumping out HUGE free updates for Bumpy Road because they want their supporters to continue to support. It's good business via being cool, rather than good business via business-first approaches. Anywho, i could blabber on about this, but in the end i think theres real business/financial reasons for studios like Capy/Superbrothers to look out for supporters first.

Sure, there was a chance #Sworcery could have charted a bit higher... but the only way to do that was to give the middle finger to the same people that supported us from day one.

I'm so torn on this subject. As a consumer, I totally respect the service of free updates in order to garner strong relationships. However, this is an age old debate (which is the same with XBL and PSN DLC). I recently sent message to the Battlehearts guys that I would've gladly handed over a dollar for the additional two character classes and balancing done with the most recent update. I can't think of too many Battleheart fans that would not. Had the update come during the game's most hyped period, I believe that the cash-for-content follow-through would've been much higher.

If developers give me a complete game and I pay for it, I'm fine. Every bit of additional content really is icing on the cake and deserves monetary compensation. It's a trickier situation with something like, say, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Console: Xbox and PlayStation 3) because who knows if specific characters were purposely withheld just to milk the audience into a second purchase?

Games like Sword and Sorcery, Bumpy Road, and Battlehearts appear to be complete and confined experiences that are already priced at damn near give-away values. Therefore, I always feel guilty whenever these devs choose to give away content - especially when they don't need to.

As for more selfish considerations, there's an understanding and agreement between consumer and producer that with monetary exchange comes expectation. When developers charge for content, our dollars say that we want more, and our monies fund that development. When devs give away stuff for free, you can only say thank you and take what you can get, when you can get it.

These dirt-cheap, but increasingly richer experiences, have to be subsidized somehow. Hypothetically, isn't the alternative twenty dollar point of entry on iDevice/Android gaming, or even worse, even crazier FREEMIUM models where we're headed? I fear that if content is continually given away for free, and/or repeatedly dropped to 1 or 2 bucks, not only is the expectation that quality games should COMPETE to be as gutter cheap as possible, it removes our (the consumer) obligation to support quality product when it hits the appstore instead of waiting for the discounts.

I'm just worried that this ecosystem - as much as I love it - will be short lived if consumers are continually spoiled by higher quality games being forced into lower price ranges while the EXPECTATION of FREE continues. There's a heated debate in this other GAF thread about the legitimacy of 40.00 games on traditional handheld gaming platforms. Currently, iDevice/Android gaming has hit this incredible sweet spot with impulse buy pricing. Higher tier HD titles usually fall under ten bucks with the rare Japanese exceptions going for just under 15. iPhone retina versions are usually about 50% less. When holiday sales hit, hot games plummet briefly to giveaway dollar deals.

My biggest fear is that gamers will begin to condition themselves to wait for holiday sales. The cost of entry is already so darn cheap on so many good games (COMPANIONS is only 6.99 and it's such a full game!), that I worry that this behavior pattern of free for the sake of fostering goodwill, as well as indistinguishable pricing between crap 99 cent games and GREAT games, will not only kill incentive for developers, but bring the whole house of cards falling in.

What do you Devs think, or am i worrying about nothing? I'm neither in a rush for twenty dollar iPhone games, nor do i love the Freemium model. What's your take?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Why can't Apple make the iPad use assets alreaedy in the iPhone Retina app if they're there?

Apple prefers that devs put effort into crafting an iPad specific interface, so they have no incentive to make it easy.

Granted, that's for apps more so than games, but I'm guessing it's just a blanket policy.

Reese-015

glaringradio said:
Did you actually bother to watch the video before posting a link to it? It'll be just as terrible as every other poor Korean cellphone port.

I did watch it and loved it because it seems to run smoothly. Every other Korean cellphone port runs at friggin' 15 fps. But then again, video recording and encoding can be deceptive. But if it's smooth, I'm gonna love this. It's my main and sometimes only issue with games like Illusia and Zenonia (and certainly the Maple Story ones) but it's a big issue for me.

teamaxe

BlackBanditSho said:
What do you Devs think, or am i worrying about nothing? I'm neither in a rush for twenty dollar iPhone games, nor do i love the Freemium model. What's your take?

Honestly, I think that we're in the Horse-Armor experimental stages of the mobile app business model. Everybody is throwing everything that they can at the wall, and everyone is waiting to see what will stick. Currently, it looks like Freemium and .99 are the methods that are working.

I think that the big guys have screwed this process, though. By putting games to .99 that are worth WAY more than .99, they've skewed the marketplace in the short term. I have more games on my iPhone now than I will be able to play ALL YEAR. I literally have a 2 pages of completely full folders of games I've played maybe 10%. So, when you guys are jumping on the next new thing... Groove Coaster... in this example, I have forced myself to not even look at a single review for it. I've got 3 months of backlog for games I haven't even touched yet. I'm not a fan of the Free-Game-A-Day thing, either, but that's another story. Of course, this is all coming from a non-games Dev that's releasing a free app, so take that as you will.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Hi guys,

we're looking for ALPHA testers for our game Kids vs Goblins on iPad. We will be sending out a new build this friday. All you need to do is play the game and give your opinion. We want to know what you hate about it :)

screen001.jpg

Karish

Bamihap said:
Hi guys,

we're looking for ALPHA testers for our game Kids vs Goblins on iPad. We will be sending out a new build this friday. All you need to do is play the game and give your opinion. We want to know what you hate about it :)

screen001.jpg

I signed up! Looks cool :)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If you remotely like rhythm games, go buy the fuck out of Groove Coaster. Don't even finish reading this sentence!

Jswanko

Bamihap said:
Hi guys,

we're looking for ALPHA testers for our game Kids vs Goblins on iPad. We will be sending out a new build this friday. All you need to do is play the game and give your opinion. We want to know what you hate it :)

All signed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom