• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nintendo 3DS design flaw? Lower screen scratches upper screen!?

Did they fix the problems in the NA Red model?

Nope. I bought one the Monday of Black Friday week and while the pads are definitely improved over my June Aqua Blue model, the lines still happen.

Though I'm somebody that has it in his pocket all day long, mind you.

Edit: Build quality overall seems to be improved, however.

Nope. I bought one the Monday of Black Friday week and while the pads are definitely improved over my June Aqua Blue model, the lines still happen.

Though I'm somebody that has it in his pocket all day long, mind you.

Edit: Build quality overall seems to be improved, however.

How are the screens? that french site says the 3D and such is better in the Zelda model, but what about the Red one?

Also I'm considering using a towel to keep in between the screens to avoid the scratches, what's the best thing to do? Or should I grab screen protectors? I had terrible luck with ones for my DS Phat where I couldn't take it off without scissors. XD

How are the screens? that french site says the 3D and such is better in the Zelda model, but what about the Red one?

Also I'm considering using a towel to keep in between the screens to avoid the scratches, what's the best thing to do? Or should I grab screen protectors? I had terrible luck with ones for my DS Phat where I couldn't take it off without scissors. XD

I don't see a discernible difference in the 3D tech.

On my Aqua 3DS I did the whole pads thing but with my Red model I'm just gonna switch the screen protectors out every 6 months or so, or whenever it bothers me anyway.

Go with Hori, by the way. Easy to put on and top notch quality.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hmmm getting close to heading out for a bit, and I am still debating if I'm going to try and grab one while I am out. The scratch thing is such a turn off.

dc89

Hmmm getting close to heading out for a bit, and I am still debating if I'm going to try and grab one while I am out. The scratch thing is such a turn off.

Still using the little piece of polystyrene/foam like sheet the unit ships with. Just pop the sheet inbetween the two screens and done.

I'm scratch free and have been since launch.

Mistle

Does anybody know if Nintendo Australia will replace my launch model if I send it in? I'm starting to notice slight scratches. All this time it's kind of just left residue that I could rub off, but it's starting to become worse than that I think.

dc89

Does anybody know if Nintendo Australia will replace my launch model if I send it in? I'm starting to notice slight scratches. All this time it's kind of just left residue that I could rub off, but it's starting to become worse than that I think.

Not sure what they do to be honest. Replace the unit or replace the screen. I'm sure someone in here can answer that.

zigg

As I've mentioned in this thread before, I had my 3DS "repaired" for scratches earlier this year. The scratches haven't returned, but I found a new problem: I cannot connect to WFC at all with DS games.

The first thing I noticed is that even though I'd transferred my WFC connection info from my DSi, DQIX was complaining about no access points in range. I went in and found the WFC setup was blank--and this is the key, on the Options page there was no WFC ID, just a bunch of hyphens.

The real problem, though (apart from rendering Friend Codes invalid) is that I cannot create a new connection at all. If I do, it will never connect, citing error code 20109. I've even gone so far as to transfer a new, 100% working WFC profile from my DSi and DS Lite; these profiles test out OK in the DS WFC config app but games cannot use them--20109 again.

I opened a repair order but I'm kinda going back and forth on fixing it. NOA CS says I can reformat the system to fix it (and this seems to be borne out by the scant other info I've found online), but I have tons of StreetPass data that I really don't want to lose. (I'm also not totally sure I won't lose e.g. save data from eShop games, or something else.) I think I'd send it in if I were reasonably guaranteed I'd still have my data intact when it came back, but I'm just not sure about that.

I'm curious if others out there who has had their 3DS sent in to Nintendo for repair can use DS games online anymore. And if anyone cares to be a guinea pig--can Nintendo repair actually fix it without destroying your on-system 3DS data?

backlot

As I've mentioned in this thread before, I had my 3DS "repaired" for scratches earlier this year. The scratches haven't returned, but I found a new problem: I cannot connect to WFC at all with DS games.

The first thing I noticed is that even though I'd transferred my WFC connection info from my DSi, DQIX was complaining about no access points in range. I went in and found the WFC setup was blank--and this is the key, on the Options page there was no WFC ID, just a bunch of hyphens.

The real problem, though (apart from rendering Friend Codes invalid) is that I cannot create a new connection at all. If I do, it will never connect, citing error code 20109. I've even gone so far as to transfer a new, 100% working WFC profile from my DSi and DS Lite; these profiles test out OK in the DS WFC config app but games cannot use them--20109 again.

I opened a repair order but I'm kinda going back and forth on fixing it. NOA CS says I can reformat the system to fix it (and this seems to be borne out by the scant other info I've found online), but I have tons of StreetPass data that I really don't want to lose. (I'm also not totally sure I won't lose e.g. save data from eShop games, or something else.) I think I'd send it in if I were reasonably guaranteed I'd still have my data intact when it came back, but I'm just not sure about that.

I'm curious if others out there who has had their 3DS sent in to Nintendo for repair can use DS games online anymore. And if anyone cares to be a guinea pig--can Nintendo repair actually fix it without destroying your on-system 3DS data?

I had my 3DS repaired last summer and just tried going online with Pokemon Black. It worked fine for me.

Peagles

This might be a dumb suggestion but.. are you running your wifi WEP security for your DS games? DS games don't support WPA (hence why my wifi at home remains on WEP and has done for the past years I've owned a DS). So it'd look like DS games don't work when actually they just don't have the know-how to deal with higher security settings.

zigg

This might be a dumb suggestion but.. are you running your wifi WEP security for your DS games? DS games don't support WPA (hence why my wifi at home remains on WEP and has done for the past years I've owned a DS). So it'd look like DS games don't work when actually they just don't have the know-how to deal with higher security settings.
Yeah, I have WEP available for old DS stuff. Actually still running the same router I had when Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing first went live :D All the DS Lites, DSis, and also my wife's and daughter's 3DSes can handle it just fine.

FWIW, I found this thread on Nintendo's TS forums, but it's kind of inconclusive: http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/12228

Fox1304

Got a new Zelda 3DS and there are marks on the screen. I can wipe them easily so they're not scratches but its a bit scary.

I thought the problem was solved on those models ?

dc89

Got a new Zelda 3DS and there are marks on the screen. I can wipe them easily so they're not scratches but its a bit scary.

I thought the problem was solved on those models ?

I'm going say if you're getting marks you're going to have this problem!

I also have the Zelda themed 3DS, and so far I haven't experienced any scratches or smudging, and with school, life, etc it has spent most of it's existence with me closed.

jett

D-Member
here's what mine looks like.

thank god i have a screen protector on since day one.

a23ad4ceb1c94162d90c11a431c6cbd8856d72d7.JPG

wtfisthisshit

duxstar

Ive had 2 grease lines forever and just ignore them because they're not that noticable during gameplay. What I cant ignore however is my R button starting to freak out and not work when being pressed or when held doesnt stay held down. Anyone else had this issue??? It makes mario kart 7 unplayable.

Roto13

I get the grease line of death but it just wipes right off. also, the circle pad left a grease circle of death, but that wipes off too.

I don't even bother with the spot from the circle pad any more. I figure I'm always touching it so it's always going to have gunk on it so it's never going to stop leaving a mark.

DarkKyo

I use a screen protector for my bottom screen and just lay a microfiber cloth in between the system when I shut it(I use the cloth a bunch of times while I'm playing anyways so it never needs to leave the system's side).

IrishNinja

aw man, i thought i read that this issue was fixed with the zelda bundle model but i'm starting to see a very faint line i think, might be a specific smudge but im getting a screen protector anyway.

what to go with? dude in the buy/sell thread is selling the amazon basics one that nintendo signs off on, but i think it only does 1 screen, is hori the one to go with? what should i do in the meantime to prevent this?

zethren

Banned
I just keep the little rubber foam slip (that came packaged between the two screens) slipped in between the screens when I'm not using it.

Wondering how this got through QA, myself. :/

I just keep the little rubber foam slip (that came packaged between the two screens) slipped in between the screens when I'm not using it.

Wondering how this got through QA, myself. :/
That's what I've been doing and my 3DS is scratch free. I saw the scratches on a friend's 3DS though, really hideous.

IrishNinja

Hori has 3 models of their screen protector, that one would not help against scratches from the circle pad on older models, since it only covers the screen area

Their deluxe one has protectors for the top and underside of the system as well... I don't know why you would want to protect the bottom though.

you know? you're right, it's only really the top one that needs it, gonna go with that amazon basics one in buy/sell i think, thanks man.

IrishNinja

aw, shit - and the amazon one i was asking about apparently only coves the bottom screen - i get that it's the one doing the scratching, but a really nice one for the upper would be more ideal, yeah?
can you link the specific hori one you're talking about?

*edit: ne'rmind, bought the lower screen one, amazon reviews sold me, heh. i just need something before this shit scratches, really.

Newsboy

Neo Member
My 3DS is never seen shut without a simple glasses cleaning cloth between the two screens. Lame that I even need to do this, but it's saving the screen from damage so I'm alright with it.

Got a Zelda 3DS to replace my launch unit on Black Friday. After I had done my data transfer and ambassador transfer I noticed the top screen was very yellowed and the hinge was very loose compared to my launch unit. The top yellow screen was unbearable, especially noticeable between races in Mario Kart 7 when the screen goes all white.

Called Nintendo last week, that same week got a replacement system (completely different serial), perfectly matched screens (white and white) with a tight hinge that has no click whatsoever like the other unit. They even transferred all my data including ambassador status to the new unit. Great customer service.

PKrockin

I'm finally going to send my launch unit in. It's gotten scratched pretty bad and it's starting to annoy me. How long did it take for you guys to get your 3DS back from Nintendo?

backlot

I'm finally going to send my launch unit in. It's gotten scratched pretty bad and it's starting to annoy me. How long did it take for you guys to get your 3DS back from Nintendo?

I sent mine in on a Monday morning and had it back before the weekend.

PKrockin

Thanks backlot. I skimmed the thread and noticed someone else said his turnaround time was eight days. Doesn't sound too bad.

-KRS-

So I put on a screen protector yesterday, so I had to remove the rubber feet I put on my 3DS for a bit to put the protector on there. And after I had put the protector on, I thought I should try it for a while without the rubber feet. So I closed the unit and proceeded to wipe off the top because it was full of fingerprints. Then I opened it again and already there were two nice vertical lines of smudge on the top screen. So I put the rubber feet on again. *sigh*

I have a red 3ds.

Their deluxe one has protectors for the top and underside of the system as well... I don't know why you would want to protect the bottom though.

Yo that bottom scratches like crazy. No really, it's really crazy how easily the bottom scratches. If you have a bag for the 3DS it shouldn't be a problem, but if you don't you have to really take care of that bottom to avoid scratches. So I can totally see why they made that.

Kyon

Banned
I got a 3DS for Christmas and i use the little foam paper the was in between the screens, anyone else do this?

IrishNinja

aw, shit - and the amazon one i was asking about apparently only coves the bottom screen - i get that it's the one doing the scratching, but a really nice one for the upper would be more ideal, yeah?

so yeah, got that bottom screen cover and it looks great, but..i'm not sure how it'd stop the bottom rim from scratching the top screen now. do i need one for the upper part too?

So I gave my 3DS a good wash last night with a damp spectacles cloth and just happened to catch it at the right angle to see two lovely vertical lines on my top screen :/.

Woo!

I was already aware of a dead pixel/scratch in the bottom right corner of the top screen but wasn't aware that those lines were there. Needless to say they would not be wiped off :(.

Now I am considering treating my launch black unit to a trip to Nintendo after buying a new red 3DS, to which I will do a system transfer. I could trade in the black original unit for fractionally more than what I can buy the new one for. Or I could keep both, retaining the black unit as my bespoke MH system upon the inevitable PAL released of MHTriG and MH4. The fact that I could also Street Pass the two systems with each other every day and power through the Street Pass Quest would be very handy too. Not that I have said anything about this of course because I wouldn't want to appear to be a nerd or anything.

Decisions, decisions.

First Word Problem!

Berordn

Yeah, I have WEP available for old DS stuff. Actually still running the same router I had when Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing first went live :D All the DS Lites, DSis, and also my wife's and daughter's 3DSes can handle it just fine.

FWIW, I found this thread on Nintendo's TS forums, but it's kind of inconclusive: http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/12228

I know I'm late on this, but the solution to that error is to change and update your DS profile on your 3DS settings. Apparently it doesn't register properly after a system transfer and you have to force it to rewrite it manually.

zigg

I know I'm late on this, but the solution to that error is to change and update your DS profile on your 3DS settings. Apparently it doesn't register properly after a system transfer and you have to force it to rewrite it manually.
You're not late; I'm still sitting on it. (Actually talked to NOA CS admin about it fairly recently...)

Can you clarify? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "change and update". Do you mean "Nintendo DS Connections" under "Internet"? It's worth noting that most of the weirdness is actually in there. I recently re-transferred a brand-new WFC profile from a DSi, and it will pass the connection test but error out with 20109 with all DS/DSi games. I can't erase that profile, either; the option is grayed out.

Top Bottom