• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Last Roundup, Swarm, or Lesson Zero are the least "Girly" of all the episodes in my opinion. All fine choices.

Godspeed good sir.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lesson Zero is pretty much the one to go with if you're looking to go for the absolute opposite of what you'd ordinarily expect from MLP.

I mean a pony practically kills a bear.

CassSept

I'd still go with Bridle Gossip. Flutterguy seems to convince a lot of people to watch the show.

Though Last Roundup might be a good one too.

halkun said:
Well the Japanese took Derpy talking as well as I thought they would :)

derpmz.png

Most of the "あああああああああああ" and "アアアアアアアアアア" is them yelling "aaaaahhhhh" after the sentence "Derpy Spoke!" (The "a" or more exactly the "ta" shows it's past tense")
シャべェッタアアアアアアアアアア = "SHABETTAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" = "SHE SPOKE~AAAAAAAAAAAA
more japanese reactions

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is it bad that I think those are more like typical channers using nico and posting in Japanese? It has happened before.

Tizoc

First Derpy, now Doctor Whooves?

I look forward to seeing the reaction images and GIFs of the Apple family from this ep.~

Scirrocco

What monorail?

...but dude...that Cider...WTF man.

The World Famous Springfield Monorail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_yLodI1CQ&feature=related

Tara Strong sounds like she had a cold when she recorded this.

I had expected there to be some sort of trick to the machine, like they were somehow stealing the apple families cider, but if they actually have a machine that can make cider thats as high quality (when working properly), then is it really flim flam?

Also, best letter to Celestia ever.

Boss Doggie

HAHAHAH FINALLY, BEST AJ EPISODE EVER

It acknowledges the very thing that irks me about AJ eps, that she is forced to learn something she already knows. I love that letter at the end, because she knows she's right!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dear Princess Celestia

I didn't learn a damn thing! I was right all along! Ha ha ha.

Sincerely, Applejack

Best letter ever!

Wait, you actually liked the letter at the end? I mean, I didn't not not dislike it, but given PonyGAF's outspoken hatred for Applejack, seeing her basically brag the entire letter - I thought you all would be up in arms. Or, uh, forelegs.

Anyway, really didn't expect a song. Rather liked it, too, even if the Flim-Flam brothers turned out to be total pricks in the end. (Really? They served the rotten cider? Surely, if they were going to cut a few corners for the contest, they'd be smart enough to only serve the batches that didn't have sticks and twigs floating in it...)

Also, if you keep running out of cider so fast, Apple family, stop giving Pinkie Pie several dozen servings. Impose a 1-per-pony limit! Not a hard concept, is it?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Clearly biased, but when they sing the name of the machine, "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" the music sounds a lot like the Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme song...

Boss Doggie

Hey, she's willing to pay, so it's fair deal.

And honestly, the only other good AJ ep that actually goes with her attitude is Applebucks Season. The rest forced AJ to learn a lesson she didn't need to learn - that's why I consider this episode actually mocking those episodes.

Also, did I really RD say "Big Mac can run on me the whole night?"

It was an alright episode, I guess the Flim Flams did their job because I didn't like them at all, but it kind of seemed apparent how things would play out. Come on bros, you're putting twigs and shit in cider, the fuck did you think this would turn out.

Best letter to Celestia so far? Yes I think so.

Wait, you actually liked the letter at the end? I mean, I didn't not not dislike it, but given PonyGAF's outspoken hatred for Applejack, seeing her basically brag the entire letter - I thought you all would be up in arms. Or, uh, forelegs.
It's okay when she brags because she also acknowledges that her friends are awesome in the process. I think people around here just ignore her for her lack of episode dedication and screentime generally rather than an actual dislike of the character.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
HAHAHAH FINALLY, BEST AJ EPISODE EVER

It acknowledges the very thing that irks me about AJ eps, that she is forced to learn something she already knows. I love that letter at the end, because she knows she's right!

Too bad she didn't learn that by getting more workers on the farm they could meet cider demand...

Okay episode.

The Flim Flams did themselves in by being cocky.

If they hadn't let the Apples cheat with that "Honorary Family" BS, they wouldn't have had to turn off the quality control on the machine.

Of course, the fact that they gave people the bad cider instead of the good batches they made before didn't help.

Also, Bloomabuse!

buck_by_gavalanche-d4nvhp2.png

Edit: Wow, JJ is fast!

good_morning_flim_and_flam_by_johnjoseco-d4nvn8t.png

Too bad she didn't learn that by getting more workers on the farm they could meet cider demand...
But the cider sales get them through the winter, which makes it sound like they're cutting it close as it is, makes it seem like they couldn't afford to hire more workers. Ponyville is pretty tightly knit as it is anyway and everyone seems to have their role in town anyhow, who is there to hire?

If only Trixie stuck around.

Thinking about it (or rather, having a post on Ponibooru pointed out to me by a poster on another forum), they could've avoided all this if the Apple family stood their ground firmer. Considering they control what's apparently the only apple supply in Ponyville (at least, the only one shown on-screen), they didn't have to lend Flim and Flam anything to build their credence with. They could've turned the 75-25 split around in their favor, since it'd otherwise just be 0-100, even if on the more meager profits they'd have originally been making (and at the risk of an angry Ponyville mob). I guess Flim and Flam just did a remarkably good job at using their doggone niceness against them.

On an unrelated note, I'm now wondering what Zap-Apple cider would turn out like.

Well, I honestly don't know what to expect from AJ episodes, so I went in blind, and hopeful much like last week. I liked the rather awkward beginning with Dash and Fluttershy, but felt bad for her to getting beaten by Pinkie Pie (but hey how can you fight her?) Overall like the episode over what I initially thought.

Highlights include:

1. Pinkie pie being a troll to the unforunate Rainbow Dash. (although not intentionally)

2. The 'Doctor' as the time-keeper.

3. Both Granny and Apple Bloom's starting all this nonsense with the wager.

4. Bon Bon, Bon Bon EVERYWHERE! (I counted three or four in the episode alone, with two near each other...)

5. Related, Lyra can jump REALLY high when waiting for cider.

6. The cider reactions; Cheerilee especially made me giggle.

7. I DIDN'T LEARN SHIT, PRINCESS! LOL I AM SO AWESOME FUCK EVERYONE ELSE! (ok I am being harsh, but it felt like that..=/)

Anyways, that's all I have for now. I am sure I forgot about something (and no, I shan't mention Derpy, she was there, that's all I needed ;p) but I did enjoy this much. Hmm, is anyone in the chat..? I may brave my webs to go in there soon.

Applejack is the bringer of enjoyable episodes, didn't expect to be hearing a song about Cider in this show but well there it was, now i'm just wondering what it tastes like after all that hype.

Darte

Song....check
Derpy cameo that didn't completely replace focus on AJ/Family episode....check
Troll letter to Celestia....check

Great episode lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
AJ: we can't cheat. Except for me letting you guys help.

There were lessons, like not being afraid to try new things. The machine worked perfectly, the problem was the two brothers. It could have helped the Apple family.

Sciz

Stream of consciousness as follows:

oh good, M.A. Larson episode

oh god, scienc-oh, it's magic

holy shit, Music Man referen-song and dance routine

what do you mean we're halfway through the episode and the only scene after the cold opener has been the cider queue

hi there Lyra

making cider out of trees seems unwise

eyup

greatest of letters

Applejack's never getting another starring role, is she

Are we ever getting a Fluttershy episode this season? Applebloom's had more screen time.
Eh, she'll probably get an episode further down the line. It's not so bad, though, I mean, she got a decent handful of episodes centering around her in Season 1 ("Dragonshy", "The Stare Master" and "Green Isn't Your Color" come to mind). Also, she's shy, she probably doesn't want the spotlight :p

Anyone else a bit disappointed that Fluttershy wasn't staring the apples out of the tree?
Y'know, I was wondering this exact same thing, after having her doing this in "Applebuck Season" pointed out to me.

Boss Doggie

So I guess alcohol is canon then, unless people think cider = juice.

I wonder if getting drunk has problems in Equestria.

The thing is, they don't have to. They can go by themselves without the need for more workers. Besides, more workers = more payment. Hell, they acknowledged that fact at the end.

AJ: we can't cheat. Except for me letting you guys help.

There were lessons, like not being afraid to try new things. The machine worked perfectly, the problem was the two brothers. It could have helped the Apple family.

They probably couldn't afford electricity.

I dunno, in America (and parts of Canada), Apple Cider generally isn't an alcoholic beverage - for that we have "hard cider". Otherwise it's just a much tarter apple juice.

However, the fact that those were fairly frothy mugs getting tossed around does make you wonder what side of the line the Apple family's cider falls under.

Maybe the cider machine could only be run by unicorns. That's what it seemed like.

I generally don't like seeing episodes become musicals partway through, but I enjoyed this one.

And yeah, in America, apple cider is basically hot, less sweet apple juice.

Top Bottom