• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #90 - The Coming Tide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "The Coming Tide"

b74f5c71.jpg

Congratulations to Tim the Wiz for winning the previous challenge, he's asked me to pick the theme this time, due to time constraints. Please interpret the theme however you see fit.

Word Limit: 2750

Submission Deadline: Closed

Submissions;

Voting begins Saturday, February 11th, and goes until Sunday, February 12th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Apocryphal

"Of doubtful authorship or authenticity" - perhaps your story is told by, or features a character who is an unreliable narrator, or characters motivated by an apocryphal story or belief.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Um... yes.... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss. My limbs are TINGLING from that secondary.

James Clemens' "The Banned and the Banished" series does this throughout the entirety of the series in such a way that by the end, you honestly don't know what to believe. It's the ultimate mindfuck and it works so well.

I hope to be one-tenth the writer he is and blatantly steal that idea.

V_Arnold

Oh, I got the weirdest geek chills right now. I am definitely in - unlike the last few times when I said that and I was not in. In fact, I will write this BEFORE Soul Calibur V gets released. Yes. That is the only way.

RDreamer

I'm going to definitely push myself to do this. And I should get more than just the one hour from the last time, so you guys will get to read something a little bit more polished.

Alucard

Banned
I'm in on this, but I'm not sure that I can write towards this theme. I've written a revenge western, where I suppose the character tracking her enemy could be considered "the coming tide." It might be a stretch, but I think I'll submit it after some editing.

Alfarif

I'm in on this, but I'm not sure that I can write towards this theme. I've written a revenge western, where I suppose the character tracking her enemy could be considered "the coming tide." It might be a stretch, but I think I'll submit it after some editing.

Interpret the theme as you see fit, just know that others may or may not interpert your story the same way.

I started writing and my god... I think this might just be... the best thing I've ever put to "paper." I think I'm a clever little bastard.

Aaron

My new year's resolution is to get back to doing this challenges. I'm not doing well so far, but at least I've started writing on this one.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just got an idea for this one but it literally just popped into my head so I dunno if I'm gonna be able to whip it out in a week. Hoping that making this post will light a fire under my butt. To the drawing board!

Alfarif

My new year's resolution is to get back to doing this challenges. I'm not doing well so far, but at least I've started writing on this one.

Welcome back, duder. I was missing some Aaron styled storytelling.

Cyan

Banned

Awesome!

Sounds like we're getting a bunch of stories this time around.

Alucard

Banned
Alright, I'm going to submit this as is. Still not totally happy with it, but it is what it is. This is honestly the first short story I have completed as an adult, and the first I have written from start to finish since...high school? Maybe elementary. Be kind, but critical. I'm worried whether people will interpret this as sticking with the theme.

One foot in the grave

Teresa Woodgrave stood over her brother’s body. It was cold. No pulse. Strangulation marks around the neck. A simple note had been left on his chest.

For Martha.

What vain pomp and arrogance. She knew the name. She knew the culprit, and where he would likely lie in wait for her. She knew what she was going to do about it. A primeval force urged her on. It was a game that had only one logical conclusion. There would be no mercy. No way of getting out. No God to carry anyone home upon clouds of light. Not in this bruised and barren wasteland in the middle of nowhere. There would only be hell. Only this. Always this.

As she dragged her brother through the shabby house into the backyard, the wind swirled dirt, and howled around her. She dug the grave quickly, moist-cheeked and red-eyed by the time it was done.

“Goodbye, Graham,” she choked, then piled the dirt onto her brother’s lifeless body. She fashioned a cross out of two sticks and some string that she had found in the house. She laughed at herself for this gesture, but had hope that salvation would at least come for one Woodgrave. If it were going to be for anyone, it would be Graham.

“Say hi to mom and dad for me.” She got down on one knee, kissed her right middle and index fingers, then pressed them to the dirt beneath the cross. With hard-set jaw and fiery eyes, she forced herself to rise, and walked away.

Out front, Teresa sedately climbed onto her horse, her rifle slung over her shoulder into the holster on her back, and kicked the animal into a trot. She was on her way. Marcos would pay with his life for his atrocity. She had no intention of falling through the jaws of the devil’s playground herself; it would be Marcos writhing outside of hell’s gates before the sun set.

•

The sun sat high above the mountains, and Teresa journeyed on. She thought of her brother as a child; his laugh, his rebellion, his brash-yet-soothing nature. She thought of Martha. Martha…

Graham was set to marry her. He had the tux picked out, and was a week away from promising himself to Martha forever. Marcos didn’t take kindly. He thought Martha was his, and that Graham was nothing more than a hoi polloi hick with nothing to give her. No future. Not the one she deserved. Not the one that Marcos and his wealth could provide.
Everything was in reach for Marcos. Everything except for Martha. It drove him insane. Graham and Martha’s union was a piercing ray of sunlight, always blinding him from the periphery of his vision. He couldn’t take it, so he decided to take everything into his own hands. Took a rope, tied it around Graham’s neck, and squeezed tightly until the last scrap of life escaped Graham’s purple lips. So much wreckage and jealousy, all for a girl’s heart. The downfall of all men in the wild.

Teresa blinked in the baking heat, stopped by the side of the dirt path, and greedily quaffed water from her canteen. She pictured the scene. Marcos would be rabid. Unpredictable. On edge. Bloodthirsty. She would have to be ready, for it would be her equanimity against his animalism. She would have to blend her instinct with sagacity. Passion with intellect. She couldn’t succumb to her primitive urge to lash out in blind revenge. No. She had to control her atavistic thirst for killing, but she couldn’t be cold, either. Her mother and father had taught her otherwise. “Temper your animal nature, but don’t close your heart, darlin’. Always seek the balance.” Graham had epitomized their parents’ wisdom. Teresa struggled with these words now, but knew she had to make them her mantra if she were to survive. She looked to the mountains in the north, and prepared for her fate. She got onto her horse, and rode with solemnity and decisiveness in her heart.

A while later, Teresa’s horse crested a dry hill. The sun was near setting, now. Sprawling out below her, she saw an open valley, and Marcos’ mansion near the rear, huddled beneath the mountains. “Coward,” she whispered. She jumped off her horse, patted its mouth, grabbed it by its muzzle, and walked down the hill into her personal cauldron of death. She decided to walk down to get the blood flowing in her legs before the battle she knew was coming.

Teresa neared the mansion. She felt the mountains as mammoth devil’s hands seeking to suffocate her. Her heart raced as she inched closer to the opulent dwelling, her mouth dry from the journey, but thirsty for the end. Waves of sand and musty heat blurred her vision. Every pore sucked in the moment’s sensations. She struggled to keep her mind clear, as the conditions beat against her and her horse. She was less than fifty yards away now.

“Aiiieeeeeeeee!”

It was a woman’s shrill cry of pain. It had come from inside the house. Martha?

Teresa stopped a moment, and pulled out her rifle from the holster on her back. She held it at her side, one hand on her twelve gauge, and one on her horse’s muzzle, continuing towards the house. The screams continued, re-galvanizing Teresa’s resolve.

She could now see through the windows of the house. She made out a figure crying in a chair, and a man moving around the chair with his arms flailing about in wild gesticulations as he shouted indecipherable curses. The two were so fixed on each other that Teresa’s approach was undetected. She got to the front gate, let go of her horse, and unhooked the latch to enter the yard.

“Marcos!” Teresa shouted. She caught his wild eyes through the window, and saw him turn towards the door. She caught a glimpse of Martha’s face, which was covered with a white diaphanous veil. Marcos’ madness had bubbled over.

The door blasted open; Teresa placed her rifle against her shoulder, and looked through the sight. “Temper your animal nature, but don’t close your heart” she thought. Marcos stood unarmed in the doorway. His brashness surprised Teresa, and she flinched a moment. She didn’t expect him unarmed. She didn’t expect Martha.

“You gonna shoot an unarmed man in front of his house?!” Marcos yelled.

Teresa bit down hard on her bottom lip. Marcos seemed to dance in her swaying sight. Flashes of Graham’s corpse flitted through Teresa’s mind; laying the dirt upon his body; stabbing the cross into the earth. Graham…

“She’s mine, Teresa! She ain’t ever been anyone else’s! I can give her every pretty thing she can think of! Your brother…!”

“Don’t say his name! Don’t you say it! You don’t deserve to say his name!” Teresa roared, the gun still tucked against her body.

Marcos laughed mockingly, and fired back. “Don’t tell me what I don’t deserve, honey. I’ve worked too damned hard all my life to be told what I do and don’t deserve. Martha’s my grand prize. She don’t know it, yet, but she will in time. We’re gonna get ourselves married, ain’t we, Martha darlin’? Have ourselves a couple of kids and live the life we’ve always dreamed.” Marcos looked back into the house at Martha. Teresa could still make her out through the window. She was in shock. She sat in her chair, her hands shaking with fear, her face stricken with terror. There were no ropes. Marcos’ will had bound her. She wept.

“She’s never been yours, Marcos,” Teresa said, trying to hold in her rage as best as she could. “Look at her. Does it look like she wants to be with you? Does it look like she wants to be touched by your bloody hands?” She chewed off the final words, and Graham’s purple lips flashed before her. Her trigger finger tensed.

“Love takes time, honey,” Marcos spat back, “and in time she’ll see that I’m the only man for her. She’ll accept your piece of trash brother for what he was!”

A gunshot echoed across the valley. Teresa’s eyes welled with tears. She eased her finger off the trigger. The dust from her shot floated away from beside Marcos. The bullet had hit the wall to his right. Martha yelled inside, as if woken from a horrific nightmare. Marcos stood resolute in the doorway, cocky-stared and brazen-willed. Teresa started walking towards him. She re-loaded her gun, and fired off another shot; this one to Marcos’ left. She re-loaded again. Another shot, this time landing at Marcos’ feet. Teresa bent down on one knee, about fifteen feet away from Marcos, loaded another shell, and stared through the sight at her target with gritted teeth and barbarian eyes.

“You had no right.” The words seethed out of Teresa’s mouth. “You had no right, and you don’t deserve to live.”

Another shot blasted out as the sun kissed the horizon in the west. Marcos crumpled to the floor. Teresa blinked away dust and tears, lowered the barrel of her rifle, and gaped in shock. A bullet wound bloodied the back of Marcos’ left shoulder. Martha stepped into Teresa’s line of sight, pistol in her right hand.

“Dumb bastard left it on the table. He just left it,” Martha choked out. She removed the wedding veil from her head, and held it firmly. She walked over to Marcos, and dug her heel into the bullet wound. Marcos wailed like an infant, and writhed at his front door.

“You want to finish it?” Teresa asked, rising off her knee. Martha kicked Marcos in the ribs, then stepped off the porch.

“No. We do that, and we’re no better than him. No better than brutes. There’re laws that’ll take care of him.” She walked as if in a trance. Teresa stepped towards her sister, and wrapped her arms around her.

“Now,” Martha said, “take me to my husband.”

Alfarif

You ever have one of those stories that you start writing and you're like "Oh man, this is gonna be good" and then you get 90% of the way through it and can't figure out WTF just happened? Yeah, that happened. But, today, I had a break through. I figured out how to fix the idea and make it make sense. Now I have to reassemble it in two days. Shit, shit, shit.

Irish

You ever have one of those stories that you start writing and you're like "Oh man, this is gonna be good" and then you get 90% of the way through it and can't figure out WTF just happened? Yeah, that happened. But, today, I had a break through. I figured out how to fix the idea and make it make sense. Now I have to reassemble it in two days. Shit, shit, shit.

Two days? That ain't shit. Plenty of time.

Gah, I stayed up writing till 4:30 AM and got most of my story done, only to realise that the deadline is for Friday x_x

Oh well, gives me time to edit it for once.

Senoculum

Heya!

First time 'round these parts, so here's my submission. I'm not entirely sure it follows the interpretations from others regarding the theme. I'm looking forward to the stories here, and future challenges!

Word Count: 923

Check it out here: Dark Black

Ashes

Banned
I think it's better if you password protect stuff. And I think we are soon enough going to stop publically displaying the password we all use. Everyone that uses one have settled naturally on on one.

Quote my story post to see password. But I think at the moment, in this transitory phase, we still show the password in the nominations list post.

Alfarif

Slip. Static. Shift.

Word Count: 2,416

A man wakes up with no knowledge of who he is or why he exists. The devil's in the details.

http://tidypub.org/iJOkG

Story explanation -
I wanted the narrator to be completely unreliable, so I made the narrator a computer (or at least make it seem like it's one). It just can't keep the details straight. Or, if Stone starts questioning something, it has a "do over" moment. Stone is either strapped in somewhere being fed all of these lines of BS (possibly subdued like the girl says happened at one point) or he is what the girl says he is and this is part of the process to force him into a choice.

Irish

The best stories always start off in the rain. Dark clouds rolling overhead. Lighting dodging its way around the rougher patches, shooting through the darkness like fireflies on the wing. Droplets of water burst like bombs, yet release only the softest of whispers as they kiss the pavement below. Chill winds carry the broken fragments into the air, only to drop them once more.

"Will you hurry the fuck up?"

Dark hair, green eyes, pale face, gray jacket, black fingerless gloves, darkness, and a blur. Always the same description. Practically worthless. That's fine by me. I drive him there. He does what he needs to do. I try and hunt him down.

It's my job to stop him. I won't do it, but I'll still collect the pay. Why should I? He kills those who deserve to die. I know it is a sign of our humanity to forgive and forget and leave the fate of the world in the hands of a blind justice. Well, maybe I'm not so human in the end. He sure as hell isn't. If he wasn't so damn efficient, I would probably be out there doing the same thing myself.

People make choices. Some make bad ones. I'm not willing to let them get away with it. A human might. Those types just love being walked on. Personally, I don't fight fire with speech. I just wait for him to call me and then I pick him up.

I always pick him up at the same bus stop. Can't even fucking see the guy when he's standing right below the buzzing fluorescent light. The eyes just roll off him. I stop. He gets in.

"Hurry the fuck up."

He says it and I drive.

I won't stop him. No. Let the cunts die.

___

Heh. I don't even know what in the hell I'm rambling about. I just knew that if I didn't do anything at all for this challenge, I would probably leave for good.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
From the Windy West Came the Mourning Martyr
(2,700 words)

It is a ghost town, yes, but in its ruin it is more alive than any bustling metropolis, for it serves as a monument of martyrdom. Listen: the west wind blows down Dream Street, bringing with it the irresistible tide of memory.

Long before any of you were born the name of the town was Bastion, the outpost at the borderline between hope and despair, and the limit of the western expansion. Many a pilgrim and pioneer set out from Bastion to follow the sinking sun and cross the wind-swept plains of the west, none to ever return. But it was not death but martyrdom which lay in wait for them. The Mourning Martyrs, a sect without a religion, for no kindly god of men would allow the wretched race into his heavenly herd, defined themselves by their grief, and if no grief was to be found, it was to be made. The Martyrs were cursed by their two-fold sacrilege; they ended their own lives, yet remained to mourn the loss. This is what was meant by martyrdom in circles where the west wind was thought to carry with it the separation of souls, and it was the ranks of these forlorn figures the men who dared to follow the sun invariably joined.

After a time no traveller alive challenged the western plains, Bastion remaining the westernmost settlement in the world. The Martyrs themselves did not build cities. Their budding societies crumbled under the weight of their desire for sorrow, as the works of men cut down in their infancy is a tragedy equivalent to a blossom withering in early spring.

But the plainsfolk, as the men of the frontier towns called themselves, did not remain blissfully ignorant of the poisonous presence of the Martyrs, and none less so than the brave men and women of Bastion. There were those Martyrs who would leave their desert home to come into towns, preaching their twisted teachings and leaving sorrow-ridden souls in their wake. Like false prophets they spread their dogma of suffering, like lepers their hatred of civilized life. Their special brand of self-flagellation through asceticism taken to extremity was so appealing to the younger and more idealistic plainsfolk, tired of and appalled by what they perceived to be the bodily and spiritual cost of the expansion, the Elders were left with no choice: to protect these misguided youths most susceptible to live like animals to be at peace with nature's ways, they banished the Martyrs for good, sending the wicked race of the west to live with their winds.

Oh, but the winds. Not long after the banishment it became clear that the Martyrs themselves were a mere avatar for the melancholy message of martyrdom, it being more than capable of spreading itself like the disease it was, and no quarantine would have been sufficient to limit its lethal influence. The wind was its swift-footed messenger, the undiscriminating assassin of some heathen deity of yore left to plague the unhappy earth. It was in those days the desert wind came to be known as the breath of the Beast. It travelled low, and when it blew from the west no plainsfolk were seen outside. It struck the ankles like so many icicles, crawled up the victim's legs to cradle the chest in its frosty fist, and then a squeeze, and all that could be done in that vice grip of winter was to gasp for breath in vain.

Such was the world when the sunset was robbed from the plainsfolk, no man courageous enough to direct his eyes toward the west at dusk lest they themselves should feel the contagion of martyrdom, and nothing but hard-held hope keeping them from fleeing back to the east. They were the days of fear and uncertainty for the plainsfolk, but from that fear was born the introspection which was the cause of the great moral strength of their character, as the eyes of a man who examines his own reflection are always alert and critical. This is what made Bastion the crossroads of hope and of despair: the men of the town lived in hope in preparation for despair, certain that the time would come when the tide of martyrdom would rise from the sandy sea and swallow the town whole at one fell swoop.

Was it predestined, then, that when the sun sank unwitnessed on that day in late summer, the sky orange and the red dry earth naught but shadows, a figure travelled on foot from the west toward Bastion? None lived who had seen a Martyr, alive or dead, but there would have been no mistaking the identity of the lonesome wanderer. Shrouded entirely in black, the heat of the desert only adding to their perverted embrace of strife and struggle, his only humane feature a white mask, the plaster face entirely emotionless, even the eyes covered with a thin layer of gauze. Although uniform in their outward appearance of sorrow, the mask of this particular Martyr was chipped at the corner of the mouth, revealing a patch of pale skin around faint dry lips.

But the Martyr was not alone, as they seldom were. Beside him walked a matted grey mutt, any colours being offensive to its master race. Indeed, it is a symbol of our woeful world that this most loyal of creatures should be twice-wronged by history: in antiquity cursed to serve as the animal of Ares, to pull the cowardly god's wagons of war over the ensanguined fields; in our time to share the Martyrs' silent company, save when the moon was full. Under a canopy of stars they would send their grief to heaven on their howl, instead of savouring it, for even dogs understood what the Martyrs did not.

No eyes bore witness when the Martyr walked into the mouth of Bastion. Dream Street, the thoroughfare of the town, was empty and silent, but that did not mean the arrival went unnoticed. None were asleep, and the plainsfolk, their souls wide awake, needed neither sight nor sound to confirm what they already knew: martyrdom had come to Bastion, and more than ever each and every one of them was aware of the first lines of the familiar nursery rhyme of their childhood: when the west wind wakes, the spell of sleep breaks. But had they gone out they would have felt the western breeze like never before: the wind that should have chilled and killed outright scarcely scattered the dust and dirt of Dream Street.

In the saloon were gathered men who scoffed at stories of the searching sorrow at daybreak and kept a silent vigil at nightfall, and never more so than this night. Prepared to sleep under the tables not to face the sickly dark of Dream Street, fear had made a home in each man’s heart. At first all they heard from outside was the anxious whinnying of horses, save in their stables, but soon the planks of the red cedar deck creaked under the weight of unwelcome feet, and all eyes were fixed on the large window which the darkness without had made a mirror, revealing with terrible accuracy the terror sketched on each countenance around the large table. At length, behind the reflection of their terror-stricken faces, they saw a patch of darkness grow deeper and moving, until it left the window and reached the door.

With a wail the wind entered in, and for a moment the room became a playground of flickering lights and wavering shadows. Paralyzed by fear, the men could do nothing but pray in silence and wait for the nocturnal visitor to let loose the Beast upon them, but the door closed and the wind died, and all they saw was the solitary Martyr. To the men at the table he paid no attention, but walked to the bar and took a seat on a stool, the hem of his dark robe cascading to the floor, as if to put his coal black soul on display for all to see. The barkeep recoiled at first, but soon recognized the universal demeanour of a man in need of a drink and approached. The Martyr spoke, so quiet no man at the table heard him, and the barkeep poured him a snifter half-full of scotch. Another silent word and the barkeep filled it to the brim and left the bottle. The Martyr stared at his glass for a moment, as if contemplating some deeper meaning behind it, then signed the barkeep back. From underneath the counter the barkeep produced a straw, its added mass enough to spill some scotch, which the martyr then used to suck the liquid through the crack in his mask.

The men in the room stared at this peculiar sight in wonder, finding themselves more at ease in their logic that no man who drinks can be all bad, that numbing nectar being the sinner’s remedy to the world. The bravest man in town, Gilliam O’Malley, a man wary of the formless wind but who would not tremble before any creature of flesh and bone, rose from his seat and went to the Martyr. Behind the protective bulk of O’Malley came his son, a lad of fourteen.

“And just what the hell ya reckon ya is doing?” O’Malley demanded.

“Pardon?” The Martyr replied, terminating his endless suction for a spell.

“I don’t know what ya’ll be up to in that big ol’ desert of yours, but I know it ain’t no good.”

“I assure you, I mean no harm, friend. “The Martyr replied. “To you or to your town.”

“You ain’t my friend, martyr! You git back to yer kind and we won’t have no problem here.”

“There is no my kind.” The Martyr said. “The wind tells the news of the desert, and no longer does it carry the grief of my kin, just echoes of my own.”

“What ya say? Speak sense, martyr!”

“There are no Mourning Martyrs left,” the Martyr said. “You are all free to live in sin and decadence.”

The ineffable emotions which flooded every mind in the room at these words no man ever dreamed of hearing hardly need expressing. O’Malley merely gasped out loud, “No more martyrs!” and rushed for the door. Even in his excitement he paused upon reaching the exit and took a deep breath to prepare for a dive into the depths of the unholy night of the wind, but when he pushed it open a light gust entered again, even weaker than before, and every man present rejoiced in what they knew to be the death rattle of the Beast. “No more mourning martyrs,” O’Malley's declaration sounded from the streets.

The Martyr was left to his drink by the counter with the barkeep and O’Malley’s boy. The barkeep had found a glass to rub with a rag as he approached his newest patron.

“I was under the impression you martyrs weren’t suppose to drink.”

“I have mourned their way long enough,” the Martyr said. “Now I’ll mourn in mine. I’ll drink until I die.”

“That’s no way to drink,” the barkeep advised. “The trick is to drink just enough that you don’t die, that way you can drink more later.”

“Repetition is not particularly appealing to a man sick of the desert.”

“I can see how that might be the case, but there’s other things for a man to do,” the barkeep mused, all the while cleaning his conspicuously clean glass. “Like the brothel.”

The boy heard his father’s call, and followed in his footsteps. Outside a crowd had now gathered in front of the saloon. Hardly could the boy believe his eyes. The wind was blowing from the west, a weak but noticeable breeze, yet people were outside at night, smiling and laughing. O'Malley was talking to the Sheriff, and beckoned his son to him. As the boy stepped forward to go to his father he saw out of the corner of his eye the Martyr's mutt sitting next to the door of the saloon, panting in the escaping heat of a summer night and looking at the throng with its pleading eyes, but whether the Martyr's canine companion was asking for liberty or death none could tell.

The Sheriff had decided to send a messenger immediately to the nearest town. O'Malley of course desired to be this man no doubt songs would be written of, but due to an inner ear condition was unable to stay on a horse. Not one to give up so easily, and to ensure his name would live on in legend, he had volunteered his son to go instead. While waiting for a restless horse to be saddled for him, the boy listened to the Sheriff and the crowd argue what should be done with the Martyr in the saloon. Lynching was the most popular suggestion, but the boy told them about the Martyr's intention to commit suicide by liquid, the last pus seeping out of the world's wound of its own accord before the long healing process could begin.

“This is wonderful!” the Sheriff declared. “Let the bastard drink until he pops, no need for the fine plainsfolk to soil their hands with him.”

So the boy set off to the cheers of the townsfolk, with a heavy heart. But it was not the leaving that was grieving the chosen courier. All his young live he had dreamt of leaving Bastion, but not the way he was going. Even to spread the happy news going east felt like a retreat to a son of Bastion. It was the west his soul had always longed for. Far from the town he turned his head, and over his shoulder he saw Bastion all alight, and on his back he felt the wind. But far from pleading him to halt, it seemed to spur him on.

The boy rode through the night, his horse’s hooves barely touching the ground. It had started the journey in full gallop, yet its speed seemed to be ever increasing, seeming to fly over the West Road on wind’s wings. But was the animal eager to spread the news, or did it know something men did not?

With such speed the boy soon reached the nearest town and was received immediately, for a courier from Bastion would not be kept waiting even in the dead of night. The news were met with incredulity that soon gave way for unbridled excitement and ecstasy. Riders were instantly dispatched to all towns of the plains to spread the word, and a convoy to Bastion was to be set out the following day, representatives of all the men of the plains were to enjoy the very next sunset in Dream Street. The last Martyr's endeavor was expected to be complete by then, the plains finally free of their curse.

After a long but restless sleep the boy joined the convoy that was to reach Bastion just before dusk. Riding in a wagon, the horse he came with having been uncontrollable since his arrival, he expected to see the well lit town from far away, shining in the night as the new beacon of progress in the retreating dark. But when it at last came in sight, no lights were seen, no people celebrating outside. The sun was beginning to set when they reached Dream Street, shivers traveling down each spine upon finding not a soul in wait. The doors were all ajar, window shutters flapped despondently in the wind, and tumbleweeds charged toward the procession on a wind that crawled up the legs. A trail of clothes, shed like dead skin or torn off like soul sucking parasites, ran down Dream Street toward the west. That boy knew then that Dream Street would spend forever dreaming in restless sleep, and that nothing living would ever again call Bastion home.

Ward

Disagreements Lead to Indications of Resolution

words: 1033

Wanted another pass, but I don't have the time. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom