• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
"DIDN'T LEARN, LOL!!"

iJL2mS861JuwO.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think the problem belies on the fact that the brothers wanted more in the share.

Like I said - they are horrible businessmen.

and lets remember: running the loser out of town was granny smiths idea.

I disagree - it's one of those reverse-psychology things where you won't really say it but expect your opponent to say it. It's a typical cartoon thing.

And again, they stated that they have been kicked out in other towns too, and it is hinted that it is by the same manner.

I think a certain tragedy that gets overlooked in this episode is that the Flim Flams uprooted a couple trees. Keep in mind Applejack is a pony who will read an apple tree a bedtime story and reserve an entire train car for it so that it can rest in quiet. Through this episode they effectively murdered a part of her family.

Then what about the kid's cereal? That's named after booze, too?
That's named after craziness. The stuff doesn't even taste like apples. Looking it up the name of the cereal apparently comes from the fact that the original shapes for it had an "X" in there as well so as to look sorta like toy jacks.

Basically they wanted to make money by offering a superior service and/or product.

Are we supposed to feel bad for applejack because the flim brothers are better cider makers?

and lets remember: running the loser out of town was granny smiths idea.
I don't know if you were supposed to feel sorry for her, but she was getting stressed being wrapped up in the whole thing because of Apple Bloom and Granny Smith mouthing off.

EX1zs.jpg

Though in the end and through some luck, Granny Smith's run out of town gambit worked. Otherwise they would have undercut their sales, and they wouldn't have managed to stay afloat through the winter.

And real talk, despite the nearsightedness of the town in this episode, had the Flim Flams actually run the Apple family out of town it would've been worse off for everyone but them. They only offer cider, and they probably would've jacked up prices considering they're only in it for the business.

Cheerilee

OK question. Am I looking too much into this, or did they just do this...

I'm convinced that Granny's "nobody calls me chicken" was a Back to the Future reference, so perhaps I'm not a good judge.

I think Applejack's letter to Celestia was pretty awesome, but Applejack wasn't right all along, she made several big mistakes (like not stopping Apple Bloom and Granny from recklessly betting the farm on an absurd boast that they could more than satisfy the entire town in less than an hour), and should have learned something from them.

Twilight to Applejack: "Are you sure this is such a good idea?"
Applejack: "Me and the family are 100% confident in our cider making capabilities."

Twilight to Applejack when it's plainly obvious Applejack's going to lose: Is it time to cheat now?
Applejack: Why yes, now would be a very good time to cheat. Thank you for offering.

I think the problem belies on the fact that the brothers wanted more in the share.
The Apple family was angering the locals because they couldn't meet the demand. They claimed they were doing all they could, but I'm sure they were actually trying hardest when the competition was on. Regular days? Nah.

And the Flim Flam brothers had a machine that could effortlessly produce comparable product three times as fast as the Apple family's fastest. Full town satisfaction in one hour. (Wait, does this mean that the Apple family's commitment to cider was maybe about an hour a day?) The market could be not just satisfied, but grow to eight times the town's size, and the brothers would still only need to put in an eight hour day. The Apple family claimed to still have a quality edge, but that was probably before the competition when they were taking their time. And with the Apple family's help, the machine might even be refined to reach higher levels of quality. Applejack's exports could've dominated Canterlot, Manehattan, Cloudsdale... now what do you think will happen to Ponyville if the brothers ever get established?

When the untrained Mane 6 jumped in, the Apple family's output suddenly became five times what it was. When it comes to making cider, one Fluttershy is apparently worth four Applejacks, one Pinkie Pie is worth four Apple Blooms, one Rarity is worth four Granny Smiths, and one Rainbow Dash is worth four Big Macs. Does that math sound normal to anyone? The Mane 6 were making volume, not quality. I wouldn't be surprised if their product was worse than the machine.

The Flim Flam brothers were desperate so they did basically the same thing the Apple family did, and turned off quality control. And that's what did them in, because they could only turn their quality off, not dial it down. Their machine was never built with the ability to produce shoddy product.

If the Flim Flam brothers were bringing the Apple Family a way for them to meet demand and make much more cider effortlessly, freeing the Apple Family up for other money-making endeavors, that should be worth something to both of them.

I think all the Flim Flam brothers wanted was a place to settle down and get paid good money to rest easy and operate the machine. And yes, the brothers drove a hard bargain with their first offer. The Apple family left a huge untapped market they could exploit, even if Ponyville largely preferred Apple family cider as a luxury item. The brothers probably could've been negotiated down to 50/50 or less and then everyone would have been happy. The end of the episode even showed that they were willing to be talked down, to a penny a barrel even. The brothers could basically have joined the Apple Family (they even already had the right cutie marks).

I think Applejack's letter to Celestia was pretty awesome, but Applejack wasn't right all along, she made several big mistakes (like not stopping Apple Bloom and Granny from recklessly betting the farm on an absurd boast that they could more than satisfy the entire town in less than an hour), and should have learned something from them.
Is that really a mistake in the end? If they hadn't went along with that bet, they would've been screwed.

Twilight to Applejack: "Are you sure this is such a good idea?"
Applejack: "Me and the family are 100% confident in our cider making capabilities."

Twilight to Applejack when it's plainly obvious Applejack's going to lose: Is it time to cheat now?
Applejack: Why yes, now would be a very good time to cheat. Thank you for offering.
Well, for what it's worth that doesn't necessarily entail being confident in how fast they can make it. :D

And hey, everyone consented to it, her friends helping was not cheating. It was just continuity that carried over from Applebuck Season, when Twilight offered to help, she gladly accepted.

When the untrained Mane 6 jumped in, the Apple family's output suddenly became five times what it was. When it comes to making cider, one Fluttershy is apparently worth four Applejacks, one Pinkie Pie is worth four Apple Blooms, one Rarity is worth four Granny Smiths, and one Rainbow Dash is worth four Big Macs. Does that math sound normal to anyone? The Mane 6 were making volume, not quality. I wouldn't be surprised if their product was worse than the machine.
I think there are a couple of things to consider here. I can believe that Pinkie Pie is more efficient than Apple Bloom at collecting apples, and I can also believe that Rarity is quicker at making quality decisions with the apples than Granny Smith. However with Big Mac and Rainbow Dash at the machine it could work at full speed without tiring out Big Mac.

I think all the Flim Flam brothers wanted was a place to settle down and get paid good money to rest easy and operate the machine. And yes, the brothers drove a hard bargain with their first offer. The Apple family left a huge untapped market they could exploit, even if Ponyville largely preferred Apple family cider as a luxury item. The brothers probably could've been negotiated down to 50/50 or less and then everyone would have been happy. The end of the episode even showed that they were willing to be talked down, to a penny a barrel even. The brothers could basically have joined the Apple Family (they even already had the right cutie marks).
Ultimately I think the Flim Flams and Apple family could've had something good going together. With the way they were written though (and come on, their names are Flim Flam) I don't think they just wanted to settle down. They saw a chance to pounce on the current situation with the Apple family and either exploit them or eliminate them from the market. And just look at their transportation, it's not lugging the cider machine with it, it IS the cider machine. They're drifters, going from spot to spot to make a quick buck and bailing.

Cheerilee

I think I just noticed a math problem with the episode.

At the start of the episode, the Apple family was selling 13 barrels of cider (twelve in the pile, one initially on tap).

The Apple family would have presumably been trying to outdo that number during the contest, and the Flim Flam brothers consistent machine output was said to be 3-to-1 faster, producing 2 more barrels for their three-barrel time period.

When the Mane 6 joined in, they were said to be faster than the machine, 5-to-3, producing 2 more barrels for their three-barrel time period.

The only way this improved rate could have been a threat to the brothers (causing them to change plans) was if the hour wasn't even half over. If it was instituted at the halfway point or later, Twilight's plan would only be a catch-up plan, not a winning plan.

So the Apple's assisted final output total should've been about the same as or maybe a bit more than the machine's theoretical total had been without a change of plans. AKA: three times the Apple family's non-assisted fastest.

But the Apple family's (enhanced) end total appears to be 33 barrels (three barrels on top of four barrels on top of presumably five, six, seven, and eight barrels).

Three times the Apple family's non-competition number would be 39 barrels. The brothers machine should've made 39 barrels or more in one hour. The brothers machine should have won regardless.

I'm guessing that either the Apple family eventually got tired and slowed while the machine didn't, or the brothers were simply idiots (or a combination of both), and I'm inclined to believe the latter is true, considering that by my rough count they made at least 80 barrels.

Is that really a mistake in the end? If they hadn't went along with that bet, they would've been screwed.
It was a bet they really couldn't win (Apple Bloom was being an idiot, and Granny Smith knew better until she snapped), and they wouldn't have been screwed, they would've just had competition picking up the bottom half of their market, with eyes on more. The Apple family has a superior-quality product, some degree of customer loyalty, and they don't need to ship their goods.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It was a bet they really couldn't win (Apple Bloom was being an idiot, and Granny Smith knew better until she snapped), and they wouldn't have been screwed, they would've just had competition picking up the bottom half of their market, with eyes on more. The Apple family has a superior-quality product, some degree of customer loyalty, and they don't need to ship their goods.

we dont know that. the flim cider shut up granny smith mid 'quality over quantity' rant.

They handle dirty diapers with their mouths. I don't think sanitation is their highest priority.

(On the other hand, they take baths, so who knows.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The Apple family was angering the locals because they couldn't meet the demand. They claimed they were doing all they could, but I'm sure they were actually trying hardest when the competition was on. Regular days? Nah.

And the Flim Flam brothers had a machine that could effortlessly produce comparable product three times as fast as the Apple family's fastest. Full town satisfaction in one hour. (Wait, does this mean that the Apple family's commitment to cider was maybe about an hour a day?) The market could be not just satisfied, but grow to eight times the town's size, and the brothers would still only need to put in an eight hour day. The Apple family claimed to still have a quality edge, but that was probably before the competition when they were taking their time. And with the Apple family's help, the machine might even be refined to reach higher levels of quality. Applejack's exports could've dominated Canterlot, Manehattan, Cloudsdale... now what do you think will happen to Ponyville if the brothers ever get established?

The Flim Flam brothers were desperate so they did basically the same thing the Apple family did, and turned off quality control. And that's what did them in, because they could only turn their quality off, not dial it down. Their machine was never built with the ability to produce shoddy product.

If the Flim Flam brothers were bringing the Apple Family a way for them to meet demand and make much more cider effortlessly, freeing the Apple Family up for other money-making endeavors, that should be worth something to both of them.

Again, it's not about not serving the pony populace thoroughly, because they said that they still have another batch for the next day. They do not need to do more since they're comfortable with what they are doing. Essentially it's on the pony's side on whether they camp out earlier.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I dunno why, but Big Macintosh looks a lot less manly and a lot more cuddly from head-on.

Because you can't quite make out his head's shape. He looks like a big red teddy bear from head on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
On a downer note, there's rumors going around that Hasbro is attempting to stifle "Derpy". I have no clue how they started but apparently people are going crazy about it. Then again, it might be typical brony overreaction.

brian577

Banned
On a downer note, there's rumors going around that Hasbro is attempting to stifle "Derpy". I have no clue how they started but apparently people are going crazy about it. Then again, it might be typical brony overreaction.

Don't think so, our mascot is dead, sacrificed to the god of political correctness. The fandom might as well be dead to me. I will miss you Derpy, may you rest in peace.
The Last Round is now The Lost Episode

I said it before, Derpy in the spotlight was a bad idea. Too many overreactive parents to go crazy about it.

blamite

If they end up not making Derpy a speaking character anymore, I guess I'm fine with that. It was a great one-time shout-out to the fans, anything more would feel like overdoing it.

If Derpy stops popping up as an easter egg in the backgrounds, though, that's going too far. Her cameos in Sweet and Elite and May the Best Pet Win were perfect, for example. Even in last week's episode I thought she was a little too prominent.

Wow, just got home from work, the news of Derpy has really killed the wind in my sails. I had really thought we were over this. I really regret not getting any shirts on We Love Fine since they're apparently changing and ridding themselves of Derpy shirts.

I only hope that maybe, just maybe, as a "compromise" we'll either go back to quiet cameos or Derpy will be getting a bigger role in later episodes, but will be given the name of Ditzy Doo to avoid any possible backlash.

Still very disheartening.

Zomba13

Just got caught up on the last two episodes.
Lol so much at Apple Jack's letter in the cider episode.
I like to think the cider was alcoholic because when we talk about cider here (UK) we mean the alcoholic kind.
Also lol at Derpy speaking and actually being acknowledged. Didn't like the voice though, sounded too much 'I are much dumb D:'.

Cheerilee

After the Derpy episode aired, some bronies (only five of them, apparently) who claim to find her very existence offensive and refuse to use her name (insisting on calling her "Ditzy") got in a huff because Derpy didn't fit their headcanon and wrote letters to Amy Keating Rogers (the episode writer) complaining about Derpy, which upset her, and these losers cheered their victory on Ponychan. Thirty bronies from Ponychan apparently sent support letters to her in response and cheered her right up again.

The nutjobs claimed to have also written complaint letters to Hasbro, who allegedly sided with them (of course, companies say a lot of things when you complain, it doesn't always mean anything).

Someone wrote a support letter to DHX Media/Studio B, and they said they haven't heard any complaints, but they apparently stand behind Derpy 100%. As does at least one of the storyboard artists on Deviantart. I suspect anyone creatively involved with the show will support Derpy.

We Love Fine sells a bunch of Pony merchandise, and for some reason they've apparently changed Derpy's name to Ditzy, which suggests that the anti-Derpy nutjobs are going insane, screaming at anyone who will listen.

Apple took down the episode. The Hub didn't. Not sure if it means these guys got to Hasbro, or just Apple.

...looks like another fandom ruined. I am not trying to be over-dramatic, but this was one thing I have shared with my little sister, that is being taken away. I am saddened, greatly, but I do hope I can get something for my sister (a shirt or whatever) if Hasbro does decide to side-line the character in a more drastic way.

I am taking a few shots tonight...I am not in the mood to talk any further on this except to say..."I AM DISAPPOINT" (and had a bad day in general..this is just a straw on the tonnage of other things that happened today).

EDIT: Looking back at this, yes, I was being a bit dramatic..ehh, shouldn't have done so...I'll keep this as a reminder not to be..=p

After the Derpy episode aired, some bronies (only five of them, apparently) who claim to find her very existence offensive and refuse to use her name (insisting on calling her "Ditzy") got in a huff because Derpy didn't fit their headcanon and wrote letters to Amy Keating Rogers (the episode writer) complaining about Derpy, which upset her, and these losers cheered their victory on Ponychan. Thirty bronies from Ponychan apparently sent support letters to her in response and cheered her right up again.

The nutjobs claimed to have also written complaint letters to Hasbro, who allegedly sided with them (of course, companies say a lot of things when you complain, it doesn't always mean anything).

Someone wrote a support letter to DHX Media/Studio B, and they said they haven't heard any complaints, but they apparently stand behind Derpy 100%. As does at least one of the storyboard artists on Deviantart. I suspect anyone creatively involved with the show will support Derpy.

We Love Fine sells a bunch of Pony merchandise, and for some reason they've apparently changed Derpy's name to Ditzy, which suggests that the anti-Derpy nutjobs are going insane, screaming at anyone who will listen.

Apple took down the episode. The Hub didn't. Not sure if it means these guys got to Hasbro, or just Apple.

We Love Fine didn't change much if anything, I found at least 5 things with the name Derpy on the item.

Though this stuff is just hilarious since the word Derp was for all intent and purposes invented by the creators of South Park. The irony.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
WeLoveFine changed the names of the Derpy merch back to normal. So whatever it was it sounds like things are returning to normal. Shame on the sensitive idiots though.

Idea: Show Derpy in a positive light, show her having moments where she isn't an airhead.

Black-Box

my friend tells me its because parents, think Derpy means retard, they have NO clue at all that it is a internet thing.

soo sad

Cheerilee

my friend tells me its because parents, think Derpy means retard, they have NO clue at all that it is a internet thing.

soo sad

No parent who has ever seen Spongebob Squarepants (which would be all of them) would write a letter to Hasbro complaining that they were shocked to see a retard on TV who was exploiting their retardation as comedy.

It's a brony headcanon thing.

Idea: Show Derpy in a positive light, show her having moments where she isn't an airhead.
IMO, a better idea would be to leave her as a funny background event and not bring her to the forefront again. Not that I hated the scene or anything, but do it too much and if comes across as pandering.

LuffyZoro

Air date: March 3rd

Title:
Putting Your Hoof Down

Synopsis:
Iron Will helps Fluttershy become assertive.

Fluttershy episode? Fluttershy episode!

Top Bottom