• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling in 2012: Where have you been? Where are you going? *Post pictures*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find a thread regarding this topic but I thought it'd be a neat thread for us to post where we are planning on traveling this year, post photos of your experiences, and the main attractions that you saw.

Also, since we have many experienced world travelers here on GAF, I'm sure if you have any questions of where you should stay and see while traveling they'd be more than happy to oblige.

In June I'm planning on taking a road trip by myself through the Pacific Northwest, perhaps Yellowstone and some other National Parks and hopefully in September, taking a cruise with my wife and daughter to Alaska as we've never been. I've never taken a road trip by myself so I really am excited.

Where are you planning on going?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Carribean Cruise planned in late April with the wife. Probably our last vacation before we start popping out little Qubs.

mclaren777

• Headed to the Grand Canyon in early April
• Wanted to go to Pikes Peak in July, but can't
• Going to Austin in November for the F1 race

bjaelke

Going to Ukraine for the Euro 2012 tournament and to Canada to visit my gf. Might also go to Myanmar if I get accepted for a job position I applied for.

Kaladin

Miami, FL in March for Wrestlemania
Atlantic City, NJ in June for Orion Music and More
Cookeville, TN in August/September for Muddy Roots Music Festival

sarsAF

Neo Member
Going to Tokyo today on a spur of the moment trip so if anyone have any suggestions on where to go it would be awesome.

I've been to Seoul South Korea and Malibu California so far. Headed to Philadelphia PA and Venice Italy in the summer. 2012 is going to be a great year!

FreeMufasa

Going to Tokyo today on a spur of the moment trip so if anyone have any suggestions on where to go it would be awesome.

Me too! but not really a spur of the moment thing.

I'm going to Japan/Tokyo in March and then i'm going to Brazil in the summer. Like most years, i'll probably hit a few European places in between so France and Norway in between. Overall this'll be a travelling year for me as i'm not doing serious work and have a ton of money saved up. Can't wait ^^

Blablurn

nice time to open that thread. heading to shanghai next week.

here are some pics from shanghai, last june.

DfIhG.jpg

MkmSR.jpg

F6Y4y.jpg

EhhKk.jpg

IhzH3.jpg

5Y54K.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
March: New Orleans with a friend
June-ish: Cleveland, OH to visit friends
Late July: Portland, ME to visit family
Late August: Rome, Florence and Naples with my wife :D
Thanksgiving: Cincinnati to visit family

It's gonna be a fun year.

Vhalyar

Thanks to my new job I can actually travel this year! 10 days max at the previous one and I couldn't use them all up consecutively :(

So early March I'm off for 10 days to Peru, most of it deep in the jungle (Tambopata Research Center). Should be pretty damn fun. Except for the mosquitoes.

And some time later in the year a trip to India.

Better watch out for Dexter St. Jock man.

lol. I'll make sure she knows

March: New Orleans with a friend
June-ish: Cleveland, OH to visit friends
Late July: Portland, ME to visit family
Late August: Rome, Florence and Naples with my wife :D
Thanksgiving: Cincinnati to visit family

It's gonna be a fun year.

Nice man! Hopefully in June you'll have something to celebrate =P Also, is this your first time in Italy?

Blablurn

Wow, that's awesome! What are your plans while there if you don't mind me asking?

me and my girlfriend gonna check up the usual places in shanghai (city, rural areas outside the city), including some daily trips to towns like suzhou or hangzhou which are right around shanghai! gonna be awesome. fell in love with china during my year there. and i cant believe i'm gonna return so quickly (i'm just a poor student, so i'm really excited haha)

me and my girlfriend gonna check up the usual places in shanghai (city, rural areas outside the city), including some daily trips to towns like suzhou or hangzhou which are right around shanghai! gonna be awesome. fell in love with china during my year there. and i cant believe i'm gonna return so quickly (i'm just a poor student, so i'm really excited haha)

That's fantastic man. Mind me asking how much a month in Shanghai ran you last time?

Blablurn

That's fantastic man. Mind me asking how much a month in Shanghai ran you last time?

i only visited shanghai for about 5 days. since my semester in dalian (north china) was still going, i couldnt stay any longer. so, i have no idea how mich i spent during these days. but... for this month.. im thinking about 300-500€ excluding hotel which is already paid.

Lucis

nice time to open that thread. heading to shanghai next week.

here are some pics from shanghai, last june.

I'm also going to shanghai... 3 times this year... again
I have been going back to shanghai 2-3 times a year for the past 2 years,

Antagon

Possibly one weekend this month to Germany, skiing.
One weekend to the Alpe D'Huez in may, cheering on some friends that are going to climb it on bike 6 times in one day for charity.
Half a week to Moscow in may.
Around three weeks to Argentina in the fall (might change to another South American country)

Mr.Swag

Banned
Havn't gone anywhere yet.

Going to Wet n Wild Orlando in march.
Don't have any plans for the summer yet, but i would really like to go to cedar rapids, hopefully by car. I love roadtrips.
Also I plan on going up north this winter. Still havn't seen snow.

DTJAAAAM

Pretty much all of my traveling is comic/anime/video game convention-related. Arizona was my first trip of 2012 for a small comic con, and I'll be heading to Florida next weekend for MegaCon.

KingGondo

Banned
Nice man! Hopefully in June you'll have something to celebrate =P Also, is this your first time in Italy?
Yep, first time in Italy. My wife has been to Tuscany before, but my international travel experience is limited to the UK and Japan.

Should be an absolute blast. Rome is really a bucket-list type of trip, and we always promised ourselves we would travel as much as possible before we have kids (if we have the means).

It's still expensive, but it's one of those things that we'll remember for the rest of our lives.

EDIT: And yeah, I just caught your Thunder reference, ha. I will make sure to rub it in all those poor Cavs fans' faces if we win a chip.

I will personally hunt down Wizman23.

Lucis

and do u like it? special places u can recommend?

I was originally born in shanghai, lived there until I was 14, so it's like going home for me.
Shanghai now... is different from Shanghai then. As a major world metropolitan, there isn't much to see as tourist if you have already been there once,
the bund, lujiazui, yu garden, and the typical sites are ... just so so if you have been to there once.

I usually go back to eat some good food. there are a bunch of good hole in wall places to eat.
the one i'd especially recommand is jiajia tangbao (xiao long bao) near people's square, just google 佳家汤包, there are actually two locations

Smidget

May - 3 week trip to Edinburgh (day trip to Glasgow), London, and Paris
September - 1 1/2 week trip to Honolulu and Kauai

Maybe a small weekend trip to Savannah or Key Largo in March...

Using most of my miles/points/etc. I've been building up for a while!

BobDylan

I don't really get to travel too often but my brother does. He started a photo blog of his world travels. He is a professional photographer and is about to return from a two month trip from Asia and Europe. I think he just landed in Barcelona yesterday. Check out his site, its got some pretty amazing pics on it http://WWW.Hipabroadamus.com

I'm going to Ojai in California at the end of this month for 10 days. Flying from Amsterdam to LA, and then it's a 2 hour drive to Ojai. I went there last year for the first time, for a 3-day workshop/lecture.
The experience was quite magical. I was enchanted by the beautiful nature, met a lot of good people and connected with a soulmate. She happened to work at the bed & breakfast where I was staying and she was attending all 3 days of the same workshop/lecture. It was like meeting a very good friend or sister of mine, yet it was the first time I met her. She's also very attractive, but has a boyfriend (with the same name as me).
I'll be meeting her in LA this time and then go to Ojai later. We'll go see and do stuff on the days she's off from work (when hopefully her boyfriend is not). We'll be attending the workshop/lecture, held by the same people as last year.

- Went to Cedar Key and a few other places on the Gulf last month.
- Diving off Bonaire in May
- Renting a badass lake house on Lake Lanier in June
- Going back to Colorado Springs in July for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb
- I'd like to go on a cruise at some point this year as well. I also wanted to see real snow this year, but that may have to wait.

While I get over 5 weeks of vacation a year (already have a few months in the bank), my girlfriend gets only 2. So that may make this year's aspirations a bit tricky.

Wiggum2007

Just returned from 6 months living in Fiji, now off to some various internships around the western US and if all goes to plan late this year/early next year a two month wildlife conservation project in South Africa, woo!

Violet_0

Banned
I took a scuba diving course last year and haven't been diving since then. I really want to go reef diving this spring. I'm considering Egypt, since it's not that far away from where I live, relatively cheap and, according to my instructor, the Red Sea is really nice for diving.

Flex187ad

I've been travelling around Asia since October last year... I've been to China, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam so far... I started a collection of photos on PicYou... I work as a graphic designer back home but am without my laptop so these photo filter sites will have to do until I get back... Please take a look and would love to hear some feedback!

http://picyou.com/user/alexiandale

wAcJP1.jpg

VuvWhL.jpg

XJrlBg.jpg

HIthn8.jpg

A few from Vietnam and Cambodia.

bjaelke

I took a scuba diving course last year and haven't been diving since then. I really want to go reef diving this spring. I'm considering Egypt, since it's not that far away from where I live, relatively cheap and, according to my instructor, the Red Sea is really nice for diving.

I went to Egypt last November to scuba dive. It was a bit weird having the coral reefs just outside the hotel beach instead of having to go 1 hour by boat - like I had to in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom