• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Yeah the entire episode of Lupin III was gorgeous. Just that one final scene of Fujiko's face with the shadow filter thingy and how it just cuts off suddenly. It was the one scene where I was like uhhhh what happened there.

I4vxs.png

Other than that, I loved it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would agree, in this particular case.
But I think he was just confused by the fact that the unrelated Red Panda ISNT a bear.
although red pandas are cuter and therefore superior. They have greater rights to the panda name and thusly he may be correct in fact that "pandas" are not bears!
Well, to me, all this bear talk evokes a different subculture anyway. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah the entire episode of Lupin III was gorgeous. Just that one final scene of Fujiko's face with the shadow filter thingy and how it just cuts off suddenly. It was the one scene where I was like uhhhh what happened there.

I4vxs.png

Other than that, I loved it.

That particular filter was used in several places, but that was by far the worst/most noticeable usage.

The problem is that the awful characters and dialogue are still present in the battles.

This is true; I've been pointing out all the flaws, but overall, it's just boring, bland, and slightly annoying; perhaps an even worse combination than simply being "bad".

Do you really hate MB that much that you won't let even one post praising it go by? We get it, you aren't a fan. Doesn't mean no one else is.

cajunator

Banned
That particular filter was used in several places, but that was by far the worst/most noticeable usage.

At first I was protesting that this wasn't that bad, but after seeing that it isnt properly incorporated in that scene, yes it does look off. I thought it was some kind of split second thing, but nope it takes up several frames and just looks awful.

Narag

At first I was protesting that this wasn't that bad, but after seeing that it isnt properly incorporated in that scene, yes it does look off. I thought it was some kind of split second thing, but nope it takes up several frames and just looks awful.

Maybe that's the unfinished part of the episode duckroll prophesied.

Lain

Medaka Box is the best thing since sliced bread and NisiOisin is God's gift to mankind.

Btw, those shots of Lupin with that shadow filter, wtf, that shit looks so damn flat. I hope it's not as bad when it's actually in motion (still have to look at the first episode).

jman2050

Medaka Box 1

eh

Sengoku Collection 1

Moe japanese warlord haremshit battle royale RPG fetch quest wussy emo hair MC tits ass furry shrine spirits

BluWacky

Sankarea 1

Who is Mamoru Hatakeyama (the director of this show, who appears to have no other credits), and has he been feasting on Tatsuyuki Nagai's brain? Or at least siphoning off some JC Staff crew, perhaps.

The look of this show completely surprised me. To be honest, I had no expectations - I've only watched this episode because there's nothing else interesting airing tonight. What surprised me most was the use of colour - I don't know who does the colouring on most of Nagai's shows but it has very similar use of bright, bold colours and slightly indistinct lines on the characters that remind me of ToraDora (in the OP particularly) and AnoNatsu more recently. The way scenes are "lit" is very warm throughout, even in the more dramatic or emotional scenes. I found it an interesting watch as artistically it's much better than the usual Deen fare and there's some really nice storyboarding and directing - there's a really nicely judged scene early on when
the siblings bury their cat
and much more of the storytelling is accomplished visually than I expect from anime. It's no sakuga fest or anything, but I'd say it's pretty. And that's nice!

There is one big negative for me about this and that's the performance of Maaya Uchida, who voices Rea. She starts off shrieking and continues in a high-pitched, hysterical vein for a good few minutes. Thankfully when she's being more subdued she's much better, and the chemistry between Rea and the protagonist is nicely played.

Having not read the manga but knowing this was "a zombie romantic comedy" I think I was expecting something moe-moe-kyun-kyun (which is nicely lampooned in the next episode preview, actually!) but it really wasn't.

I might actually watch another episode of this!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Medaka Box 01:

I thought I was a Nisioisin true believer, but this was animu as fuck. Actively painful to watch.

Steroyd

I'm surprised you don't know the direction Medaka goes in as a manga thread regular, even if you don't follow it. It goes from generic Baka Test clone with awful Nisioshit dialogue to a trolling, meta battle shounen deconstruction with one of the best characters in fiction.

I tend to not pay attention, outright blank out anything I don't read or just plain forget incase I aim to read it sometime at a later date, that said sometimes a poster posts a keyword and I leap on it. :lol

Hansode Shiranui
http://i.imgur.com/T4anR.png[IMG]

She is the reason I want to even watch Medaka box. Looks like a really fun character.[/QUOTE]

She is fun, and is main driving force of me sticking with it.

[B]Sket Dance - 52[/B]

Sayaa the twin tailed, big breasted, airheaded, (non loli) tsundere whose voiced by Kanaii H[censored]azawa... hook dat shit to my veins plz.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sankarea 1

Who is Mamoru Hatakeyama (the director of this show, who appears to have no other credits), and has he been feasting on Tatsuyuki Nagai's brain? Or at least siphoning off some JC Staff crew, perhaps.

The look of this show completely surprised me. To be honest, I had no expectations - I've only watched this episode because there's nothing else interesting airing tonight. What surprised me most was the use of colour - I don't know who does the colouring on most of Nagai's shows but it has very similar use of bright, bold colours and slightly indistinct lines on the characters that remind me of ToraDora (in the OP particularly) and AnoNatsu more recently. The way scenes are "lit" is very warm throughout, even in the more dramatic or emotional scenes. I found it an interesting watch as artistically it's much better than the usual Deen fare and there's some really nice storyboarding and directing - there's a really nicely judged scene early on when
and much more of the storytelling is accomplished visually than I expect from anime. It's no sakuga fest or anything, but I'd say it's pretty. And that's nice!
Maybe related to this:
http://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/some-thoughts-on-tatsuyuki-nagai/
http://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/ikuhara-school-directors-utenas-legacy/

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 1

Worst OP in the history of mankind.

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

Only 8 minutes have passed?

kpDlE.gif

...then went back to deal with it.

You chose well MP, this premise is almost unbearable.

Almost. I survived Ep.1. Your roll!

(Also, as Dresden said, should have been a yuri.)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou S1 01-02

8jBkwl.jpg

So I wasn’t entirely sure what I was getting myself into here. I didn’t really know a whole about the actual show itself, other than the rabid devoted fanbase it’s got which creeps me out at times. But I decided to give one a whirl and I’m glad I did. It was thoroughly entertaining, a blast to watch and so adorably charming.

The first two episodes totally feels like Pilot, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I hope that is the case here and not actually reflective of the show itself. The entire focus is on Twilight Sparkle who is absolutely fantastic but everypony else feels completely rudimentary in nature, static sketches of characters with no real personality. Which is fine for an introduction but I’m hoping that characters especially like Pinkie Pie do get a fair bit more development other than being well, a one trick pony, as was the case in the first two episodes of the show.

Things I liked, the prologue and introduction to the world itself was well done. There is certainly a lot of room for exploration and depth at least into the world of Equestria itself, if not so much the characters. The name itself is absolutely awesome, the
reveal at the end of how Friendship is actually the sixth element Magic
was totally sweet.

The show is so vibrant, both in the sheer amount of color itself and the tone the show takes, I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun watching a show quite the way I enjoyed the start to MLP.

Anyway most importantly, after two episodes:

Twilight Sparkle > Rainbow Dash > Fluttershy > Rarity > Applejack > Pinkie Pie

God help me, I’m a goner ;_;

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Accel World 1-2

Man, that was something. I think this is the first show I've seen that honestly deals with the insecurities of kids who really are fat and useless. The attraction by other beautiful people is a bit odd, but it really is great with its transformative elements. I'm pretty confident this is gonna be good.

Dresden

Accel World 1-2

Man, that was something. I think this is the first show I've seen that honestly deals with the insecurities of kids who really are fat and useless. The attraction by other beautiful people is a bit odd, but it really is great with its transformative elements. I'm pretty confident this is gonna be good.

Y9mN5.jpg

get good in games -> chicks and lolis all over yo dick

Branduil

Accel World 1-2

You can't understand this show unless you were fat, had little sisters, and were in a band.

Sankarea 1

There is one big negative for me about this and that's the performance of Maaya Uchida, who voices Rea. She starts off shrieking and continues in a high-pitched, hysterical vein for a good few minutes. Thankfully when she's being more subdued she's much better, and the chemistry between Rea and the protagonist is nicely played.

Having not read the manga but knowing this was "a zombie romantic comedy" I think I was expecting something moe-moe-kyun-kyun (which is nicely lampooned in the next episode preview, actually!) but it really wasn't.

I might actually watch another episode of this!

I read these words and my brain thinks DEEN and refuses to comprehend them.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sailor Moon 01:

So we're introduced to Usagi, a twin-tailed clumsy girl who has poor grades, loves jewels, and is loud and obnoxious. Essentially the stuff of nightmares, dunno why that Umino kid want her besides maybe knocking her up or something. Probably wouldn't be worth it dude, she'd probably fuck it up and permanently damage your mating stick. Anyhoo she helps a stray black cat some kids were bullying and removes a bandage from its forehead, revealing a cresent moon symbol on it before it promptly jumps away while taking a meaningful look at Usagi (dun dun duuuuuun!)

Afterward we meet the villains, Queen Beryl and her servant Jadeite. They want to take energy from the humans to offer up to some higher god or something. I'd like to briefly mention that I love the background paintings, it's like halfway between and drawing and a painting and I rather like it. ^_^

So Usagi and her friend Naru go to a surprisingly packed jewelry store. I'll admit I don't have much experience inside one, but I've never seen one so packed, even with a sale going on, but whatever. Her mother seems a little too into selling the jewels, and it turns out she's using them to steal the energy from the patrons while Jadeite collects the energy! Eeeeeeeevil!

So Usagi leaves and throws her crumpled test on to the head of a stranger by accident, a rather handsome fellow in shades who calls her a odango head (her hair, undoubtedly), and she leaves while the man takes a longer gaze at the jewelery store. She passes by an arcade and sees a poster for a Sailor V game and imagines being a super heroine like her. As this goes on the black cat from before is shown following Usagi and knows her name too. Man Usagi's a fucking crybaby! Shut it, odango head!

I like the eyecatch music! :D

Yes, Usagi's mom. She's awful, good of you to kick her out. Better yet, please kill her with that spatula of yours. Even her little brother gives her shit for being a total waste.

Meanwhile, all the girls from the jewelry store are collapsing, and Naru sees her mother laughing in a creepy manner.

Hmm? Whatever is the matter dear? :p Anyway Usagi is let back into her house (Nooooo!) and instead of actually trying to learn anything or improve herself in any way decides to sleep it off. But then something enters her room from the window, the earlier black cat. And it talks! Her name is Luna and she's been looking for Usagi (and even thanks her for removing the bandaid). Luna does a little flip in the air and makes a broach appear and gives it to her, informing her that she's actually the chosen soldier who needs to defeat the enemies of darkness and find her fellow soldiers. After teaching her the enchantement, she transforms into Sailor Moon!

(I'll give you a moment to recover from this shocking revelation.)

After the initial shock, she begins to hear the cries for help from the power of her ALMIGHTY ODANGO HEAD! :p I'd also like to add I like the music. Cheesy, but cute. ^_^ So Naru's "mom" transforms into a monster and reveals she's a fake, where upon Sailor Moon makes her grand entrance. The monster raises the other customers who all attack Sailor Moon, and Luna tells her she has to fight back.

Annnnnd she's crying again STOP THAT! >>;

But then out of nowhere, a rose is thrown into the ground (holy shit that stalk is fucking strong!) and a man donning a snappy tuxedo and hat appears introducing himself as Tuxedo Mask (well... it's definitely a straightforward name...). Anyhoo he introduces himself like a boss and tells Usagi what I've been saying all this time that she needs to stop her fucking whining! But in a weird twist of fate her whining is so annoying it actually hurts the enemy! Luna teaches Usagi to use her tiara to defeat the monster and she does so. Jadeite is not pleased to lose the energy the monster had been gathering. Tuxedo Mask exists like a boss and Sailor Moon is immediately smitten.

Yep, I decided to jump on the bandwagon. A good first episode, but I hope Usagi's whining is at least toned down in later episodes.

Darkside, if you're going to post about shit that isn't anime you should at least have the common courtesy to translate the title poorly into japanese and use a lot of annoying weeaboo words in your summary of the episode.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 01:

Yep, I decided to jump on the bandwagon. A good first episode, but I hope Usagi's whining is at least toned down in later episodes.

Yay, another follower!

There appears to be a bit of confusion about this, so let me state for the record: I think Medaka Box is not a good show, and I will happily point out the flaws in it, but I still enjoy it.

BluWacky

I read these words and my brain thinks DEEN and refuses to comprehend them.

I know!

I've taken some screenshots, hopefully they convey something of what I mean. They're not the best shots in the show but I'm trying to avoid anything specifically spoilery and it's more about conveying the "atmosphere".

PCnpu.jpg

MTN1o.jpg

VT5fs.jpg

Japanese watchers seem to think it's very SHAFT-y. Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with their romantic comedy work but it didn't seem quite as "LOOK AT ME!!!! I'M DIRECTING!!!!!!!" as what I think of as SHAFT.

Watch the OP as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Saint Seiya Omega 01:

Finally got around to watching this. That was pretty standard shounen first episode. I'm thankful for the Umakoshi otherwise I'd probably have a hard time committing to 50 episodes of this based on my first impression.

Well, you're right, I just don't personally find it in any way compelling. The characters don't appear to have any motivation beyond the surface one of "stealing things is fun," nor are there are any interesting dramatic conflicts, either internal or between opposing characters. I just have difficulty maintaining interest in an adventure show about characters I don't care about doing things for no particular reason, regardless of how well it is animated.

Lupin is sort of like Robin Hood. He steals from the rich / evils of the world and gives to the... uh, himself? Sometimes the plots involve him stealing for the thrill of it, usually with him sending out a calling card to the police to announce his heists. Sometimes he steals for a reason, overthrowing evil organisations and saving the world. He's mostly harmless, a sucker for women and never kills without good reason.

Always one step ahead of the opposition, if he announces he will steal something he'll do it no matter what. This often draws attention from Inspector Zenigata, a working class man who has devoted his life to capturing Lupin. Lupin's countless crimes and heists have driven the poor guy quite insane, with events often ending in a "Tom and Jerry" style chase between the two. Zenigata is a funny character and probably the most interesting of the show. He works straight from the book and is often shown secretly caring for the man he wishes to put behind bars (saving his life and helping him fight against greater threats.) He often breaks down and deems himself as a failure for not capturing the crook, but despite this he is very determined and never gives up.

There's quite a lot of depictions of Lupin, but my favourite is this one. IMO the characters are great. The franchise has been going for forty years now and I still find the main five fun and interesting.

/XX/ said:
And I think like you, man. Like in the different dynamism between strangers we saw on Lupin and Fujiko this episode, we will probably see Zenigata's obsession unfold as the series progresses. As an introduction of the professional and normal side of the character that was good.

Agree'd. I have to say, I will be a little disappointed if I don't hear him shout "LUUUPIN!" and stamp his feet by the end of the series. I'm sure he will... I'm just glad he's not that goofy in a series like this. Zenigata can kick ass when he wants to.

Dresden

I know!

I've taken some screenshots, hopefully they convey something of what I mean:

PCnpu.jpg

MTN1o.jpg

VT5fs.jpg

Japanese watchers seem to think it's very SHAFT-y. Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with their romantic comedy work but it didn't seem quite as "LOOK AT ME!!!! I'M DIRECTING!!!!!!!" as what I think of as SHAFT.

Probably need to see it in motion, but those three caps already has better art than any shaft production of the last eight or so months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom