• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White 2 Super Music Complete details revealed!

First details of the June 25th album release were just revealed.

The album will include 173 tracks with unreleased music from the Pokemon Black & White, Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Platinum. All tracks will be digitally remastered with supervision from Game Freak's Sound Team. It will include a 24-page booklet documenting the development of Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 and will also include liner notes. (Summary courtesy of VGMdb).

For me: this is fantastic news. I've always wanted to listen to the music from Emerald and Platinum on-album, and being able to listen to demos and unreleased material from B/W is great too. The actual soundtrack will probably be led by Shota Kageyama, knowing my luck, but other Pokemon music leaders like Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato are bound to be important.

The album will include 173 tracks with unreleased music from the Pokemon Black & White, Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Platinum. All tracks will be digitally remastered with supervision from Game Freak's Sound Team. It will include a 24-page booklet documenting the development of Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 and will also include liner notes. (Summary courtesy of VGMdb).

HOLY SHIT MUST PREORDER.

I CAN FINALLY HAVE EMERALD'S BATTLE FRONTIER MUSIC YESSSSSSSSS

And 173 tracks on 4 discs? That is HUGE. After Black & White's splendid soundtrack, I was wondering how they'd top it, but this is looking quite promising.

The Lamp

I can't imagine why people would want to listen to this stuff outside the game since they're just beepety-boopy GBA/DS music. But development on Black & White 2? Have they ever done a development behind-the-scenes thing of a Pokemon game like that before?

They're not just bleepity-bloopity background music. Pokemon music's progressed a lot from the old days, when all that mattered was the quality of the melodies themselves. I also find the effort and creativity put into the most recent soundtrack to be incredible—truly incredible. All of the extras being put into the album are just as admirable.

Salsa

The actual soundtrack will probably be led by Shota Kageyama, knowing my luck, but other Pokemon music leaders like Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato are bound to be important.

This pleases me. Kageyama's contributions to HG/SS and B/W were pretty fantastic, usually the best from both games, IMO.

I am beyond hyped for the unreleased music, though. I've always hoped that they'd make a compilation of the third versions' new tracks, but this is beyond awesome.

The Lamp

They're not just bleepity-bloopity background music. Pokemon music's progressed a lot from the old days, when all that mattered was the quality of the melodies themselves. I also find the effort and creativity put into the most recent soundtrack to be incredible—truly incredible. All of the extras being put into the album are just as admirable.

I'd say this is the best it ever has gotten and I still don't think I would listen to it if I wasn't in the middle of a Pokemon battle, lol.

Neiteio

I'd say this is the best it ever has gotten and I still don't think I would listen to it if I wasn't in the middle of a Pokemon battle, lol.
Ooo, love that song. Reminds me, I still need to finish Pokemon Black. The 3DS coming out and making it all fuzzy on my screen and me being unwilling to boot up my (still fine, still awesome) DS Lite has delayed my play-through indefinitely. Well, that and I got addicted to Pokedex 3D.

Suit yourself, I guess. I'd listen to that beautiful Go Ichinose-arranged battle track anyday!

This pleases me. Kageyama's contributions to HG/SS and B/W were pretty fantastic, usually the best from both games, IMO.

I am beyond hyped for the unreleased music, though. I've always hoped that they'd make a compilation of the third versions' new tracks, but this is beyond awesome.
Whoa whoa there—I'm just speculating, my friend. We don't know anything about the actual allocation of sound team talent, anyway, and it could be Go Ichinose in the lead this time around. And believe me: Go was doing the best, most creative work from B/W and HG/SS. Everything else added on top of the new music is nifty for me, simply because it gives me knowledge about who did what from those soundtracks.

Too bad it doesn't have HG/SS. I'd still like to get this though.
HG/SS had an enormous album release a while ago, actually. Check it out!

Suit yourself, I guess. I'd listen to that beautiful Go Ichinose-arranged battle track anyday!

Whoa whoa there—I'm just speculating, my friend. We don't know anything about the actual allocation of sound team talent, anyway, and it could be Go Ichinose in the lead this time around. And believe me: Go was doing the best, most creative work from B/W and HG/SS. Everything else added on top of the new music is nifty for me, simply because it gives me knowledge about who did what from those soundtracks.

Fair enough, though I found myself enjoying Kageyama's contributions much more, though Ichinose's weren't bad by any means.

Edit: On second thought, compared to HG/SS's soundtrack release, 172 songs isn't all THAT huge. >.>

I don't think I want any GBA music. Or DS music for that matter. Give me some Pokemon music that sounds like the Brawl OST and I'll buy it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I guess this works out as a Limited Edition set for the game. The soundtrack will probably retail for 39.99, and go on special for 24.99 - 27.99 a few months later.
I got the super completes of both FRGL, and SSHG that way.

I shall import the shit out of this, just as I've done with every other Pokemon soundtrack release. July 25 is too unbearable a wait, though. :<

Another thing to be excited about are the liner notes. Ever since the R/S Super Complete, Game Freak has always provided great commentary from the musicians themselves, which is always a treat to read (even though only the section from the HG/SS Super Complete has been translated into English).

WhyMe6

I'd have to say Hitomi Sato is my favourite of the Pokémon composers in terms of song quality. In particular, the Poketransfer songs (capture, lab, waiting theme) Mystery Gift theme (especially that awesome B&W remix), B&W Bicycle theme, Frontier Brain battle, Battle Stage, Route 204 (DPP), Pokemon Centre (Night - DPP) & Route 228 (DPP). She's not exactly consistent, but when she produces a great song damn it is good.

More years have passed since RBY/GS though, so Ichinose gives me much stronger feelings of nostalgia. We'll see in ten years who wins out though ;)

Money money money....MONEY! I wish I had a lot of money, I imported the D/P soundtrack a few years ago. Oh well...:/
Worst comes to worst: there's always YT. Plenty of fans will likely be importing this, and more than a few should be uploading the music soon after. So it's okay in the end.

Hitomi Sato is excellent. But I don't think her style is as pliable and befitting as Ichinose's, mainly because she has trouble coming up with brilliant melodies, unlike Ichinose. Some of his best work has been in B/W, but I do like her D/P route themes due to the contrast they bring to an album dominated by Go (though they split the soundtrack between each other, and Junichi did the last of his self-arranged battle tracks too&#8212;they're pretty mediocre for the most part, IMO).

Shota seems to me like the most industrious member of the sound team right now, though. Go's got a penchant for being lazy (which I've gathered from the two commentaries involving him), Hitomi juggles job recruiting and game design with her music stuff, and Junichi and the others are preoccupied too. Their sound team is largely ad-hoc, and the only de-facto leader right now is Ichinose (mainly because he's specialized in music and sound, like Kageyama).

g.r.e.

Man, can't wait to have my hands on this game. Hope this collection will be released sometime in the west, but it's pretty much unlikely, isn't it. :(
Money money money....MONEY! I wish I had a lot of money, I imported the D/P soundtrack a few years ago. Oh well...:/
Import taxes are what is currently stopping me from importing goodness from Japan.
80&#8364; are not OK for a couple of figures...:(

I hope there are more arranged tracks included, similar to the four at the end of B/W's soundtrack. I'd love to hear more in-game tracks arranged with live instruments.

I hope there are more arranged tracks included, similar to the four at the end of B/W's soundtrack. I'd love to hear more in-game tracks arranged with live instruments.
I loved those. The arrangements have been getting better and better by the album, and this album should hopefully follow that pattern.

A new pattern that should be followed, though, is selling these albums overseas, not just in Japan. The Pokemon Company should know by now that kids will eat up stuff like Pokemon albums!

A new pattern that should be followed, though, is selling these albums overseas, not just in Japan. The Pokemon Company should know by now that kids will eat up stuff like Pokemon albums!

Very much agreed. I'll buy them regardless, but it sure would help to not have to pay import fees when I do so. xD

I definitely heard some generic-as-hell orchestral themes from Kageyama in the game's first trailer, but the style this game is going for seems to work better for Ichinose, who's known for his brash style of music-making in the Pokemon franchise. There's also going to be less Team Plasma stuff, knowing anything, so that means less from Kageyama? IDK, but it's fun to think things through.

Sagitario

Black & White, Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Platinum got albums released? :O

The last official OST I saw were Ruby & Sapphire and FireRed & LeafGreen.

The Emerald and Platinum soundtracks haven't been released yet, but they'll be on this album to take up space (probably because there won't be much new stuff for B2/W2 alone).

Oh my.... This might just be the very best thing ever.

I keep going on and on about how much I love Game Freak's music, so there's no way I won't be listening to this.

Edit: Does "unreleased" mean "in the game, but unreleased on previous CDs" or "not released in the game?" I'm hoping its the latter.

Gravijah

i want to hear the unreleased stuff. that's most important to me.

hissssssssss

no live instruments in my pokemon

I can't imagine why people would want to listen to this stuff outside the game since they're just beepety-boopy GBA/DS music.

what kind of logic is this

Gravijah

My least-favorite would be Junichi Masuda's ending theme from the original game, and that's only because all the other ones are better even if the original is great on its own.[/url]

but it's so gooood~ but the best ending theme of course is the one from RSE.

another thing i found disappointing about BW, musicwise, is the champion theme. BW has some of the very best battle themes in the series, but the champion theme is just... boring.

I never understood the Champion battle theme from B/W. It is, indeed, less inspired than its brethren, and Ichinose arranged the piece as well (though, to be fair, he's getting the melodies and general concept from Masuda most of the time).

Yes: the RSE ending is wondrous, only matched by the ending anthem from FR/LG and the bluesy stuff concluding D/P. And you know what? All done by Ichinose. He has a real hard-on for romantic themes and arrangement.

another thing i found disappointing about BW, musicwise, is the champion theme. BW has some of the very best battle themes in the series, but the champion theme is just... boring.

It's sort of understandable. In every previous game, battling the champion's the conclusion of the story, and the climax of the game, meaning that they need to be impressive and climactic. The battles against N and Ghetsis served that function in Black and White, meaning that the Alder battle was less prominent.

Certainly, the N and Ghetsis battle themes are amongst my favourites.

Teknoman

For me: this is fantastic news. I've always wanted to listen to the music from Emerald and Platinum on-album, and being able to listen to demos and unreleased material from B/W is great too. The actual soundtrack will probably be led by Shota Kageyama, knowing my luck, but other Pokemon music leaders like Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato are bound to be important.

Damn...really want this. I wonder how much you'd have to pay to import?

I only like the music from the original Red and Blue.
cant be topped

Not even Pokemon Black/White 1's gym battle?

Man...I dunno, B/W has some great stuff. If 2 manages to top the first gym battle theme...i'm probably going to just leave my DS on for awhile.

Top Bottom