• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to get a 3DS?

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
If it wasn't so close to E3, I'd say you should definitely order one right this second.

I don't actually think we will get a revision at E3 but it's so close that you may as well wait just in case.

Cheska

With so many quality titles already available, and quite a few releasing this summer, I'd say it's an excellent time to get a 3DS. However, with E3 right around the corner it would make sense to wait until after some announcements. I really don't see a revision or price drop coming, but maybe some retailers will have a sale on them or something.

The M.O.B

The scratching issue has not been fixed. I know of a Zelda, Flame Red, and even a purple 3DS that still has the issue. It's pretty hilarious that Nintendo gets such a pass on what's obviously a hardware defect.

I have a red 3DS and have not had this problem at all.

Count me in with the wait for E3 crowd. No guarantees that Nintendo will announce anything on the hardware front, but might as well hedge your bets since it's only a week away.

boyshine

This years E3 has no place for a 3DS revision (and it doesn't need one), it's all about showing off that killer line-up they've been securing for Q3+4 to boost US sales of the platform, in addition to new OS features and expanding the eShop.

Dineren

Banned
Have there been any cases where the screen scratching has actually caused lasting damage? It is always there when I open my 3ds, but it just wipes away.

Tuck

The time to get a 3DS was back when 3D Land came out.

Then even more so when Kart 7 came out.

Then even more so when Kid Icarus came out,

But if you still aren't sure, wait a week and see what Nintendo shows at E3. For sure we see more Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, NSMB3, Luigi's Mansion. All look good. And I'm certain they will show off at least one or two more.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Have there been any cases where the screen scratching has actually caused lasting damage? It is always there when I open my 3ds, but it just wipes away.

Generally it starts out that way, smudges that are easily wiped off, but then they start to become permanent marks. So my advice to you is to get some thicker rubber sticky-thingamabobs to increase the distance between the screens to avoid the problem alltogether.

Also, clearly the time to get a 3DS is when Castlevania and or Majora's Mask 3D comes out. I'll eat a can of ravioli if it doesn't!

Dineren

Banned
Generally it starts out that way, smudges that are easily wiped off, but then they start to become permanent marks. So my advice to you is to get some thicker rubber sticky-thingamabobs to increase the distance between the screens to avoid the problem alltogether.

Also, clearly the time to get a 3DS is when Castlevania and or Majora's Mask 3D comes out. I'll eat a can of ravioli if it doesn't!

That sucks, I figured it would eventually be an issue, but not for a couple years at least.

My Cosmo black launch model had wipe-off smudges now and then from day one, but it never scratched... Well over a year of ownership and its still fine. It's fair to say that its luck of the draw really... I know one thing, I'd be on the phone to Nintendo for a replacement if I was affected otherwise, theres no reason to put up with it if you do get scratches.

The chances of any new hardware being announced at E3 is extremely slim, but I'd still wait until after E3 just in case.

I don't have a 3DS, since I just wouldn't have the time for it, but the software lineup is already impressive and with the strong group of titles on the way, as well as the inevitable first party announcements at E3, it's not a bad choice to jump on board in the near future. Certainly don't expect a price drop any time soon either, so don't wait for that.

rpmurphy

A revision is practically inevitable, but I would guess it wouldn't be this year, with the launch of the Wii U and all. A more robust OS, a permanent fix to the screen issue, a thinner design -- these I hope will be the major points of a revised 3DS.

Cramoss

I've been planning to get one for a long time now. I'll wait and see what Nintendo offers for the 3DS system at the conference.

Top Bottom