• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2012 NPD Predictions - Closes June 11 (Monday after E3)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It means that interest is slowing. When even Max Payne 3 severely undersells, there's a problem afoot.

Petrae, please, tell me you're joking...

EDIT: Far worse than L.A. Noire, uh?

NPD May 2011

01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive - 899K

Kifimbo

He also said Diablo III is absent. It doesn't make sense, the game sold 6.3 millions of copies in the first week. Even if the majority were digital, 500k to 1 million copies is still enough to be in the top 3 in May.

Petrae

Petrae, please, tell me you're joking...

When the release comes out, it'll look far better than the underlying data. I doubt Take-Two discloses it, given that its share price fell below $10 earlier today before rebounding. With this kind of underperformance, pressure is squarely on GTA V in order for the Rockstar label to have any chance of meeting its bullish sales expectations for this fiscal year.

Petrae

He also said Diablo III is absent. It doesn't make sense, the game sold 6.3 millions of copies in the first week. Even if the majority were digital, 500k to 1 million copies is still enough to be in the top 3 in May.

I am assuming that Anita Frazier will address Diablo III in her accompanying remarks with the public release.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Peter, does your report not list PC titles?

NPD Analyst said:
“Diablo III is the top selling title for May, the first time since July 2010 that a PC-only game accomplished this feat. Since the game launched day and date through digital distribution as well, full sales of the title are some multiple of what is reflected in the retail sales. Starcraft II was the title that topped the best-seller list in July 2010, a testament to the power of the Blizzard brand in PC gaming.”

Seda

Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson

May #NPD numbers are in: Xbox 360 sold 160k units in May, representing a 45 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S.

damn

with so many games already existing for this generation of hardware, soft-sales for software is not surprising.

Why pay $60 when great titles that are available that look and play relatively the same and cost faaaaar less.

New hardware needs to come...

Fjordson

Overshadowed by Diablo 3 and just a general slowdown in the industry.
Yeah, I guess it's not too shocking.

Plus, R* fans love their massive open world games (Red Dead, GTA) but everything else (LA Noire, Max Payne 3, Bully) has been less of a hit.

Hoping MP 3 can at least hit a few million by 2013.

Mpl90

Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson

May #NPD numbers are in: Xbox 360 sold 160k units in May, representing a 45 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S.

damn

...Ok, that's outrageous O_O

Edit: This time, they didn't exalt the fact of being for the n month the best console. Probably, the number is too low to exalt this achievement XD

Seda

npdmay2012chart.jpg

Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson

damn

Time to bust out the Wii and PS3 can't clear the 100k hurdle gif. Where is mamarobotnik?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Can we estimate CoD3 numbers based on last month? So we can find out how much the games below have sold at most?

jvm

Gamasutra.
If the last two months are any indication, and 160K is 45% of total current-gen units, then PS3 = 100K and Wii = 90K. Roughly.

I DO NOT HAVE DATA.

Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson

damn

Yikes, I would've been closer if I had kept my conversion from 4 weeks to 3.8 weeks

With the drought of new console tech and sales, it's hard to believe folks wont bite on the Wii U, just for the fact that it's something new.

Or maybe tablets/phones are taking over and we're doomed.

I shudder at the prospect.

Edit: 160k and those are the GOOD numbers. Wow.

May 2011 360=270k.

Mpl90

A flash does not make a trend. The 3DS numbers won't hold like you think after NSMB2. Not in NA.

NSMB is what really made the DS start selling very well in US. It's something which will sell for a long time, I'm expecting, after August, something like 100k more per month compared to last years numbers, when, after the price cut, there was just the Mario hype to sustain 3DS before Holidays.

jvm

Gamasutra.
For later.
MS PR said:
Coming off an amazing and busy show at E3 last week, we are keeping this month’s NPD email brief. Xbox 360 sold more units in May in the U.S. than any other console or handheld game device, maintaining its position as the best-selling console in the U.S. for the past 17 months.

May 2012 U.S. NPD highlights:
· Xbox 360 sold 160,000 units in May, representing a 45 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. This marks the 15th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has held more than a 40 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, May 2012)

· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in May (hardware, software and accessories) reached $209 million, the most for any console in the U.S. and more than the spend on the other two current-generation consoles combined. (Source: NPD Group, May 2012)

· During the month of May, Xbox 360 held six of the top 10 U.S. console game titles including: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier,” “Max Payne 3,” Prototype 2,” “Sniper Elite V2,” “NBA 2K12” and “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.” Xbox 360 also garnered more software sales than the other two current-generation consoles combined. (Source: NPD Group, May 2012)

Last week at E3, Xbox detailed its mission to make the entertainment people love even more amazing. In addition to announcing its greatest lineup of games in history, Xbox introduced the next wave of leading entertainment partners coming to the platform and an entirely new experience with Xbox SmartGlass, enabling consumers to experience their favorite entertainment across the devices they love.

Top Bottom