• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS shows off HD-DVD

DCharlie

Banned
but without a HDMI output on the 360.....why would you even wanna watch HDDVDs on the 360 in the first place???? "HD-ERA" am cry????

there is very little difference between watching HD content over HDMI and regular component... well, according to sony anyways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
koam said:
Because this is inconvenient to the max. You have to have the 360 running and hooked up to it and possibly have to go through the dashboard to play the movie. Also, does the 360 have an HDMI port? I didn't think it did so you're screwed when movie studios add encryption to their movies.

Who the hell uses a console to play movies anyway?

if its as smooth as the HDDVD guys on Major Nelson's podcast were saying, it shouldn't be any more difficult than playing a DVD. Press the eject button on the HDDVD drive, everything powers up, stick the disc in, close the tray - done.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
monkeymagic said:
How well will Xenos be able to decode 1080p VC-1 video which by all accounts is no small feat?

Any benchmarks out there?

ATI is putting a decoder in the HD-DVD attachment

Mmmkay

Agent Icebeezy said:
ATI is putting a decoder in the HD-DVD attachment
ATI is putting a software decoder in the HD-DVD attachment. The software based playback utilitses ATI's AVIVO codec which features Xenos based hardware acceleration.

monkeymagic said:
How well will Xenos be able to decode 1080p VC-1 video which by all accounts is no small feat?

Any benchmarks out there?

Just a single core of Xenon should do more than fine of replacing the 2.4GHz P4 in Toshiba boxes. The hardware decoder will be harder to replace with software solution, but 2 remaining cores of Xenon and the highly programmable nature of the unified architecture on the Xenos should mean no real problems for the task.

Raistlin

Why the hell did they design it so it's all fubar'd (slot-loaded from the top!?!?) when stood vertical??

:lol

Did they even look at the logistics of the 360 design - or simply look at it's color and shape?

Seriously, that is stupid.

Onix said:
Why the hell did they design it so it's all fubar'd (slot-loaded from the top!?!?) when stood vertical??

Did they even look at the logistics of the 360 design - or simply look at it's color and shape?

I'm not sure I see what you're on about. Can you elaborate?

Onix said:

Um..what the hell are you talking about?
It's not a slot loading device.... not in ANY way.

KTallguy said:
This reminds me of when you had to buy an extra remote to watch DVDs on the original Xbox. Except this is bigger and more expensive.

The PS2 launch units in Japan couldn't play DVD's out of the box either... what's your point?

Raistlin

BCD2 said:
I'm not sure I see what you're on about. Can you elaborate?

Okay … look at the pic below.

xbox231_550x413.jpg

Unless I’m hallucinating the part with the silver horizontal stripe is the ‘front’ of the unit (that is the actual tray).

Now look at the sides – one is concave, while the other is convex – so you can’t set it on either of those sides.

So doesn’t that mean if you want to stand it vertically (along side your 360), you’d end up with the drive tray on the top? Basically, ejecting the drive would end up with the tray actually moving straight up?

Basically, it appears like it's designed to only be horizontal?

Outcast2004 said:
Um..what the hell are you talking about?
It's not a slot loading device.... not in ANY way.

Sorry, I meant tray - which in this case is far worse.

Onix said:

Unless I’m hallucinating the part with the silver horizontal stripe is the ‘front’ of the unit (that is the actual tray).

Now look at the sides – one is concave, while the other is convex – so you can’t set it on either of those sides.

So doesn’t that mean if you want to stand it vertically (along side your 360), you’d end up with the drive tray on the top? Basically, ejecting the drive would end up with the tray actually moving straight up?

Sorry, I meant tray.
I'm just going to show you a picture, and I'll let you figure out the problem with standing it on it's end.
hddvd2.jpg

Flat or concave side down are your two choices of arrangement.

Raistlin

So the I/O is on the bottom?

WTF are they thinking?

Earlier pics implied it could be vertical, next to your 360. Why the hell did they go horizonal-only?

Or do you actually stand it on the concave side? That's just wacky. So it looks like a 360 tipped over?

Weird.

Raistlin

lol - I just editted before you posted.

I didn't realize it was designed for the concave edge - I wonder if it is stable?

I really don't care (as long as it can be vertical) ... I just think it's weird that it then looks like a tipped-over 360. I understand they wanted to keep it small, so that's why it's deeper than it's tall, but the design just seems odd to me.

It looks like a mini-360, but tipped over. For some reason, it just kind of reminds me of when a 3rd party peripheral comes out that kind of matches the system it's intended for - but doesn't really.

Oh well, no biggie - I just think it looks hoaky.

TheWolf

Banned
Onix said:

xbox231_550x413.jpg

Sorry, I meant tray - which in this case is far worse.

wtf, it's that ****ing huge? :lol

Raistlin

bill0527 said:
Another one that's never seen the Toshiba HD-DVD or Sammy stand-alone players.

This thing is at least half the size of those monstrosoties.

That's cause this thing is missing the rest of the PC that's in the Toshiba players :lol

Unless they include a liquid cooling system to quiet down the 360, I wouldn't consider paying $200. I don't mind a noisy system during gameplay but fan and drive noise is unacceptable during movie watching.

Raistlin

The Samsung BluRay player, while big, is significantly smaller than the Toshiba HD-DVD units.

One of the A/V mags showed a picture of them in the same rack - the Toshiba is a freaking monster! :lol

Raistlin

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Unless they include a liquid cooling system to quiet down the 360, I wouldn't consider paying $200. I don't mind a noisy system during gameplay but fan and drive noise is unacceptable during movie watching.

That's a good question. I would hope the drive noise is modest - but who knows, this could simply be a PC HD-DVD drive. Still, it shouldn't be anywhere near as loud as the 360 DVD drive, as it spins much slower.

Not much can be done about the 360 fans though ... unless you don't mind some system surgery.

bill0527

Onix said:
The Samsung BluRay player, while big, is significantly smaller than the Toshiba HD-DVD units.

One of the A/V mags showed a picture of them in the same rack - the Toshiba is a freaking monster! :lol

Uhhhh.... have you actually went into Best Buy or Circuit City to look at these players side-by-side? The blu-ray player is not anywhere near "significantly" smaller than the HD-DVD player. Both are huge and the only thing that really stands out as the difference in size is the depth is bigger on the HD-DVD and its not by much, maybe an inch or so.

Here are the dimensions taken from BestBuy.com

Sammy Blu-Ray:

Product Height 3-1/10"
Product Width 16-9/10"
Product Depth 12-4/5"

Toshiba HD-DVD:

Product Height 4"
Product Width 17"
Product Depth 14"

shidoshi said:
Except they left out a few things. HDMI 1.3 is supposed to bring better picture and color quality, but the big one is HDCP. For now, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is allowed to send the full HD signal over both HDMI and component until 2010 or so. (It's 2010 for Blu-Ray, not sure exactly about HD-DVD.) However, if all companies will stick to that is unknown, and what happens in four years when 2010 rolls around is unknown.

What this means is, if you aren't using HDMI, at any time it can be decided that full resolution HD is no longer allowed over component, and thus you'll be watching all of your lovely HD-DVD movies at a forced lower resolution because HDMI isn't available.

By 2010 if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD our successfull the players will be dirt cheap. So simply get a new dedicated stand alone player then.

I still think MS will sell this cheap at a loss, because they dont expect it to sell well. It's only reason for existance is to take away a PS3 selling point.

Mrbob

KeithFranklin said:
By 2010 if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD our successfull the players will be dirt cheap. So simply get a new dedicated stand alone player then.

I still think MS will sell this cheap at a loss, because they dont expect it to sell well. It's only reason for existance is to take away a PS3 selling point.

This is why I say it'll be $149.99 or less. MS should try to get the HD DVD drive down to $99.99 as soon as possible.

It's a bare drive. HD DVD drives cost < $100 to manufacture, so an external drive should not be retailing for $199.99. $149.99 or less ftw, preferably $99.99.

quetz67

Banned
Mrbob said:
This is why I say it'll be $149.99 or less. MS should try to get the HD DVD drive down to $99.99 as soon as possible.

It's a bare drive. HD DVD drives cost < $100 to manufacture
were did you get that (wrong) info from?

Mmmkay

This didn't really need a new thread. The current revision of the HD-DVD addon does indeed look like it may require an external PSU:

hd360newbt4.jpg

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/5201

Jane mentions that they were told the product isn't totally final yet "the proportions are all there, but the finish is slightly different", but I have a hard time seeing it magically becoming internal now.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mmmkay said:
This didn't really need a new thread. The current revision of the HD-DVD addon does indeed look like it may require an external PSU:

I'm scared to see Agent Icebreezy's setup after MS releases all their addons :lol

BlueTsunami

m0dus said:
Good god. I hope the people condemning this thing because it looks 'bulky' realize they sound as retarded as the people disparaging the PS3 because it's something like 11 lbs.

Its not about the bulk but what seems to be the Lego type setup with various addons and configurations.

BlueTsunami

m0dus said:
Right. Because that will completely ruin the experience of watching a movie on your video-game console?

When did I say movies and video-games will be hindered by it? I'm talking purely on the aspect of someone having all the addons and how you might need an entertainment center for all the wires and plugs for the damn thing.

Mmmkay said:

hd360newbt4.jpg

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/5201

Jane mentions that they were told the product isn't totally final yet "the proportions are all there, but the finish is slightly different", but I have a hard time seeing it magically becoming internal now.

Since the add on can't use the USB cable for power, I find the whole PSU debate for it rather moot. I mean, it's gonna have a power cable one way or another, who cares if there's a little brick at the end of it? It's not gonna be like a X360 sized power brick for cryin' out loud...

Mmmkay

Shogmaster said:
Since the add on can't use the USB cable for power, I find the whole PSU debate for it rather moot. I mean, it's gonna have a power cable one way or another, who cares if there's a little brick at the end of it? It's not gonna be like a X360 sized power brick for cryin' out loud...
Well it has caused enough of a ruckus in every HD-DVD addon thread we've had, so I thought people might just be a little bit interested. I agree it's not the end of the world, but it is another bit of bulk which you do have to cater for. Just a question of convenience that's all.

Mmmkay said:

I'm not so sure. I would be more inclined to guess it has a detachable power cable with internal supply, for no other reason than the enclosure is so big.

Mmmkay

BCD2 said:
I'm not so sure. I would be more inclined to guess it has a detachable power cable with internal supply, for no other reason than the enclosure is so big.
Note the symbol above the power connector. It means the connection is DC.

Mmmkay said:
Well it has caused enough of a ruckus in every HD-DVD addon thread we've had, so I thought people might just be a little bit interested. I agree it's not the end of the world, but it is another bit of bulk which you do have to cater for. Just a question of convenience that's all.

We're probably talking about something like these:

27-131-017-14.JPG

27-154-036-04.JPG

27-131-345-05.JPG

I don't see how they are such big convinience problems.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Tomorrow we will have pricing according to the video. Cool.

If HD-DVD wins, I will buy this.

I personally don't care about the power supply. All I care about is that HD video playback is an option.

Top Bottom