• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garjon

Are you implying that Baines is somehow more susceptible to being caught in behind than most fullbacks? Or that Terry and Lescott are incapable of doing a job that only the mighty Jagielka is?
No, but Jagielka has played with him before and he knows when he's likely to be caught out. Although I do think Jagielka is one of the most underrated players in the league, but that's just me.

Arnie

No, but Jagielka has played with him before and he knows when he's likely to be caught out. Although I do think Jagielka is one of the most underrated players in the league, but that's just me.

I literally just stuck him in my fantasy team to replace Ryan Taylor.

Of course club partnerships are going to be beneficial in the short term, but I don't think Baines has a particular deficiency that means he's almost doomed to failure if Jagielka isn't playing alongside him. Nor do I feel that, no matter how underrated, Jagielka somehow possesses any great ability in his positional play that Terry or Lescott do not.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Excuse me 16 of the worlds top 20 sides play in Europe.
That's not what I'm talking about at all. The problem with European qualification is that the format makes for incredibly boring groups where you have top teams mingling with minnows under a really short period of time, and when accidents do happen the teams benefited by them end up qualifying more through sheer luck than actual footballing quality (see: Ireland).

It's no wonder why most everyone complaining about the international break is European: you guys don't know what it's like to suffer through qualification.

Clegg

Just gotten home from work so I've just seen the Ireland score. This is a fucking disgrace.

Ireland used to produce players like, Brady, Mc Grath, Keane but now we have this dross.

And we actually have an exciting talent in Mc Carthy but he's still on the fucking bench.

That's not what I'm talking about at all. The problem with European qualification is that the format makes for incredibly boring groups where you have top teams mingling with minnows under a really short period of time, and when accidents do happen the teams benefited by them end up qualifying more through sheer luck than actual footballing quality (see: Ireland).
Hehe I was just messing.

It's a lame way to go about it but since there are so many teams I dunno how else they could do it really.

Garjon

I literally just stuck him in my fantasy team to replace Ryan Taylor.

Of course club partnerships are going to be beneficial in the short term, but I don't think Baines has a particular deficiency that means he's almost doomed to failure if Jagielka isn't playing alongside him. Nor do I feel that, no matter how underrated, Jagielka somehow possesses any great ability in his positional play that Terry or Lescott do not.

Well I consider Jagielka to be far less error prone than either of the two. With a CB, sometimes reliability is far better than flair, particularly with the way Hodgson sets up his team.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hehe I was just messing.

It's a lame way to go about it but since there are so many teams I dunno how else they could do it really.
The ideal way would be to have different phases like in the rest of the world, with the weak teams eliminating themselves in order to progress through the ranks and then having the strong countries get a bye during the final rounds. The problem then is that you also want to have the same process of qualification for the Euros, so there are not enough dates in a FIFA cycle to include all the matches.

Clegg

Hopefully young Irish kids will aspire to be great rugby or GAA players.

Soccer in Ireland is on the road to fucking nowhere.

Meier

Can't believe Ireland is gonna lose to Kazakhstan of all places. Bosnia has 4 goals at HT and none from Dzeko! I wonder if he's assisted on any of them? ESPN always has terrible live stat keeping on the non-marquee matches.

Edit: OH SHIT! Just scored!

Clegg

We're playing a fucking long ball game without a fucking target man.

And we needed an 87th minute penalty to draw level with fucking Kazakhstan.

2-1 to us now. We're still so full of wank though.

Clegg

Mc Clean needs to start the next game.

Fucking stick him in CM if you have to.

He's a winger but he'd still be better than Whelan.

CrunchyB

Holland - Turkey starts in 15 minutes.

Half the people in the stadium are Turkish.

Our defense is weak and Louis van Gaal is insane.

Should be entertaining, at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom