• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV Publish Wainwright Hitman Absolution 'Recommendations'

[If you want background information on the events surrounding games journalism and then Wainwright/Square Enix in particular refer to this thread and this post roundup]

Cm1XLC.jpg
Despite no explanation of writer Wainwrights relationship with Square Enix, MCV have continued to employ Wainwright as a writer. Not only that but shes been given the opportunity to discuss Hitman: Absolution for them - a Square Enix game. Now this article may have been written before the controversy, but it was published after [November 2nd edition].

Pages 39/40/41

The 'preview' in the recommendations section that follows doesn't quite meet what you might expect...

Wainwright opens up with a quick blurb on behalf of the publisher, it'd look great in a press release/the back of a box:
THE ULTIMATE Assassin is back Hitman: Absolution sees a betrayed Agent 47 on the run from the Police and in the centre of a dark conspiracy against the very people he used to work for.

Sales pitch:
Its a triumphant return for a much-loved series with impressive visuals and cinematic story, but it still features the same type of gameplay that made the series so popular.

Weird shoe in of features, again very very 'press release' like:
Players can disguise themselves in costumes to blend in with their surroundings as they dispose of their targets with an assortment of deadly weapons.

Goes on to have quotes from a publisher (*cough**cough) discussing their big ads and everything for the game.
Finishing with this:

After a six year gap, Hitman is sure to please hardcore fans and new comers alike when it releases on 360, PS3 and PC this November.

Has Wainwright played the finished game? She seems to indicate it, certainly her comments are either from someone whose played it or is playing an aggressive sales pitch. Her PSN/Live/Steam accounts don't indicate shes played a copy of the game, but maybe she has. However this was mean she and MCV are openly breaking the review embargo unless they have a deal for an early review.

However you don't agree a deal on an early review if you have to 'pretend' its not a review. Pure and simple this is nothing but a sales pitch, likely copied from a Press Release sent to MCV or to Wainwright herself.

You also have to question the logic of publishing this article after recent events. Wainwright shows no hints of a hands on the game.
It could have easily been written by another writer. Instead Michael French the editor of MCV decided to publish Wainwrights article.

Thats most of the article on a 2 page spread, the rest is a mix of images...and oh...four adverts:

• NOVEL IDEA - Hitman: Damnation looks to bridge the gap between 2006's Hitman: Blood Money and Absolution. It's written by Raymond Benson, who has penned novels for both Metal Gear Solid and James Bond.
  • FASHION FIX - Smartly dressed Agent 47 even has his own clothing line with Trapstar. A premium blazer, cufflinks and T-shirts can be bought official from the Hitman store online.
  • DELUXE PROFESSIONAL - The professional edition of the game contains a hardcover art book, making of DVD and Agency Gun-Pack DLC.
  • SNIPER CHALLENGE - Pre-order customers are treated to a free game called Sniper Challenge. The game sees players take part in a mission to take out a target and rack up points. Turn to the 86 for details on MCV's top industry assassins.

The last of these four individual adverts is for a joint project between MCV and Square Enix:

UK retailers and trade execs, publishers, developers and media will compete for prizes in a bid to find out who is the ultimate assassin in Hitman: Sniper Challenge.

MCV has teamed up with Square Enix for a series of mini-leagues centred around Hitman: Sniper Challenge, the addictive downloadable experience available to those who pre-order November's Hitman: Absolution.

From now until the game's launch MCV and Square Enix will run monthly challenges for sectors of the UK industry, including retail, publishing, development, and the media, with a top Agent named in each category - plus a final 'best of the best'.

We will be publishing weekly updates in MCV and on MCVuk.com as to the progress of each would-be Hitman.

Prizes include some sweet gadgets, Hitman goodies, not to mention the secret star prize - plus of course, buckets of glory, as winners get to prove to friends and colleagues just how good they are at video games.

Cross-promotions are nothing new, but it is still interesting to note that Square Enix/MCV have a direct business relationship and that a marketing deal between the two exists. MCV ofc looking to market themselves to the industry, SE just wanting to market Hitman: Absolution.

This is where things get murky for the two companies. Wainwright threatened to sue Eurogamer for libel after they pointed out she had actively participated in promoting products on twitter. Not only that Robert Florence specifically questioned her 'love' of another Square Enix game, Tomb Raider. All mention of this was removed due to her threats. It is also known her employers MCV directly approached Eurogamer to ask for the removal of the references to her employee. Robert Florence has since left Eurogamer and will no longer write his column for them.

Turns out...Wainwright was once employed by Square Enix, she then deleted this reference but by then detective-gaf had set to work; not only that, she posted on her blog about her friend Katrina and how she helped her get into PR events. Korina now works for Square Enix. Wainwright then claimed on twitter that she had never reviewed a Square Enix game. A lie, she had reviewed a number - and even posted a front page story on the new Tomb Raider game for IGN.

It now appears that Wainwright's relationship with Square Enix is not just through her friend but also through her employer. Bringing MCV even further under question as to their independence and integrity for their continued hiring of Wainwright as well as their relationship directly with Square Enix.

Michael French allowed for an article that is nothing more than a PR sales pitch, with no signs of critique or an actual play through to be published in his magazine by a writer who has worked for Square Enix, threatened libel to remove references to her promoting Square Enix, lied about her involvement with Square Enix and handed in this 'piece' which he might as well have asked Enix themselves to send in.

EDITED to ad:
As much fun as the Square Enix connection would be, most of the articles and bits up to page 46 are Wainright-penned previews of things that are sure to be great/must-haves. Wii U titles, Dragonball Z for Kinect, some third-party Sonic-themed 3DS accessories, Sonic All-Stars Racing... All of it reads more or less like advertisements.

It all pretty much reads like her job is to talk up anything and everything she covers, so my guess is she's waxing rhapsodic about Hitman for so long because that's what they wanted on the cover. While Wainright seems to be a living example of press-as-PR in the indusry, I don't think her Square Enix ties are the reason for the Hitman stuff. I doubt MCV gives a damn if she's worked for any of the companies she writes about, since they seem to just want her to tell everyone how cool every single gaming product coming out is.

This pretty much confirms what that Verge post said. At the very least he had some inside info, which makes the rest of what he said seem credible.

It's worth keeping in mind MCV isn't a regular gaming mag and can't be bought from a store or whatever; it goes out to retailers and things. Its job is solely to hype - they run similar features to this on everything, even things like Farming Simulator. That doesn't change the really poor timing/irony of this particular piece, though.

So basically, it's a giant advert posing as a preview?

Kind of disgusting.

Then again a) it's a magazine intended solely for game shop managers, so advertorials shouldn't be too much of a surprise and b) when has a preview ever been critical?

If they ever respond they'll likely say some horseshit about being a trade publication, thus being exempt from disguising marketing as a neutral opinion apparently

DTKT

Then again a) it's a magazine intended solely for game shop managers, so advertorials shouldn't be too much of a surprise and b) when has a preview ever been critical?

Well, you assume that someone has played the game for a preview. This doesn't seem to be the case here.

But if they don't really do reviews, I guess it's less of an issue. It's still disgusting that you have a totally unrelated magazine doing PR for a company, but I guess that's all it does.

s_mirage

If they ever respond they'll likely say some horseshit about being a trade publication, thus being exempt from disguising marketing as a neutral opinion apparently

To be fair, they'd have a point. At the end of the day what other purpose is there for a magazine aimed at game store staff other than to help sell product?

It's worth keeping in mind MCV isn't a regular gaming mag and can't be bought from a store or whatever; it goes out to retailers and things. Its job is solely to hype - they run similar features to this on everything, even things like Farming Simulator. That doesn't change the really poor timing/irony of this particular piece, though.

Yep. MCV is a trade magazine, it's unfair to jump on this with the same standards as a consumer orientated publication.

Poor timing though :p

sixghost

Yep. MCV is a trade magazine, it's unfair to jump on this with the same standards as a consumer orientated publication.

Poor timing though :p

Why not just get this kind of information straight from the publishers if there is little to no expectation of impartiality?

inky

Yeah, but the issue is that their full time employees (who label themselves as game journalists) are still producing content about SE, a company they are clearly in bed with, for other publications that are intended for the general consumer. After that, they threatened legal action and made someone step down from his job for exposing this very conflict of interest.

I guess, bottom line is, Wainwright and her associates have lost all credibility about everything they write about ever again. We should try and be wary of other people doing the same thing in the publications we do get.

To be fair, they'd have a point. At the end of the day what other purpose is there for a magazine aimed at game store staff other than to help sell product?

So, I'm not a manager of a GAME or HMV or whatever.

BUT, if I was, I'd want a trade magazine to lay down the basic facts. Likelihood of this game doing well, reputation of franchise/series/etc (commercial reputation mostly, maybe critical reputation too), general outlook on whether or not the game will be good.

If the trade mag is regurgitating press release bulletpoint nonsense, I'd feel misled. I'd want to know what games are worth getting behind- imagine my surprise when Hitman bombs (hypothetical, bear with me) and I bought a shitload of copies because MCV said it was so fucking fab!

The only difference between a trade rag and a consumer publication is who's buying.

disclaimer: I've never looked at a trade mag and may have the wrong end of the stick here, but I believe that's their intended purpose

Yeah, but the issue is that their full time employees (who label themselves as game journalists) are still producing content about SE, a company they are clearly in bed with, for other publications that are intended for the general consumer. After that, they threatened legal action and made someone step down from his job for exposing this very conflict of interest.

Yeah I know, it's incredibly gross and I've been following this all from day one. I guess that would mean they can't pull the "trade rag" excuse, which is neat.

Why not just get this kind of information straight from the publishers if there is little to no expectation of impartiality?

It gives publisher quotes in the second half discussing the big ads etc. behind the game, but Wainwrights writing clearly implies shes played the finished game, offering a review of sorts.

MCV put her on an Enix game knowing her connections (theres a question of integrity if shes mis-selling the game to retailers too you know) and the recent controversy. They also added in adverts for their own marketing promotion between them and Square Enix; which is aimed to boost industry readers through giveaway prizes. Including ofc other writers.

Personally I am waiting for Wainwright to be quoted on a Square Enix game box.

It seems like the next step really.

Has she had any other stories on the MVC site since all the stuff went down? Maybe this story was sent to print before / during the shitstorm happened and they couldn't pull it.

I'm assuming this is the same kind of magazine you'd pick up at the movie theatres? The kind filled with press releases dressed up as articles? I'd doubt anyone really takes them seriously, they're just PR fluff. Certainly nothing any journalist would write.

iammeiam

As much fun as the Square Enix connection would be, most of the articles and bits up to page 46 are Wainright-penned previews of things that are sure to be great/must-haves. Wii U titles, Dragonball Z for Kinect, some third-party Sonic-themed 3DS accessories, Sonic All-Stars Racing... All of it reads more or less like advertisements.

It all pretty much reads like her job is to talk up anything and everything she covers, so my guess is she's waxing rhapsodic about Hitman for so long because that's what they wanted on the cover. While Wainright seems to be a living example of press-as-PR in the indusry, I don't think her Square Enix ties are the reason for the Hitman stuff. I doubt MCV gives a damn if she's worked for any of the companies she writes about, since they seem to just want her to tell everyone how cool every single gaming product coming out is.

Added this to the OP; didn't realise she'd written all the articles.
Even though its for the industry, I don't see the point in paying someone to pretend to have played a game and not actually just be writing/publishing Press Releases.

cameron

So, the paragraph about Wainwright in the original Eurogamer article, where Florence merely used her as an example to show how the public tweets by a writer can cast doubt to the reader and appear as a conflict of interest, turned out to be something on the nose.

I wonder why MCV called the reference to Wainwright in Florence's article as "cruel content"? As if they're oblivious to what their mag does.

iammeiam

Added this to the OP; didn't realise she'd written all the articles.
Even though its for the industry, I don't see the point in paying someone to pretend to have played a game and not actually just be writing/publishing Press Releases.

Sorry I should be clearer, pages 31-46 is mostly or all her (I can't really tell who did the FarCry bit), and that's where the games coverage seems to be. Not all articles (so not the 30 under 30 or whatever), just all the game recommendations, etc.

Sorry I should be clearer, pages 31-46 is mostly or all her (I can't really tell who did the FarCry bit), and that's where the games coverage seems to be. Not all articles (so not the 30 under 30 or whatever), just all the game recommendations, etc.

Oh yeah - I didn't think she'd done the entire magazine :D just that section :)

Someone who used to work at a publisher writes article about that publisher's game - internet assumes she's been paid off.

Seems to be the entire argument.

No one suggested shes been paid off; and theres more to it than 'I used to work for xyz'
Was suggested that MCV had an unhealthy relationship with Square Enix however.

May16

Maybe if you'd post sweet deals on Square Enix games she'd come home, Wario.

Especially the best ones like assassination adventure Hitman Absolution®, in which players take the role of the original "badassassin." Or perhaps Tomb Raider®, continuing the legacy of gaming icon Lara Croft in new-gen thriller sure to please fans of the old-time classic as well as any newcomers to this prestigious series. Already in stores and making waves is Sleeping Dogs® -- a sure game-of-the-year contender for 2012, and likely to enter the discussion of game-of-the-decade as well!

BlackJace

Someone who used to work at a publisher writes article about that publisher's game - internet assumes she's been paid off.

Seems to be the entire argument.

The argument isn't that GAF dislikes her. We know she's a shitty person, yes.

It's the fact that MCV is willing to publish something written by a person who is an open shill. Even after all this controversy.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
MCV is terrible.

Pandering to retail arse licker bum wipe rag.

I liked some of the folk who worked it on and off. No knowledge of the new team, but I know their actions show fuck all spine or honor.

Retail will be dead soon anyway.

Bye bye.

Dead Man Typing pretty much nails it.

Choc

Banned
You will never see MCV write a bad thing about a game publisher or game really. Its an industry only mag that people pay a lot of money to sub to and is for insiders. Its not a widely commercial product like gameinformer for example.

"The weekly print edition of the magazine is read by 14,000 retailers and trade professionals every week, either via mailed copy, browser edition or on iPad."

"Total circulation via mail and digital is 14,000 - including over 6,000 buyers, branch and store readers. Information and community create a dynamic bond with the market. Exclusive content includes ChartTrack sales data."

its 120 pounds a year to sub

MCV's job is to tell retailers what they should be pushing on their customers. I used to read it all the time when I worked retail and their articles were never insightful or informative, they are a list of bullet points designed for people who don't know anything about games to be able to repeat when asked.

Not defending any of the above, but I think some context is important to understand what MCV is and who pays for it. It's basically an extention of the Point of Sale posters and other promotional materials that retailers receive. They don't review or pretend to review games.

It is 100% promotional guff.

Oh, yeah, on second thought, I kinda misjudged MCV's purpose. This seems fine. The part where MVC writers are doing double-duty as consumer review writers is still fucked, of course.

AkuMifune

Banned
They don't review or pretend to review games.

But they do. Which is why so many legitimate sites and people were under attack all week from us, because MCV couldn't help themselves by acting like $2 whores and dragging down the rest of the industry with them.

Or at least their writers pretend to be journalists which is worse.

JDSN

Banned
Like people have said, MCV is basically a printed ad, but what is annoying is that fact that she continues to have a job despite a clear conflict of interests and labelling herself as a games journalist and other stuff in the giant thread that was most likely ignored by Carl.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, it's clearly an advertorial piece. Is it claiming to be anything more? She clearly hasn't played the game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh boy, Wainwright is quite clearly a bad egg indeed. She's blurred the line more than anyone else to date, and while it sucks to be her and have the internet on her case, this is pretty much the go to example of Journalism "DONT DO THIS".

Oh boy, Wainwright is quite clearly a bad egg indeed. She's blurred the line more than anyone else to date, and while it sucks to be her and have the internet on her case, this is pretty much the go to example of Journalism "DONT DO THIS".

Future generations may learn from her, as a case study in "What not to do" when you are part of the Games Media. Don't collect "swag", don't write reviews for products when you also work for those products manufacturers, and don't try to exploit the legal system with false allegations of libel to bully those who draw attention to your despicably unethical activities.

Luckily it's looking increasingly unlikely that following the continued exposure of her corrupt activitiea, she has no future in this industry and for that we should all be appreciative.

nofi

MCV's job is to tell retailers what they should be pushing on their customers. I used to read it all the time when I worked retail and their articles were never insightful or informative, they are a list of bullet points designed for people who don't know anything about games to be able to repeat when asked.

Not defending any of the above, but I think some context is important to understand what MCV is and who pays for it. It's basically an extention of the Point of Sale posters and other promotional materials that retailers receive. They don't review or pretend to review games.

It is 100% promotional guff.

I think this is largely the point.

Wainwright aside, this is MCV week in, week out. Some of the OpEd stuff is fine, but these 'recommended' bits towards the end just hype up whatever's out that week.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how it reads to me each issue.

Top Bottom