• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reset atmosphere tech video - Jaws will drop, again

-SD-

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ygZCDoCVec

Blog post with info + screenshots: http://reset-game.net/?p=284

Pics really don't do justice. Gotta see the vid. Last part at 3:50 is especially impressive.

Reset is being made by just two guys. Here's the first teaser trailer, if you've not seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLd8kEQJIzw

threshold_highroum0.jpg

Eccocid

Are those animated clouds real time? When sun is rising the colors look great on the clouds (in that time lapse part), bu it looks like an animated texture.

Volumetric and image based rendering is a huge step up for video games. These guys are actually ahead of the tech curve if you could believe it.

Not many engines (if any) do most effects volumetrically like this.

Oersted

Nice, but wrong art direction. Next Gen games and therefore current high end PCs can´t show off realistic enviroments.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Impressive, but I've seen better (aka Sleeping Dogs). That still-water kills everything.

Really? I don't remember the lighting and light dispersion through the clouds and atmosphere being like that at all.

Also this is a demo, so it's assuming that not all of the graphical systems are in place.

eso76

Impressive, but I've seen better (aka Sleeping Dogs). That still-water kills everything.

yeah...uh..no
not even close.
Those billboards on wet road reflections really mesmerized a lot of people...4 YEARS AGO IN PGR4 :p These days, there's nothing especially impressive.

The lighting on those spheres though is pretty as balls (oh oh oh)
and the debut trailer..lighting looks like nothing else i've seen in real time graphics

Durante

Even the basic atmosphere tech is great, but the volumetric god rays part is incredible.

If comments on youtube are to be believed, this is being made by... two guys.
Yes, but always remember that high-end hardware can only be used by huge AAA teams with budgets in the hundreds of millions.

ozfunghi

Even the basic atmosphere tech is great, but the volumetric god rays part is incredible.

Yes, but always remember that high-end hardware can only be used by huge AAA teams with budgets in the hundreds of millions.

Well, to be fair, this looks more impressive than the UE4 demo, which is being made by self-proclaimed tech guru's that are sitting on a pile of money. Guys like this are clearly an exception.

What hardware are they targeting? I assume this is not (yet) for consoles, but have they said anything about what GPU(s) would be needed to pull this off?

EDIT

We’re working with standard i5 rigs with current-gen graphics cards. The game is being built on DX10 tech, so DX11 is not required – at least, not at this stage. Can’t really specualate on the final requirements, but our goal is to find a suitable set that doesn’t compromize the visual fidelity.

WiiU will be fine, lol

Dat lighting. Looking at the object lighting at the end, where the shadows dynamically go from hard to soft shadows based on the amount of light is really awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, to be fair, this looks more impressive than the UE4 demo, which is being made by self-proclaimed tech guru's that are sitting on a pile of money. Guys like this are clearly an exception.

What hardware are they targeting? I assume this is not (yet) for consoles, but have they said anything about what GPU(s) would be needed to pull this off?

EDIT

WiiU will be fine, lol

Oh wow, impressive if true.

Probably just really good art and assets management. The environments also won't be that big if I had to guess.

I didn't see anything here that couldn't be done pretty much exactly in UE4. This just looked like some good art/assets with with the light/shadow values tweaked in the right way. I think the days of having engines that are noticeably better at certain graphical effects are over.

Somnid

All I see is some shader effects? Are they particularly high performance or something? Those scenes are a cinch for ray-tracing too. Nothing called out why that video is special, if you dedicate resources to certain effects you can make them look as good as you want.

You want impressive check out Rogue Squadron 3 which was doing light scattering on a Gamecube.

These are probably in a $100 million debt.
AAA development and more graphical power next.

serious making this looked really good shame about youtube compression.

Edit: Just discovered the blog link :)
Wow done reading its a simple solution from what i gather shouldn't be that hard for next gen consoles.

thefil

I didn't see anything here that couldn't be done pretty much exactly in UE4. This just looked like some good art/assets with with the light/shadow values tweaked in the right way. I think the days of having engines that are noticeably better at certain graphical effects are over.

That's not really true. You can't just turn on or off a light source in an engine and have it behave correctly. Someone has to write code/shaders to simulate the light scattering effect. I have no idea whether UE4 does this, but certainly different implementations will perform differently and show different levels of believability, and certainly there are many real world effects which are not simulated in any engine right now.

I mean, just the fact that SIGGRAPH is as huge as it is should tip you off to the fact that we have a long way to go in recreating the physical world on the programmable pipeline.

Also, as cool as their tech is, I worry that they haven't shown gameplay. In my experience, it's way easier to get a visual effect or proof of concept of an engine feature up and running than it is to build gameplay and content. I think the ambition of these guys is fantastic, but (not unlike the recently-Kickstarted Sui Generis), they are going to be crunching FOREVER.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Durante said:

You think? Really?

Its a single point lightsource (the "sun") so they can throw a lot of computation at it. Rayleigh scattering was also being done in Serious Engine 2, over 10 years ago.

EDIT:

Main thing: its all convex surfaces. Show me god rays streaming through the struts of a bridge, use a torus not a sphere for your env-maps + raycast tech.

That's not really true. You can't just turn on or off a light source in an engine and have it behave correctly. Someone has to write code/shaders to simulate the light scattering effect. I have no idea whether UE4 does this, but certainly different implementations will perform differently and show different levels of believability, and certainly there are many real world effects which are not simulated in any engine right now.

I mean, just the fact that SIGGRAPH is as huge as it is should tip you off to the fact that we have a long way to go in recreating the physical world on the programmable pipeline.

Also, as cool as their tech is, I worry that they haven't shown gameplay. In my experience, it's way easier to get a visual effect or proof of concept of an engine feature up and running than it is to build gameplay and content. I think the ambition of these guys is fantastic, but (not unlike the recently-Kickstarted Sui Generis), they are going to be crunching FOREVER.

You're right on the fact that making tech demo's is easier then delivering a working product.
You can isolate different systems easily. In a working product all those systems need to work together and complicity raise really fast if the systems are bad designed.

Pepboy

You think? Really?

Its a single point lightsource (the "sun") so they can throw a lot of computation at it. Rayleigh scattering was also being done in Serious Engine 2, over 10 years ago.

EDIT:

Main thing: its all convex surfaces. Show me god rays streaming through the struts of a bridge, use a torus not a sphere for your env-maps + raycast tech.

Exactly. I also wasnt impressed with the static repeating water texture, though I know they were focusing on lighting.

Top Bottom