• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was about to write this
I still don't know if I can get over how old they are making Mance Rayder and Beric Dondarrion.

I just started watching Rome, and it is amazing, and Ciaran Hinds makes an excellent Caeser, but he seems too old for Mance Rayder.

But I didn't realize Mance was described as having mostly grey hair (though that doesn't exactly say the person is old) and that he is in his middle years (Whatever this means in The Game of Thrones Medieval era)

I figured he was Benjen Stark's age, around 30.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah Blonde.

Cool, that sounds good then.

As for Beric being old, I think its a terrible decision because he was already in Season 1 as some young guy like he's supposed to be. Granted, it was just brief and most non-book readers likely wont notice, but its still a pretty glaring, "Uh....ok?" decision.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Greatjon isn't going to be back?! Booooooo-urns.

I don't mind the switch with Beric seeing as how (series)
he's clearly changed mentally and physically when we catch up to him as the leader of the Brotherhood

It can't be as bad as Gregore Clegane. He went from a mountain to a tall guy in armor that's too big for him.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Beric's whole deal in the books was how he was this care free naive young Lord who now looks like he is years older because of the
exertion on his body by the amount of wounds that were "healed".

Greatjon isn't going to be back?! Booooooo-urns.

I don't mind the switch with Beric seeing as how (series)
he's clearly changed mentally and physically when we catch up to him as the leader of the Brotherhood

It can't be as bad as Gregore Clegane. He went from a mountain to a tall guy in armor that's too big for him.

Yeah, this is the worst. S1 Gregor was perfect. He left to go be in the Hobbit, correct? Let's bring him back.

iNvid02

possible season 3 spoilers, storm of swords

so i was listening to the rains of castamere from the season 2 soundtrack (excellent btw), and i ended up viewing it on youtube.

the top comment was "just got past the
red wedding
, tears, tears everywhere".
i couldnt recall anything about that from the show in season 2 so i googled it.

my eyes scanned the following from the search results:
"storm of swords climax, there will be blood, came about because robb....., grrm amazed readers, shockingly sad"

i have a rough idea what it could be, but... but i cant be. it better not be, fuck this show

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

so i was listening to the rains of castamere from the season 2 soundtrack (excellent btw), and i ended up viewing it on youtube.

red wedding

"storm of swords climax, there will be blood, came about because robb....., grrm amazed readers, shockingly sad"

i have a rough idea what it could be, but... but i cant be. it better not be, fuck this show

I won't say anything regarding that, but you should never ever google anything A Song of Ice and Fire related if you haven't read the books. ;0

red wedding

Stop reading comments on youtube

You should pretty much just destroy all your internets until you're done with ASoS. Getting that book spoiled for you is something I would not wish upon my most despised enemies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, I am still of the opinion that viewing the series before reading the books is doing a disservice to yourself.

I bet you if you start now you'll finish book 3 by the time S3 airs, go for it!

Riggs

Banned
You should pretty much just destroy all your internets until you're done with ASoS. Getting that book spoiled for you is something I would not wish upon my most despised enemies.

Ya I am very careful , barely read anything in here just in case. Thanks man, putting C4 on my modem now, cannot take any chances.

I started reading the books in september after rewatching the TV series and finding the wait rubbish for the next season too long.

I just finished ADWD last night :D

I remember reading someones post in this thread somewhere, but I cant be bothered to find it because it was ages ago. Basically I thought it was a pretty big spoiler that must have happened in ADWD but it never did so I am kinda confused about where it came from. It could be from what we know about the next book so only look if you don't mind getting potentially spoiled.

I read somewhere that there was gonna be a 5 year jump so that we see older characters etc.

kirblar

I remember reading someones post in this thread somewhere, but I cant be bothered to find it because it was ages ago. Basically I thought it was a pretty big spoiler that must have happened in ADWD but it never did so I am kinda confused about where it came from. It could be from what we know about the next book so only look if you don't mind getting potentially spoiled.

I read somewhere that there was gonna be a 5 year jump so that we see older characters etc.
That was the original plan post-Book 3. Martin hoped to skip over a lot of things, but abandoned the plan after it was clear it wouldn't work.

Platy

That was the original plan post-Book 3. Martin hoped to skip over a lot of things, but abandoned the plan after it was clear it wouldn't work.

Even it was a 1 week jump in that universe you would have only half of the characters when you go back =P

Massa

Get hype.

"I'm am so excited for season three! It has definitely been my favourite so far, I really hope you guys enjoy it:) x" - Maisie Williams on Twitter

She doesn't do anything remotely cool in the majority of book 3. Season 4 will be awesome though.

ASOS
Yeah, she basically just gives us a view of different characters and is mostly passive. She doesn't take an active role until the end of the book. And that scene is potentially compromised by their handling of her storyline in season 2. This could maybe be fixed though, but I wouldn't expect her to do much until season 4. Maybe they'll surprise us though.

MNC

red wedding

let me help you with that
http://www.tannr.com/herp-derp-youtube-comments/

Can someone post a comparison of the two gregor cleganes? I don't really recall any of this sort...

let me help you with that
http://www.tannr.com/herp-derp-youtube-comments/

Can someone post a comparison of the two gregor cleganes? I don't really recall any of this sort...

Just a quick comparison:
Original Gregor:
Gregor_Clegane.png

New Gregor:
NbSEx.jpg

Part of the problem with the new guy was how they just gave him generic Lannister armor and they didn't use his unique looking armor from Season 1. The original Gregor looks like somebody you'd not want to mess with, while the new guy just looks like a tall, lanky guy in armor. Even if they used the same shoulder pauldrons of the original armor that would have helped. And the new Gregor's beard looked really fake... I don't know if it was or not, but it looked like it was taped on or something.

I've talked about Gregor plenty of times with my friends and yeah, he needs the awesome Black Knight armor back. Conan Stevens should return to play him, but he's doing The Hobbit...

[ASOS]
Maybe he's back for the duel in Season 4, I don't recall Gregor doing much of anything in the book other than that. But damn if it's not an awesome scene. With some luck we'll get Season 1 Gregor back. That's definitely how I pictured him when reading it.

I've talked about Gregor plenty of times with my friends and yeah, he needs the awesome Black Knight armor back. Conan Stevens should return to play him, but he's doing The Hobbit...

[ASOS]
Maybe he's back for the duel in Season 4, I don't recall Gregor doing much of anything in the book other than that. But damn if it's not an awesome scene. With some luck we'll get Season 1 Gregor back. That's definitely how I pictured him when reading it.

Yeah, that's pretty much all he does in the book.

Conan Stevens played Gregor as a madman teetering on the edge of control, capable and looking forward to extreme violence at any time, he was terrifying. Ian Whyte's version is sadly just appearing to be a very large solider.

I doubt there will be enough room, but I really hope they do. They stripped her story too much in season 2, that something has to be done.

Major series spoilers
Given how fully the Brotherhood without Banners has been cast, I assume that they will have a significant arc this season, which means that not only with Cat probably be the last scene of this season, but Ayra will probably spend a significant amount of time with the Brotherhood this season. Hopefully some warging stuff, getting captured by the Brotherhood, building those characters, Hot Pie and Gendry going their separate ways, Ayra captured by the Hound, and then going to the Twins. Ayra's season is pretty damn full. Now it should be a great arc, but season 4 is where they will have some room to maneuver/explore with Ayra considering it probably makes sense to still have her season 4 arc end with her leaving Westeros.

iamblades

Major series spoilers
Given how fully the Brotherhood without Banners has been cast, I assume that they will have a significant arc this season, which means that not only with Cat probably be the last scene of this season, but Ayra will probably spend a significant amount of time with the Brotherhood this season. Hopefully some warging stuff, getting captured by the Brotherhood, building those characters, Hot Pie and Gendry going their separate ways, Ayra captured by the Hound, and then going to the Twins. Ayra's season is pretty damn full. Now it should be a great arc, but season 4 is where they will have some room to maneuver/explore with Ayra considering it probably makes sense to still have her season 4 arc end with her leaving Westeros.

Yeah I imagine they have to show Cat at the end of this season, if they do it in the same order as the books without the subtextual hints from Arya's wolf dreams it would be a real WTF moment when she pops up in S4. I guess they could close this season with Arya's wolf dream about finding the body and make a hint about the brotherhood and leave it hanging till next season, but that will be a super dark way to end the season, especially without the purple wedding in this season. We need to see some small amount of revenge after the RW.

Majmun

Original Gregor was way superior. The new one has no charisma at all. Orignal Gregor looked intimidating as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom