• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just want a new Brothers in Arms.

And no Furious 4 shit either. The serious stuff.

Why do you treat me like this Gearbox?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't really trust Gearbox to do anything anymore and I actually thought they made progress in the series with Hell's Highway.
BiA: HH is what ruined current gen 3rd person shooters for me. I keep trying to give everyone orders in other games but they never listen. Unless the order is, "Stand around like a useless asshat and block my shots."

Sober

HH ruined BIA 1/2 for me because the shooting actually felt good so I didn't feel totally gimped anymore.
I thought the shooting was gimped so you had to suppress and flank. The improved shooting was nice though, but that just really made it a TPS where you could do those things. Also lone wolf segments were meh IMO.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought the Indie Gala bundle, but didn't receive any e-mail with a link to the bundle page with my keys. I got the PayPay e-mail, so the payment went through. Is it normal for it to take some time? I'm starting to worry :/
Anyone? I shoot an e-mail to customer support 10 minutes after my last post, and they haven't answered yet. And I haven't got my keys either.

Am I screwed? Can I somehow make a chargeback on PayPal? What should I do?

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't really trust Gearbox to do anything anymore and I actually thought they made progress in the series with Hell's Highway.
Really? I thought the other way, the series went downhill with HH's louder narrative, better shooting mechanics and health regeneation and dumb shit like deathcams, slowmo and stuff like that.

While I can appreciate the guns were a lot more satisfying it just ruined the game's feel for me. Health regeneration and respawning teammates also took away the sense of frailty of the the first two. I dunno if dumbed down is the right term, but it feels less hardcore that's for sure, which I guess goes against the idea that WW2 was horrible and you shouldn't be really enjoying it too much.

I've played them all back to back recently and really Road to Hill 30 feels so much better IMO.

Salsa

GQqAJ8F.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The stallionfree/morningbus signal has just been activated.

It doesn't seem to be working. :(

Hey, pantie-dropping Valentine's Day dinners of fettuccine alfredo with grilled chicken and broccoli and banana cupcakes with maple-peanut-butter-cream-cheese frosting do not make themselves. I came as soon as I could.

Others have pointed out Borderlands 2's many problems and each one is basically irrefutable fact. Borderlands 2 is a game that you must like despite itself.

You must like collecting loot, despite the fact that all the loot in the game sucks.
You must like grinding your character stats, despite the fact that each upgrade is so incremental and you never truly feel more powerful than at any other moment in the game.
You must like terrible MMO-style quest design despite the fact that the game has none of the good qualities of an actual MMO.
You must like the writing, as it is as in-your-face as the monitor in front of you, despite the fact that it is physically impossible to do so. Seriously, the worst writing ever in a game and I've played the beginning of Postal.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Charizard used LOL U mad?
It's super effective!
Enemy Scyther is Jelly. Enemy Scyther used FUUUUUUU!
Charizard fainted! The cyberpolice are on their way! Leave Charizard alone!

Yeah... No thanks.

Hey, pantie-dropping Valentine's Day dinners of fettuccine alfredo with grilled chicken and broccoli and banana cupcakes with maple-peanut-butter-cream-cheese frosting do not make themselves. I came as soon as I could.

Others have pointed out Borderlands 2's many problems and each one is basically irrefutable fact. Borderlands 2 is a game that you must like despite itself.

You must like collecting loot, despite the fact that all the loot in the game sucks.
You must like grinding your character stats, despite the fact that each upgrade is so incremental and you never truly feel more powerful than at any other moment in the game.
You must like terrible MMO-style quest design despite the fact that the game has none of the good qualities of an actual MMO.
You must like the writing, as it is as in-your-face as the monitor in front of you, despite the fact that it is physically impossible to do so. Seriously, the worst writing ever in a game and I've played the beginning of Postal.
I'm afraid to ask... was the pun intended, or is it a shameful confession?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Charizard used LOL U mad?
It's super effective!
Enemy Scyther is Jelly. Enemy Scyther used FUUUUUUU!
Charizard fainted! The cyberpolice are on their way! Leave Charizard alone!

Yeah... No thanks.

I'm afraid to ask... was the pun intended, or is it a shameful confession?

Considering how there is four hours from the 'Bus signal being fired to when I came into the thread, I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Morningbus is a selfish lover confirmed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Considering how there is four hours from the 'Bus signal being fired to when I came into the thread, I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of at all.
For all I know, you could have spent them cooking. Or eating. Or having a seizure due to the posts talking about Borderlands 2.

Wow R.U.S.E is only $2.50, I snatched it up lol. BF3 is $12 on Origin, grabbed that as well. Deleted a couple of games oin my steam that my comp can't handle and ones I won't bother playing for a while. Freed up over 80 GB of space lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Really? I thought the other way, the series went downhill with HH's louder narrative, better shooting mechanics and health regeneation and dumb shit like deathcams, slowmo and stuff like that.

While I can appreciate the guns were a lot more satisfying it just ruined the game's feel for me. Health regeneration and respawning teammates also took away the sense of frailty of the the first two. I dunno if dumbed down is the right term, but it feels less hardcore that's for sure, which I guess goes against the idea that WW2 was horrible and you shouldn't be really enjoying it too much.

I've played them all back to back recently and really Road to Hill 30 feels so much better IMO.
The first two games were about as dumb as you could get for tactical shooters and some levels had ridiculously rigid design which just made troop placement infuriating trial and error. The shooting only made the experience more grating as you felt completely handicapped when it came to hitting targets just so you would be forced to use your troops. That to me is fucking backwards design logic.

HH wisely allowed the player to actually feel like an active participant and had a steady stream of new differently color-schemed locales.

OK I know I'm late with this but people are actually installing an entire fucking OS for a TF2 hat?

Teh call of teh Gaben is mighty indeed

Well, you don't really need to install Linux, you can just use a Live USB key for example.

If you already have TF2 on Windows, you can just copy the GCF files to the Linux SteamApps folder, and then download something like 200MB.

All this can be done in 20 minutes or so.

Blizzard

Banned
For all I know, you could have spent them cooking. Or eating. Or having a seizure due to the posts talking about Borderlands 2.
Considering both Stallion and morningbus weren't here at the same time, I think it's pretty clear who the dinner was for.

Switching an upcoming DLC release for a single MP map and the full soundtrack for a 10-track sample? How cheap can you get, Squeenix? Could've at least thrown in a hat.

That is pretty scummy. Now I'm glad I didn't pay double to get it through steam.

jediyoshi

chvhpykh4.png

Been modding the metro skin into a white theme for fun
Gonna redo the font colours, just gotta find a way to organize what's what better in the style file

zkylon

zkylewd
The first two games were about as dumb as you could get for tactical shooters and some levels had ridiculously rigid design which just made troop placement infuriating trial and error. The shooting only made the experience more grating as you felt completely handicapped when it came to hitting targets just so you would be forced to use your troops. That to me is fucking backwards design logic.

HH wisely allowed the player to actually feel like an active participant and had a steady stream of new differently color-schemed locales.
They were a lot like Spec Ops: The Line, puzzles dressed as shooting, which I enjoy a lot. It was a matter of finding the solution to it, which always was suppress and flank, just finding out where and how. It felt really satisfying to pull off a mission with no casualties and it was really tense because one bad call could cost someone's life.

I didn't call the older BiA games deep, nor HH dumbed down, they're all pretty simple games, but I think the first two were effective at designing the game around those "puzzles" whereas HH wasn't. I also liked that they were more minimalistic with their storytelling and their set-pieces (probably a budget thing but still) and it just felt better for me.

As for the color in HH, I dunno, I'd normally agree but UE3 games have sometimes this 'look' I can't really put into words but it just looked too much like that, like artificially saturated or something.

Not saying HH is bad, I just didn't fall in love with it like I did with Road to Hill 30, a game I think is among the best shooters ever.

haikira

Does anyone know how to make the icons in grid view, even smaller? I'm using Steam Compact, which is an improvement. But i want to make the smallest possible, just a little smaller still.

JaseC

Does anyone know how to make the icons in grid view, even smaller? I'm using Steam Compact, which is an improvement. But i want to make the smallest possible, just a little smaller still.

There's a zoom bar you can fiddle with.

JaseC

Dem progress bars gotta fill dem progress bars

Ubi got me with AC2 and AC:B... at least AC2 was fun

Part of the reason I had quite a bit of fun running around while completing menial tasks in the AssCreed 2 trilogy is that the locations were superbly realised (bland countryside aside), but 18th-century America wasn't nearly as aesthetically enthralling as 15th-century Italy.

Yeah. I find the smallest possible you can achieve with that, is still too large for my liking.

Here's a before and after using downsampling, which shows what i'm looking for.

Ah. As far as I'm aware there's not a lot you can do about that, unfortunately.

zkylon

zkylewd
Part of the reason I had quite a bit of fun running around while completing menial tasks in the AssCreed 2 trilogy is that the locations were superbly realised (bland countryside aside), but 18th-century America wasn't nearly as aesthetically enthralling as 15th-century Italy.
Yup, that's my main reason for waiting for a killer sale for ACIII.

I'm also pretty jaded, AC:B really killed my love for the series.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Considering both Stallion and morningbus weren't here at the same time, I think it's pretty clear who the dinner was for.
OH FUCK! There was a Steam-GAF party and I wasn't invited? I'm a sad panda.

By the way, I still haven't received my Indie Gala keys, nor a response from them. Guess I'll shoot them another e-mail this evening, and if there's still nothing, threathen them with doing a chargeback. And then actually do it tomorrow if things don't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom