• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Year Walk |OT| First Person Swedish Swiping Horror

dream

Hi. I make the worst OTs, but this game is so good that I felt compelled to cobble something together. It's quite possibly the most intelligent and immersive horror game I've played in years.

Plus, it's only 4 bucks.

Here's what it's about:

In the old days man tried to catch a glimpse of the future in the strangest of ways.

Experience the ancient Swedish phenomena of year walking through a different kind of first person adventure that blurs the line between two and three dimensions as well as reality and the supernatural.

Venture out into the dark woods where strange creatures roam, on a vision quest set in 19th century Sweden. Solve cryptic puzzles, touch and listen in your search to foresee the future and finally discover if your loved one will love you back.

Mysteries and clues await everywhere in Year Walk, but to fully understand the events that took place on that cold New Year's Eve, you will have to delve deeper than the adventure and lose yourself between fact and fiction.

Here's what it looks like:

mzl.ycnhcelp.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.cezadrvf.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.wgophxza.320x480-75.jpg

Here's what people are saying about it:

Simogo's created an adventure-puzzler hybrid that feels a little like Fez by way of the Blair Witch Project or House of Leaves. It's a poised, playful game, offering the controlled baiting of a really good ghost story while still allowing your imagination sufficient space to roam and fret and obsess.

Elegant and artful, Year Walk is an unmissable piece of work - and one that is surprisingly hard to disentangle yourself from once it's done. You can close the app and put down the phone, but the forest may spread beyond its glassy confines, its spindly, silver-skinned trees taking root in your own home, your own dreams.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-19-year-walk-review

And there's the story. It's not overbearing - there's actually very little direct dialogue in this game - but what little is there is endlessly intriguing. As with any good page-turner, you won't want to put this game down until you get to the end.

It's quite a journey, too. Year Walk is a beguiling adventure, and a truly memorable experience. Throw in those clever puzzles and - if you enjoyed games like The Room and Sword & Sworcery - you've just found your next essential adventure.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Year+Walk/review.asp?c=48717

The setting and premise of Year Walk are its strongest features and its guiding principles. It's a delicately and precisely-paced game that pulls all of its design elements toward one goal: the over-arching dread of dealing with dark and dangerous things, the fear of pushing too far into the supernatural. Eventually, the story breaks free of the confines of Year Walk itself -- to say more about the endgame would be to spoil a series of meta-events that gave me goosebumps.
http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/21/year-walk-review-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

Here's where to get it:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/year-walk/id555916407?mt=8 ($3.99!)

And here's the free companion app that expands on the events of the game while seemingly containing secrets of its own...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/year-walk-companion/id597879895?mt=8

Zia

A bump for the 2013 Game of the Year (so far). For anyone on the fence, this is by the creators of Beat Sneak Bandit, my favorite iOS game and one of the best games of the last few years. Not that the games are anything alike, but still... it has that trademark Simogo, Nintendo-esque "polish."

Also, the game is the second highest-rated game of the year on Metacritic at the time of this post. You know, because that matters. It's just good to know the Simogo guys will be receiving their bonuses from corporate.

I'm just gonna bump this thread. I never thought an iOS game could creep me the hell out, but I was very, very wrong. Anyone who loves adventure games, horror, or horror adventure games should check this out immediately. It's the best game I've played in 2013 thus far.

Play it at night with your headphones on for maximum spookiness.

the-iek

I just finished the game. The atmosphere throughout the game was creepy but I wouldn't consider it a horror adventure. Some of the puzzles reminded me of old adventure games. This was the first time in quite a while that I took notes while playing a game. Well, I wrote some stuff done in my notes app.

The ending was fantastic and very powerful. Loved it.

Larsen B

I had no idea what to expect going in and I would even say that including "horror" in the OT title gives away more than people should know. Especially after I just knew Simogo from Bumpy Road and thought it might be more of the same.

I definitely found it chilling. The jump scares were effective but the overall atmosphere was amazing. I dreaded going into every building. So I really liked it when I finished it but the post-game stuff elevated it completely.

I love when you think what you're playing or watching is one thing and then it gets subverted entirely. Also, I don't think I've ever found multitouch used as well as it is here.

Zia

The Telegraph published a really nice review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/9889670/Year-Walk-review.html

Year Walk is a small but perfectly formed piece of digital entertainment that shows there’s much more to iOS than endless runners and free-to-play timewasters. A game this distinctive, this different, this thrillingly new is the best possible demonstration of the format’s versatility; indeed, of the narrative power of the interactive medium. Simogo has made something very special here. It doesn’t deserve to be lost in the App Store scrum.

Snipes424

saw Gaintbomb's quicklook and tried it out today and beat it. Great atmosphere and the ending is pretty damn powerful.

bonesquad

Word of advice since Year Walk isn't very long:

Don't watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

The QL is 30 minutes long, but you can complete everything in under 90 minutes. So that QL spoils a lot. If the OP interest you, just buy it:) The less you know going in the better.

While I didn't expect a 5 hour game, I was a bit disappointed it was so short. But if that doesn't bother you the game is cool, creative, and creepy enough that it's worth getting.

Oh my God. I finished the game but I never put the code into the companion app until now...

Wow. I don't think I'm done yet! This is incredible. I realize now that there is something in the game I never figured out.
The Box

Everyone must get the companion app. It's a must. Read it in full before you play the game-then after completing the game, put the pass code in the companion app. sogood.gif

PittaGAF

Yeah, if you stop playing when you see for the first time the credits, you are doing it wrong.
Using (for real, not just reference) the companion app elevates the already awesome game to a whole new level IMHO.

So play till you see the real 'The end' screen.

And mind you, many are convinced that THERE IS EVEN MORE after that....obtained scavenging websites like

http://www.vedtorp.se/

or

http://almsten.se/

in a super cool meta game.

Year Walk, while being a real and awesome videogame with incredible use of the medium, is IMHO much more than that...a truly piece of art.
If it was on other more traditional platforms (where it wouldn't be the same IMHO) I'm convinced EVERYONE would talk about it as one of the most incredible experiences you can have in gaming since many years.

PittaGAF

Can someone give me a hint about the
flame in the cave
? I don't know what to do now... :( just a hint please nothing big

If you really want....

Just drag the flame around....Explore EVERY CORNER and touch around.

Let me know if you want something more precise.

$h@d0w

I just finished this. I found it enjoyable but I feel it's being slightly overrated.

Worth playing but not landmark.

NAPK1NS

Just finished it. Really unique stuff and I liked the companion integration. Anyone discover what to do about that box?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Intrigued by this, but going to have to likely pass on it due to its iOS nature. Seems really interesting and up my alley, though!

Larsen B

I hate when people say "if you haven't done X, you haven't seen the real game" but that is Year Walk. You have to get the [free] Compendium and watch the credits.

V_Ben

Banned
Oh man. Finished it, and I mean finished it. Did the companion app stuff, super awesome. What a weird, intriguing little game. Had to stop playing it at night after one of the scares...

Neiteio

I don't have the means to play this (I suppose it wouldn't work on Kindle Fire since Kindle Fire isn't iOS, right?), but man it's encouraging to see something in this genre and of this caliber hit a platform with such a large install base, because it means more people will potentially begin to see the range of experiences of games can offer.

I think a lot has to be said about the design of this game and its brilliance. There is no menu, hardly any text, NO INSTRUCTIONS OR HAND HOLDING. The act of exploration and experimentation yields the rewards in this game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The section with the
ghost children you have to find
had some of the best "think outside the box" puzzles I've seen in a game, a bit like how Hotel Dusk and Another Code on the DS really utilised the system. Specifically, the ones I loved were
turning the iPhone upside down
and
dragging on past the edge of the screen
. Really fun puzzle experience and I love the art style and atmosphere. Great stuff.

Grisby

I'm surprised that it supports 3GS. I haven't bought n IOS game in a long long time. Does anyone know if it runs alright on a 3GS and is it ok on just a phone?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played until after
the Huldra
yesterday in bed and holy fuck at the
cheap scare when you meet her
. Glad I had my headphones off by then. Saw the
Brook Horse's head in the water
after that and turned off the iPad almost instantly. Definitely not playing this so late again, lol. I had a bit of trouble with the
singing
but I'm bent on beating this without any outside help, even if I have to take it slow at times.

Companion app was a great idea and is definitely needed, I'm reading the sections either before or after I
meet the corresponding creatures
, and without it the game would seem a bit random considering I wasn't familiar with the mythos I'm dealing with (which I'm loving learning about).

OT, but I also want to thank Simogo for introducing me to Matti Bye & Mattias Olsson's Elephant & Castle album through one of their Year Walk posts on the blog.

SmokyDave

I picked this up last night but haven't played it yet. Looking forward to sitting down and reading the companion app with a nice cold beer and then sticking some headphones in and playing it through. I'll be sure to keep going until I know I've hit the 'real' end.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Beat it
(real ending)
. Amazing stuff, short but I'm left completely satisfied. One of those gaming experiences that will certainly stick with me in a way that I'll find myself randomly thinking back to it in the future. Outstanding use of the platform, and being able to use two different devices to play made it even more special to me.

Almost
shat myself in the dark bunker. I'm happy nothing jumped at me in there, even though the stairs falling got a little "oh fuck" out of me
. Some Blair Witch moments for me in this. There's something to be said about the "cheap" scares in the game because I can't really call them cheap per se. The ones that happen serve a purpose of making you feel anxious and really heighten the entire atmosphere.

The
companion app integration
= brilliant.

The section with the
ghost children you have to find
had some of the best "think outside the box" puzzles I've seen in a game, a bit like how Hotel Dusk and Another Code on the DS really utilised the system. Specifically, the ones I loved were
turning the iPhone upside down
and
dragging on past the edge of the screen
. Really fun puzzle experience and I love the art style and atmosphere. Great stuff.
Agreed, as I played that part I kept thinking how good the
multitouch for carrying of the babies and the dragging of the screen were
, it's in line with the kind of solution I always try in this type of game but is rarely implemented.

And mind you, many are convinced that THERE IS EVEN MORE after that....obtained scavenging websites like

http://www.vedtorp.se/

or

http://almsten.se/

in a super cool meta game.
Oh man, I'll love if there's anything to this.

I think a lot has to be said about the design of this game and its brilliance. There is no menu, hardly any text, NO INSTRUCTIONS OR HAND HOLDING. The act of exploration and experimentation yields the rewards in this game.
Yep. I hope more people discover Year Walk, it deserves the recognition. I don't really partake in the discussions about games having "soul", but if there is such a thing YW is certainly one of those.

Beat it
(real ending)
. Amazing stuff, short but I'm left completely satisfied. One of those gaming experiences that will certainly stick with me in a way that I'll find myself randomly thinking back to it in the future. Outstanding use of the platform, and being able to use two different devices to play made it even more special to me.

Almost
shat myself in the dark bunker. I'm happy nothing jumped at me in there, even though the stairs falling got a little "oh fuck" out of me
. Some Blair Witch moments for me in this. There's something to be said about the "cheap" scares in the game because I can't really call them cheap per se. The ones that happen serve a purpose of making you feel anxious and really heighten the entire atmosphere.

The
companion app integration
= brilliant.

Agreed, as I played that part I kept thinking how good the
multitouch for carrying of the babies and the dragging of the screen were
, it's in line with the kind of solution I always try in this type of game but is rarely implemented.

Oh man, I'll love if there's anything to this.

Yep. I hope more people discover Year Walk, it deserves the recognition. I don't really partake in the discussions about games having "soul", but if there is such a thing YW is certainly one of those.

Agreed with all this-I remember people a few years ago going ape shit over Braid and calling that art, and I had no reaction to it-this to me is the closest realization to "art" in a game that I can think of in recent memory-and again it's an experience that can only be experiencing on this particular platform. The music, the companion app, the "out of the box" puzzle solutions, the ambience and atmosphere-everythign is perfect-and as you said it is short, but wholly satisfying.

kazabi

I rarely buy games on my iPhone, but I decided to try this game out since it looked interesting. I really enjoyed the creepy atmosphere and the puzzles were really well made. The companion helped with setting the mood for the game and
the way it was used for the real ending was really cool.

I'm surprised that it supports 3GS. I haven't bought n IOS game in a long long time. Does anyone know if it runs alright on a 3GS and is it ok on just a phone?

It runs fine on the 3GS and I didn't notice the game slowing down at any point.

ekim

Downloaded the game and companion app 3 days ago but haven't touched it yet. So from reading the thread, I should read the companion app stuff before playing the actual game?

Larsen B

You should play the game and if you get stuck or finish it or are interested in reading more about anything you find, read the Companion.

a bit like how Hotel Dusk and Another Code on the DS really utilised the system
I'm a huge fan of Another Code and Hotel Dusk. The former was especially a big inspiration for Year Walk. RIP CiNG :(

I should read the companion app stuff before playing the actual game?
Seen this question quite a few times. There's no "right" way to do it. You can switch between them as much as you like, or even read the fact pages before starting the game.

The reception has been quite phenomenal. All the kind words in this thread is heart warming and much appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of Another Code and Hotel Dusk. The former was especially a big inspiration for Year Walk. RIP CiNG :(

Seen this question quite a few times. There's no "right" way to do it. You can switch between them as much as you like, or even read the fact pages before starting the game.

The reception has been quite phenomenal. All the kind words in this thread is heart warming and much appreciated.

You guys rock. What's next for you guys, genre-wise.

ekim

Thanks do answering. I'm still stuck in the
cave
. I had two possible solutions but none of them worked...

Top Bottom