• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #120 - "The Losers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Theme - "The Losers"

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, May 17th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, May 18th, and goes until Monday, May 20th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Team Up

Rather than focus on a single protagonist, or antagonist, make it a group of people that you should try to make individually unique and interesting in the amount of words you might normally spend on one character. They don't have to be the main characters, but they should be fleshed out instead of being an amorphous blob.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Nezumi

Damn I should have saved my Goblin story for this. It would have fitted perfectly for both objectives and now I'll have a hard time thinking of something else...

ronito

Hrmm...that's an interesting topic.

The obvious first play on it is a bunch of loser kids teaming up to take down a bully or something.

Just two more ideas to throw away before I can start writing!

Cyan

Banned
Maybe I will. Maybe I will.

Oh did you see my question in the old thread regarding the Steven Brust books?

Brust is great. He can be inconsistent, but he does some amazing things with style and structure (and his characters and world and so on) that I just love to read. The early Vlad books can be a bit wobbly, and you may find you don't like some of the setup for the world and the characters (there's teleportation and resurrection, there are a number of characters that seem just too powerful at first), but the series as a whole is wonderful and Vlad is an incredibly entertaining protagonist (the bulk of the series is in First Person Smartass). Start with Jhereg and see what you think.

Nezumi

Brust is great. He can be inconsistent, but he does some amazing things with style and structure (and his characters and world and so on) that I just love to read. The early Vlad books can be a bit wobbly, and you may find you don't like some of the setup for the world and the characters (there's teleportation and resurrection, there are a number of characters that seem just too powerful at first), but the series as a whole is wonderful and Vlad is an incredibly entertaining protagonist (the bulk of the series is in First Person Smartass). Start with Jhereg and see what you think.

Thanks! Just downloaded it :)

Sober

Feeling sick lately but I also haven't gotten around to any of these in a while. Hopefully my fever clears up quickly enough for me to think of something.

Playing around with an idea involving millions of ronitos stuck on a desolate planet.
Ice cold. :lol

I finished my challenge entry from last time. It ended up being 5800 words. A wizard's story is never too short, nor too long. It is precisely the length it means to be!

ronito

Second idea.
Sex toys wage war against videogame consoles. Ending with the Hitachi Magic Wand coming down and vibrating everything into oblivion.

sadly, I looked at the first line"It started with the butt plugs. But then it always does."
And thought, "Nah, this is too similar to stuff I've done before."

I have become a monster. Who else looks at that line and thinks that?

Second idea.
Sex toys wage war against videogame consoles. Ending with the Hitachi Magic Wand coming down and vibrating everything into oblivion.

sadly, I looked at the first line"It started with the butt plugs. But then it always does."

None of my stories even contain the words "butt plug".

Ashes

Banned
Second idea.

sadly, I looked at the first line "It started with the butt plugs. But then it always does."

Shit opening line.

dick move.

Nezumi

Hm, I'm somewhat torn. On the one hand I would think it incredible lazy if I just used a set of characters from, what, two challenges ago. On the other hand every time I try to come up with something for this challenge I can't help thinking about those guys and what they would do... the fact that I don't think I did them justice in the last story doesn't help.
What do I do? what do I do?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hm, I'm somewhat torn. On the one hand I would think it incredible lazy if I just used a set of characters from, what, two challenges ago. On the other hand every time I try to come up with something for this challenge I can't help thinking about those guys and what they would do... the fact that I don't think I did them justice in the last story doesn't help.
What do I do? what do I do?

Just use them. Sometimes you'll come up with characters for a story, but find out they aren't a good fit for it. Then later you may find a story they'd be perfect for. It's all part of the process. No shame in reusing them.

Cyan

Banned
We've seen reused characters plenty of times in here. Not only is there nothing wrong with it, it's part of the fun!

If you come up with characters interesting enough to you that you can hang multiple stories on them, why the hell not?

Reusing characters ought to be a good thing.

To abandon your poor creations to the abyss after such a short time on this earth is just cruel. Give them a second life!

Cyan

Banned

These stories are far too short to abandon your poor creations to the abyss after such a short time on this earth.

This too. :)

And some of my favorite stories from here have featured recurring characters. Nitewulf's De La Cruz, Timedog's Malugo, and of course ronito's donkey.

Mike M

Nick N
I definitely have characters that are suitable for episodic encounters.

This entry features a couple of them.

Nezumi

Just use them. Sometimes you'll come up with characters for a story, but find out they aren't a good fit for it. Then later you may find a story they'd be perfect for. It's all part of the process. No shame in reusing them.

We've seen reused characters plenty of times in here. Not only is there nothing wrong with it, it's part of the fun!

If you come up with characters interesting enough to you that you can hang multiple stories on them, why the hell not?

To abandon your poor creations to the abyss after such a short time on this earth is just cruel. Give them a second life!

I definitely have characters that are suitable for episodic encounters.

This entry features a couple of them.

Thanks everybody, I'll just go ahead and let those guys run loose then :)

Ashes

Banned
Reuse some characters! ;)

Cyan came into the tavern with nothing but shattered hopes and dreams. To his dismay, a donkey was braying outdoors. What's that racket? he wondered.
Al Roker walked in, adjusting his belt...

Nezumi

Once again less than 24 hours left till the deadline and I haven't written a single word yet. That my back is still hurting so much that just looking at my desk chair makes me cringe in pain doesn't really help.
Guess it is time to blow of the dust from my old shitty laptop and revive my beanbag chair.

sqwarlock

God dammit, missed another one. When do these normally get posted? I really want to try my hand at one of these, but I need more that a day to work on a story.

Nezumi

God dammit, missed another one. When do these normally get posted? I really want to try my hand at one of these, but I need more that a day to work on a story.

The voting deadline is Monday night. That means the next challenge should be up sometime on Tuesday.

AnkitT

Who wants to give me a story idea? :/

A man gets trapped in a room orbiting Titan(a moon of Saturn), where he is being held captive by a sentient fleshlight.

I was thinking of writing it this week, but got exams coming up, so :\

Ward

prologue:
I am going to ask that you turn your speakers to quarter volume, right now. You will come upon a link in the story, and I want you to middle mouse button click it just once, and keep reading. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Backlash (Your experience may vary)
words: 1291

Ziegler’s calloused hand brought the name of each paint can into focus, searching for the right color.

Gray Rock... Silver Duck,...Smokey Ashtray... Rustic Stone... Grimey Slate...

Ziegler paused before placing Rustic Stone in the cart with the rest of the materials to build a dragon’s keep. The cart stopped at the register, and Ziegler reached for his wallet, hesitating for just an instant.

Mrs. Gayle, one of the wealthy supporters of the theater had assured him he would be reimbursed, “The check is on the way. Two-twenty five like you estimated.”

Ziegler didn’t necessarily mind covering the costs himself. He strove to impress with the sets he built. It was a cheap hobby, and he had donated materials and money before. And time. Zieger spent his life at the theater when opening night loomed ever closer.

Still, he didn’t like to act upon a promise until the promise was fulfilled. And he preferred to not give people a chance to break their word.

Cool morning air streamed in from the open window, the motor’s pistons pumped in unison, Pink Floyd reverberated over the speakers, and Zeigler pulled his truck into the parking lot, stopping next to the overhead door. It would be at least the afternoon before anyone else arrived. He adjusted his ballcap and unloaded the materials. The overhead door hit the ground with a resounding thump once the materials were secure.

The dragon’s keep. A last minute addition that Zeigler assured the stage manager would be ready in time. Mrs. Gayle had asked if there was any way she could contribute and a grander set was just the thing. It would anchor the right side of the stage, balancing the turrets of the ‘castle’. It would be the largest production set yet.

Zeigler glanced at his sketches and set to work, power tools whined as wood was altered. He glanced at his sketches as the keep took shape. Nails joined the wood, while braces and sandbags ensured the wall would stand. Brads joined the battlements to the frame.

Strong enough to hold a dragon. He surmised as he surveyed the work. He couldn’t imagine the stage without this Saturday addition. Pattern paper and some paint for effect and it would be done.

A backstage door broke his trance as door and frame met with a clang. The stage manager, Sedah, appeared moments later. Sedah circled the keep fully before commenting. “Fantastic, just what we needed.”

The back of Zeigler’s hand wiped the beads of sweat from his brow as he gulped water from a nearby bottle. “Came together pretty quick.”

“I would help, but I just stopped to grab some more tickets; the Chamber of Commerce is out.” Sedah stroked his goatee as he spoke. “If you need help tomorrow I’ll be here anyway.”

An empty offer. Sedah knew the set would be done tonight. “Thanks. We’ll see.” Zeigler coughed into the crook of his arm. “I hope it won’t take that long.”

Sedah nodded called over his shoulder as he left, “Fantastic. Great work all around.”

Once the door latched into place, Zeigler resumed his task. He attached the pattern paper to the walls, wondering if he should have asked Sedah about the check before deciding there was no need to push the issue. People could get funny about money, and he wasn’t in a bind.

A dinner break allowed glue to dry and afforded Zeigler an excuse to rest. Not bothering to heat the sandwich he retrieved from the cooler in his truck, he picked out the small blemishes on his set. A lesson for next time.

Close to midnight the dragon’s keep was positioned in its final resting place. Zeigler admired his work. It did look like a castle... as much as a fake castle scaled to fit in a theater could resemble the real thing.

Opening night came and went. Those aware of Zeigler’s contributions commended him on the set, sending superlatives his way. Marvelous construction... just like the real thing... unsung hero.

In the back of his mind was the check. No one had mentioned it, and opening night was three weeks ago. Enough time had passed. He called Sedah. Sedah said he wasn’t aware of any contributions that far into production. He assured Zeigler he’d look into it.

Between Gayle and Sedah, Zeigler would bet on Gayle. There was nothing wrong with Sedah, he had worked hard to return the theater to prominence, if it wasn’t for him Zeigler wouldn’t have his hobby and the theater would be a parking lot now. Despite that fact, he still found Sedah too self absorbed; a second rate car salesman.

Zeigler dialed the theater front office, hoping to catch the secretary. After the message prompt started he hung up. She must not get in until three.

It wasn’t that he needed the money, but that he had been promised the money and didn’t have it. He couldn’t respect someone who didn’t keep their word.

Again, he dialed and counted each successive ring. “Hello. Boydton Community Theater, how may I help you?” Angela asked.

“Hi Ang, I was wondering about a donation earmarked for the set.”

“Oh, hi. Sure. Do you remember when or how much?”

“Let’s see, probably five weeks ago. Should be for two hundred twenty five. From Miss Gayle.”

Zeigler could hear Angela thumbing through the ledger. He picked at a fingernail... waiting.

“Here it is. She did donate, January seventeenth. Two twenty five, just like you said.”

“Was a check made out to me for that amount or something close to it afterwards.” He asked.

“Just a sec’.”

The sound of paper fluttering again emitted from the phone to Zeigler’s ear.

“I’m not seeing anything. Was there supposed to be?”

“I thought so. Let me look into it. Thanks, Ang.”

Zeigler hung up the phone. He closed his eyes and ran his hand through his hair.

He called the theater again.

“Hi Ang, sorry. it’s me again.” He didn’t allow her time to respond. “Could you check to see if any checks were made to Sedah after the seventeenth?”

“For you? Of course.: Zeigler could picture the smile that must be on her face. “Just let me check the ledger. Did you hear about the next production? Sedah wants to adapt a crime drama to the stage... uh, yeah. Here it is, two-twenty five to Sedah Asmodai on January twenty first. So, yeah. I can’t wait to see your set for the new play.”

Zeigler’s mind was elsewhere. “Yeah, me neither. Thanks Ang. I’ll see you around.”

There were other possibilities, but none as entertaining. Zeigler knew there was only one answer here. The more he thought about it the stronger his desire to blame. Money did funny things to people.

The bigger question was what to do. Sedah was a fixture in the community; everyone knew his passion for theater. Name recognition alone would be enough to cast doubt on Zeigler’s claim. If the claim did come to fruition it assuredly meant the end of the Boydton theater.

Zeigler would have donated the money if asked. Sedah had no right to take that money.

But, Sedah had built the program from the ground up.

Zeigler shook his head. The bottom line was money meant for him had been subverted. He couldn’t respect someone like that.

Zeigler tried to ponder the right answer to his moral quandary. Did he do the right thing, report a thief while jeopardizing the entire theater and his own hobbies, or did he carry on and suck it up. Letting an immoral man run free to take advantage of the next opportunity, while Zeigler ensured his own interests remained intact.

Zeigler knew what he had to do.

I'm actually revising for an exam.
Ended up co-opting the rough draft I had into my on-going world building wiki, but sadly no story shall be submitted from you favorite Cephalopod.

multivac

Subterranean Homesick Blues (2062 words)
Password:

I originally started writing this in third omniscient because it felt more true to the secondary objective, but I don't feel comfortable enough with that viewpoint, so I rewrote it in third limited. Going to try some free-writing this weekend in omniscient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom