• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publisher Stance On Used-Games: Who Is Doing What

Let's keep this thread dedicated to actual news and quotes:

Erich Hirshberg (Activision) “Well, first of all the policies you’re talking about [used-games] are less than 24-hours old, so I don’t have anything new to share today. The best answer is, historically, Activision has not charged for used-games. We have not done Online Passes.” - Gametrailers interview

Peter Moore (EA): “We got the news just as we were getting on the plane to LA, so we haven’t time to figure out our business plan in regard to that. We’ll do that next week when we return to San Francisco. Right now, our focus has been on preparing for E3 to deliver a great show. Gamestop is an incredible partner for EA, and I think, a great potential for the industry. They have 6,000 stores across the world and do a magnificent job at marketing hype for titles. Their managers are superb. The power of rewards program is a marvellous thing for engaging with gamers. If having used-games, and everything it does for the ecosystem, keeps Gamestop investing in our industry, then we should all be up for it" - Source

Yves Guillemot (Ubisoft CEO): “We have to find the right solution for the parties involved; the consumer, the retailer and then publisher. So, used games, once they came after a while it doesn’t disturb the sale of the game so we get enough revenue to re-invest. Retailers help consumers buy more products, so thats positive. We are reviewing the entire thing. I’m not sure it has to be changed in the short-term; the way it works right now is fine. But as it becomes more digital, new systems will come”

In other words:

Publishers do not want to burn their fingers on the subject, but when the time comes and they see which way works best, they will either say A or B was the best choice.

Alx

I'm still wondering who is the main instigator of that system. The rumors seemed to point that EA and Ubi were fine with it, while Activision wasn't. But if we believe the declarations, they weren't directly involved in the discussions. So it's all about Gamestop ? Peter Moore mentions them explicitly after all.
And if they are to benefit from that (by reducing the competition I suppose), what would MS gain in exchange ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm still wondering who is the main instigator of that system. The rumors seemed to point that EA and Ubi were fine with it, while Activision wasn't. But if we believe the declarations, they weren't directly involved in the discussions. So it's all about Gamestop ? Peter Moore mentions them explicitly after all.
And if they are to benefit from that (by reducing the competition I suppose), what would MS gain in exchange ?

The talk initially was that MS would also get a cut, so that would have been financial incentive.

Now they're saying they won't take a cut, so that is gone.

On the GameTrailers panel, one of the contributors talked about how all of Microsoft's software is heading in this direction - online subscription, software as a service - and the edict to have these kind of controls on Xbox may have come from on high in MS itself as much as from anywhere else.

I think maybe not everyone in the OP is telling it straight about what they might have requested vs what they're now 'thinking' about though. But Activision and Ubisoft don't sound too bothered about DRM or used games at the moment.

As for EA, I saw on Twitter another journalist mentioning he was filing an interview with Peter Moore where basically half the interview was talking about this stuff. So maybe EA will let something more out there.

SpecX

I don't get how EA just heard about it as they were heading to E3. It was announced on May 21 at Microsoft's show and I'm sure they had discussions with some of the 3rd parties before deciding to go that route.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
EA didn't get rid of the online pass for nothing. I 99% guarantee those games are restricted on both systems. The other 1% is in the case that they decide to actually do something about their "One of the worst companies in America" status.

Ardenyal

Interesting how everyone still assumes (or should I say hopes?) that PS4 has the same DRM as XBone, even with all the quotes and clarifications the bullshit from unnamed sources keeps piling on.

Top Bottom