• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hir Isono (artist of Secret of Mana) has passed away

faridmon

Sad news. One of the best artist in the SNES era and definitely one of the most iconic figures at SE.

Hope his family are taking it easy and peacefully!

Foffy

Banned
I hope he enjoyed his life and the art he crafted, as I'm sure the legacy he made with the works he did will live on in those who experienced them. I also hope he didn't suffer in his last moments.

tsumineko

God damn... SoM is one of the rare instances where art and music joined so perfectly in creating a truly unique and complete artistic vision. The game always holds a fond place in my heart.

rubius01

Good God that sucks. And only 66 too. Too young.

16272_938969.jpg

This is the background to my PS3

Joule

That Mana cover was what got me interested in the series to begin with. It evoked something really magical and charming to me as a kid and even now.

May he rest in peace.

red731

I never played any of the Mana series, but judging by the art in OP I am missing very very much.

Rest in peace Hiro.

Wow... Secret of Mana was such a massive part of my childhood. My best friend and I used to have sleep overs and we would play SoM all night, this literally went on for years. Sad news :(

DJIzana

That... really sucks. He will be missed. Mana was definitely up there in my RPG titles and it was mainly due to the art. =(

Mlatador

Banned
:( sad news. SoM was the first RPGs I've played and I immediately fell in love with his art (lots of it in the official guide)

BOTEC

Damn. That Untold Story Of Japanese Game Developers book project can't happen soon enough. These guys are dropping like flies. Sad times.

GhostSeed

I just want to say thank you! Hopefully his friends and family know that their Hiro Isono touched a generation of gamers. Thanks again!

R-User!

RIP

I vaguely remember the beginning of Secret of Evermore... Was that game related to the "Secret of" series of games?

Either way, I'll dl Secret of Mana from Wii VC. Is there a better version?

Beautiful Art...

Einbroch

Banned
RIP

I vaguely remember the beginning of Secret of Evermore... Was that game related to the "Secret of" series of games?

Either way, I'll dl Secret of Mana from Wii VC. Is there a better version?

Beautiful Art...
Related in a inspirational way. Radial menu, combat system, graphics, etc. it's an amazing game and was actually made in the US, unlike every other Mana game.

Overlooked game with an incredible soundtrack and atmosphere. The creepy early 1800s London area sets an unnerving and fantastically depressing mood.

120v

seiken densetsu 2's artwork is probably the most iconic of that era, even moreso than amano's stuff. that cover sold that game

i was always bummed seiken densetsu 3's instruction booklet cover wasn't the game's cover. (the only image i can find is too big to post)... it was the perfect companion piece to SD2

GhaleonQ

Cripes. Well, at least it wasn't as premature as most recent deaths. I'd genuinely claim that he'd be remembered for any 1 work of his, never mind his portfolio in sum.

Secret of Mana had the best cover artwork. A bridge between Zelda and Final Fantasy. If it wasn't for his artwork I would not have been interested to have a look at what the game was about all those years ago.

Rest in peace you wonderful man, you played a big role in my childhood.

This makes me want to frame my Nintendo Power Secret of Mana poster that I've been putting off doing.

SimplyJah

I'm glad I have NeoGAF for instances like this. I would never have known of his passing if it wasn't for this place. He was a very talented landscape painter, from the looks of it. My condolences go out to his family and hope he may rest in peace.

The Secret of Mana title screen is among my fondest childhood gaming memories. That vast disparity of scale between the Mana tree and the protagonists, that sprawling imagery of nature...god, there's nothing like it. I wish I had a poster. Rest in peace, Mr. Isono.

Top Bottom