• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

test_account said:
What do i know now? Ok, we'll let you go with a warning this time, but remember it for the next time to not take me so serious when i use ";)" so its no problem, ok? :) And why do you come with a personal attack at me because i made a console joke? My point was that, should people make games for Wii just because it have a bigger install base than PS3? Then why not make it for PS2 or DS instead? Both got bigger install base :p Oh, and Final Fantasy is out for basicly every system. I should have wrote that in the quote instead of just PS3.

Software sales April 24 - May 6 (Famitsu)
DS 62.8%
Wii 19.1%
PS2 11.1%

PSP 4.3%
X360 1.1%
PS3 1.0%

gné

maynerd said:
someone needs to edit this with him holding a wiiimote in his hand or something...

http://129.94.222.47/gafgifs/havingfun.gif

havingfun.gif

:lol

Parl

AdmiralViscen said:
DS 62.8%
Wii 19.1%
PS2 11.1%

PSP 4.3%
X360 1.1%
PS3 1.0%

PS2 is on its way out. It's not just install-base, but how popular that system is at the time. It'll be damn hard to sell a PS1 game in decent numbers today.

test_account

XP-39C²
AdmiralViscen said:
DS 62.8%
Wii 19.1%
PS2 11.1%

PSP 4.3%
X360 1.1%
PS3 1.0%

I was talking about LTD console sales of course.

WII - 52,544 | 101,320 | 1,504,716 | 2,424,359
PS2 - 10,414 | 14,815 | 335,018 | 20,489,877

Wii is very popular at the moment and alot of popular and great new games are out for it compared to PS2. And remember, that is only sales for one week. When like 2-3 popular new PS2 games come out and no Wii games comes out for a week, the numbers are completely different. You must look at the total picture, not just one week of sale =)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Ok thanks, but can i get a source? :) Also remember that FF7 development wasnt started at the end of 96. It probly took like 2-3 years to make that game, meaning it was started around 1995 and how well was PSX selling then?
PS1 numbers here. I can't find a good online source for the N64 number, but how much do you think it could've sold in 7 months? The system wasn't exactly a huge success in Japan.

As for your second point, around 95 the PS1 was still way ahead of the nonexistent N64. The Saturn kept up with it in Japan back then but was pretty much dead everywhere else.
test_account said:
Wii is very popular at the moment and alot of popular and great new games are out for it compared to PS2. And remember, that is only sales for one week. When like 2-3 popular new PS2 games come out and no Wii games comes out for a week, the numbers are completely different. You must look at the total picture, not just one week of sale =)
PS2 is dying in Japan. It did great in the past, but Wii is the future as far as console gaming goes and you're just gonna have to accept that.

duckroll

Sinobi said that Odin Sphere is sold out or selling fast at most places, so there's a very good chance of it beating Shining Wind in the long haul. It seems that Atlus did a lower initial shipment, probably so they didn't have to print that many hardcover artbooks. Word of mouth is apparently very good.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Ouendan 2 slow start makes me wonder why the game isn't hot. It's pretty simplistic and stylistic game that can make laugh anyone in the family... maybe the advertising isn't good enough? Maybe it's a Brand know for being too hard? WTF is wrong with it? I can't see it!

And yes, Wii needs games. When the system gets games then it's going to explode into unseen numbers, maybe DS like numbers (if there's enough supply). It's just a matter of supply and games right now, because everyone wants a Wii.

felipeko

test_account said:

Wii userbase will grow, you know, right?
Wonder what [Wii 19.1% PS2 11.1%] will look like in 2 years from now...

Haunted

Ouendan 2 needs more than a 35k opening week.

If this continues, they won't make an EBA 2! :(

/jumping to conclusions

duckroll said:
Sinobi said that Odin Sphere is sold out or selling fast at most places, so there's a very good chance of it beating Shining Wind in the long haul. It seems that Atlus did a lower initial shipment, probably so they didn't have to print that many hardcover artbooks. Word of mouth is apparently very good.

So, same crap that happened with Sekaiju no Meikyuu?

duckroll

tanasten said:
Ouendan 2 slow start makes me wonder why the game isn't hot. It's pretty simplistic and stylistic game that can make laugh anyone in the family... maybe the advertising isn't good enough? Maybe it's a Brand know for being too hard? WTF is wrong with it? I can't see it!

Errr, it sold 4 times what the original game did on it's first day. Sinobi says it'll probably do 50k the first week.

35k for the first day for Ouendan 2 sounds pretty good imo. Didn't the first one sell more like ~10-20k in the first week?

Edit: I'm late :/

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
PS1 numbers here. I can't find a good online source for the N64 number, but how much do you think it could've sold in 7 months? The system wasn't exactly a huge success in Japan.

Thanks for the link. I dont know about N64 sales, thats why i asked since you said it was doing much worse. Therefor i asked for salenumbers :) I know N64 wasnt a huge success overall, but take i.e Dreamcast, that system did pretty well in the begining.

Jokeropia said:
As for your second point, around 95 the PS1 was still way ahead of the nonexistent N64. The Saturn kept up with it in Japan back then but was pretty much dead everywhere else.PS2 is dying in Japan. It did great in the past, but Wii is the future as far as console gaming goes.

True, but FF7 was suppose to be for N64 to begin with. Back then it was impossible to know if N64 would crush PSX or not, still, they chose PSX as the release platform. The same situation is it with FF13. When they started developing, Wii and 360 wasnt out yet so no one could for sure say that the situation would be like it is today.

True again, PS2 is dying slowly, but as i mentioned earlier my point was just a joke comment to the people who say that developers "must" release "all" their games for Wii just because it sells like hot cakes now because then they will sell more copies of the games. Of course, the more people owning a system the bigger chance is there to sell more copies of a game. Therefor i joked about it and say "why not make all games for PS2 then?" ;)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
duckroll said:
Errr, it sold 4 times what the original game did on it's first day. Sinobi says it'll probably do 50k the first week.

But Y'know, it's the DS, the hottest thing ever in Japan and the game is cool, simple and accessible, fun and funny... it should have sold like 2 times these numbers on day one. 35k only means slightly interested in, not that the game is on the spot.

Maybe the game earns popularity and gets legs, but I'm not sure after the original decease.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Branduil said:
I'm not convinced that FFXIII is going to end up on the Wii at this point, but I'm having a hard time seeing how they won't at the very least make a 360 version. Keeping FFXIII on the PS3 exclusively would probably be SquareEnix's biggest financial blunder since that terrible movie. A 360 version would certainly sell well in the West.

I guess the biggest question in my mind is how desperate SE is to keep people in Japan buying the series. Maybe they'll split the franchise, so to speak, with a more traditional, turn-based FF on the Wii for Japan, and the big cinematic FFXIII on PS3/360 for the west.

They already have FFCC for the Wii, if this situation continues(and let's not kid ourselves, it will), I wouldn't be surprised if the FFCC(or FF:"subtitle") and XIII projects swapped names. Stranger things have happened, and SquareEnix is certainly in a tight spot.

Aeris130

test_account said:

But no Wii game will ever be released during a week with no Wii games, so it doesn't really matter. Right? :p

Jokeropia

test_account said:
I know N64 wasnt a huge success overall, but take i.e Dreamcast, that system did pretty well in the begining.
No, the N64 never did well in Japan and the Dreamcast never did well anywhere. (Outside of at best the first week or something.) The only place the N64 did well was USA where it also went on to sell a very respectable 20 million.
test_account said:
True again, PS2 is dying slowly
In Japan it seems to be dying pretty rapidly to me.
test_account said:
Of course, the more people owning a system the bigger chance is there to sell more copies of a game.
Not if the system is dying (or dead), no. Whether you were kidding or not it still doesn't apply. Games that are greenlighted today will be released in around year the earliest. By then, the Wii is pretty much dead set to be a much more viable platform for software in Japan than PS2.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
No, the N64 never did well in Japan and the Dreamcast never did well anywhere. (Outside of at best the first week or something.) The only place the N64 did well was USA where it also went on to sell a very respectable 20 million.

I mean worldwide of course. I doubt FF7 was planed as a Japan only release.

Jokeropia said:
Not if the system is dying (or dead), no. Whether you were kidding or not it still doesn't apply. Games that are greenlighted today will be released in around year the earliest. By then, the Wii is pretty much dead set to be a much more viable platform for software in Japan than PS2.

Totaly depends. Again i'm talking about worldwide sales, not just Japan (i know this is a MC thread, but the example that started this was about general sales, not just in Japan). If there are any newer competitors on the marked a game might sell more copies on a newer console that got 10 million install base compared to an older console that got 30 million install base. But looking at todays situation, ~2.5 million (Wii) VS ~20.5 million (PS2), both consoles growing every week, it is a bigger chance logicaly looking that a PS2 game will seller more copies of a game. It must be the same game of course. You cant compare i.e Super Paper Mario for Wii sales to some Simple 2000 game for PS2 sales.

Its also impossible for a developer/publisher to know for sure if a game will sell more copies if they release it for Wii or PS2. Many 3rd party games havnt done too well for Wii, who knows if they would have done it better on PS2. Next game i know thats rather popular and is comming out for both Wii and PS2 is Manhunt 2. We'll see then ;)

But i agree to your last point. In a year the Wii is probly much more popular than PS2 so its a bigger chance to sell a good amount of games for Wii.

enishi

tanasten said:
But Y'know, it's the DS, the hottest thing ever in Japan and the game is cool, simple and accessible, fun and funny... it should have sold like 2 times these numbers on day one. 35k only means slightly interested in, not that the game is on the spot.

Maybe the game earns popularity and gets legs, but I'm not sure after the original decease.

But they cannot sell more if it is sold out... Besides 4 times of first day number as Ouendan 1, Sinobi also mentioned that it starts to be sold out in some places.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
I mean worldwide of course. I doubt FF7 was planed as a Japan only release.
And the fact that the N64 was going to be released over 1.5 years after the PS1 meant that it was pretty much certain to have a smaller worldwide installed base than the PS1 by the time FFVII was released. Obviously the fact that Nintendo stuck with cartridges was a big reason FF went to Playstation, but it was the best decision from a market share standpoint as well.
test_account said:
But i agree to your last point. In a year the Wii is probly much more popular than PS2 so its a bigger chance to sell a good amount of games for Wii.
Alright then.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
And the fact that the N64 was going to be released over 1.5 years after the PS1 meant that it was pretty much certain to have a smaller worldwide installed base than the PS1 by the time FFVII was released.

True enough, but they couldnt know if N64 would be a smashing hit compared to PSX and they could have made a N64 version too ;) Altho this business is alot about the money as any other business, i'm sure some developers choose to develope for a system where they have more posibilities instead of just going by the most popular console at the time.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
True enough, but they couldnt know if N64 would be a smashing hit compared to PSX and they could have made a N64 version too ;)
That would've been very un-Square, and also ignores the cartridge problem.
test_account said:
Altho this business is alot about the money as any other business, i'm sure some developers choose to develope for a system where they have more posibilities instead of just going by the most popular console at the time.
Yes, I have no doubt the 360 will keep getting good support thanks to it's solid software performance so far. (Obviously talking worldwide - mostly US - here.) PS3 could potentially get some ports from that, but needs to pick up soon if it wants any serious support beyond what is already known.

milanbaros

Member?
Does anyone else think that the Wii's sales in Japan means that some of Nintendo's big hitters will outsell one or both of the super games WW (Halo 3 and GTA4)?

I think SSBB will outsell both if its released this year in all major markets.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
milanbaros said:
Does anyone else think that the Wii's sales in Japan means that some of Nintendo's big hitters will outsell one or both of the super games WW (Halo 3 and GTA4)?

You're making it sound like there won't be a Wii game outselling either of those in NA alone...

Terrell

tebiro boy said:
Anyway, FFXIII won't end up on the Wii. It will sell less than most recent instalments, and Square will be expecting this. But worldwide, it should still do well enough to turn a profit.
If Square Enix is expecting less than normal sales, why would they make a game that looks to have the largest budget of any FF game EVER? That's like me walking towards a visible cliffside, only to stop walking and prepare to gas up my motorbike to DRIVE towards it.

And enough with this worldwide sales recouping Japan's loses... go read the NPD thread, Sony ain't in a much better situation here, y'know, being outsold by Game Boy Advance for the third consecutive month. Or are we going to pin all of FFXIII's hopes for sales on Europe now, only to watch that collapse in on itself as well?

Eteric Rice

Terrell said:
If Square Enix is expecting less than normal sales, why would they make a game that looks to have the largest budget of any FF game EVER? That's like me walking towards a visible cliffside, only to stop walking and prepare to gass up my motorbike to DRIVE towards it.

And enough with this worldwide sales recouping Japan's loses... go read the NPD thread, Sony ain't in a much better situation here. Or are we going to pin all of FFXIII's hopes for sales on Europe now, only to watch that collapse in on itself as well?

Probably because they Wii's sucker punch to the industry coming.

Hell, Sony didn't even see it coming.

Hell (again), Nintendo didn't even see it coming. It was like they just watched their fist crash into the skull of Sony. :|

jarrod

Banned
milanbaros said:

I think Mario Galaxy's the only one with a real chance. If I had to bet on it, I'd say...

GTA4 > Mario Galaxy > Halo 3 (ww)

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
That would've been very un-Square, and also ignores the cartridge problem.
Yes, I have no doubt the 360 will keep getting good support thanks to it's solid software performance so far. (Obviously talking worldwide - mostly US - here.) PS3 could potentially get some ports from that, but needs to pick up soon if it wants any serious support beyond what is already known.

Thats one thing i wonder about. There are many games (atleast it was for PSX and PS2) that never made it outside Japan. If some developers want to make a more flashy game that what Wii can handle, will they stick with PS3 only or will they take the time to port it to 360 too? 360 isnt exactly selling well there. Maybe this will boost PS3 sales alot in Japan, who knows. Then i'm thinking of games that only will be released in Japan.

milanbaros said:

According to Wikipedia SSBM for GC sold like 7 million copies (which is crazy! o_O). I'm sure ALOT of people cant wait to get their hands on SSBB so im not suprised if it sells like 5 million, or possibly on par with SSBM, but that will possibly take some time. Super Mario Galaxy might sell a few million copies too, maybe on par with Halo 3 and GTA 4, very hard to say.

Link

The Autumn Wind
jarrod said:
I think Mario Galaxy's the only one with a real chance. If I had to bet on it, I'd say...

GTA4 > Mario Galaxy > Halo 3 (ww)
I'd think SSBB has the better chance, actually. It's a much easier game to pick up and play, plus because it has multiplayer, it's the type of game that people play over a friend's, then wants to buy themselves. It was the same for SSBM -- not to mention Halo -- last gen.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Link said:
I'd think SSBB has the better chance, actually. It's a much easier game to pick up and play, plus because it has multiplayer, it's the type of game that people play over a friend's, then wants to buy themselves. It was the same for SSBM -- not to mention Halo -- last gen.

SSBB might be seriously effected though, depending on what choice Nintendo makes with the control scheme.

Eteric Rice said:
Hell (again), Nintendo didn't even see it coming. It was like they just watched their fist crash into the skull of Sony. :|
It's like Nintendo closed their eyes and took a wild swing half expecting to miss. However, they open their eyes to find out they OHKO'd Sony and the whole world goes "OSHI-!"

EDIT: Yay for Ouendan 2. Hope my copy gets here soon. I also hope it has legs, 'cause I want my Ouendan 3.

D.Lo

creamsugar said:
Ouendan 2 (DS) - 35k
I would have thought higher based solely on imports. Shows you how small the internets really are.

Still, it's cool that for the first time ever I'll have contributed to the numbers in a Japanese sale thread!

(I buy a lot of Japanese games but I've never imported on release day before).

Holy Order Sol said:
Vegeta9000.jpg

IT'S BELOW NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND !
Amazing!

andthebeatgoeson

test_account said:
People that make games proffesionaly want the games to sell as much copies as possible of coure. But is this the only factor? Right now the Wii is selling at the fastest rate when we talk about consoles, so making games for it would have a bigger chance to sell more copies of the games. But wouldnt developers also want to make games for consoles where they have more possibilities? I mean, PS3 and 360 got more powerful hardware than Wii. Like wasnt FF7 suppose to be a N64 title in the first place, but they changed it to PSX because they had more possibilities because of the CD-media?
People keep saying that and repeating that the boost in power enables better physics and animation, etc. But then again, I'm running through, what many consider to be the best next gen game, Gears of War, and there is not a lot of difference technically, once you get beyond polygon count and textures. The gameplay could be handled by everything out now, down to the Dreamcast. The controls leave something to be desired. When you run straight at a wall and not go into cover 80% of the time, you have to wonder about claims of the hardware superiority.

The claims out now, are that the 360/PS3 will lead to better gameplay. No, it's just better draw distance, more polygons, better music and sound. But then again, there was the part in the 2nd act where you have to stay in the light. Your teammate consistently walks unintentionally into the darkness, nor responds to it. It feels like a sham. Maybe it's just a game that was overhyped. But I don't see how games are PLAYED differently on the 360/PS3. Online was the last big shift in gameplay for consoles before waggle. Nothing else in the 360/PS3 looks like a big leap in gameplay.

I guess my biggest problem is that we are paying all this money for the same games. Companies are forcing crap down are throat for the same experience. Maybe it's because Nintendo placed a cheaper, more manageable option. But I end up feeling cheated. Ripped off. I'm going through Gears, d/l Rainbow Six Vegas demo, and I feel not totally satisfied. I think with these increased prices, expectations are higher and I'm not sure if the 360/PS3 can meet them.

Does anybody else get that feeling? Of course, I haven't played many of the 360/PS3 games but from what I have played, it's lacking. I think the price weighs heavily on my head. Props to others that don't feel that. And GTA better be good. If Wii games ramp up, GOW and GTA might be the only HD games I buy all gen.

diddlyD

Banned
Terrell said:
If Square Enix is expecting less than normal sales, why would they make a game that looks to have the largest budget of any FF game EVER? That's like me walking towards a visible cliffside, only to stop walking and prepare to gas up my motorbike to DRIVE towards it.

And, Terrell, here is an analogy. It might be handy if you, the master of analogizing, take it with you.

Eteric Rice

skinnyrattler said:
People keep saying that and repeating that the boost in power enables better physics and animation, etc. But then again, I'm running through, what many consider to be the best next gen game, Gears of War, and there is not a lot of difference technically, once you get beyond polygon count and textures. The gameplay could be handled by everything out now, down to the Dreamcast. The controls leave something to be desired. When you run straight at a wall and not go into cover 80% of the time, you have to wonder about claims of the hardware superiority.

The claims out now, are that the 360/PS3 will lead to better gameplay. No, it's just better draw distance, more polygons, better music and sound. But then again, there was the part in the 2nd act where you have to stay in the light. Your teammate consistently walks unintentionally into the darkness, nor responds to it. It feels like a sham. Maybe it's just a game that was overhyped. But I don't see how games are PLAYED differently on the 360/PS3. Online was the last big shift in gameplay for consoles before waggle. Nothing else in the 360/PS3 looks like a big leap in gameplay.

I guess my biggest problem is that we are paying all this money for the same games. Companies are forcing crap down are throat for the same experience. Maybe it's because Nintendo placed a cheaper, more manageable option. But I end up feeling cheated. Ripped off. I'm going through Gears, d/l Rainbow Six Vegas demo, and I feel not totally satisfied. I think with these increased prices, expectations are higher and I'm not sure if the 360/PS3 can meet them.

Does anybody else get that feeling? Of course, I haven't played many of the 360/PS3 games but from what I have played, it's lacking. I think the price weighs heavily on my head. Props to others that don't feel that. And GTA better be good. If Wii games ramp up, GOW and GTA might be the only HD games I buy all gen.

I've noticed the same. Most games out now, and most future games could be done on older hardware. It wouldn't be as pretty, but it could definately be done.

The one game I've seen that really kind of pushes it is maybe Dead Rising. And that's only because of the **** ton of zombies on screen at one time.

Top Bottom