• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well, GAF, I seem to have gone insane (AKA Playing through the entire Sonic series)

Boogiepop

Well, GAF, after my run ins with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes, I've decided to go all in. Though I already had plans to go through the legendarily crappy 06 in order to compare it to the above atrocities, I've decided what the hell, I may as well just go through the entire series at this point.

To clarify, I mean I want to have beaten every game in the Sonic series. Some I've beaten way back (the main Genesis games, the Rush games) and probably won't replay for this thread unless I happen to just feel like it at a later date, some I've played but never really finished (didn't really properly beat Advance 3, I'm pretty sure) and plan to play here, and some I've yet to even touch. For the purpose of this thread, "beating" a sonic game will be defined as seeing the "proper" final ending/boss. Thus, just getting to the credits won't be enough, but I'm not going to force myself to get all the trophies from Sonic 06 or anything like that. Also, remakes/multiplatform versions will not counts here as different games (IE Sonic Adventure vs DX, Sonic 06 360 vs PS3), but ones that are obviously different games will (IE Sonic Colors DS vs Wii). Oh, and at least for now, Sonic Pocket Adventure and Knuckle's Chaotix are off the table, simply because they'd require me to buy obscure systems specifically to play them.

Below I guess I'll just give a quick recap on the games in the series I currently possess, what systems they're for, and their status (beaten or not) so I can jot down where I am.

Sonic 1 (Genesis, Mega Collection+ PS2)-Beaten
Sonic 2 (Genesis, Mega Collection+ PS2)- Kind of beaten. I think I got to the Death Egg final boss normally, but have only beaten it in the weird Gem's collection demo. I'll probably go back for this one at some point.
Sonic 3+Knuckles (Genesis, Mega Collection+ PS2)-Beaten+Beaten as Sonic 3 separated. Though I'm not sure I've ever beaten vanilla Knuckles, so I guess that's on the list of things to do.
Sonic CD (Gems Collection GC)- Beaten, but not properly as I never messed with the time travel and whatnot. So this is definitely on the list.
Sonic Adventure (Not owned)- Beat perfect Chaos on a rental of the DX version back in the day, but it's been a while so maybe I'll pick this one back up at some point.
Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle, GC)- Beaten a number of times. But it's been a while and I'm curious as to how the game holds up nowadays, so I may revisit it.
Sonic Heroes (GC)- Beaten
Shadow the Hedgehog (GC)- Beaten
Sonic 06 (Not owned)- Probably going to pick up the PS3 version at some point this summer. This one definitely has high priority.
Sonic Unleashed (Not owned)- Plan to grab the Wii and PS3 versions at some point.
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Not owned)- Definitely going to grab this at some point, as I'm pretty curious.
Sonic and the Black Knight (Not owned)-Plan to pick up.
Sonic Colors (Wii)- Beaten, may be my favorite game in the series. Super good.
Sonic Generations (PS3)- Beaten, a great follow up to Colors, and gives me hope the series is back on track.

Sonic Advance (GBA)- Beaten, but I don't think I ever got all the emeralds, so this is on my list.
Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)- Beaten properly. May revisit if I'm going back for the other Advances anyway.
Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)- Beaten, but still need to go back for the proper ending I think.
Sonic Rush (DS)- Beaten.
Sonic Rush Adventure (DS)- Beaten.
Sonic Colors (DS)- Own, but still need to play.
Sonic Generations (3DS, not owned)- Will pick up eventually.

Sonic 4 (Not Owned)- I guess I'll pick up both episodes of this at some point. Probably not super high priority right now, though.
Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis, Mega Collection+ PS2)- Funny thing, I actually almost beat the game but had to turn it off to go to my grandparents' house at... I think the lava zone boss. I also once stumbled into the level select somehow on my Nomad, but the piece of crap randomly shut down half way through the final boss. Damn lack of a save feature. I have unfinished business with this one, so it's fairly high priority.
The Game Gear games (Gems Collection GC and Mega Collection+)- I've only beaten Triple Trouble out of these. Definitely plan to do the platformers from here, as well as Labyrinth. Tails Adventure is actually going to be my first game for this, as I just picked up the most recent trade for Sonic Universe, which is apparently based on the game. Oh, and freaking Sonic 2 is high on my list, because I'm actually kind of angry at that damn game. Never made it past the stupid first boss, but I am NOT going to let the game beat me!
Rivals 1 and 2 (Not Owned)- I... actually forgot these games existed. I guess they're on my list.
The iOS games (Not Owned)- I'm not sure. Are these beatable? Will look into these, I guess.
Battle (GBA)- Beaten.
Sonic Chronicles (DS)- Beaten. And it was also a freaking terrible game. Just... yuck. I feel like I did a write-up once on GAF. I guess I'll see if I can dig it up later, but no way I'm going back to this... thing.

I don't think the rest count as beatable games, but for what it's worth I've "beaten" R (got to the Super Sonic Racing level) and Fighters (finished the "campaign"). Oh, and I got all the stars in Racing Transformed, which was hard as hell but super fun. I am also definitely not "beating" the Drift games, because I find Drift 2 pretty much unplayable (haven't tried 2).

For what it's worth, I have a Genesis, Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PS3, WiiU, GBA, DS, PSP, and 3DS in terms of consoles with Sonic games. I don't have a super great budget, so games that require purchase may also take a little longer to get to.

For now these are just going to be L/RTTP style posts, with the current plan of me playing at least a half hour a day. I may look in to doing a LP at least for 06 when I get around to it if anybody has a suggestion for cheap/easy to use gear (never done one before so it may be horrible, but since I plan on dragging in friends for that one it may at least be worth a try).

If anyone wants to join along with the games I'm playing or just drop a comment of course feel free.

And thus begins my descent into madness.

well it'll start off great, you'll play the legendary S3+K which is always nice, then once you get to SA1 it's sort of all up in the air. SA1 and 2 both received good reviews for good reasons originally, but you sort of have to understand they're quite old now, so your mileage may vary. Heroes is the start of a slippery slope(one thing of note here is how good the classic art style looks) and then it's a trip through the inferno. Shadow and 06 will almost kill you and the were-hog should never have existed in anything other than the wildest acid trip Hashimoto ever had (he now works at Square enix, so good luck FF fans).

Black knight will make you cringe so hard you'll ache in places you didn't know you had, Thank god for Colours and Generations. Also, Dat lost world.

Boogiepop

Why is Colors your favorite in the series?

I also played it as well. It may be the best 3d sonic.

Honestly it's probably pretty close between Colors and 1-3+K, and I'm sure which one I pick as my favorite may change pretty often. But for now, despite some flaws (most of the bosses, a few kind of bleh levels like the one that's just a ring around a planet), it's a super fun game with plenty to do. I guess what puts it over the top is that it somehow managed a fantastic water level in a Sonic game (thank you drill!) and that its final boss may just be my favorite boss in the series (it's shocking how good that boss is, especially seeing how almost all the 3D Sonic bosses are just... awful).

Anyway, started up Tails Adventures. It seems okay so far, with some nice little collectables and a relaxed pace. Got up through the first sub section. Have to say it's a little weird how the environmental hazards do SO much more damage than the enemies. Also, the flying is surprisingly a little annoying, with a jump leaving you with a bit too much of a downswing, and with enemies swatting you WAY down if they manage to hit you while you're in the air.

Also... was that Bean the Dynamite as the "boss" for the mountain stage? Is this the game he's from? Huh.

Boogiepop

Played a bit more Tails Adventure. I still have some odds and ends missing, but now I only need one more Chaos emerald, and to find the way into the last two stages visible, the one in the lower right and the one to the left of the mountain stage. Also, I have no idea what breaks the wall for the first visible pick up in the mountain stage. Maybe the hammer? I haven't found any use for that yet. Hm.

Boogiepop

And I've finished Tails Adventures. What a weird little game. It's not terrible, though they really should've thrown some kind of indication on the map to show what levels still have items in them (I'm thinking something like what Wario Land does), even if there is the crappy little item radar thing. Oh, and it would've been REALLY nice to have a Zelda style item select instead of being forced to just bring 4 items and hope you didn't screw up.

All in all, feels like a bit of a shame this game was left as a one off. As is it's just a so-so little game, but I think if Sega bothered polishing the formula they could've had a pretty cool little side series. Oh well.

(Also, since this thread doesn't seem to be working out too well, I guess I'll let it die and just go back to normal L/RTTP threads for whatever else I play. I thought this would be better so I don't spam too many of those, but if this is just going to be me talking to myself there's probably no point in keeping it alive.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nah, keep going! I just found the thread, and I wanna hear your impressions on the rest of the GG games. Had a bunch of them as a kid (even Labyrinth...), loved and hated them.

Top Bottom