• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Mr. X

Answers within quote
Now, questions for clarification:

1) Stage 1 and 2 basically don't matter aside from the fact that they are stepping stones, right?

Answer: Stage 1 is specifically the jump in starter. If you don't do a jump in, your ground chain is Stage 2. Mike is currently testing if your jump in has an airdash or fly after the hit like if Filia starts her combo with jHP jHK airdash jHPjHK, then you go up a stage.

2) Why can't I just loop this 3 times in the Parasoul combo to start out with; I just tried it, and it breaks on loop 3 - but why, if IPS didn't start keeping track of my inputs until stage 3?
sLP sLP sMK sMK sHP sHP xx L Napalm Shot

Answer: Because Stage 1 is your jump in, your ground chain will be Stage 2 so you can do it twice, third time will trigger IPS burst

Stage 1 (no watching) This would be you jump in or air hit.
Stage 2 (no watching) sLP sLP sMK sMK sHP sHP xx L Shot
Stage 3 (start watching) sLP sLP sMK sMK sHP sHP xx L Shot
Stage 4 (watched) would be the air chain, but you didn't launch so skipped
Stage 5 sLP start which you used in 3 gets you IPS burst

3) Given this combo:

Why would using s.MK or c.HP cause IPS? I thought it was all about what you started chains with, and we haven't started any chains with MK or HP in the above example.

Answer: The rule of thumb is "If you use it in a watched section at all, you are locked out from starting with it."

4) How do specials affect the IPS? For example, compare these two Painwheel combos:
c.LK, c.MK, s.HP (fly)
j.LK, c.MK, c.HP (fly)
j.HP, s.LP, s.MP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
c.LK, s.HK

c.LK, c.MK, s.HP (fly)
j.LK, c.MK, c.HP, qcf.LP
s.LP, s.MP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
c.LK, s.HK

How are my combo options different after s.HK in both of these examples?

Answer: I'm not a Painwheel player, I'm not sure how flight, air attack into ground string works in IPS.

5) Flight causes a stage change now. So let's look at this Painwheel combo:
s.LP, s.MP
j.MK (fly)
j.MK
s.LP, s.MP

Do I have that right? Have I put myself in stage 4 already because I fly-canceled the j.MK? I know that if I do j.MK, fly, j.MK at IPS 5, the combo breaks immediately, so I'm inclined to think so.

Answer: Yes I believe so and it doesn't trigger the IPS when you do it that early correct?

6) If flight causes stage changes, then when I do a Painwheel combo, are the stages happening like this:
c.LK, c.MK, s.HP (fly)
j.LK
c.MK, c.HP

Or like this:
c. LK, c.MK, s.HP (fly)
j.LK, c.MK, c.HP

It seems like it's the first one, but that seems awfully stringent for just a j.LK.

Answer: I'm not a Painwheel player, I don't know how IPS treats it and I suck at combos on keyboard. Sorry. Visit the IRC #skullgirls on mizuumi.net and ask there.

7) If aerials and ground attacks are counted separately, then what about (still Painwheel):
j.HP, c.LK, c.MK, s.HP

Is that 2 stages, or 1, since I started with j.HP?

Answer: jHP = Stage 1, the rest is Stage 2

8) What about undizzy?

Answer: The stun that counts toward undizzy doesn't begin until Stage 5. Each strength has a set value, specials have a set value, supers don't. I don't remember the values or the # undizzy is set to. The burst is the same as IPS burst, except you see a green spark. Undizzy won't trigger in the middle of a chain, only at the start of one.

So let's say the sHP in stLK LK stMK MK stHP stHP x L Napalm Shot is when you officially pass the undizzy limit, your opponent won't get to burst. If you link something after the L Napalm Shot, then they get the Undizzy burst.

Full undizzy stun drains in 60f but not while they are in hitstun or blockstun.

Knockdowns you can tech (like sweeps) will reset undizzy back to 0. If you do sliding knockdowns that didn't use your OTG or crumples (meaning they can't tech and forced to rise in place), they don't put undizzy to 0.

I'm thinking that once I understand the system, I might write a guide for new players to understand the IPS system better. Spread the love, and all that.

Mr. X

To add to this I cannot configure MK to 5 on numpad. I can configure 789 to the three punches and I can configure 4 and 6 but not 5. I also cannot configure directions to WASD.

I am going to look online for this, it should not be this hard to figure out.

And yea my settings have changed after completing matches/changing modes. I don't know the exact issues going on here but trying to play this on keyboard with anything except the default keys is really problematic. Us PC gamers who are used to WASD for movement are really struggling.

You need to set P2 keys to something else. P2 Keyboard default includes W and can't overlap.

P2 default keys are 123 = punches qwe = kicks ijkl = directions

Mr. X

Sorry triple post

j.LK causes more hitstun than j.LP, however, but yes.

You can fly, hold 6 for a few frames post-fly, and then hit j.LK. You'll hit lower to the ground (Giving you more relative frame advantage upon landing), and land closer to the opponent in some cases, allowing you to land certain moves like s.HK universally, and medium normals more easily.

You just need to hold the direction to get the momentum, not actually fly *pause* do a button.

Dahbomb

You need to set P2 keys to something else. P2 Keyboard default includes W and can't overlap.

P2 default keys are 123 = punches qwe = kicks ijkl = directions
I tried setting 2P keyboard to something else and it didn't work either.

And I am Dahbomb on Steam. If there are more than one, pick the one with the Vergil avatar.

Tecl0n

I barely picked this game so going online was a sure suicide, but i've encountered 3 solo Peacocks that just woundn't let me even get near..

What is the input for taunting?

Do all the characters have the same amount of health? How much?

I barely picked this game so going online was a sure suicide, but i've encountered 3 solo Peacocks that just woundn't let me even get near..
Praise the heavens that they weren't Peacock/Double teams.

Dahbomb

After this Parasoul combo sequence:

j.HP, cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP, j.MP, j.HP, j.HK (stand), st.LK, st.LK, st.M, cr.HP

What do I do after this? If I do j.MP again it triggers the IPS. How do I get them to Stand again? My finisher is supposed to be st.LKx2, st.M, st.Hx2 into Fireball into Super.

Yeah, all characters have the same health.
Thank you.

What do I do after this? If I do j.MP again it triggers the IPS. How do I get them to Stand again? My finisher is supposed to be st.LKx2, st.M, st.Hx2 into Fireball into Super.

Here's the Parasoul combo SolarPowered gave to me:
s.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
s.MP, s.HP, s.HP, Tear Shot L
s.LP, s.MP, b.HK, Solder L
j.LP, j.MK, j.HP
s.LK, s.MK, s.HP, s.HP, Tear Shot M, super

Maybe that will give you some ideas.

There's also this sequence:
s.LK, s.LK, s.MK, s.MK, s.HP, s.HP, Tear Shot L

If you relaunch you can just do j.LP, j.HP, j.HK. The timing is strict, but it works. I'm not sure what her other aerial series are, but I know she has them.

Dahbomb

Fuck man that combo is way too hard for me right now.

But that's what I was looking for. I am just going to do this combo for now:

j.HP, cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK (stand)
st.LK, st.LK, st.M, cr.HP
j.LP, j.MK, j.HP
s.LK, s.MK, s.HP, s.HP, Tear Shot M, super

If I can that is...

@SolarPowered: When I do Parasoul's aerial series, it's really hard to make j.MP, j.HP, j.HK hit in the same way each time. j.HK sometimes hits 2 times, sometimes 4, etc. It really messes up my follow-up timing. Do you have any advice there?
That might mean that you jumping after your opponent fast enough for the j.mp, j.hp and j.hk. I've had that problem too and it makes it hard to hit confirm with a something like st.mp or st.mk on the ground. The best you can do is practice your combos to make sure that you are close to your opponent in the air before you smack them down with j.hp.
Fuck man this IPS gets more and more confusing every day.
It only gets confusing if you start thinking about super long combos without breaking them into sections first.
I mean I do get some gist of it but when exceptions start coming in it becomes muddier.

I am just not going to repeat starters in between "stages" to keep it simple. Not like I can even begin to do fancy combos on a keyboard.

Overall I really like the game and hope to spend more time with it when I have some free time. Stuff I liked about it:

*Tutorial was great, this is the BARE MINIMUM I expect from fighting games going forward.
*Training mode is pretty solid from what I have seen
*All the characters are very unique and differ from each other greatly.
*Artstyle is great and very nice in person.
*Game performs very well on PC even low/mid level hardware.
*Combos are not that hard to do (at least the standard ones, no weird 1-2 frame links required for simple BnBs)
*Assist system is great, this should be a standard for VS games going forward. I will take a massive dump on MVC4 if it doesn't have custom assists.
*No crazy inputs required for doing moves, everything is very standard FG stuff

Stuff I didn't like:

*Very few characters
*Game is a bit keyboard unfriendly when it comes to configuring your set ups. Game is clearly made with controller/stick in mind.
*I think the Lobby issue will be fixed but right now this is a problem for the game and should be fixed asap.
*This might be just my game but the Tutorial for Squigly is bugged, I can't progress in it.
The good news is that the game isn't even maxed out yet. Ravidrath mentioned that they have yet to release the high res sprite pack. Oh, and five new characters adds a ton to a game with only 8 currently.
Oh that was you? Haha, gg. I was trying to play Dahbomb.

I'm glad to play sometime if you want practice. My Peacock is garbage compared to SolarPowered's, though.
My Peacock is also garbage compared to the ones in Skullheart's IRC. I just look good because I've done her day one BnB over 9000 times and I'm good at grab resets which leads to her Goodfellas level 3. A real Peacock is swag incarnate.
Skullgirls hit RPS this afternoon: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/03/skullgirls-pc-somehow-actually-happening/

I'm always impressed by RPS's ability to do enough research to actually write a relevant article.
Short and sweet is best sometimes.
What is the input for taunting?

Do all the characters have the same amount of health? How much?
Solos have the most, duos have the second most health per character and trios have the least per character. Obviously a matching number of characters on each side means you are both on an even playing field.

It used to be this in the OP, but it changed. You can see the data in training mode. I think it is pretty simple. Don't let solos touch you if you are playing a trio and vice versa. A standard 1v1 is Guilty Gear/Vsav with equal health.

Parasoul's go-to restand is c.lk, c.mk, 2xst.hp, lp tear shot which can be followed up with any standing or crouching normal so long as you pay attention to the IPS. If you want to restand more easily later on in your combo you have to use your crouching light kicks much less, dude. Also, light attacks scale your combo damage fast and no one wants that.

Feel free to replace these sections with singular medium attacks like standing medium punch or kick. Also, I'll give you a tip. After stunning someone with a light punch tear shot you can follow up with st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, j.lk, j.mk, j.hp. The j.hp restands your tear stunned opponent and can be followed up much more easily than j.hk imo. It also looks cool as fuck.

See for more combos:
Try these Parasoul combos:
st.lk, cr.mk, cr.hp, j.mp, j.hp, j.hk, st.mp, 2xHP, lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, RC soldier, j.lp, j.mk, j.hp, st.lk, st.mk, 2xHP, mp tear shot, any super

grab, cr.mk, cr.hp, j.mp, j.hp, j.hk, st.mk, 2xHP, lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, RC soldier, j.lp, j.mk, j.hp, st.lk, st.mk, 2xHP, mp tear shot, any super

b.grab, RC soldier, dash, cr.mk, cr.hp, j.mp, j.hp, j.hk, st.mk, 2xHP, lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, RC soldier, j.lp, j.mk, j. Spiral Flare, st.lk, st.mk, 2xHP, mp tear shot, any super

The first combo should work anywhere and gets decent damage off a light starter. The second one is mostly a corner grab reset combo... a very painful one if you have meter for a level 3 or DHCs. The third works anywhere as well and gives you very very nice mixup potential right after spiral flare(instead of chaining into super). Honestly, if you can get the followups in bold when bringing an opponent down to the ground you can get much better damage than newb Parasouls. I was strictly relying on tear links before and Disco was telling me that my damage was way too low. Feel free to experiment with overhead and lockdown assists instead of using meter at the end. Her mixups are actually strong there if you toss some tears on the downed body.

Fun fact about me: I think my rinky dink cr.lk/cr.mk mixups are actually more powerful than the f.lp and b.hk mixups which makes no goddamn sense since those are actual mixup moves lol. Keep that in mind when you are tossing out standing light kicks at any point in time. Opponents will actually fall for this. I don't understand how or why.

Linking off of the Tear Shot L is nigh impossible for me. I get it like 30% of the time even when I just mash s.LP.

Now that I understand IPS, I am going to design my Painwheel bnb...

Is it like linking a cr.M after Wesker gun shot? Or linking a cr.L after it?
They're the easiest links I've done. You can literally dash after the light tear shot and still connect a standing light kick or punch (when you know your b.hk isn't going to reach).

Oh, and you can also follow up this sequence (lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk) with j.lk, j.mk, j.hp instead of j.lp, j.mk, j.Spiral Flare that I showed earlier. That is just some extra swag I like to throw in.
I just downloaded an update for the beta. Where can I see the changelog?
steam library->community hub->announcements

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/1985245434221099013

The New Meridian rooftop stage looks perfect now in 3D. The movement of the blimps and pigeons is smooth as butter. Also, the dude on the right side of the stage reminds me of a hungry fellow in certain Courage the cowardly dog episode involving hamburgers.

I just got the PC version. I had a little trouble at first due to some sloppy controller settings on my part, but now I'm set up just the way I like it.

Now I play the waiting game until lobbies come out.

What should I be aiming for with Painwheel for a meterless bnb?

I think that without meter, you should be aiming for 5.5 - 6k.

I've been using c.LP, c.LK, c.MK, st.HP, LK Buer Reaper, fly, forward j.LK, c.MP, st.HP, LK Buer Reaper, fly, forward j.LP, st. LP, c. MP, st. HP, LP Gae Bolga Stinger, dash, st. HK, j.MP, j.HP, Air LK Buer Reaper. It works on most members of the cast as is, since the Buer Reapers draw you close.

My Painwheel Combo (6.5k Meterless / 7.6k 1 meter)

crLK crMK HP QCF+LK -> Fly
6jLK
crMK crHP -> Fly
9jHK
HK
jHP jHK
crMP HK
jMP Fly
9jLK jMP (2 hits) jHK
crLP crLK crMK HP QCF+LK -> (Optional Deathcrawl)

There ya go, Karst.

The main thing it did was add Arcade mode.

I played it and beat Arcade mode on first try on Hard. Will try on the hardest setting tomorrow.
It also buffed Painwheel more. :)

I just got the PC version. I had a little trouble at first due to some sloppy controller settings on my part, but now I'm set up just the way I like it.

Now I play the waiting game until lobbies come out.

I think that without meter, you should be aiming for 5.5 - 6k.

I've been using c.LP, c.LK, c.MK, st.HP, LK Buer Reaper, fly, forward j.LK, c.MP, st.HP, LK Buer Reaper, fly, forward j.LP, st. LP, c. MP, st. HP, LP Gae Bolga Stinger, dash, st. HK, j.MP, j.HP, Air LK Buer Reaper. It works on most members of the cast as is, since the Buer Reapers draw you close.
Is that c.MP supposed to be a MK near the start?

My Painwheel Combo (6.5k Meterless / 7.6k 1 meter)

crLK crMK HP QCF+LK -> Fly
6jLK
crMK crHP -> Fly
9jHK
HK
jHP jHK
crMP HK
jMP Fly
9jLK jMP (2 hits) jHK
crLP crLK crMK HP QCF+LK -> (Optional Deathcrawl)

There ya go, Karst.
Thank you!

Is that c.MP supposed to be a MK near the start?

No, that's c.MP. I had trouble linking 6jLK to crMK for the second part of the combo when I was starting out, so I just switched it with c.MP because it's easier to hit-confirm. My combo is much, much lazier than DiscoShark's overall, so you might want to stick with what Disco posted.

I just did a Buer link. I am the best.

I still need a peacock bnb.

This is what I came up with for Parasoul:
c.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
s.LP, s.MP, s.HP, s.HP, Tear L
s.LK, s.MK, s.HP, s.HP, Tear L

Any thoughts on easy ways to make that longer?

Also, I saw a guy at locals DHC from Parasoul to Painwheel via some combination of a Tear, Sniper Shot, and Deathcrawl which let Painwheel continue the combo. Does anyone know it by chance?

This is sexy.
http://youtu.be/adpNlKNX9Gs

TheOGB

Banned
Got a nice 5k (a little more if I manage to do the restand; gotta keep remembering to do a j.HP instead of a kick) 1 meter Squigly combo just about down. Somewhere along the line I forgot punches existed until the very end. :p

Welp found a decent 1 meter 6.5k into reset with squiggly I think I'm gonna take a break now x.x/

Here is one with her super grab

super grab, c.mp, s.hk, j.lp, j.mk, j.hk, hk stinger, c.mk, s.hk, j.lp, j.mk, j.hk, s.lp, s.mp, s.hp x2, get over here, s.lk, s.mp, s.hp x2, qcf lk

You recover before they do after this so set up a high low or comand grab

if you want to extend it for a more garuented mix up, do qcf hp instead of lk into her lk +mk super

have fun :3
This is my next target.

c.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK

Also, I saw a guy at locals DHC from Parasoul to Painwheel via some combination of a Tear, Sniper Shot, and Deathcrawl which let Painwheel continue the combo. Does anyone know it by chance?
You can start by doing st.mp, 2xst.hp, Tear L, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, j.lk, j.mk, j.hp, st.mk, 2xst.hp, Tear (any will do) after the move in bold.

Your combo:
4837 solo vs solo & duo vs duo
7744 solo vs duo & solo vs trio
6295 duo vs solo & trio vs trio
4957 trio vs duo

Mine:
5657 solo vs solo & duo vs duo
9055 solo vs duo & solo vs trio
7360 duo vs solo
5645 trio vs duo
7360 trio vs trio

solo vs solo - 14300
duo vs duo - 14300
trio vs trio - 16445
solo vs duo - 30030 vs 16445 (vice versa)
solo vs trio - 30030 vs 14300 (vice versa)
duo vs trio - 16445 vs 14300 (vice versa)

Bold for teams Parasoul was on so you can get a feel for how much it actually hurts point characters on teams. I think the extra damage is significant enough to warrant the extra bit of work. I was doing the same combos as you for a year and it was definitely a ball and chain strapped to my leg. The bit about Painwheel may involve Tear M or one of the tear drops. I doubt it was Tear L or H.

Day one Peacock's BnB works like this...

st.lp, st.mp, st.mk, j.lp, j.lk, j.mp, airdash, j.lp, j.mp, st.mp, st.hp, qcf.hp(3x)

solo vs solo damage: 3591

Look at dat shitty unoptimized damage. Peacock let's you get away with being lazy.

http://imgur.com/a/sylbR#0

Accidentally deleted the pic of me and Lauren holding the shirt. I might retake it

edit: Nevermind, image was there, but had a different time-stamp since I had to rotate it

tAauzpP.jpg

Krackatoa

What? We're dropping PW BnBs in the thread now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D75PIyNkKMM

cr.LK,cr.MK,s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Fly >
6j.LK >
cr.MK,s.HP xx LP.Stinger > Dash Forward >
s.HK >
j.MP(3),j.HP xx Fly >
9j.MK,j.HP(3),j.HK >
cr.LK,s.MK,f.HK(x4) xx OTG Late LK.Buer xx Fly >
9j.LP,j.LK >
s.LP,s.LK~
~cr.MP,f.HK(x4) xx HK.Buer for 7.4k Meterless damage and better frame advantage.
~s.MK,s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Death Crawl for 1 Meter and about 1k extra Damage.

El Sloth

Banned
www.twitch.tv/Duckator

^Probably all his fault. I feel bad everytime someone plays him without a "get off me" assist.

Edit: Lol the last dude was refusing to block on wakeup.

Wow there sure are a lot of people playing solo characters on PC.

Hahahahahahaha, holy shit. Duckator is such a bully.

alstein

Is anyone getting an issue with starting the game right now due to syncing issues?

Just checking Steam community hub, seems like a few people are having similar problem- guessing someone broke it over there at Lab Zero.

Nabs

Is anyone getting an issue with starting the game right now due to syncing issues?

Just checking Steam community hub, seems like a few people are having similar problem- guessing someone broke it over there at Lab Zero.

Have you tried restarting Steam or verifying cache?

Mr. X

c.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK

This is sexy.
http://youtu.be/adpNlKNX9Gs
Parasoul to Painwheel DHC you're talking about is ... HP HP xx M NaShot xx Sniper Shot DHC Deathcrawl [tear explodes] ...

alstein

Have you tried restarting Steam or verifying cache?

Did both of those, and then tried a reinstall thinking it was possibly a corrupt patch. No dice. Others having the issue I have- it could be a number of things, but most likely on their end.

[Edit: no need now]

Edit: it's not everyone crashing: checked with another person who has it on here and it runs fine for her.

Edit #2: deleting savedata solved the problem. SO there is an issue, but it's fixable.

Suggest on next patch- force dumping those save files.

Almost forgot. Any have a link to the Skullgirls IRC chat that was used on the Skullheart forum? I was hoping to show them the pics as well

Mr. X

If you're having trouble with the Skullgirls Beta launching after the latest update and restarting Steam, reinstalling the game and/or restarting your computer didn't work, delete/move the Skullgirls folder out of your "My Documents".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh man oh man, squiggly get's so much damage off cancels :lol I love this character

Daisy Pusher, s.HP x2, Seria Cancel
s.MP, s.HPx2, Silver Chord
Daisy Pusher s.HK
j.LP, j.MK, j.HK, Fallen Woman H
c.MK, s.HK
j.LK, j.MK, j.HK
s.LP, s.MP, s.HP x2, Seria Cancel
s.LK, s.MP, s.HP x2, Dragon Bite

Enjoy damage

Top Bottom