• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Dahbomb

How do I check my debug logs? And what's their email?

I want to learn Parasoul now, any good combos with her?
My easy mode Parasoul combo is:

Cr. LK, cr. MK, cr. HP
J.MP, j.HP, j.HK
St.MP, st.HP, L Napalm Shot
st. LK, st.MK, st.HK, super

People will probably scoff at it and I don't give a shit because its reliable, easy and still does around 30-40% combo with super. No Roman cancel, Napalm trap, no jump loops etc.

Also a few things:

*Lobby is still kinda buggy when its more than 2 people. The timer gets stuck at 00 frequently and we are forced to restart the lobby or play 1v1.

*Squigly 70% combo is cheap. Bring down the character to pixel health, she mashes her extremely long range grab hyper into 70%+ combo. LabZero nerf plz. Also quite a few of her ALTs are not colored in.

*Maple stage is bugged as hell. I thought it was Karst's PC but it turns out that stage just lags for everyone. I would play some who has 73 ping but if that stage is picked the character just flies around teleporting and shit.

*Double's "mix up" bus hyper is stupid as hell.

Cr. LK, cr. MK, cr. HP
J.MP, j.HP, j.HK
St.L, st. LK, st.MK, st.HK, super

People will probably scoff at it and I don't give a shit because its reliable, easy and still does around 30-40% combo with super. No Roman cancel, Napalm trap, no jump loops etc.

I don't mind this at all, as long as that combo does a decent damage, then its good enough for me.

These past few hours I've been bombarded with so many Skullgirls Beta codes that I remembered I still had my buddy code from the Indiegogo

Skullgirls Steam Temporary Beta Code (Expires August 22nd): 3YWKH-688BV-IB2EP

Everyone posting is probably ready to go but hopefully a lurker interested in the game gives it a shot. Big props for the team being so receptive to feedback and for having a beta in the first place. If only all fighting game devs took these steps in releasing and supporting their game.

TheOGB

Banned
I gotta say, playing online has made me really good against Arcade mode on Nightmare :p
except, of course, Marie. Fuck Marie. Fuck those skulls. All those skulls oh god so many D:

I hope this guy gets back to me so we can have this match (and I hopefully move on to get bodied by WeatherBee)

Cr. LK, cr. MK, cr. HP
J.MP, j.HP, j.HK
st. LK, st.MK, st.HK, super

Also a few things:

*Lobby is still kinda buggy when its more than 2 people. The timer gets stuck at 00 frequently and we are forced to restart the lobby or play 1v1.

*Squigly 70% combo is cheap. Bring down the character to pixel health, she mashes her extremely long range grab hyper into 70%+ combo. LabZero nerf plz. Also quite a few of her ALTs are not colored in.

*Maple stage is bugged as hell. I thought it was Karst's PC but it turns out that stage just lags for everyone. I would play some who has 73 ping but if that stage is picked the character just flies around teleporting and shit.

*Double's "mix up" bus hyper is stupid as hell.
Agreed on Squigly, but Double's car is not a mixup. You can see dirt trails during the flash screen to tell you which way it is going. If you miss them, hold forward first anyway, since you can block the forward one on reaction.

Krackatoa

Squigly's Grab Super isn't a mixup. You can simply react and reversal super/fly/DP/jump.

Level 2 Sing into Grab Super is a mixup, but she needs to have her QCF+P stance charged and stocked.

Dahbomb

What the fuck at the dirt trail tip... I need to see this in action in training mode. I have lost games because that stupid bus hyper.

GGs to all I played, everyone is so good or at least on point with their combos. Need to step up in that department dramatically. Also going to start using a secondary just for a lockdown assist.

Also today I learned that Parasoul has the slowest fastest normal in the game at 7 frame. Damn I really need to stop pressing buttons when someone is on me.

Nyoro SF

OK I just did it about 20 more times in training mode... and yeah, it is VERY hard to see, it's almost obscured by "Peacock's" hat as she pulls it down. But it's there alright. Seeing this in the heat of moment, I would estimate about a 10% success rate lol

Question: Is it worth it to start training in the PS3 version of the game, or should I just wait for the patch to arrive? I can't play the demo as my laptop would burst into flames if I tried to run the game.

I finally broke free of my Dead Nation addiction, so I thought I'd start playing SG (somewhat) seriously.

Question: Is it worth it to start training in the PS3 version of the game, or should I just wait for the patch to arrive? I can't play the demo as my laptop would burst into flames if I tried to run the game.

I finally broke free of my Dead Nation addiction, so I thought I'd start playing SG (somewhat) seriously.

Are you sure your laptop can't handle the game? The game is very light.

Kioshen

What the fuck at the dirt trail tip... I need to see this in action in training mode. I have lost games because that stupid bus hyper.

OK I just did it about 20 more times in training mode... and yeah, it is VERY hard to see, it's almost obscured by "Peacock's" hat as she pulls it down. But it's there alright. Seeing this in the heat of moment, I would estimate about a 10% success rate lol

I don't think you guys are looking at the right thing. Here ya go I've made pretty screenshots ! This is what you need to pay attention:

In the first screen the bionic car is coming from the left ... the second is coming from the right.

MpEp1YI.jpg

KF73kgn.jpg

Don't make me pull out mspaint and put fat red circles around the big white dust cloud ;).

GGs to all I played, everyone is so good or at least on point with their combos. Need to step up in that department dramatically. Also going to start using a secondary just for a lockdown assist.

Also today I learned that Parasoul has the slowest fastest normal in the game at 7 frame. Damn I really need to stop pressing buttons when someone is on me.
The thing to do with Parasoul on the defensive is wait until you pushblock a low, keep holding down, and then Napalm Pillar if they go back in.

Dahbomb

I don't go for Pillar unless I have meter. Besides that's not something you can rely on all the time, its better to learn real defense... better in the long run.

Someone told me Parasoul has faster pre jump animation so she is better at up backing. That seems to work well and in the air all you need to look for is a throw. Especially useful against Valentine who are going for grabs all day long.

Dahbomb

AFAIK you can jump Squigly's grab super post super flash.

Edit: Yep.
I already know that, the problem is the hyper has insane range and leads into a full combo while being invincible. You can barely go into pressure strings or frame traps against her, especially Parasoul because she relies on her Napalm shots and she ignores that with her hyper.

And doesn't she have a DP? I don't know if that's invincible or not.

GGs Solarpowered, when you left I was playing some other guy who was like on my level (but was winning over me so I wanted to download him). I downloaded him now I can beat him, well until he has me locked down with an assist and goes for IAD pressure with Filia.. then I am toast.

Dahbomb

I just saw some ChrisG Skullgirl matches from like a year ago. Winning on pure fundamentals, nothing fancy. I thought I would learn something from watching his Parasoul but its basically how I play just slightly different block strings, different combo and not fucking inputs due to playing on KB. And as expected ChrisG is an up back j.HP monster.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you want easy mode skullgirls right now just use a character with a good otg combo and have fillia's updoo assist and just block and mash assist when they try to attack up close :p

It's Psylocke

Dahbomb

Why not just use Parasoul assist instead? You can't combo after it or something?

Most people online have bad fundamentals despite knowing some good tech and combos or having good teams. A Peacock who would keep you out with two assists for almost the whole game and fold when you get close. A Filia player who has no defense because all she is doing is IAD j.HP into j.HK with an assist while trying to confirm a combo with that derpy ass cr.MK. Once my execution and knowledge of the game is up to snuff I would start beating these randoms consistently but until then I have to take those IADs in the face along with Cerebella/Squiggly players mashing grab hypers/command grabs.

Nice. I'm more impressed that you consistently landed Bella's j.lp x 6, j.HP restand. I hate that thing. Trying to get better at it b/c the j.lk, j.hk restand timing varies so much. Your Parasoul looks great.
Good match ! That reminds that I still haven't added you on steam :/.
Thanks

Inuchiyo is no slouch. Dude will drain your health fast with Fortune. The j.lp restand is like the easiest thing in the world. Honestly, almost all of Cerebella's restands are the easiest in the game. That is why she clicked with me. Very good damage for a relatively low amount of work.
GGs Solarpowered, when you left I was playing some other guy who was like on my level (but was winning over me so I wanted to download him). I downloaded him now I can beat him, well until he has me locked down with an assist and goes for IAD pressure with Filia.. then I am toast.
GG

There was a lot of confusion between you, Discoshark and Cloudius tonight lol.
I just saw some ChrisG Skullgirl matches from like a year ago. Winning on pure fundamentals, nothing fancy. I thought I would learn something from watching his Parasoul but its basically how I play just slightly different block strings, different combo and not fucking inputs due to playing on KB. And as expected ChrisG is an up back j.HP monster.
His Parasoul play didn't look very good from what I remember.
Why not just use Parasoul assist instead? You can't combo after it or something?

Most people online have bad fundamentals despite knowing some good tech and combos or having good teams. A Peacock who would keep you out with two assists for almost the whole game and fold when you get close. A Filia player who has no defense because all she is doing is IAD j.HP into j.HK with an assist while trying to confirm a combo with that derpy ass cr.MK. Once my execution and knowledge of the game is up to snuff I would start beating these randoms consistently but until then I have to take those IADs in the face along with Cerebella/Squiggly players mashing grab hypers/command grabs.
I'd say that Peacock was playing right if they're at least running away most of the time. The bad cases are the people who literally fall apart once they get touched or you keep them locked out. That was the case for someone who had a point Squigly the other day. They could use a 60% combo on me, but they could only win like one out of seven matches because they just couldn't get in. Their defense is okay, but you can't afford to not touch your opponent at all like he did.

Nyoro SF

Both of them causing hard knockdown is kind of silly, because it makes the point character a "I have all of these interesting options, but I will forego them entirely to wait for my invincible assist to hit you so I can combo you" archetype.

Mr. X

Both of them causing hard knockdown is kind of silly, because it makes the point character a "I have all of these interesting options, but I will forego them entirely to wait for my invincible assist to hit you so I can combo you" archetype.

Lol @ that still working on people.

Said every Valentine/Filia player ever.

Still makes me rage.

Kioshen

Guilty as charge. If it acts as a workable crutch until I can get my execution problems under control then so be it.

Nyoro SF

Guilty as charge. If it acts as a workable crutch until I can get my execution problems under control then so be it.

It's all good, play to win, etc. It's primarily my reason for learning Parasoul, even though I don't like the character.

But then it turns into an invincible assist battle online and bodies are flying everywhere and hitsparks and compounded hitstun sounds oh god

EDIT: Plus I don't even want to imagine characters like Filia without some invincible assist to keep her in check. Just airdash madly for unintended crossups all day.

Kioshen

It's all good, play to win, etc. It's primarily my reason for learning Parasoul, even though I don't like the character.

But then it turns into an invincible assist battle online and bodies are flying everywhere and hitsparks and compounded hitstun sounds oh god

EDIT: Plus I don't even want to imagine characters like Filia without some invincible assist to keep her in check. Just airdash madly for unintended crossups all day.

Thankfully they aren't completely invincible marvel 3 style but invincible marvel 2 style. Plus you need to use up your OTG right at the start.

Edit: Also assists do have 2-3 frames of vulnerability on startup too iirc.

Luigi87

Wow, thanks for posting that Valentine flowchart.

I am having difficulty at c.HP j.LP j.MP(2 hits) j.HP air dash cancel j.MP

I just seem to drop too quickly after canceling into j.HP that I can't air dash.

(I'm probably just being too slow. I think my biggest issue is I need to speed up my inputs... Which I guess will be via practice)

*starts practicing that section repeatedly*

Dahbomb

I am having difficulty at c.HP j.LP j.MP(2 hits) j.HP air dash cancel j.MP

I just seem to drop too quickly after canceling into j.HP that I can't air dash.
You do j.LP, j.MP as soon as possible so that they are done as high as possible after the launcher. Do j.HP after letting j.MP rip a little bit then immediately do air dash into immediate j.MP.

I did this combo too not too long ago but the damage was meh in general. I guess that's Valentine, at least her throw game is really good.

Luigi87

You do j.LP, j.MP as soon as possible so that they are done as high as possible after the launcher. Do j.HP after letting j.MP rip a little bit then immediately do air dash into immediate j.MP.

I did this combo too not too long ago but the damage was meh in general. I guess that's Valentine, at least her throw game is really good.

Ah, alrighty, thanks. This seems to be my main flaw. Not inputting the attacks quick enough after jumping.

Beckx

Ah, alrighty, thanks. This seems to be my main flaw. Not inputting the attacks quick enough after jumping.

Yeah, I find I'm starting to build my game around my weakness for certain inputs. (For example, I have a tendency when doing c.lk, c.mp, c.hp to hit c.hp too soon, causing it not to come out, so I now double tap it which works fine.) As I mentioned on the last page, I can't reliably hit restands because of this, so today I've been working on other combos to maximize damage without restands. What I like is that I found a few, and I love that this game is flexible enough I can build strategies to compensate for my weaknesses.

--------------------

Meanwhile, recently I'd put octagonal gates into my control panel to try them out, and see if they helped execution. Finally realized that they were really, really hurting me, because occasionally when transitioning to crouching backs or forwards, or from them to jumping forwards, I could get hung up on the gate and miss the input. So today I went back in and put the square gates back.

Install everything and go to training mode and things are worse. Like, I can't even jump forwards or crouch block.

Turns out I had accidentally installed the gate in a diamond (4-direction) configuration. Ugh. Gotta pay more attention to detail.

Anyway, don't use octagonal gates, kids.

Top Bottom