• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews Contra 4 (DS)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/834/834843p1.html

8.0 Presentation
A cool historical throwback to the days of skill over style. Lots of fun extras including the first two NES games unlockable.
7.5 Graphics
It looks good, but It's a step backwards in visual appeal from other Contra sequels with its pixel art focus...intentionally so since this is meant as a follow-up to the 16-bit games.
8.0 Sound
The soundtrack definitely harkens back to the energetic, dynamic tunes of Konami old-school...and it works.
8.0 Gameplay
Absolutely, positively one of the hardest games you'll play on the DS...the difficulty curve starts at 10 and never dips. It's unforgiving in its difficulty, and seems to take pride in the fact.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Because there's no way to plow through the game without running out of continues and restarting (multiple times), this one will be hours before you have the right stuff to master. Bring a friend.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
did they seriously score the graphics down because they aren't 3d? what is this, ign dreamcast reviewing gigawing circa 1999? i thought we were over the whole OMG POLYGONS thing

glad to hear about the difficulty anyway

Odrion

Banned
Wow, sounds like the game has soul. Really cool that they made it more like a faithful SNES sequel.

Also dronhe, I think IGN is saying that the game is just pure retro graphics. Other 2D titles for the handheld look much better by pixel art alone.

IGN Philistines said:
7.5 Graphics
It looks good, but It's a step backwards in visual appeal from other Contra sequels with its pixel art focus...intentionally so since this is meant as a follow-up to the 16-bit games.

Jesus Christ IGN. You'd shit on the Mona Lisa if it was painted today. HUR HUR HUR NOT HD NO 3D WHERE DOES I SEE GAME?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Did he just score the graphics less than Sonic Rush Adventure? I believe Craig reviewed both...

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Odrion said:
Wow, sounds like the game has balls.

fixed.

Btw it looks like a good score for its genre. Total bs to give less points because it's a 2D game, the reviewer is 15 years old or what?

baruflea

drohne said:
did they seriously score the graphics down because they aren't 3d? what is this, ign dreamcast reviewing gigawing circa 1999? i thought we were over the whole OMG POLYGONS thing

Yeah. Fuck you with a fucking stick, IGN, if you're too stupid to recognize it's a 2D franchise!

And the note about the difficulty is lovely. We need more of these types of games--they hand you your ass, spit on you, and dare you to try again :lol This is one of many elements that make Ikaruga so great.

baruflea said:
Yeah. Fuck you with a fucking stick, IGN, if you're too stupid to recognize it's BASED ON a @D franchise!

What's far more insulting is the fact that WayForward are the last bastion of pixel art, and Contra 4 (from what I've seen) is some of the most detailed, beautifully animated 2D artwork ever.

drohne

you know, i don't even think the ign reviewer was making a conscious anti-2d statement -- that graphics blurb was probably written automatically, as most game journalism is written, purely to fill so much space on a page. it probably doesn't mean anything at all. and game reviewers wonder why we focus on scores.

madara

Joe Molotov said:
Wait, did they just rip Contra 4 for being 2D?

Christ I was thinking this too, I'm so sick of this crap, right off the heels of Zack and Wiki blurb in EGM too. We need some new reviewers I'm beyond tired of their stickt for trying to apologize because game isnt all poly.

drohne said:
you know, i don't even think the ign reviewer was making a conscious anti-2d statement he -- that graphics blurb was probably written automatically, as most game journalism is written, purely to fill so much space on a page. it probably doesn't mean anything at all. and game reviewers wonder why we focus on scores.

they could at least been decent and put in

7.5 Graphics
dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text dummy text

drohne said:

The difficulty seems fucking crazy. Makes Devil May Cry 3 look like diet-prune juice from albertsons.

RBH

7.5 Graphics

picard.jpg

CamHostage

drohne said:

I don't think that's it. Like Odrion said, I think it's just that it's intentionally old-looking even though better 2D is possible (as is some 2D/3D hybrid graphics) with DS and has been done with the system. From the videos I've seen, it doesn't do much with the system, it's just good old-fashioned Contra.

Dragona Akehi said:
What's far more insulting is the fact that WayForward are the last bastion of pixel art, and Contra 4 (from what I've seen) is some of the most detailed, beautifully animated 2D artwork ever.

Really??

contra-4-20070711000401469.jpg

Compare that to just Metal Slug on GBA.

metal-slug-advance-20040625051050601.jpg

Hereafter

I just read the review, and I now understand where the IGN hatred comes from.

Craig complain that the game is too hard, then he complains about the easy mode.

He complains about the lack of innovation the series without informing the readers what he meant or wants innovated. It's a step backward because it's not innovative? Okay tell us what you mean. Is it the weapons? Oh wait you didn't talk about anything besides:

1) It's a run and gun shooter
2) it's hard
3) but it's too hard
4) needs to innovate more
5) NES games don't have wireless multiplayer

I don't care what score the game got. The review is crap. It's a threadbare preview with a score.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Dragona Akehi said:
Jesus Christ IGN. You'd shit on the Mona Lisa if it was painted today. HUR HUR HUR NOT HD NO 3D WHERE DOES I SEE GAME?

Wasn't Mona Lisa the first 3D painting with perspective and shit like that?

The review says the game is great, so I don't give a shit for the score. :D

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It looks like this game will be too hard for me. :(

I think i'll try a friend's copy before i buy.

Loudninja

Hereafter said:
I just read the review, and I now understand where the IGN hatred comes from.

Craig complain that the game is too hard, then he complains about the easy mode.

He complains about the lack of innovation the series without informing the readers what he meant or wants innovated. It's a step backward because it's not innovative? Okay tell us what you mean. Is it the weapons? Oh wait you didn't talk about anything besides:

1) It's a run and gun shooter
2) it's hard
3) but it's too hard
4) needs to innovate more
5) NES games don't have wireless multiplayer

I don't care what score the game got. The review is crap. It's a threadbare preview with a score.

Well there goes Uncharted

manueldelalas said:
Wasn't Mona Lisa the first 3D painting with perspective and shit like that?

The review says the game is great, so I don't give a shit for the score. :D

2.0 Presentation
She's just sitting there. What the fuck is that shit? And those "tress" in the background: what kind of shit is this? Horrible. Boring.

3.5 Graphics
She's ugly, too fat and her smile makes her look stupid. Not to mention those long sleeves are CLEARLY hiding pointy elbows.

1.0 Sound
There is no sound. Other than people yawning around you. If you're lucky. There's simply no excuse, this day and age.

4.0 Gameplay
Stand there and stare. Flawed and lacking innovation. At least it isn't buggy.

2.5 Lasting Appeal
If you've seen it once, you've seen it all. Guaranteed to be boring within five minutes of play.

3.5 POOR OVERALL
(Not an Average)

sykoex said:

*slaps you*

BITCH, this ain't no wario ware, this . is. CONTRA mutha-fucka.

contra_4_art.jpg

Look at this picture! LOOK AT IT! Man-up son, contra is calling.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:
2.0 Presentation
She's just sitting there. What the fuck is that shit? And those "tress" in the background: what kind of shit is this? Horrible. Boring.

3.5 Graphics
She's ugly, too fat and her smile makes her look stupid. Not to mention those long sleeves are CLEARLY hiding pointy elbows.

1.0 Sound
There is no sound. Other than people yawning around you. If you're lucky. There's simply no excuse, this day and age.

4.0 Gameplay

2.5 Lasting Appeal
If you've seen it once, you've seen it all. Guaranteed to be boring within five minutes of play.

3.5 POOR OVERALL
(Not an Average)
:lol :lol

baruflea

sykoex said:

No, no! Never say a game is too hard for you. Completing such games is one of the joys of gaming. Try it first if you must, but give it a chance.

I don't mind a challenging game, but I really don't have the patience to constantly redo levels when continues run out. Here's hoping there's an extra-lives code that'll surface.

dude

dude
Hereafter said:
He complains about the lack of innovation the series
Wasn't the point of Contra 4 to be a throwback to the old days of the NES i.e, the exact opposite of innovation?

baruflea

Dragona Akehi said:
2.0 Presentation

3.5 Graphics

1.0 Sound

4.0 Gameplay

2.5 Lasting Appeal

3.5 POOR OVERALL
(Not an Average)

:lol :lol :lol Brilliant! 5 *, too.

Mariah Carey said:
I don't mind a challenging game, but I really don't have the patience to constantly redo levels when continues run out. Here's hoping there's an extra-lives code that'll surface.

Yo can still enjoy a game by completing only some of the levels, or said levels many times.

I remember as a kid I could never get passed level 3 on Contra NES, but I didn't care because playing the first few levels were fun enough.

Also, hard games only become annoying if you're mind-bet on finishing it front to end the same day you bought it.

This is a toy, you play, lose, try again, try again 2 days later, fail, die, game over, try again, have fun, get better, die, and finally beat it casually the month later.

Not a game where you must experience the game's story and setting in a coherent fashion within two days.

CamHostage said:
I don't think that's it. Like Odrion said, I think it's just that it's intentionally old-looking even though better 2D is possible (as is some 2D/3D hybrid graphics) with DS and has been done with the system. From the videos I've seen, it doesn't do much with the system, it's just good old-fashioned Contra.
I don't see how you can say that and be serious about it, unless you're comparing the game to Odin Sphere or GrimGrimoire (which is an unrealistic comparison). Contra 4 has some of the nicest 2D I've seen in a very long time, and I'm a big fan of 2D in general. It has GOOD ART, not the lazy prerendered trash you tend to see in a lot of modern 2D games.

How do you even define "old-looking?" My mind is boggled.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Dragona Akehi said:
2.0 Presentation

3.5 Graphics

1.0 Sound

4.0 Gameplay

2.5 Lasting Appeal

3.5 POOR OVERALL
(Not an Average)

wow :lol :lol

drohne

he says that it's a step back from previous contra sequels -- he can't mean contra III or hard corps. again, i doubt he thought the statement through, but i don't think it can be read the way odrion and camhostage have read it

lyre

The game is hard. That's all I need to know.

And Craig Harris hates hard games AND sprites. Craig = PHAILS!

This game will fill the shoot-things-and-they-explode void that the DS MM games have left empty.

You know if this thread were on the IGN boards, Craig would make sure to stop in and say "I can't believe you guys are crying over an 8.0." You see, if we complain about the review at all, clearly it's because we think an 8.0 is a low score.

Bebpo

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Eh, Shattered Soldier looked awesome. Possibly the best looking Contra game. This is a step back whether you like it or not.

lyre

ratcliffja said:
You know if this thread were on the IGN boards, Craig would make sure to stop in and say "I can't believe you guys are crying over an 8.0." You see, if we complain about the review at all, clearly it's because we think an 8.0 is a low score.
I see an 8.0 overall is perfectly acceptable since hard games only cater to a niche crowd.

HOWEVER, everyone here is NOT bitching about the overall score nor the scores for each catagory. What everyone IS complaining about, scampy, os the actual text. Especially this part:

Craig said:
...It's a step backwards in visual appeal from other Contra sequels with its pixel art focus

I actually have no words to say about this statement. It simply boggles the mind. And he probably docked points for this makes it worse.

Bebpo said:
Eh, Shattered Soldier looked awesome. Possibly the best looking Contra game. This is a step back whether you like it or not.

The DS ain't the PS2 is it? And even if it was, considering how Konami is currently run, the game would probably look worse than Dracula X Chronicles.

And quite frankly, I love sprites and hope there are more of them even though there's absolutely no chance of that happening.

Top Bottom