• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crispin Boyer defines what a non-game is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Haha, this thread is awesome.

I've heard people say that standards for what makes a good game can change over time. But this is the first time I've ever encountered an argument for standards of an entire genre being changed over time.

Oblivion said:

I've heard people say that standards for what makes a good game can change over time. But this is the first time I've ever encountered an argument for standards of an entire genre being changed over time.
What genre is Endless Blue anyways?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oblivion said:

why is that so unbelievable that standards for an entire genre be changed?

If a game like Final Fantasy 1 or 2 were released today, it would bomb like no other. There are standards for an entire genre, and they barely suffice anything.

Said it before but I'll say it again - we had to listen to Shane go on and on about Fl0w for fucking hours on 1UP Yours but nope.. Endless Ocean isn't worthy of a review.

Kuran

Banned
davepoobond said:
but there are limitations. i don't know shit about Endless Ocean, but a game that asks you questions and you tap an answer on a screen is a non-game. if you think tapping a screen (ala DS) automatically makes it a game, you need to revamp your definition of what a gaming element is.

because i guess now that the Wii is out, a wave of my arm means that I am playing a game all the time. which its not.

You haven't played it, nor taken the time to read about it. So don't try going into a discussion about it.

The game is all about exploration, it has adventure elements, it has puzzles, it has a lot of stuff to collect. You can play it together with friends, or you can just explore and map new areas, find new species, or look for treasure.

To be frank, it has more gameplay than most action games where the only way to interact with objects is to point your gun.

Banned
davepoobond said:
but there are limitations.
:lol Now they are limitations.

You guys could weave shit into gold.

i don't know shit about Endless Ocean, but a game that asks you questions and you tap an answer on a screen is a non-game. if you think tapping a screen (ala DS) automatically makes it a game, you need to revamp your definition of what a gaming element is.
If you think pressing a plastic button makes it a game, then you aren't a real gamer.

Oblivion

Foxtastical said:
What genre is Endless Blue anyways?

Beats me.

davepoobond said:
why is that so unbelievable that standards for an entire genre be changed?

If a game like Final Fantasy 1 or 2 were released today, it would bomb like no other. There are standards for an entire genre, and they barely suffice anything.

Pardon? FF1 and 2 aren't considered RPGs anymore or something?

No they don't. What genre changed definition this gen? Last gen. the gen before that. Have you ever even thought about that before this crap hit? Genres don't just change for no reason, so please stop spreading this..
What are you talking about? The way we perceive games is constantly changing, be it by micro advances (story in something like Bioshock) or through evolutions of other genres (the rise of these casual or non-games). Obviously non-games existed before the Wii, but there wasn't this genre that we now call "non-games" that we're now lumping many of these casual "experiences" into.

I think the question should be: "Why are you so predisposed to use the past to dictate the future?" In your argument, you're essentially saying that we should still be calling FPS games "Doom Clones."

DevelopmentArrested said:
Said it before but I'll say it again - we had to listen to Shane go on and on about Fl0w for fucking hours on 1UP Yours but nope.. Endless Ocean isn't worthy of a review.
flOw wasn't reviewed by EGM, and Forever Blue was reviewed by 1UP.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If you think pressing a plastic button makes it a game, then you aren't a real gamer.

nah, nothing to do with being a real gamer or not, just being an idiot

Oblivion said:
Beats me.

Pardon? FF1 and 2 aren't considered RPGs anymore or something?

no, not FF1 and 2 themselves, but if a new game like that was made and released.

FF1 and 2 themselves have nostalgia and the fact that its a series of games going for it as far as why they still sell.

but you're saying STANDARDS. there are also sub-standard RPGs, i hope you realize.

Slizeezyc

No they don't. What genre changed definition this gen? Last gen. the gen before that. Have you ever even thought about that before this crap hit? Genres don't just change for no reason, so please stop spreading this.

So Endless Ocean is a game since it does have gaming elements. Nice to know we agree.

I think it depends on what you consider to be something that makes a genre switch. Like I said I haven't played EO so I don't have an opinion on that game itself.

My original point wasn't really to argue about whether it was a game or not just to simply hope that the topic being discussed dealt with what is or isn't a game rather than crapping on something that really wasn't part of the discussion, or isn't going to go anywhere.

ethelred

Tabris said:
It's not the fact it's cause it's on the Wii, it's the fact that non-games are more prevelant nowadays. Everblue 2 was unique, Forever Blue is no longer unique as every developer is trying to catch a ride on the non-game train.

Oh, please. Someone whose favorite game involves 30 hours of watching anime characters engage in heavy-handed self-psychoanalysis, a tedium enterprise involving no greater depth of gaming elements than hitting a button to occasionally advance the plodding text, has no business commenting on what is and is not a game.

tino

Banned
As long as they don't review most PSeye games, which are fansy screen savers, I am fine with their definition of "game."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Sapiens said:
You people bitch when someone gets fired for expressing his opinion, and then you bitch again when someone isn't marginalized for expressing their opinion.

If you don't like it, then start your own game mag but with with hookers and booze.

It's not an opinion if he's factually incorrect.

Using his stupid logic, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, and Afrika shouldn't get reviewed.

He's wrong. It's a video game and journalists shouldn't sound like a child on a forum using the term "non-game'.

I AM JOHN! said:
What are you talking about? The way we perceive games is constantly changing, be it by micro advances (story in something like Bioshock) or through evolutions of other genres (the rise of these casual or non-games). Obviously non-games existed before the Wii, but there wasn't this genre that we now call "non-games" that we're now lumping many of these casual "experiences" into.

I think the question should be: "Why are you so predisposed to use the past to dictate the future?" In your argument, you're essentially saying that we should still be calling FPS games "Doom Clones.".
I like this.

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:

I think the question should be: "Why are you so predisposed to use the past to dictate the future?" In your argument, you're essentially saying that we should still be calling FPS games "Doom Clones."
We should be calling Doom Clones FPS. No genre has changed so radically that it's a brand new genre. Non-game isn't even a genre, it's a derogatory term used by elitists. Nintendog is a simulation game, Brain Age is edutainment software, wii sports is a sports game.

But hey, if we are perceiving new genres every 5 years than where the fuck is Super Mario Bros. Final Fantasy 1, Ultima,Zalda. Metroid, Adventure, etc etc

This has never been the case, and thank god for that.

Oblivion

davepoobond said:
no, not FF1 and 2 themselves, but if a new game like that was made and released.

FF1 and 2 themselves have nostalgia and the fact that its a series of games going for it as far as why they still sell.

but you're saying STANDARDS. there are also sub-standard RPGs, i hope you realize.

Right, but that's not what I was implying. I'm not saying I have a problem with standards of game quality changing over time. I was referring to what can or can't be considered a part of that genre anymore changing over time.

Just wanted to note something:

I was playing Endless Ocean and some guy wanted me to take him on a tour and find this particular fish(I forget what it was called).

Anyway I wasn't having much luck and the guy was whining about how "this tour is boring" and "I wanna see the ???? wahhhh". A few minutes later however and I get a message from my partner on the boat saying the tourist is completely satisfied and I can come back up anytime I want.

Now even though I pretty much failed in my objective to find this particular fish I still got a "hey you're great!" and a reward.

Also I'm not sure how the Pokemon Snap comparisons are valid. In PS in order to progress didn't you have to score enough points photographing pokemon in a variety of situations? That's more of a game than Endless Ocean...which seems content telling you don't suck no matter what happens.

Which is fine by me, because I bought Endless Ocean to relax.

Tabris

ethelred said:
Oh, please. Someone whose favorite game involves 30 hours of watching anime characters engage in heavy-handed self-psychoanalysis, a tedium enterprise involving no greater depth of gaming elements than hitting a button to occasionally advance the plodding text, has no business commenting on what is and is not a game.

My favorite game is Suikoden II. That's my second and fourth favorite game (xenogears and xenosaga episode III). The games I am currently enjoying are: Rockband, Mass Effect, and Super Mario Galaxy, all which enhance the gaming depth in their respective genres.

Thanks for playing though (oh wait, you're not actually playing with non-games :p)

Slizeezyc

We should be calling Doom Clones FPS. No genre has changed so radically that it's a brand new genre. Non-game isn't even a genre, it's a derogatory term used by elitists. Nintendog is a simulation game, Brain Age is edutainment software, wii sports is a sports game.

But hey, if we are perceiving new genres every 5 years than where the fuck is Super Mario Bros. Final Fantasy 1, Ultima,Zalda. Metroid, Adventure, etc etc

This has never been the case, and thank god for that.

I'd just like to say personally that if something is lumped in as a non-game I don't think any less of it.

Anyway so your point is you are looking at the very very core of each genre, and that's a perfectly acceptable argument, it's just not one everyone is going to agree with...Also I guess you have beef with the non-game term itself, so I'm sure that has something to do with your belief in this argument.

Also I guess this type of game could be a so called "new genre" that is now more defined? Is EO an open world game in your mind?

Non-game isn't even a genre, it's a derogatory term used by elitists. Nintendog is a simulation game, Brain Age is edutainment software, wii sports is a sports game.
I consider it a genre. When I play Sudoku Gridmaster, I sure as fuck don't think to myself: "I'm having a great time playing this puzzle game.

But yeah, I agree that the term "nongame" is usually used to degrade a game, which is why I called Forever Blue an "experience" instead.

EDIT: why are we even discussing this shitty fucking game anyway? Sure, this is an important discussion to have, but over Endless fucking Ocean?!

Banned
Slizeezyc said:
I'd just like to say personally that if something is lumped in as a non-game I don't think any less of it.

Anyway so your point is you are looking at the very very core of each genre, and that's a perfectly acceptable argument, it's just not one everyone is going to agree with...Also I guess you have beef with the non-game term itself, so I'm sure that has something to do with your belief in this argument.
I'm angry that people are okay with an EGM editor lying, and have now, all of a sudden decided video game genres can change every 5 days as they see fit.

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
I consider it a genre. When I play Sudoku Gridmaster, I sure as fuck don't think to myself: "I'm having a great time playing this puzzle game.
Of course not. It educational software.

EDIT: why are we even discussing this shitty fucking game anyway? Sure, this is an important discussion to have, but over Endless fucking Ocean?!
EO isn't shitty. It's not AAA, but there are far worse games they reviewed in that issue for multiple consoles. EO got an 8.0 on 1up, so chances are if it got a real review in EGm it would have a silver award, and some pretty decent scores.

I AM JOHN! said:

Now your trolling went from thinly veiled to blatantly bad. Congrats.
I didn't know 8/10 games were shitty fucking ones.
But hey at least you admitted that it is indeed a game.

Slizeezyc

I'm angry that people are okay with an EGM editor lying, and have now, all of a sudden decided video game genres can change eevry 5 days as they see fit.

Well I said before, if he is wrong about what's in the game then call him out on that, I just can't say since I haven't played it.

I don't think people are saying genres change that quick, but rather:

1. Perhaps the "non-game" term is an easy way to group games of this type together. Maybe you'd like them to be called something else? Or what would you classify EO as?

2. People think a genre shift can occur in more than one way. In other words genres change in other ways outside of just changing the very deep down core mechanics of a game. A common argument is everything is a clone of something else, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

Okay, where to begin?
I'm angry that people are okay with an EGM editor lying, and have now, all of a sudden decided video game genres can change every 5 days as they see fit.
Who the fuck said this? Every sensible response I've seen has pretty much stated: "If Crispin misrepresented this game and said that it doesn't have things that it does have, THAT is a problem. So what if he called it a nongame?" And why are you so fucking tied to pointless genre distinctions?
Of course not. It educational software.
Oh please.
EO isn't shitty. It's not AAA, but there are far worse games they reviewed in that issue for multiple consoles. EO got an 8.0 on 1up, so chances are if it got a real review in EGm it would have a silver award, and some pretty decent scores.
I should say: I haven't played the game, but I DID play Everblue 2, and that game was shit. So unless you're a huge Everblue fan, I'm going to wager that the love this game is getting is a classic case of Nintendonauts syndrome.
Now your trolling went from thinly veiled to blatantly bad. Congrats.
I didn't know 8/10 games were shitty fucking ones.
But hey at least you admitted that it is indeed a game.
No, that was the only troll, since the fact that GAF is having a meltdown over this game being called a nongame blows my mind. Feel free to see above for my reasoning for hating Endless Ocean.

Tab0203

There is a story ("help" the girl), time limit (air gauge) and missions/assignments (photographer/diving guide) with winning conditions.

You have to find treasures, solve "puzzles" (fill a room with water to continue) to open up new areas and unlock new diving gear: night diving lamp, fins, suits, gloves, larger tank (air gauge upgrade)

Guiding/pictures for diving mags get rated (score!) A-D iirc. It is possible to fail. Cover story/medium/small article/rejected.

Edit

2it2yyw.jpg

Tab0203 said:
There is a story ("help" the girl), time limit (air gauge) and missions/assignments (photographer/diving guide) with winning conditions.

You have to find treasures, solve "puzzles" (fill a room with water to continue) to open up new areas and unlock new diving gear: night diving lamp, fins, suits, gloves, larger tank (air gauge upgrade)

Guiding/pictures for diving mags get rated (score!) A-D iirc. It is possible to fail. Cover story/medium/small article/rejected.
GAF'ed.

Tab0203 said:

Ah shit I bought this game to relax. :lol

I AM JOHN! said:
I should say: I haven't played the game, but I DID play Everblue 2, and that game was shit. So unless you're a huge Everblue fan, I'm going to wager that the love this game is getting is a classic case of Nintendonauts syndrome.

I see.

No, that was the only troll, since the fact that GAF is having a meltdown over this game being called a nongame blows my mind. Feel free to see above for my reasoning for hating Endless Ocean.

GAF's had meltdowns over far less and it is stupid that EGM didn't review it.

Way to douche up the Thread Title. Bravo OP.

Assassin's might have gotten a low score from him, but he always backs up his scores with the text from the reviews. People do realize the numbers are based on one person's views and not just towing the company line... right?

In my opinion, this is why Ziff has the only mags worth reading. Actually reading, not just scanning GAF for the scores from the new EGM.

Boyer is the bees knees, and anyone who has any clue about games journalism in the last.. I don't know, TEN YEARS would know that and realize they were throwing themselves in as shark bait with an absurd thread like this.

GO CRISPIN AND GO GAME.COM BATMAN AND ROBIN!!!

Hey at least I'm honest and have reasons besides "LOL NONGAME". :p
GAF's had meltdowns over far less and it is stupid that EGM didn't review it.
1) Those meltdowns are equally laughable.
2) Is it also stupid that they don't review games like Luxor 2 or American Girl?

Anth

I can see how it can be hard to categorize some games. What genre exactly is Endless Ocean?
Well, whatever it is, it's not of the genre "Non"-game. Because "Non"-game is not a genre, it's just a derogatory term. Which you can see easily by the fact that the term does nothing to describe the game.

Also, the definition of "video-game" is incredibly easy. It's something that you can somehow run with a console or a computer, and that is described by the developer as game.
If someone gives you a bugged version of Doom, that crashes upon starting it, you would still call it a game. (Much like Big Rigs was, and is considered a game)
Endless Ocean allows you to do more than that bugged version of Doom (and more than Big Rigs), so naturally, it is a game.

Whether it's a good game or not is another matter. That bugged version of Doom certainly wouldn't be, and it would probably not even get reviewed. Is Endless Ocean bad enough not to get reviewed? Judging by experiences and reviews: No, it isn't.

What we see is merely some idiots getting upset because companies have finally realized there are people other than 12-22 year old males.

My favorite game is Suikoden II. That's my second and fourth favorite game (xenogears and xenosaga episode III). The games I am currently enjoying are: Rockband, Mass Effect, and Super Mario Galaxy, all which enhance the gaming depth in their respective genres.
Uh ... I really don't think liking xenogears means you have a good gaming taste.

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Okay, where to begin?

Who the fuck said this? Every sensible response I've seen has pretty much stated: "If Crispin misrepresented this game and said that it doesn't have things that it does have, THAT is a problem. So what if he called it a nongame?" And why are you so fucking tied to pointless genre distinctions?
It isn't a non-game, and I'm suprised I'm the one one who's tied to genre distinctions when you guys are more than happen to eliminate multiple games just to create this non-game crap.

It's one thing to raise some artificial bar. It's another thing to say"well genres completely change whenever the fuck we want. when did the adventure genre change so much that EO is no longer an adventure game, but now a non-game? What year? What game made that happen?"

Call of Duty 3 was boring. I guess Call of Duty 4 must suck as well.

What reasoning. You haven't even proved you have played Everblue 2.

No, but you comparing EO to those games is rather stupid.
Okay, maybe those aren't the best examples, but they're the first things that came off the top of my head. :(

The point I'm struggling to get at is: do you think it's a problem that EGM usually does not review other such "non" or "casual" games? And should they?

Call of Duty 3 was boring. I guess Call of Duty 4 must suck as well.
Well, that shuts me up. :p

I could go into why I don't like Everblue 2, but does it really matter? Should we really be turning this thread into "why (I AM) John baselessly hates a game because he rented a previous one in the series for a day and hated it"? :(

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Okay, maybe those aren't the best examples, but they're the first things that came off the top of my head. :(

The point I'm struggling to get at is: do you think it's a problem that EGM usually does not review other such "non" or "casual" games? And should they?
No, EGM has always ignored low budget games, whether it's casual games or hardcore indie PC games. No one expects reviews of irrelevant games.

But when a game is getting media coverage, and decent scores. It should be covered.

I AM JOHN! said:
Well, that shuts me up. :p

I could go into why I don't like Everblue 2, but does it really matter?
Yeah, it kinda does. At the very least it gives you some sort of credibility.

Right now you're just saying " Endless Ocean sucks becuase I said so."

Pre

hclflow said:
Oh man, EGM writers say a lot of dumb things on a monthly basis, but I do believe this takes the cake!

Anyhow, my thanks go to Crispin for pushing EGM even closer towards total irrelevance! :lol

Oh, yes. This certainly is making EGM more irrelevant. I mean, there's no backlash at all on the Internet. No one cares about this.

/sarcasm

Anyway, in typical GAF fashion, people are livid over nothing. EGM is a publication that can choose what they cover, and they felt it was unnecessary to review Endless Ocean. That's all you guys need to know, but instead you start attacking Crispin personally for sharing why the decision was made.

Nobody cares about Endless Ocean. Why anyone would get their panties in a wad over a game that nobody cares about is beyond me. It's stupid to say that this will hurt EGM, because Endless Ocean isn't even marketed towards the people that read the magazine.

In the end, this just comes down to one thing: people hate the idea of other people having an opinion that differs from their own. A lot of people posting are still sore because Crispin gave AC a 4.5, and then there are the people that disagree with his definition of a game. It's just a difference of opinion, so calm down. The world isn't coming to a fucking end.

beef3483

ethelred said:

I think every JRPG has this. It's just the hours that fluctuate.

Xisiqomelir said:
If they reviewed Forever Blue (and LOOK, they DID!) then they can review this.

Thanks for pointing this out. Now the double standard is out in the open.

Also, how deep are EGM and 1UPs affiliations? Because this is something I would expect from 1UP.

Flynn

StarscreamLSU said:
No its not. That's closer to the definition of "play". "Game" implies some sort of goal or structure.

It implies goal and structure to gamers, because that's what we're used to. And I'd argue that the games code, the rules for the simulation, offer tons of structure.

But lets look at the actual definition of the word "game."

Dictionary.com

an amusement or pastime

Merriam Webster

activity engaged in for diversion or amusement

It's only further down in the definition of "game" where rules and goals come into play -- usually the third definition. This means that, while games can have rules and goals, their exclusion does not render a game a so called "non-game."

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
EGM said:
Why isn't it a game?
Endless Ocean gives you a sailboat and a stretch of the South Pacific to explore at 10 fathoms. What it doesn't give you is danger, conflict, enemies, a story, obstacles a health bar, bosses... you know, game stuff. You don't even have to worry about your air supply. Ever tried diving without an air guage? Diving's a supersafe sport, but if you don't follow a few simple rules, you could rupture your lungs or catch agonizing decompression sickness or just drift into a happy warm funk until you run out of air. I'm not saying EO needs to give players the bends, but it'd be nice if the occasional fish at least tried to eat you.

Wait, you mean the fish don't bite?
Nope, not even when you chum the water and then reach out to pet them with your Wii remote. EO's fauna - both the fish below and hte birds above the water - exist solely to satisfy your critter-molestation desires. It's be like Mario going to the Mushroom Kingdom just to grope all the Goombas and the Koopas. At least the manta ray in Super Mario Galaxy will kill ya if you ride him wrong, for cryin' out loud. Your goal here ultimately is to catalog as many fish as you can get in petting distance, stopping along the way to give dive tours to tourists who want in on the hot fin-petting action. And if that sounds more like work than a game, then bingo - That's why EO kicks off our inaugural installment of Electronic Nongaming Monthly. - Crispin Boyer

Interesting, because this looks like a review to me!

Tab0203 said:

...And perhaps a bad review? If the above EGM blurb was all that was mentioned in the magazine, then did the 1up crew play this game for more than five minutes?

Endless Ocean certainly does seem like a "non-game," though, and I doubt the majority of EGM's readers care if it gets reviewed or not.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Oxford says a "game" is:
1 a form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
• a complete episode or period of play, typically ending in a definite result : a baseball game.
and "play" is:
1 [intrans.] engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose : the children were playing outside | her friends were playing with their dolls.
• [ trans. ] engage in (a game or activity) for enjoyment : I want to play Monopoly.
• amuse oneself by engaging in imaginative pretense : the boys were playing cops and robbers.
Crispin says a "game" is:
danger, conflict, enemies, a story, obstacles a health bar, bosses
and if it's about diving:
worry about your air supply
occasional fish at least tried to eat you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom