• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust Early Access Thread - Rock Out With Your Cock Out

kubus

R2lgo8R.png

WARNING! This game contains cavemen themed nudity and small penises.

THIS GAME IS IN ALPHA!!​
Facepunch Studios said:
“We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.”

NIHhAQ9.png

State: Alpha - Active Development (Early Access)
Developer: Facepunch Studios
Game Type: First person, multiplayer-only survival game
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX (scroll to FAQ)
Price: $19.99 / €18,99 / £14.99
Engine: Unity3D

Description:
Rust is a survival game created by Facepunch Studios. Inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker – Rust aims to create a hostile environment in which emergent gameplay can flourish.

The aim of the game is to survive. To do this the player should gather resources. Hitting a tree with a rock will give you wood, hitting a rock with a rock will give you rock and ore. You can then craft
a hatchet from the wood and rock, allowing you to gather faster. You can go out and hunt a variety of wildlife such as boars, chickens, rabbits, bears, wolves and deer. Once you have killed an
animal you can butcher it to gather its meat and skin. You can craft a fire using wood and cook the meat inside the fire. Then you can eat.

Players will have to build their own houses using gathered resources where they can stash their loot and stay safe from danger. At first you will only have a small shed to hide in, later you can
build entire bases with barricades, multiple rooms, stairways, reinforced doors and more to keep raiders out.

You face two major dangers in game.

Rust is a multiplayer game, so there will be other players trying to survive in the same way that you are. Unfortunately for you they can find you, kill you and take your stuff. Fortunately for you – you
can kill them and take their stuff. Or maybe you can make friends and help each other survive. Rust’s world is harsh – so you might need to make friends to survive.

The environment is not kind. Bears and wolves will chase and kill you. Falling from a height will kill you. Being exposed to radiation for an extended period will kill you. Starving will kill you. Being
cold will kill you.​

FMvkrs9.png

Rust currently exists in two forms: (Old) "Rust", and "Experimental Rust". The first is the Rust we have all come to know and love: the original game. Experimental Rust is the same game but
being build with new code, new UI, new graphics, animations, everything! The devs are basically recreating Rust from scratch, but by starting over they can make it much better than if they would
keep working with the old version.

When you start Rust, you will have the option to choose between both versions.

2014-06-20_20-14-35.png

It is advised to play normal Rust until Experimental has been updated enough to become playable.

Experimental Rust is updated weekly on Fridays. Follow the Rust Dev Blog to see what changes are being made.

The information, screenshots and videos in this post are all from the original Rust version. Once Experimental Rust becomes the main version, this OT will also be overhauled to reflect the changes made in the new version.

OL60Y0o.png

NEWBIE GUIDE:
So you bought Rust and have no idea where to start? Here's some useful tips that can get you started:​

• Gather wood by hitting trees or piles of wood with your stone. Gather stones and ores by hitting stones with your stone (you got that?)
  • You can gather (much) faster if you craft a Stone Hatchet. Piles of wood will also give much more wood than trees (7-10 wood per hit)
  • Hunt animals for food. Just hit the corpse with your stone or hatchet to gather resources from them, such as cloth and raw meat.
  • You can find the crafting menu at the top of the screen when you press TAB.
  • The Hunting Bow is a great beginner's weapon.
  • Cook food by holding E while looking at your camp fire and select "Open". Just pressing E will start/extinguish the fire. Drag your raw meat onto the "Cooking" slots.
  • Press F1 and enter "grass.on false" if you have trouble seeing small animals. This will disable tall grass. Also useful for spotting other players.
  • Build your shelter in a secluded place, but make sure you can find your way back.
  • Placing a sleeping mat will make that your spawn place when you die (make sure you choose "Spawn at a camp" when that happens).

MAPS:
There is no official map of Rust, but these two should help you on your way. One is Satellite view, one is custom made. (Right Click, View Image for full size).
You can also use this interactive map.​

mtAJAbR.png

SCREENSHOTS:

VIDEOS:

yO6sRa7.png

Q: Does this game work on Mac?
A: It is currently quite unstable on Mac OS. Some users have reported having no problems, others can't get into the game at all as it hangs on the Loading screen. Purchase with caution.

Q: Can't see shit, captain!
A: Open the console by pressing F1, enter "grass.on false". Tada, you have unlocked chicken and rabbits. In Experimental Rust, you can't disable grass.

Q: I don't have friends. Can I play this solo?
A: Definitely, but it will be tough. Make sure you live somewhere secluded and be very cautious. Try to avoid confrontation at all times, and you'll do fine.

Q: Does it have zombies?
A: Not anymore. The developers don't want to make a DayZ clone so they removed zombies. They haven't announced yet what they will be replaced with, but concept art hints at mutant-like creatures.

Q: Does it support third person?
A: No, the game is only in first person. Sorry, you can't look at your own dick. In Experimental Rust, you are able to play in third person though!

Q: Will the price go up during development?
A: Facepunch has no plans to raise the price once they're done.

Q: Do I need to pay for Experimental Rust?
A: No, when you start Rust you can choose between both versions. Both versions will continue to exist, even when Experimental Rust becomes the "official" version.

Q: Should I wait for a sale?
A: It won't go on sale until the game is out of Alpha. You should only buy it if you want to test and take part in the development process.​

snLzCCn.png

Thread title credit goes to voodooray!

Great OT, spending some time in Day-Z atm, but will check out soon enough. What would some people say needs to be implemented or fixed in Rust?

jem0208

Great OT, spending some time in Day-Z atm, but will check out soon enough. What would some people say needs to be implemented or fixed in Rust?

There is a lot which still needs to be implemented. The basics are there and they are pretty solid but there are so many little features which need adding. Currently, only the person who places a door is able to open/close said door. There is no way to add people to a "trusted list" or something similar. This is desperately needed as it makes creating group bases ridiculously fiddly. Each player needs their own separate entrance, and good luck if you have interior doorways.

It's also very unpolished and quite buggy. The animations especially need a lot of work. As do the draw distances.

However that said it is still ridiculously fun. I bought it today and have already spent 7 hours roaming around the map with my friends. We're currently trying to get enough resources to create a lot of satchel charges. We have a little vendetta against a certain someone on our server and we're looking to take him out sometime soon.

For me the biggest gripe is the god-awful draw distance. Went out into a field to gather supplies and got lost because I couldn't see the base anymore, even though I couldn't of been more than a few hundred yards away.

Still it's a fun and amusing game so far.

voodooray

For me the biggest gripe is the god-awful draw distance. Went out into a field to gather supplies and got lost because I couldn't see the base anymore, even though I couldn't of been more than a few hundred yards away.

Still it's a fun and amusing game so far.

Have you tried turning off grass from console? grass.on false Its damn difficult to spot stuff that's far away without it.

Damn fine thread kubus :)

Yeah, I've had the same problem before. If you need to leave your base, it's vital that you learn the nearby landmarks. Also, take screenshots in every direction.

kubus

Thanks everyone! It's my first attempt at an OT.

Also if anyone has screenshots that I can add to the OP that would be great. There are almost no "gameplay" screenshots available :/.

Jay Fray

I'll try it and see what it does. But would it really help me see a three story building?

No. The draw distance on player objects isn't far and there's nothing you can do to fix that right now.

Edit: Some added server info..
- It's full PVP, so if you want to kill Gaffers you can, and a "Sleeper" server (body persists when you log out.)
- docbon/mickeyknox/myself should be PM'd when you receive the "Incompatible version" error or an update goes we don't catch

Info that doesn't necessarily need to be in the OP: We don't spawn items or force airdrops and I'm looking at maybe modifying the loot tables to make things a bit more fun.

Tan

Thinking more and more about this game but a friend of mine was saying hackers are pretty rampant? Is that true? I thought there was just some server issues/ddos going on.

antonz

Thinking more and more about this game but a friend of mine was saying hackers are pretty rampant? Is that true? I thought there was just some server issues/ddos going on.

Since they use Valves VAC system it can become an issue on a lot of servers. VAC can take upto 3 months to ban people

syko de4d

argh bought the game because of this thread. I need to stop to buy early access games. Already have DayZ, Starbound, Dream, Godus, Blade Symphony, Stonehearth and now Rust xD

Alight GAF, I'm wanting to get Rust or DayZ. But I'm on the fence to which one I want.

I usually game by myself on my PC 80% of the time. (I play most MP games with my friends on the Xbox.) The other 20% of the time on the PC it's with friends on the PC, but we rarely are on at the same time, etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards DayZ just because it seems less brutal. Being able to get looted and killed while being offline seems a bit extreme to me. I don't know too much deep info about each title, and was wondering what the main differences are. What do you guys like better?

jem0208

Alight GAF, I'm wanting to get Rust or DayZ. But I'm on the fence to which one I want.

I usually game by myself on my PC 80% of the time. (I play most MP games with my friends on the Xbox.) The other 20% of the time on the PC it's with friends on the PC, but we rarely are on at the same time, etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards DayZ just because it seems less brutal. Being able to get looted and killed while being offline seems a bit extreme to me. I don't know too much deep info about each title, and was wondering what the main differences are. What do you guys like better?

I personally think Rust is better. It has a greater focus on player interaction which I think is much more interesting than being killed by AI. Base building is also great. Having a feud between two camps is so much fun. I spent about an hour attacking a base today.

antonz

Dayz is rust without any building elements basically which means you get geared up at an airfield then spend the whole time paranoid you are going to die with nothing else to do but hide and stalk players.

Rust you can at least build a base etc while being paranoid someone is out to get you.

Tenck

Rust is a much better game. You spawn with nothing but some medkits, a torch, and a rock. The rock alone helps you gather materials for everything you need. Wood to make a fireplace, wood to build a shack, use it to kill animals, even use it to kill other players.

In DayZ you spawn with nothing but clothing and you're paranoid trying to salvage the very little loot that's on the server. In Rust you at least have a chance of defending yourself since you can easily craft your tools.

Honestly, I find it the opposite, I find DayZ to be the more brutal of the two games, granted my experience with Rust is tiny compared to dayz. 12 hours of Rust compared to several hundreds of hours in DayZ between the mod and SA. In what little time I have played I found the Rust community a little more friendly than the DayZ community. Though the DayZ community was a change over time from the beginning of the mod till now, with the community becoming more and more brutal, Rust could easily follow the same path.

I think dollar for dollar right now, Rust offers more than DayZ, however I have a better understanding of DayZ's road map of the future than Rust but again that has largely to do with just me being more familiar with DayZ.

Given the CURRENT state of both games, I find it easier to be solo in DayZ than in Rust IF you know what your doing, ironically enough DayZ is the game that requires interactions between two players to achieve some tasks while I do not know of any currently in Rust. The reason I say this is because in DayZ you can carry everything you would need on your character, which in the current state of SA you have to as players can not build houses and store items in tents in DayZ, where you can build houses in Rust.

These houses however can be broken into, and it will take some time to gather the necessary supplies and knowledge to build a house that you could leave safely while you are not playing (for a limited duration). So I guess what I am getting at is that I fear Rust is more unbalanced than DayZ is, where I feel in Rust a new player will be hard pressed to make any progress in a populated server with an organized group of bandits, where as in DayZ the new player has a chance at surviving and making in roads to further success. Again this is largely up to my personal experience.

So now that I have rambled on, I'll leave you with this. If you want a more fleshed out experience RIGHT NOW Rust offers more. However in my opinion and this will be controversial DayZ would be the better buy/game in the long run.

For now, DayZ is nothing but a terribly controlling, 225km2 deathmatch with like 3 guns and some Payday masks.

Rust is where anyone who wants to play a game that succeeds the DayZ mod's emergent game design is going.

Edit:
And don't listen to Littleworm, he's still in the throws of Stockholm syndrome

Also, add this vid to the op
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97_TFLYVYU

For now, DayZ is nothing but a terribly controlling, 225km2 deathmatch with like 3 guns and some Payday masks.

Rust is where anyone who wants to play a game that succeeds the DayZ mod's emergent game design is going.

Edit:
And don't listen to Littleworm, he's still in the throws of Stockholm syndrome

Also, add this vid to the op
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97_TFLYVYU

:p Come at me Mickey, you'll be crawling back when it's all said and done.
Though if it wasn't for you I would still be trying to smash other players skulls in with rocks and getting no where.

Sanjuro

So, what is the purpose of a GAF server when the people playing are either not from GAF or complete cunts?

Game is basically a time consuming Halo.

antonz

So, what is the purpose of a GAF server when the people playing are either not from GAF or complete cunts?

Game is basically a time consuming Halo.

Right now we cant hide the server so have to deal with outsiders. We were trying to keep things a little nicer overall especially so we wouldn't drive new players away but there's no way to control people so they try to be a bit nicer.

If loot table ends up changed as far as explosives go it will make base raiding at least require more thought and effort but the outside world is an area we cant control much. server has gotten more and more violent towards even naked newbies

Sanjuro

I had one guy who is using exploits of some sort, but he killed me three times in a row almost instantly from spawn. Of course, once mentioned I get the general internet fuckwad rational.

antonz

I had one guy who is using exploits of some sort, but he killed me three times in a row almost instantly from spawn. Of course, once mentioned I get the general internet fuckwad rational.

yeah we really need to get all gaffers to register that they play/ if we cant hide the server we can at least ban people off it who insist on being dicks

I would be worried if it just became a completely friendly server. It takes away some of the tension with meeting new people. I agree that killing people who have just spawned is a dick move though. Still have not killed anyone! A dude helped me as I was being chased by a bear
KuGsj.gif

Omega

Banned
I'm watching summit stream this on twitch, he said if you log out people can raid your house and take your shit.

Is this accurate? because this sounds like the dumbest thing ever.

antonz

I would be worried if it just became a completely friendly server. It takes away some of the tension with meeting new people. I agree that killing people who have just spawned is a dick move though. Still have not killed anyone! A dude helped me as I was being chased by a bear
KuGsj.gif

Oh there is no issue with there being violence on the server. Its part of the game but there is a line between playing it right and going too far to where it becomes just straight up griefing

Sanjuro

No problem with it either. Problem here is you have people on the server right now teaming up, who aren't from the forum, and using exploits.

Kind of an instant buzzkill.

Just wanted to also pitch in, I think if you're jumping in alone you'll definitely find Rust the less brutal experience. DayZ is basically KOS at this point, Rust is much more conducive of cooperation.

Nice OT btw, good info for new players. GAF server will get really interesting when they allow private servers me thinks.

elco

Anyone have any success running the Linux client? I hopped on this the other day as I gather Linux will be supported? Currently I am plagued with an ugly bug when rendering the sky. Best way to describe it would be there is no sky texture at all, and instead as you look around, then tree/ground/rock textures are rendered the sky background. I wouldn't be too alarmed as this is alpha after all, however I believe I read there isn't any active testing on the Linux client. If this the case, I would be happy to provide feedback to the team if someone can point me in the right direction (irc chan, dev forums, etc). I hope there are plans to iron this stuff out for the Linux version as well.

Also not sure if the DDOS issue has been resolved yet (exploiting a bug in some part of the stack?), but I have access to a server/datacenter and should be able to provide some assistance/troubleshooting if needed.

Sanjuro

Anyone have any success running the Linux client? I hopped on this the other day as I gather Linux will be supported? Currently I am plagued with an ugly bug when rendering the sky. Best way to describe it would be there is no sky texture at all, and instead as you look around, then tree/ground/rock textures are rendered the sky background. I wouldn't be too alarmed as this is alpha after all, however I believe I read there isn't any active testing on the Linux client. If this the case, I would be happy to provide feedback to the team if someone can point me in the right direction (irc chan, dev forums, etc). I hope there are plans to iron this stuff out for the Linux version as well.

Also not sure if the DDOS issue has been resolved yet (exploiting a bug in some part of the stack?), but I have access to a server/datacenter and should be able to provide some assistance/troubleshooting if needed.

If the Linux client is anything like the OSX, long way to go. I'm on Bootcamp 8.1 for a average performance.

I personally think Rust is better. It has a greater focus on player interaction which I think is much more interesting than being killed by AI. Base building is also great. Having a feud between two camps is so much fun. I spent about an hour attacking a base today.

Dayz is rust without any building elements basically which means you get geared up at an airfield then spend the whole time paranoid you are going to die with nothing else to do but hide and stalk players.

Rust you can at least build a base etc while being paranoid someone is out to get you.

Rust is a much better game. You spawn with nothing but some medkits, a torch, and a rock. The rock alone helps you gather materials for everything you need. Wood to make a fireplace, wood to build a shack, use it to kill animals, even use it to kill other players.

In DayZ you spawn with nothing but clothing and you're paranoid trying to salvage the very little loot that's on the server. In Rust you at least have a chance of defending yourself since you can easily craft your tools.

Honestly, I find it the opposite, I find DayZ to be the more brutal of the two games, granted my experience with Rust is tiny compared to dayz. 12 hours of Rust compared to several hundreds of hours in DayZ between the mod and SA. In what little time I have played I found the Rust community a little more friendly than the DayZ community. Though the DayZ community was a change over time from the beginning of the mod till now, with the community becoming more and more brutal, Rust could easily follow the same path.

I think dollar for dollar right now, Rust offers more than DayZ, however I have a better understanding of DayZ's road map of the future than Rust but again that has largely to do with just me being more familiar with DayZ.

Given the CURRENT state of both games, I find it easier to be solo in DayZ than in Rust IF you know what your doing, ironically enough DayZ is the game that requires interactions between two players to achieve some tasks while I do not know of any currently in Rust. The reason I say this is because in DayZ you can carry everything you would need on your character, which in the current state of SA you have to as players can not build houses and store items in tents in DayZ, where you can build houses in Rust.

These houses however can be broken into, and it will take some time to gather the necessary supplies and knowledge to build a house that you could leave safely while you are not playing (for a limited duration). So I guess what I am getting at is that I fear Rust is more unbalanced than DayZ is, where I feel in Rust a new player will be hard pressed to make any progress in a populated server with an organized group of bandits, where as in DayZ the new player has a chance at surviving and making in roads to further success. Again this is largely up to my personal experience.

So now that I have rambled on, I'll leave you with this. If you want a more fleshed out experience RIGHT NOW Rust offers more. However in my opinion and this will be controversial DayZ would be the better buy/game in the long run.

Just wanted to also pitch in, I think if you're jumping in alone you'll definitely find Rust the less brutal experience. DayZ is basically KOS at this point, Rust is much more conducive of cooperation.

Thanks for the responses guys. As of right now I'm leaning towards Rust even though it'll probably be a few brutal hours to learn what's going on. I do like the 'Minecraft' aspect in base building. How many are in a world, or does it vary?

kubus

Thanks for the responses guys. As of right now I'm leaning towards Rust even though it'll probably be a few brutal hours to learn what's going on. I do like the 'Minecraft' aspect in base building. How many are in a world, or does it vary?
You mean how many players on a server?

I started playing on a "noobfriendly" instacraft server with a low population (around 20 players max) to learn the ropes and try things out. I wasn't attacked/raided once, but maybe that's because I cleverly hid my house far away from the road and tried to avoid confrontations with other players. The people on the chat helped me with all my questions and within 30 min I had a good grasp of the game mechanics.

I heard DayZ has really confusing controls but Rust is incredibly easy and intuitive. It works exactly like Minecraft, actually. I think you'll do fine, the game is not as harsh as some people make it out to be. Just avoid the official servers (pretty sure those are filled to the brim (100-120 players) and crawling with hackers and raiders) and play on a small server, or the GAF server.

If you're going to play solo most of the time, I think Rust would be great for you because of the ability to build your own base. Just find a nice hidden spot where players aren't likely to go and stash your stuff somewhere safe. Then you can go out and hunt or raid the civilian bases for loot without the dangers of losing everything. And if you do die, you spawn inside your house again where you can have a backup of most of your tools. It's low risk, as opposed to DayZ.

educator

Jay Fray, are you going to enable plane carrier drops? I think it would add to the fun knowing other people are rushing to the drop at the same time -- a good adrenaline kick once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Jay Fray, are you going to enable plane carrier drops? I think it would add to the fun knowing other people are rushing to the drop at the same time -- a good adrenaline kick once in a while wouldn't hurt.

They're enabled at 15 players on the server, it might need to be triggered manually to enforce it though.

educator

They're enabled at 15 players on the server, it might need to be triggered manually to enforce it though.

Great, I haven't seen one yet so I thought maybe he had disabled it. Do you know how to trigger it manually? Also, the Gaf server is the only server I can't connect to at the moment, anyone else having that issue right now?

Top Bottom