• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

CM Punk 'quits WWE' just weeks before Wrestlemania 30 - Independent.co.uk

Wrestler reportedly said he is 'going home'

CHRISTOPHER HOOTON - Wednesday 29 January 2014

CM Punk, arguably the WWE's biggest star, appears to have retired from the company, reportedly telling bosses he is 'going home', being removed from future wrestling events and thanking fans for their 'support' on Twitter.

The wrestler has had numerous run-ins with the promotion's chairman Vince McMahon in the past and it seems an undisclosed straw broke the camel's back on Monday night, with F4WOnline.com reporting that Punk – real name Phillip Jack Brooks – announced that he was going home ahead of an edition of weekly show RAW.

Punk missed this scheduled appearance and also his next at a Smackdown event in Toledo, Ohio the following day, with his name having now been removed from all future events (bar Elimination Chamber) on the WWE website.

This comes just weeks before the promotion's biggest annual event, Wrestlemania, which will take place in New Orleans on April 6.

Furthermore, Punk has been sending out cryptic tweets to his followers the past week, culminating in the ominous "Thanks for all the support. Keep being you guys, it's pretty cool," which came on Monday night and was not in reference to any in-ring action.

The wrestler's contract with the WWE is due to expire in July and many believe he will not renew it, with Punk previously stating "everything is up in the air" amid fears he is battling injures and generally burning out.

The reports should be taken with a whole vat of salt however, given wrestlers' propensity to announce their retirement only to return at a later date.

Either way, it has not been a good week for the WWE, with former ambassador and wrestling legend Mick Foley tweeting on Monday that he was 'disgusted' with the company after its most recent pay-per-view, Royal Rumble.
Top Star Pulled from All WWE Dates Going Forward Following RAW Meeting - PWInsider.com

By Mike Johnson on 2014-01-29 02:10:09

Former WWE and World champion CM Punk has been pulled from all advertising of WWE live events going forward after a meeting with WWE management yesterday at the Raw taping in Cleveland, Ohio.
We have been working on details for the last 24 hours (as Dave Scherer and I noted on our respective Elite audios earlier today), but the belief among those who are willing to talk about the situation is that Punk is no longer factored into company plans. Punk is under contract to WWE through July.

Punk was slated to face Triple H at Wrestlemania 30. This past Monday's Raw instead began teasing Daniel Bryan vs. HHH down the line, possibly for Wrestlemania.

We have heard from several sources that the original script for yesterday's Raw called for Punk to wrestle Antonio Cesaro and lose after Kane interfered, allowing Cesaro to qualify for the Elimination Chamber. It should be noted that another source has denied that and claimed that Punk was never booked to wrestle last night and was only booked to do a promo that would follow up on Kane causing Punk's elimination from the Rumble. But, Punk was originally slated to be on Raw and those segments were yanked. He was not backstage during the taping and was not backstage at Smackdown.

It is believed that when Vince McMahon had the writers re-write Raw late yesterday (6 PM for a taping that was scheduled to start at 7:45 PM), it was because Punk had informed the company he was going home and wouldn't be back.

While we cannot 100% confirm why, the belief among wrestlers backstage is that Punk leaving was not an injury issue. It was described to us as more likely a case of burnout and unhappiness with the overall direction of the company. Punk had been very vocal in the past about the usage of returning and "part time" stars being pushed beyond wrestlers who were working full-time for the company.

In his interview with Ariel Helwani last week, Punk talked about the crazy schedule he's held up working for the company over the last decade. Punk said that he's been doing it ten years and doesn't know anyone else who can say that. He said that he's only taken time off for injuries and that when he took two months off in 2013, it may not have been long enough.

Punk, who worked about 50 minutes in the Royal Rumble match was described as "pissy" after the PPV, although that wouldn't be an unusual description of Punk's demeanor backstage.

One source believed that since Punk's last goal was to work a Wrestlemania main event, it may also be a situation where Punk realized it wasn't going to happen this year and with his WWE deal expiring in July, that may have weighed down upon him because he was so goal driven and this was one he couldn't accomplish because of elements that were outside of his control.

In the interview with Helwani, Punk was asked about WWE killing his momentum at times and why such things happen. Punk responded that he'd like to think they don't make those decisions on purpose and it's more they wanted to go in another decision. He claimed it's a different era and different time and it can't be looked at the same way he did when he was a kid.

Yesterday, Punk wrote on Twitter, "Thanks for all the support. Keep being you guys, it's pretty cool."

Depending on how you read the statement, it could be taken as a cryptic farewell.

We'll obviously update more as we confirm additional details.

CM Punk's Infamous Pipebomb Shoot Promo - June 27th, 2011

pipe%20bomb2.jpg

The reason I’m leaving is you people. Because after I’m gone, you’re still going to pour money into this company. I’m just a spoke on the wheel. The wheel is going to keep turning and I understand that. Vince McMahon is going to make money despite himself. He’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he’s not a billionaire? Because he surrounds himself with glad-handed, non-sensical, douchebag yes men, like John Laurinaitis, who’s going to tell him everything he wants to hear, and I’d like to think that maybe this company will better after Vince McMahon is dead. But the fact is, it’s going to be taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.

CM Punk's 2nd Pipebomb Shoot Promo - January 7th, 2013 (featuring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson)

cm_punk_the_rock_raw-650x411.png

CM Punk's Final Media Interview with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani - January 23rd, 2014 (recorded in his kitchen)

punkurn.jpg

CM Punk Shares His Views on His State of Mind, His Health & WrestleMania Booking - January 24th, 2014 (comments from his Q&A Panel at the Wizard World Comic Convention in Portland)
Full Audio Log of the Q&A Panel

CMPunk-January24th_zpsbcdf9f59.png

CM Punk's Twitter Account

tumblr_n04bhrtymO1riv2hho1_500.jpg

Pavaloo

iz dis a werk

edit: I think Punk said he liked that Batista was coming back because he was signed up for a 2 year deal and house shows and what not.

To be honest, with how he's been performing since SummerSlam, it's best he leaves. Hopefully the air gets cleared and he comes back eventually, but even if it did tomorrow, he should still take like a year off.

Maddocks

CM Punk....genius. He becomes a part time guy and thus becomes a champion with zero build up while getting brock lesner money.

I'm guessing Bryan will take Punk's spot in the company and officially become the de facto #2 guy behind John Cena. I mean, he was already kind of up there anyways.This is great news for fans of Daniel Bryan. Awful news for all fans of good wrestling though.

I have conflicting feeling about CM Punk. I recognize that he pours his heart and soul into his work, but he also constantly comes off as a huge jerk, on and off screen.

I won't miss him, but I'll miss what he was striving for. (More attention for full timers and new talent, and not the constant parade of "guest stars" given choice matches/storylines.)

Seijuro

innovative fourth wall breaking storytelling.

I think so too. Wasn't there a very similar story running through the dirt sheets after the original pipe-bomb promo in 2011? Like, Punk got suspended by Vince?

Don't think he would leave right before the WM payday....

Trojan X

Banned
Shit. I know the company is full of politics, nepotism, and he has been 100% right on many things that he said, but... I didn't expect him to walk out. Must have been nasty.

I hope Ring of Honor suddenly explodes and become a true rival to WWE because right now, rivalry is needed to get WWE back on track and make wrestling interesting for everyone.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If it were a work I feel like they'd have a better explanation for him quitting than burn out and lack of advancement opportunity for himself.

I'm guessing Bryan will take Punk's spot in the company and officially become the de facto #2 guy behind John Cena. I mean, he was already kind of up there anyways.This is great news for fans of Daniel Bryan. Awful news for all fans of good wrestling though.

Except Bryan is shit on the mic. He truly is Benoit 2.0

The kid is a genius in the ring, but stick a mic in his hand and he's a mess. Hate HHH all you want, but he destroys him everytime they exchange words. Punk always had great come backs.

I truly hope this is a work because otherwise I feel like just being done even as the part time fan I am these days.

Punk (and Bryan and Ziggler) are really the only guys I get excited to see and they keep being pushed aside at the weirdest intervals. I'm not really sure where this company is going but I don't see myself going there with them.

Hasney

The kid is a genius in the ring, but stick a mic in his hand and he's a mess. Hate HHH all you want, but he destroys him everytime they exchange words. Punk always had great come backs.

Yet the crowds fail to give a shit, so why should anyone else if he's over and people want to hear him talk, skills or not?

I miss the attitude era. Ever since they broke up the Dudleys and the APA I pretty much said fuck this and never watched again. Thats around 2002 right? Wow.

UberTag

If this isn't a work I have no reason to watch anymore...
For what it's worth none of the guys who write for the online wrestling sheets are treating this like a work.
CM Punk's saved up a lot of money over the years and has been overworked and unmotivated of late.

They're only surprised that he's quitting now instead of when his contract was up in July due to how lucrative WrestleMania season typically is but given the lack of communication by the WWE brass on how WrestleMania payouts will work this year (the Network goes live right after the Elimination Chamber) it's not like Punk knew how much that was going to amount to anyway.

Network subscriptions have to offset both the lack of PPV buys and DVD/BluRay sales and nobody has communicated to the talent how their take will be impacted.
If Punk doesn't need the money, I can certainly see why he wouldn't bother sticking around.

Hasney

Yeah last I knew Hardy was all kinds of fucked up on drugs and in legal trouble. Did he ever come back? What about Matt Hardy.

WWE-wise, Jeff returned twice after his first departure, Matt once after being fired during the whole Lita thing.

That's entirely because of the character Bryan's currently playing - yeah, he's not a charismatic wise-cracker like Punk, but he has fire and intensity that can lend a lot of weight to his promo work, it's just a shame that at present he's having to play up the happy-go-lucky, goofy vegan role to such a degree.

Trojan X said:
I hope Ring of Honor suddenly explodes and become a true rival to WWE because right now, rivalry is needed to get WWE back on track and make wrestling interesting for everyone.

ROH has too many of its own problems for them to ever become a viable competitor, but I agree, a lack of competition breeds complacency and what we really need right now is another WCW to light a fire under Vince's ass.

Trojan X

Banned
Walking out on less popular companies

Not true. He is having a time out until TNA finishes their European tour. The walkout was just a work cover story. Personally, I think that work cover story done more damage than good when you consider AJ Styles and Sting whom has left the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom