• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since January 1st, 110 people have been shot in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoopKid

CHICAGO -- On average, one person has been shot every three hours in Chicago since January 1st.
Just two hours into the New Year, 24-year-old Deandre Holiday was gunned down after a fight at a New Year's Eve party spilled into the street. He's Chicago's first homicide of what's so far been a bloody 2016.
Since January 1st, 110 people have been shot -- compared to 37 during the same time last year. That's a nearly 200 percent increase.

In terms of crime, it's been a little bit of a frustrating start," said John Escalante, the acting superintendent of police. His predecessor, Garry McCarthy, was fired in December.
"A lot of it is gang conflicts, but also heavily driven by social media," Escalante said.
What police call "modern gang graffiti," are essentially taunting messages from alleged gang members challenging each other on Facebook and Twitter.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-shootings-up-nearly-200-percent-in-2016/

Ms.Galaxy

The state with lax gun laws is literally 10 or so miles away from the city, Chicago's strict gun laws are pointless with that in mind.

Kaladin

"A lot of it is gang conflicts, but also heavily driven by social media," Escalante said.
What police call "modern gang graffiti," are essentially taunting messages from alleged gang members challenging each other on Facebook and Twitter.

So basically stupid shit that no amount of gun laws would change.

Not

Banned
If you think less guns in circulation wouldn't reduce the current scale of gang violence whatsoever, wow

Mii

Banned
Is there a point when a state of emergency can be declared? When the Army can roll into the south side?

Not

Banned
Is there a point when a state of emergency can be declared? When the Army can roll into the south side?

Never too thrilled to see the army march into a predominantly black area, whatever the situation. "Collateral damage" probably wouldn't begin to describe it.

Daingurse

Sounds about right unfortunately. Gunfire was so common when I lived on the southside in 07-08. Remember dropping to the floor a lot.

Combine incredibly active street gangs and the most corrupt police, mayor, and city government in the country...

Hmm

What could possibly go wrong

Hip Hop

Combine incredibly active street gangs and the most corrupt police, mayor, and city government in the country...

Hmm

What could possibly go wrong

Yup.

That place needs a clean up, from the people to the government, and it's not gun laws that I'd be looking at first.

I had an acquaintance (now in prison) from Tennessee who would buy guns cheap locally for like $100 a pop then drive them in bulk to places like the greater Chicago area to sell illegally for 3x-4x. He tried to get me involved as an 'investment' (I didn't). Just an FYI to the people who think "see, gun laws don't work!" Yeah, they don't work, when people are easily picking them up elsewhere to transport into the city.

Have cops cut back on patrols, stop and frisks, etc? I have to wonder if cops feel under siege and have decided to pull back and let citizens see what happens when they do.

No, I'm not defending it (if its even true, I have no idea) just seems like it would be the smart thing to do - get people scared, then the majority will support you no matter what you do.

I wonder how much of this revolves around the drug trade too.

FtsH

Didn't the news say it's mainly gangs fighting each other? Without guns they can still fight with whatever cold weapons they have.

Mii

Banned
to do what, exactly?

Additional people to practically act as neighborhood watch. Possibly also improved medical urgency for those shot. I also imagine hospitals are overwhelmed at this point so perhaps triage stations.

You need education, job and family to solve social problems like this, not army.

Your solution takes decades. Also the jobs may never return. There are things that can be done now.

If gang violence is the issue, you need to raise the cost on gangs operating to where they crumble. Relative to the population there is a small % causing havoc. If Chicago PD or the local government can't, some other entity needs to offer assistance.

Nuu

Banned
IIRC Chicago managed to have their murder rates decline significantly in 2013 and it declined again in 2014. What happened exactly for this abrupt turnaround to happen?

DiscoJer

I had an acquaintance (now in prison) from Tennessee who would buy guns cheap locally for like $100 a pop then drive them in bulk to places like the greater Chicago area to sell illegally for 3x-4x. He tried to get me involved as an 'investment' (I didn't). Just an FYI to the people who think "see, gun laws don't work!" Yeah, they don't work, when people are easily picking them up elsewhere to transport into the city.

If he was buying guns for $100 a pop, they were most likely stolen or not from a gun store or legit dealer. Pretty much the cheapest new gun you can get is $150 and is kinda crappy.

Beyond that, unless you seal the borders of the country, there will always be a source for guns. If gangs can get drugs, which are illegal everywhere, basically, then they can get guns from the same route.

Ultimately we need to reduce the demand for guns. Like drugs, the supply will likely always be there.

rrs

Chicago is like an hour or two away from Indiana and Wisconsin, two conservative states, along with everything outside of Chicago being farmland and equally conservative as said states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom