• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disc Jam Beta Now Available for PS4

JambiBum

I'm just going to paste the press release from the PS Blog here because I'm lazy.

PS Blog

Hey folks! Tim and Jay here from High Horse Entertainment. We're thrilled to announce the online beta test for Disc Jam, an action sports game for 1-4 players! During our alpha phase, the top two requests we received were ”Please do a PS4 Beta!" and ”Please add doubles!" So today, we're announcing both!

32524716250_71a4ef8a89_h.jpg

Throughout development, it's been critical for matchmaking that we only offer the singles mode (1v1) to help players around the world find opponents with a good connection. Now that Disc Jam is nearing completion, and with the hopes of getting some solid stress testing on our network, we are activating singles and doubles for the PS4 beta. In addition, we've made some exciting new changes to the mode including an updated court, as well as a complete overhaul to the pass mechanic.

When we initially implemented doubles, we wanted to see whether the mode would be fun in exactly the same play space as singles. Our assumption was that the additional player would add tension to the frantic pace on offense. With the passing mechanic, players could set up more powerful offensive shots which we believed would compensate for the extra defender.

This was true for the most part, but it became quite clear during high-end tournament play that some adjustments were needed. The singles court was simply too small to make defending your end zone as challenging as it should be. After some tweaking, a simple widening of the court by a few feet proved to be a simple and effective solution. This small adjustment to the play space compensates incredibly well for the extra player (not unlike the sport of tennis).

Another issue we had with doubles was the first implementation of the pass mechanic. Our main problem was that there wasn't any significant punishment for poor timing on a pass. This basically created a situation where passing was always the optimal strategy. It slowed the game down and directly opposed our key design pillars: positioning and timing.

32524716150_2e16f8a626_h.jpg

To address this, we redesigned passing so that your timing is graded just like the other throws in the game. Your teammate can now only throw as hard as the incoming pass, so a poorly timed pass to your teammate at the net will severely hamper their offensive power. With this new implementation, choosing to pass is a much more strategic decision which includes a layer of difficulty that the previous mechanic lacked. However, if executed properly, the pass mechanic is still quite powerful, enabling teams to charge the net and maximize their offensive potential!

It has been very important for us that singles and doubles each feel like first-class citizens in Disc Jam. We want to ensure that both modes remain competitive and that both lone wolves and team players have a home. So far, we have heard great feedback on both modes with many players gravitating to one or the other, but enjoying both. We believe these simple yet game-changing updates have made doubles a unique experience without straying too far from Disc Jam's core gameplay. Of course, we may just have our ”developer blinders" on, so we hope you'll join us in the beta and share your thoughts!

We are accepting signups for the PlayStation 4 beta on our website
, so be sure to hit the link below and keep an eye on your inbox!

If you sign up now you get an invite pretty much right away. The beta is also available on PC and has been for a while now. PC beta sign up is also on their website. I've put over 150 hours into the beta alone and I'm pretty excited for Tim and Jay to release it on PS4 to get more eyes on something they've worked very hard on.

JambiBum

And done! Never got around to playing a match on PC unfortunately. Hope it's fun!
There's a tutorial and advanced tutorial now so be sure to do those. I don't think there's crossplay yet but they will be adding it eventually. Interested to know what the population on ps4 will be.

I've played around 18 hours of this on PC, it's definitely fun, although I don't find the aesthetic too appealing. There can be huge skill gaps between players online, expect most matches to be stomps one way or the other, but when you do find someone of equal skill the long rallies can get very intense.

Yes and no. It's obviously inspired by wind jammers but the different perspective changes things up quite a bit.
Well-made game as it is, Disc Jam's perspective shift genuinely doesn't add anything to the formula. It's just sort of there to make it look different at first glance only.

I've played around 18 hours of this on PC, it's definitely fun, although I don't find the aesthetic too appealing. There can be huge skill gaps between players online, expect most matches to be stomps one way or the other, but when you do find someone of equal skill the long rallies can get very intense.
Yeah, the visuals (and soundtrack) lack quirky charisma.

Loving the game so far except I can't seem to get the curves down without using the triggers, just keep banging it off the wall

Blam

Hopefully unlike the Injustice 2 beta I'll actually be able to try this out.

EDIT: o it's instant in thats awesome.

Carm

Have only done the tutorials so far but my goodness, this game makes my PS4 fan very loud and high pitched.

Guessing this is happening for anyone that doesn't own one of those magical silent PS4s.

Blam

Have only done the tutorials so far but my goodness, this game makes my PS4 fan very loud and high pitched.

Guessing this is happening for anyone that doesn't own one of those magical silent PS4s.

Yeah I mean if you've yet to clean it replacing thermal paste is also a good idea, unless this is the only game that does this then it's on the developers for using the fans at max.

tdwig

Neo Member
I've been having a blast with this game! I hope they go the rocket league route via plus so this game can take off and get some well deserved attention. They've stated that the character models aren't done yet so you can expect improvements in that department.

Edit: Everyone needs to try this game asap!

FatalT

Banned
This is like a tennis version of Rocket League and I'm loving it. I just wish there were more players and they did a better marketing job of the beta.

Alur

I saw it on Twitch and tried it out. Was very fun. Not many were on in singles this time of night in NA so it kept matching me with this same dude and we had some great back and forth battles.

Since getting into beta is instant they really should put that out there more

xviper

this game is awesome, it could be the Super-sonic acrobatic battle cars( the first game before Rocket league) of this generation

i'm having so ,much fun but there is major problems

the match is way too short, they should extend it from 2 rounds to 5

after the match ends in 2vs2, if only one player leaves, you can't play a Rematch and everyone is forced to leave

This is very Windjammers. Not just in concept, but 90% of the little touches and control eccentricities are identical to Windjammers.

That is not a bad thing.

xviper

matchmaking is taking so long, they should release the beta for everyone on the PSN store, i know you can sign up and get it in seconds but most people won't do that and rather download it from the store

also when someone quits, the game ends and that is a BIG problem

GeeTeeCee

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but there's something wonderful about signing up for a beta and having the game downloaded and ready to play, all in the space of ten minutes. It makes a nice change from the usual beta key lotteries and their waiting game.

Assanova

I came in here looking for those old PlayStation Jam demo discs that Sony or Official PlayStation Magazine use to send out...

Murdamonk

Signed and got the beta keys right away.

Played a few games yesterday and got my ass kicked..

But it was really fun... Can't wait to play the full game.

Any idea when it is coming out?

Played my first match 2v2 just now. Was pretty fun but I think it's the type of sports game where I'd need to play quite a bit to get the hang of all its mechanics.

TheKevn

Strikes me as a game that would be smart to launch on ps plus like Rocket League and get a big user game and let word spread. I played it for an hour yesterday and really enjoyed it. Would buy if it were less than 14.99.

xviper

the beta is dead, can't find any match

i think what happened to Super-sonic acrobatic battle cars could happen to this game too

the first game fails and no one knows about it, then years later, they release a sequel that is exactly the same as the first one and yet it becomes a massive hit for no reason

i hope i'm wrong and this game becomes very popular because it deserves it, unlike Rocket league which didn't change or improve a single thing from the first game at all and yet you see people saying that it created a new genre, lol

There are a few people playing. Takes a minute or two to get in to a singles match. This game is pretty fun. I kinda wish shield and shoot were separate buttons.

tr00per

Awww yisss

This was one of the highlights of psx. Glad to see the worked on the passing mechanic. I'll have to test it out now

JambiBum

For anyone that is interested there is a 1v1 PC tourney going on right now on twitch. Here It's a gator only tournament so you won't see any of the other characters.

naib

For anyone that is interested there is a 1v1 PC tourney going on right now on twitch. Here It's a gator only tournament so you won't see any of the other characters.
There are dozens of us. Dozens!

Looking forward to trying this out tonight. Nabbed Steam and PS4 key.

NHale

The developers are really going after the Rocket League style. Even the menu UI is very much like Rocket League.

The game is a lot of fun but finding matches in the beta is quite hard, which leads to the situation of this being DOA. Like Rocket League this would be the kind of game that needs to be on PS+ at launch to gain momentum and a stable community as an online only game.

i think what happened to Super-sonic acrobatic battle cars could happen to this game too

the first game fails and no one knows about it, then years later, they release a sequel that is exactly the same as the first one and yet it becomes a massive hit for no reason

i hope i'm wrong and this game becomes very popular because it deserves it, unlike Rocket league which didn't change or improve a single thing from the first game at all and yet you see people saying that it created a new genre, lol

Joke post?

Unicorn

going back to Super-sonic now after playing Rocket League you can really see and feel what "polish" does to a game. the netcode and physics are smooth and predictable in Rocket League.

This game also needs that much needed polish to make it a mainstay for a lot of people. I do think the core online experience is way better than SARPBC ever was though.

I have almost 600 hours in Rocket League, but this past week I haven't won a single match in ranked so I just feel burned out. Jumping into the beta for this was like playing RL or WindJammers for the first time. There's something magical in here, but there is still a rough edge that I can understand pushing people away after they've put a bit of time in and decide to return to other games or play something else.

I'm excited to see how they polish this up before release, but I think after just 2 hours I"ll be there day one.

M.W.

Yep, getting RL vibes. And just like the RL beta, people need to check this out. It's damn fun!

Top Bottom