• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force offers some of the best spectacle in gaming (4.1 LTTP)

Holy shit, I can't believe I slept on this series. I had seen it before, and vaguely knew what it was about, but I had no idea it was this crazy or this fun. The first level alone, you instantly get introduced to what these games are all about when your small soldier start fighting against hordes of giant ants that dwarf you as they skitter over the environment. The sheer sense of scale is awesome, as the enemies only get bigger and more numerous. And then building start collapsing and you start calling in air strikes as another class. It's the furious intensity of a dual stick shooter within the over-the-top scale and destruction of Godzila or Pacific Rim

The game may be janky and not much of a looker, but the chaos and sense of scale here puts a lot of other games to shame. God of War may have massive titans, but you're always in control here, able to fly to the tops of buildings or even reach the tops of alien ships. The destruction, the size and speed of the hordes you face, the size of bosses, the freedom of movement and weapon loadouts...you're in the middle of completely playable set pieces in every level

And then there are the four very diverse classes, with dozens of their own unique weapons. Choosing a different class makes a level play completely different, and every weapon feels very satisfying to use.

I'm only up to level 11 or 12, fending off a bench landing of towering alien mechs as ally air strikes makes the sky glow orange in their intensity. It's insane, and from what I've seen, not even scratching the surface of what the game throws at you later

Really glad to have finally discovered this series. It makes me even more excited to check out Yakuza 0, it being the other intriguing Japanese game from a series I vaguely know about but never played

Skulldead

Best coop game i played in my life since a long time. Me and my girlfriend (she is not a gamer at all) have played like 130 hour. We are at like 3 mission to finish inferno.

I can't wait for EDF 5 to release !!

Have you tried online ?

Best coop game i played in my life since a long time. Me and my girlfriend (she is not a gamer at all) have played like 130 hour. We are at like 3 mission to finish inferno.

I can't wait for EDF 5 to release !!

Have you tried online ?
Not yet. Only been playing solo at the moment

Yep, it's great. I played through it with my girlfriend a few months ago. She would play Wing Diver while I played Air Raider.

Lots of fun.

I'm on PS4 (had been tempted to go PC to play with GAF friends, but my laptop wouldn't be able to handle this)

What am I missing out on? Mods?

The major thing is usually very stable framerate compared to the consoles(but it can still get janky in the later levels lol).

But yeah, welcome to the EDF. Dont forget to check out the singing emotes. Shit gets emotional when you sing a verse and your squad(AI) follows up to it.

But yeah that game is a blast.

Also if you play fencer, dash cancelling is a game changer.

mugwhump

Killing the huge dropships and watching them slowly sink to the ground before crashing in a massive explosion is awesome.

I wish the explosion hurt you though, running away from that would be fun.

But man, I just CANNOT get into any class besides wing diver. The freedom of movement makes everything else feel sooo slow. Both me and my brother play that class exclusively.

Killing the huge dropships and watching them slowly sink to the ground before crashing in a massive explosion is awesome.
Earlier I played the first level where you can destroy them (where they keep dropping ants) and on the last one, the ship closed back up with me inside. So I blow it up from the inside and the whole thing started tilting like the Inception hallway as it fell to the ground

Markoman

Bought this game in January for 10$. Best 10$ I've ever spent in gaming.
This and Yakuza are real eye-openers for me.

Whenever people say "We don't need more powerful hardware", I look at this game and imagine what it would be like if the devs had a bigger budget and were targetting PC tech.

There's no other game where the shooting is so satisfying. Fuck cover shooters with cheap AI and bullet sponge enemies when you can blast a skyscraper with a bazooka or shoot a napalm grenade into a tunnel full of giant ants.

And boy, on Inferno the game gets truley insane and challenging. Every mission on inferno is like a puzzle where you try to find the one strategy/exploit to overcome the impossible.

I really hope this series becomes some sort of Dark Souls of the shooter genre, because it's gaming fun in it's purest form imo.

Also love the series. Although now that I've been a Wing Diver I don't think I can be anything else.
Airstrikes and dual wielding big ass guns as the other classes are really satisfying, but yeah Wing Diver's mobility makes it feel like a completely different game

Also love the series. Although now that I've been a Wing Diver I don't think I can be anything else.

I feel the same way but with Fencer. They have all the heavy weapons! Its glorious. Ive beat so many inferno levels gliding around with them and slowly taking out an army of insects on my tail. There is nothing more tense than that, knowing if you fuck up a dash cancel its literally over in seconds.

me0wish

Took me and my friend around 6 hours to finish some of the DLC levels on inferno. We had to develop strategies and figure out exploits to finish the levels, it was insane and easily the best coop game ever made.

Markoman

I wish the explosion hurt you though, running away from that would be fun.

But man, I just CANNOT get into any class besides wing diver. The freedom of movement makes everything else feel sooo slow. Both me and my brother play that class exclusively.

Have you used the Javelin + spear/sword/axe combo for dash frenzy with Fencer? Such a cool mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLGjAJc0PUs

Air Raider is also cool when you use his arsenal in a creative way. For example:
You can call in a tank, place turrets on the tank and then drive the tank right through
a horde of enemies.
Or place detector bombs on your mech as a protection for close combat.

Airstrikes and dual wielding big ass guns as the other classes are really satisfying, but yeah Wing Diver's mobility makes it feel like a completely different game

Oh man it sounds like you haven't dash cancelled with Fencers

pardon for repping my heavy boys but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tch5T9OM3r8

Too long; didn't watch: To animate it further

Without dash cancelling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfLOpr22ITA

With Dash cancelling(Sound warning later half):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZcBwCLLBM

Oneself

Yes, most EDF are awesome games.
You guys should try Zombie Army Trilogy too, same kind of low budget madness and very fun co-op games (the 3rd game especially).

I have yet to be bitten by Yakuza.

My only tiny gripe is that I wish corpses didn't disappear so fast. Massive piles of dead massive aliens and insects would only add to the insanity

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Tried to get into it, but I just couldn't. 😞

Suit up boys.

EDF.jpg

My only tiny gripe is that I wish corpses didn't disappear so fast. Massive piles of dead massive aliens and insects would only add to the insanity
You will appreciate it on harder difficulties and later missions when they start to block you (underground missions, especially )

Oh speaking of which, anyone new trying out this game please don't make the same mistake I did- Don't play the game on hard difficulty lol.

Yes the base game is easy but this is one of those games where making it hard does not improve your experience. It's like Dynasty Warriors but with giant alien insect.

It was originally a Simple 2000 game like Oneechanbara. The PS2 EDF games (including the turn-based strategy spinoff) made it Europe like several other simple 2000 games.

Earth Defense Force was also represented in the crossover fighter for the Simple 2000 series. Below a soldier is fighting the giant bikini girl who terrorizes a city from another game.

Tagyhag

Yep, it's so good, and the 60fps makes it even better.

The slowdown had its charm but I can't deny how fun it feels to fluidly fly across the battlefield while raining death.

bede-x

The game may be janky and not much of a looker, but the chaos and sense of scale here puts a lot of other games to shame. God of War may have massive titans, but you're always in control here, able to fly to the tops of buildings or even reach the tops of alien ships. The destruction, the size and speed of the hordes you face, the size of bosses, the freedom of movement and weapon loadouts...you're in the middle of completely playable set pieces in every level

I find it really impressive technically. Not the individual animation, texture clarity or similar, but the spectacle of it all. Once you adjust the difficulty to inferno and have four players spreading death and destruction, the amount of stuff on screen is mindblowing. I'm amazed every time I see it.

And then there are the four very diverse classes, with dozens of their own unique weapons. Choosing a different class makes a level play completely different, and every weapon feels very satisfying to use.

Changing class will force you to completely change your play style, to such an extent that some people actually find it difficult to play all classes after first adapting to one. I think that's a huge quality and even after playing it 1000+ hours on different systems, I'm still discovering new ways to do things, because of the many differences in play styles.

It would be difficult to move with so many corpses, unless you just let people clip through. As it is now, how corpses affect movement, visibility, weapon impact and enemy shots becomes very important on higher difficulties. It's not unusual to use them as shields when playing Ranger or Air Raider for instance. Or you might have a strategy to use explosive weapons, but once those corpses and bug limbs start piling up, the amount of time it takes for them to clear will start affecting when you can shoot.

That said EDF5 supposedly leaves the bug juice of enemies lying around as a testament to your recent destruction :)

You will appreciate it on harder difficulties and later missions when they start to block you (underground missions, especially )
I remember facing a mass of insect parts coming towards me in some of the tunnels in 3.

Those frogs...

I'm going to miss the combat roll, now that there's sprinting
Wonder if there will be any improvements to the online. Having progression split between online and offline is annoying. And not being able to join games in progress is a real killer when playing with randoms since you have to sit around waiting in a lobby when joing a squad without any indication of how much of the current level they have left, or even if they intend to continue playing when they're done. Also "connection lost" during online play = instant mission fail is terrible, it doesn't even let you try to finish alone. Happened to me several times the last few days, and I lost a bunch of stuff because of it.

I remember facing a mass of insect parts coming towards me in some of the tunnels in 3.

Wonder if there will be any improvements to the online. Having progression split between online and offline is annoying. And not being able to join games in progress is a real killer when playing with randoms since you have to sit around waiting in a lobby when joing a squad without any indication of how much of the current level they have left, or even if they intend to continue playing when they're done. Also "connection lost" during online play = instant mission fail is terrible, it doesn't even let you try to finish alone. Happened to me several times the last few days, and I lost a bunch of stuff because of it.
It would be cool to join in progress but it's probably a scaling issue. At least you can chat with the players and ask them how much time is left.

xk0sm0sx

Air Raider is also cool when you use his arsenal in a creative way. For example:
You can call in a tank, place turrets on the tank and then drive the tank right through
a horde of enemies.
Or place detector bombs on your mech as a protection for close combat.

I main Air Raider. Holy shit I never realized that.
Would make my inferno attempts much easier.

It's difficult to get ahold nowadays, but if you enjoyed EDF, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend Robot Alchemic Drive.

It's made by Sandlot who are also the developers of EDF. It shares many of the same foundations that went on to the EDF series, but is also very different at the same time.

It's basically a "remote control robot" game where you play as a regular sized human who is always controlling a giant robot to fight giant monsters from the human character perspective

YoungOne

It's difficult to get ahold nowadays, but if you enjoyed EDF, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend Robot Alchemic Drive.

It's made by Sandlot who are also the developers of EDF. It shares many of the same foundations that went on to the EDF series, but is also very different at the same time.

It's basically a "remote control robot" game where you play as a regular sized human who is always controlling a giant robot to fight giant monsters from the human character perspective
I have been meaning to play this game because the premise sounds interesting.

Top Bottom