• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Online App launching July 21st

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

nintendo-switch-online-logo.svg

This paid service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions in compatible games.

Check back for more details on the service before the official launch.

splatnet2-en.png

Nintendo Switch Online app

The Nintendo Switch Online smart device app is designed to enhance your online experience for compatible games on the Nintendo Switch™ console.

This app will initially launch with a limited feature set and will be compatible with the Splatoon™ 2 game.

In Splatoon 2, the app will give you access to SplatNet 2, where you can see your online battle stats, your gear, and much more. See details here.

Invite friends and voice chat during games

With the app, you can send online play invitations to players on your Nintendo Switch system's friend list. The app also lets you quickly send invites via social networks and messaging services. When you're invited to a game, you'll get notified right away via a push notification on your smart device.

Once players are connected, you can use voice chat openly with friends while in the online lobby and during online play (depending on the game).
It begins...

Online is free and I think the app is in beta for awhile.
App sounds alright. I guess we'll see how that works when Splatoon launches

entremet

I still can't believe their going with this nonsense lol.

Someone needs to slap some sense into Kyoto (NCL's headquarters).

I'm actually excited to see how this works. I know it would have been ideal to have everything on the Switch itself, but I'm willing to give this a chance. In reality I know that I'll barely use the online chat because I have no friends...

suaveric

Are they really branding this Switch Online? That seems short sighted, do they want to have to rename their online service every time they launch a new console?

ryanofcall

Are they really branding this Switch Online? That seems short sighted, are they really going to have to rename their online service every time they launch a new console?

It's Playstation Network as well, isn't it?
Maybe it will be Switch 2/3/4/5 from now on? Who knows

Shiggy

Only compatible with Splatoon 2 at launch apparently:

This app will initially launch with a limited feature set and will be compatible with the Splatoon™ 2 game.

Also more info on the Splatoon 2 functionality. The app lets you use the app-exclusive SplatNet 2:
The Nintendo Switch™ Online app for iOS and Android will be available soon.

The app will be compatible with the Splatoon™ 2 game, giving players the ability to access SplatNet 2, invite friends to online matches, and chat during the game. Both the app's functionality and online play will be free until the Nintendo Switch Online service launches in 2018.

With the app and the Splatoon 2 game, you'll be able to access SplatNet 2 to see your online play stats, check out upcoming game stages, and more.

You'll also be able to invite friends who have the game to Private Battles, League Battles, and Splatfest Battles via social media and other services. When players are invited to a game, they'll get an instant notification on their smart device.

The app will let you chat with friends in your online lobby before your game begins, then talk to your teammates to coordinate strategy once the game begins.

And some screens:

Poor show, OP. I expected info and pics from the Direct, not text from the website that's been up for ages now.

Edit: that's better.

Only compatible with Splatoon 2 at launch apparently:

Also more info on the Splatoon 2 functionality. The app lets you use the app-exclusive SplatNet 2:

And some screens:

Yikes, even worse than I thought. Hopefully it becomes compatible with all online titles by the time they actually ask us to pay for this.

zelas

http://splatoon.nintendo.com/news-video/nintendo-switch-online-splatnet2-app-coming-soon/

The Nintendo Switch™ Online app for iOS and Android will be available soon.

The app will be compatible with the Splatoon™ 2 game, giving players the ability to access SplatNet 2, invite friends to online matches, and chat during the game. Both the app's functionality and online play will be free until the Nintendo Switch Online service launches in 2018.

With the app and the Splatoon 2 game, you'll be able to access SplatNet 2 to see your online play stats, check out upcoming game stages, and more.

You'll also be able to invite friends who have the game to Private Battles, League Battles, and Splatfest Battles via social media and other services. When players are invited to a game, they'll get an instant notification on their smart device.

The app will let you chat with friends in your online lobby before your game begins, then talk to your teammates to coordinate strategy once the game begins.

Is SplatNet 2 ONLY accessible through the app? Meaning you have to have mobile?

The Cowboy

So wait, this is only for the US, Canada and Mexico on the 21st?, so the UK etc can't use this when Splatoon comes out?.

Also, i can't get over the fact the classic game selection is 2018 - that's a joke.
I'm probably one of the few who love this whole app idea.
It is a good idea having the ability to access this stuff on an app, its just the app should be in addition to having this also on the Switch itself - it should not be the only option.

I like it too, I just think some of this stuff could easily be on the console itself.

So wait, this is only for the US, Canada and Mexico on the 21st?, so the UK etc can't use this when Splatoon comes out?.

Also, i can't get over the fact the classic game selection is 2018 - that's a joke.
That info is obviously only for the Americas. Like they would leave Japan out of the mix.

jts

...hate me...
Are they really branding this Switch Online? That seems short sighted, do they want to have to rename their online service every time they launch a new console?

Switch and Switch-family consoles will go on for a looooooong-ass time I'm pretty sure.

Tawpgun

lol nintendo.

Is console integration even possible? Relying on a phone app for basic online features that have been built into the early 2000's console generation is so nintendo.

Nah, it's a cool idea and especially as a secondary way to access the online features.

But as the ONLY method of online play for the Switch, it's unacceptable IMO. Literally no reason we should have to be tethering two different devices just to get voice chat and lobbies.

jts

...hate me...

The classic game selection is part of the paid service. Being only in 2018 means also that NSO stays free of charge for longer.

Top Bottom