• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC Subway Stays #1 - track fire stalls A, B, C, D line service

CHC

http://abc7ny.com/news/subway-servi...rack-fire-at-train-station-in-harlem/2225844/

HARLEM, Manhattan (WABC) -- Subway service is being disrupted Monday morning by a track fire at the 145th Street train station in Harlem.

The FDNY says rubbish on the tracks caught fire at 7:30 a.m.

B and C trains are completely suspended, with no service on the entire line.

A and D trains are suspended north of 125th Street in both directions.

The MTA says all passengers that were stuck between stations are off their trains and at subway stations.

EMS is standing by at the 135th Street station to evaluate people who are complaining about being overcome by smoke at the station.

Hot off the heels of our recent derailment comes another NYC specialty - so much trash piling in the tracks that it lights on fire, conveniently holding up tens of thousands of commuters and forcing an evacuation and shutdown of one of Harlem's busiest stations.

Keep it up MTA!

Mahershala-Ali-Will-Play-Cottonmouth.jpg

Jhoan

Oh god! Great! No access to the A and 1 for me then.=/

The MTA has been doing a stellar job taking a bunch of L'lately.

I was about to bump the derailment thread from two weeks ago lol. Affected once again... Thankfully I have secondary and tertiary train options.

If you move to NYC, never live by only one train line if you can avoid it.

Sulik2

Yet another case of the infrastructure of the USA falling apart. Meanwhile in congress, lets pass massive tax breaks!

Penguin

I was about to bump the derailment thread from two weeks ago lol. Affected once again... Thankfully I have secondary and tertiary train options.

If you move to NYC, never live by only one train line if you can avoid it.

That would be the best bit of advice I could give folks moving here.

And don't make your train options like the same route just a diff number.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jesus.

When I lived in the city I was lucky. the 86th st B/C station was less than a block but I could hoof it over to Broadway to catch the 2/3,

Glix

Jesus.

When I lived in the city I was lucky. the 86th st B/C station was less than a block but I could hoof it over to Broadway to catch the 2/3,

I have multiple lines but when one goes down the other usually gets insane and so overpacked you can't even get in the office etc.

Ducarmel

Valtýr;243702750 said:
so you're going to replace the subway delays with traffic jams and parking fees.
The nature of my job has me working in different parts of the city from time to time. Right now I'm on a job in queens coming from brooklyn its almost a 2 hour commute one way using public transportation. It would be a 30-45 minute drive if I could borrow a car.

tbm24

I'm fortunate to avoid much of the summer subway mess since I'm on Paternity at the moment till mid August. If this keeps up I'm going to seriously consider seeing if I can leverage my experience for a similar It position out in Long Island. MTA has been wearing out me slowly but surely throughout the years.

Funny considering the L's reputation that my commutes this summer have been mostly issue-free.

Concerning how often these big disruptions are happening though...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I called work and told them I'm not coming. I live on the A line north of 145th. Fuck. That.

I don't know how much longer I can take it in NYC. It's a filthy fucking city.

I will never understand the people besides homeless that just toss their trash on the tracks. No matter where I go in NYC them tracks are nasty.
Looking for a roomie? :p

Some pics from Twitter
Oh man

It's already hot enough on regular days. Must be a sauna up in there.

sflufan

Banned
As a rider of the Washington DC Metro system that NYC residents continuously deride for its own infrastructure problems, I can't say that that I don't have just a bit of schadenfreude for MTA's recent issues :p

BioHazard

Why not do what Europe does? Shut the trains down at night for maintenance.

That's the best part. They already frequently do just this. Usually on a line by line basis. That's why I always think the people who say, "Oh well the MTA has problems because it's always running 24/7!!" are full of shit. The problems go waaaaay beyond nightly maintenance.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yea, I was going to to walk to the 1 train on 181st and people said to turn back.

Working from home, fuck that. One the hottest days too.

As a rider of the Washington DC Metro system that NYC residents continuously deride for its own infrastructure problems, I can't say that that I don't have just a bit of schadenfreude for MTA's recent issues :p

Former DC Resident here, NYC can cry me a river having gone through the nightmare of Metro.

BioHazard

Also, it looks like they had trouble finding the trash fire, so I'm going to take a wild guess and say it wasn't in the middle of the station where customers litter. If it was in between stations I don't think it could have been because of customers, but I'm sure the MTA will just blame their riders again for this delay. Probably all the shit track workers leave behind in between maintenance shifts.

Funny considering the L's reputation that my commutes this summer have been mostly issue-free.

Concerning how often these big disruptions are happening though...
well this was a fire but the L is the most or second most reliable train for the most common delay which I think are signal issues.

it's also the only one with new signals. the 7 should massively improve when they get theirs this or next year.

I rarely have issues in the L. And live close to the M so the shutdown will only add like 10 minutes for a year.

dramatis

The nature of my job has me working in different parts of the city from time to time. Right now I'm on a job in queens coming from brooklyn its almost a 2 hour commute one way using public transportation. It would be a 30-45 minute drive if I could borrow a car.
They should make a Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn line honestly. Everything going through Manhattan makes things take longer than they should. Quick transport between Bronx-Queens and Queens-Brooklyn would make things a lot better.

Moreover they should really connect Staten Island with the rest of us. Increase in housing options, better for Staten Island's opportunities, etc. People often jokingly look down on Bronx and Staten Island but I would be grateful if we can not all crowd into Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I don’t believe the blame is, at least entirely, on the MTA. People throwing trash in stations, ending up on the rails, causing a fire having a similar response to trains derailing? Eeh.

Still sucks for all affected.

That's the best part. They already frequently do just this. Usually on a line by line basis. That's why I always think the people who say, "Oh well the MTA has problems because it's always running 24/7!!" are full of shit. The problems go waaaaay beyond nightly maintenance.

Shutting it down over night doesn't allow them to install signals at the speed they need to. It always them to do patch work.

We're going to need to do full shutdowns on portions. Especially in Manhattan.

This is crazy!

Why do they not clean those tunnels?

Actually, I think they did recently clean that exact tunnel lol. There are advertisements / notifications at my train stations, which are one and two stops away from the track fire, that proudly exclaim that the track was cleaned a couple months ago, and that it's part of some new initiative or something to clean the tracks more often.

Maybe later I'll snap a photo of it if I go back home on those trains.

The tracks were actually looking pretty good, but sadly they have quite a bit of garbage on them again...

dramatis

This is crazy!

Why do they not clean those tunnels?
I think they do clean the tunnels/tracks, but there are several problems.

1) Millions of riders take the train every day, and not everyone is going to be a scrupulous person, so a lot of people throw their trash on the tracks—daily—because they're too lazy to walk a bit to the nearest trash receptacle.

2) The system runs 24/7, so the time to clean the tracks is very limited. There are 472 stations in NYC. You're not going to be able to clean them all daily.

Top Bottom