• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona fans: What do you want out of Persona 5?

Would you want to see a sequel to Persona 3 or 4, ala Persona 3-2 or Persona 4-2, set maybe a few years later (college)? Would you like to see a new story that somehow ties the two stories together? Or, would you like to see a new story entirely?

I have a feeling that the ridiculous success of all things Persona 4, and the enduring popularity of certain characters from Persona 3, is going to drive Atlus to keep their focus on them for a while....

Salsa

something new, surprise me. In line with 3 and 4 but with new and older characters, different non-school setting.

I want next persona with 3 + 4 characters set after what happens in Arena to be a separate game with a different name, not P5

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i would like to see a mega Persona game with all the characters from 3 and 4 teaming up to do something all important with elements of both games that made them strong.

DR2K

Banned
I want it using that sexy Catherine engine sometime this decade. Thankfully Atlus is finally running out of Persona games to rerelease/update.

Aeana

I'll be happy as long as they change it up again. Persona 3 and 4 were way too similar. i don't think they really need to go the random dungeon crawler + social link thing again. Persona 5 can have social links, I just would enjoy it if the game had a different structure again.

Sadly, I know better, and now that Persona has become Atlus's cash cow, I expect them to not stray too heavily from their winning formula.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Catherine engine and a darker story for sure. I enjoyed P4's story but I still think P3's was better.

If we're going to be playing another silent protagonist, being able to customize them would be nice.

More Persona to fuse and use. Not sure if they added more between P3 and P4.
Has to be a completely new cast and the new UI should be dark green. College or Office Workplace as the setting.
i would like to see a mega Persona game with all the characters from 3 and 4 teaming up to do something all important with elements of both games that made them strong.

I wouldn't mind either of these, but a new cast would be a better surprise.

Stop with the fucking teenage characters. Give me Persona 4, but with the fucked up insanity of the Shin Megami Tensei series.
This would be nice too.

I want them to keep it the same as is as far as characters go. Old characters make cameos but don't play major roles. I don't want this turning into Disgaea. The character development is the best part of the Persona series and getting to know new characters is a big part of that.

StuBurns

Banned
Even further in terms of dungeon design variety, and older characters, with older social interactions. Basically just further in the direction 3 to 4 already had more or less.

ezekial45

Banned
I'd like to see them break out of the school setting. It'd be cool if you were a team of grown up reporters/investigators or something.

Aeana

I'd like to see them break out of the school setting. It'd be cool if you were a team of grown up reporters/investigators or something.
They won't do that; the school setting is one of the foundations of Persona (sans Eternal Punishment), and it's also one of the reasons why it's so popular in Japan. Literally, the Persona series spawned from SMT If..., which was SMT with high school characters.

inner-G

Banned
Don't fuck with the P4 battle system too much.

It's awesome, and I don't want an action RPG.

Keep the school parts. College would be cool too.

Keep up the awesome mysterious anime style story and quirky Japanese cultural stuff.

Zeranium

I suppose I'd be fine if there were an older and different cast with some references (or cameos and whatnot) to the older games.
Less of a focus on dates/schedules or make it a little less rigid?

LuchaShaq

Banned
I want Persona 4-2, or if what I've seen from Arena continues persona 3/4-2.

That said Persona 3 and 4 are two of m favorite games ever and I have faith in the team making 5. Just wish it wasn't taking so long.

Keep the battle system very similar, I HATE the trend of turning jrpgs into REALLY awful action rpgs. aka 90% of jrpgs in the last 5 or so years.

Also keep whoever helped write Devil survivor AWAY from this. Hated every single character in that game. Rooted for them to die in a horrible way every time there was dialogue.

Dresden

I don't mind the school setting, and it's kind of what Persona is, so . . .

Just give me another cast that I can love, a good battle system, and a somewhat engaging story with good art and music.

Cheska

Bring on a college aged cast! We've all kind of grown with the Persona games and I think the "high school" theme is kind of played out by now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd like to see them streamline it. Maybe automatically fuse personas for me, so I don't have to think. Add some QTEs to school time events. Maybe set it in some kind of ... desert? Also, if an enemy is weak to a persona's Element, I want the game to just switch to that Persona and use the ability without me having to pick it. And maybe we can replace those dungeons with some more visceral, corridor experiences.

Tomat

I'd like to see them streamline it. Maybe automatically fuse personas for me, so I don't have to think. Add some QTEs to school time events. Maybe set it in some kind of ... desert? Also, if an enemy is weak to a persona's Element, I want the game to just switch to that Persona and use the ability without me having to pick it. And maybe we can replace those dungeons with some more visceral, corridor experiences.
You almost had be there. Bravo sir!

klee123

College Setting.

Wouldn't mind if it's in the countryside again tbh. I actually preferred that aspect in P4 over the metro setting in P3.

PowderedToast

i consider persona 2 (innocent sin, specifically) to be the epitome of the persona concept, at least from a thematic and storytelling standpoint. i definitely appreciated that 4 brought back the shadows again and specifically used them as a method to explore some important issues of puberty and adolescence. i think the tackling of taboo issues like gender and sexual identity should become a series mainstay, as topics like that could only do with more videogame exposure and recognition.

from a game design standpoint, i have no idea. i trust that the fantastic brains at atlus will come up with something.

Tomat

College Setting.

Wouldn't mind if it's in the countryside again tbh. I actually preferred that aspect in P4 over the metro setting in P3.
Does such a thing actually exist?

i consider persona 2 (innocent sin, specifically) to be the epitome of the persona concept, at least from a thematic and storytelling standpoint. i definitely appreciated that 4 brought back the shadows again and specifically used them as a method to explore some important issues of puberty and adolescence. i think the tackling of taboo issues like gender and sexual identity should become a series mainstay, as topics like that could only do with more videogame exposure and recognition.

from a game design standpoint, i have no idea. i trust that the fantastic brains at atlus will come up with something.
Agreed. I really think the college setting would be great for this as well (not puberty and adolescence, but college is the next big step up after high school after all. Different issues to deal with there)

PBalfredo

Everyone wishing for a college Persona is going to be disappointed. Japan loves there high school setting too much, and only Americans have any special love for the college settings.

What I want from Persona: ditch the random-generated dungeons. They're too bland and same-y with just meaningless cosmetic changes between each dungeon. Distinctly different dungeons would be great. I know this is about as likely to happen as the college setting, but it's what I want.

7threst

I like the setting as it is. Also, I want the style of music to be the same. I do want the story to have more really serious moments, like unexpected character deaths or something. This I want to be linked directly to the social links which I want to have a bigger impact on the overarching story in the game. This in turn makes that you have to choose carefully which social links to go for in order to change the story to your liking. It also makes new game+ more interesting so you can focus on other social links that impact the story in a different way than your previous playthrough.

I want it to come out now.

Everything else is gravy. P4 is seriously one of my favorite games ever ( i would like p3 too if I didn't get sidetracked and eventually completed P4 first...I bough all 3 versions yo).

I like the current formula, so keep it. Just give me a good cast. Good story. Slightly better dungeons and we cool.

oh and make it come out tomorrow.

thanks.

PowderedToast

They won't do that; the school setting is one of the foundations of Persona (sans Eternal Punishment), and it's also one of the reasons why it's so popular in Japan. Literally, the Persona series spawned from SMT If..., which was SMT with high school characters.

wow, i never realised this! despite it being very obvious.

Lunar15

Honestly? Anything. I love what that team puts out.

But, if I wanted to get picky, I'd just like something pretty removed from P3 and P4. Maybe not revolving around high school?

ampere

I want it using that sexy Catherine engine sometime this decade. Thankfully Atlus is finally running out of Persona games to rerelease/update.

This! I really want it to use a more up to date engine, which I'm sure it will.

It would be cool if the scenario changed a bit, older cast, maybe college age.

V_Ben

Banned
I know its probably pricier, but full voice acting... I always find it jarring when the games suddenly fall silent.

Apart from that, I'd love to see it set in a proper rural boarding school type setting. Could make for some amazing scenes.

Top Bottom