• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Iwata Asks: Yoiche Kotabe - The father of Mario art

promo1.jpg

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/dsi/7/0

This was grouped with the rest in the new IW thread, but this one might get glossed over.

Ironically it's titled as essentially as an Iwata Asks about Flipnote, but the true treasure is about this man's beginnings, joining Nintendo, and so forth.

You may not know his name, but you've ALL seen his art. most recently in Super Mario 3D Land, and he's been retired from Nintendo for a while!

Tanooki_Tree_SM3DL.jpg

He's been at Toei, and even worked with Hayao Miyazaki!

He even worked on the Pokemon anime, likely not anymore.

Mario Wiki page:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Yoichi_Kotabe

Must read, I think it's fair to call him among the fathers of Mario himself.

Edit: Can a mod fix the spelling of his name please; it's Yoichi not Yoiche.

rpmurphy

Truly, my knowledge about Nintendo is miniscule... this is some fascinating treasure trove of stuff that I never even heard of.

JoeFu

Banned
Man, what an awesome read. So much stuff in these Iwata Asks... They really need to make a book with all the Iwata Asks.

Watching Kotabe just drawing the person skipping, and the waves crashing down was awesome.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
His art was a fascination for me growing up. I always loved noting the drawings dotted here and there throughout the manuals, let alone the boxart.

Azure J

The Mario series is full of art I wish Nintendo would put out a legitimate concept art book for. Having something with Super Mario Bros 3 era sketches and the concept art behind Super Mario 64 and Galaxy is like the holy grail of game related art books for me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I like the fact that Hols kind of made Kotabe become what he is in a mental aspect. A walk through fire, as it were. Technically the same thing happened with Takahata and the movie helped serve as a quasi-guideline for Miyazaki on Laputa too.

No wonder 3D Land had such nostalgiarific art, I did not know this man until now but he's instantly in high esteem.

also I love this little exchange...

Miyamoto: And it's great how you can draw anywhere. The reason I doodled in the corners of my textbooks during classes at school was because I had so much time on my hands.

Iwata: Is that why you're still drawing caricatures during meetings at Nintendo?

Everyone: (laughs)

I have always loved this guy's art! I used to copy it as a kid and drew so many pictures of Mario and all the other characters so many times.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have always loved this guy's art! I used to copy it as a kid and drew so many pictures of Mario and all the other characters so many times.

Me too. I adore his art, and copied it a lot as a child. I would love a Mario game whose whole mission was to replicate his art style completely.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That was a nice read! It's good to finally know the name of the artist who drew all that classic Mario art over the years.

Must nab a copy of his animation art book too, at some point...

DrWong

He did stuff like that when he was at Toei: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1vwl6JuorU

Great movie, great animator who worked with genius (Takahata, Miyazaki, Otsuka, Miyamoto...) in his 2 professional lifes. His wife, Okuyama Reiko, was also an animator at Toei, a great one too (and one of the first women in the industry) who passed a away few years ago. Had the chance to meet both when they came to Paris.

Platy

Always cool to see that you missed an episode of a series you love .. it is like a brand new episode =D

I swear there was an art book of Kotabe's work (spanning from his student, Toei and Nintendo days) I saw once and passed on, only to never find it again. Does anybody know what I'm talking about here?

Piccoro

Very cool, I never knew who the artist was, now I know! I love the stamps he made in SM3DW.
Also, I loved this drawing as a kid:
Super-Mario-Bros-3-Art.jpg

Well look at what I stumbled upon; Kotabe did at least ONE Pokemon card; Spikey-eared Pichu!

Spiky-earedPichuMMovieRandomPackPromo11.jpg

I'm trying to find more Pokemon art by him, no such luck. :(

Top Bottom