• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone explain the appeal of Animal Crossing games?

So since NA is getting the Animal Crossing XL bundle. I'm considering getting it but never played any of these games. Can anyone explain the appeal or a game of perhaps similar nature?

It's a game where usually you move into a colorful town full of sentient animals and have to pay off the mortgate on your house to a greedy raccoon by catching and selling fish/bugs, growing fruit orchards, and socializing with your irritating horse neighbours.

It's a really relaxing game honestly, perfect for play in short bursts, and oddly addictive. It's best for portability really for that reason, short bursts.

Celegus

It's incredibly relaxing and charming. The writing and music are delightful. It's the perfect thing to come home to after a long day.

"I LOVE doing chores! I wish I could buy video games where I could do nothing but chores and write letters to animals and pretend they understand them!"

LakeEarth

Mild but relaxing entertainment, great if you like collecting stuff. Great to play with kids, if you have any.

The original had the NES games which was the biggest motivator for me to play it, hence never buying the newer ones.

They're relaxing. Something to play for just a few minutes a day (after the initial appeal wears off). Wandering around your town, catching butterflies, engaging in inane conversations with the animal people, watching the seasons change slowly over time. I don't think it can be fully explained, you just have to play it yourself to see if you like it.

Tenrius

Relaxation and the sense of wonder. You boot up the game, see what's up in the town. Then you go fishing, collect some stuff, sell it for some money, maybe buy something fun for your house. While doing that, you also leisurely chat with your neighbours.

It's basically a video game alternative of having a cup of tea and doing something pleasantly pointless on a lazy Saturday morning, in terms of the mood at least. I wish there were more unique events though, and more often.

it's relaxing and extremely charming with some really fantastic writing.

it also plays pretty well for loot whores given the amount of stuff there is to collect.

Wiz

Its just something you gotta try for yourself. Watching gameplay/hearing us talk about it won't sell you on it.

Relaxing change of pace. Addictive mechanics. It's similar to the appeal of loot based games. Love me some harvest moon or animal crossing. It's just laid back fun.

Its just something you gotta try for yourself. Watching gameplay/hearing us talk about it won't sell you on it.
pretty much this too

Sgblues

Just a feel good type of series with a lot of its own unique charm and personality that doesn't force you to enjoy yourself.

When is New Leaf coming? 9th of June?

Also, how different is Animal Crossing compared to Harvest Moon?

Is there any multiplayer in New Leaf?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I always had a tick for interior and exterior design. This game provides that well and has a nice charm to boot.

i'm gonna catch that piece of shit fish even if i have to wake up at 6 in the morning
Haha

This is true, if you get into this game you may find yourself rearranging your life around it. Unless you take the easy way out and mess with your system time, but then you get yelled at by a mole man.

Bear

It's a game world that grows and develops around you, while letting you spend time doing whatever you want. The appeal is similar to other undirected games like Minecraft in that, aside from establishing basic mechanics, it's as fun as you make it.

There's no particular gameplay hook that attracts people.

When is New Leaf coming? 9th of June?

Also, how different is Animal Crossing compared to Harvest Moon?

Is there any multiplayer in New Leaf?

Yes, it's coming out June 9th.
They aren't really similar except for the aspect that all you do is mundane work that happens to be fun.
And there is online multiplayer.

Yawnier

Banned
Having put a bunch of time into Animal Crossing on the GC and the DS, I will say it is mostly because they are just mostly relaxed and fun games. Seriously, playing some AC in the middle of the night there isn't that much like it in the gaming world IMO.

Kouriozan

Relaxing change of pace. Addictive mechanics. It's similar to the appeal of loot based games. Love me some harvest moon or animal crossing. It's just laid back fun.

pretty much this too
I gotta agree with you on this one.
So much different than other games, you instantly love, or hate it.

Top Bottom