• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: PS3 BD Remote not compatible with PS4

Disappointing, got it free with my ps3 back in 2008
6510930_0_9999_lge_v1s8ulp.jpg

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Can't sell PS4 remotes if the PS3 ones work just fine and are cheaper.

Jucksalbe

Banned
HELL NO!!!!!!! Bluetooth is way better than IR.

Only thing that remote ever did for me, was randomly turning on my PS3 from the drawer I put it in. Took out the batteries, never used it again (granted, I got it for free with my PS3, I never really needed it).

Ein Bear

That's really disappointing. I plan on leaving my PS3 hooked up for a good while though, so I guess I'll carry on using that as my Blu-Ray/Netflix box.

Just fold the remote control functionality into the iOS/Android app.

Boom. Problem solved.

People will love the fact that they don't have to spend money on a remote, and can just use a device they already have, (their smartphone or tablet) and it encourages immediate adoption of the app with the user base.

Strike

That sucks. Looks like I'm gonna be in the market for a new one once I pick up a PS4. At least I can still use the Bluetooth headset.

Jack_AG

Banned
Or ya know... An IR PORT like every other sensible entertainment device!!!!
What is this... the 80s?

Topic:
What the fuck? This is stupid. The remote is fine - what is the reason it will not work? This screams "new remote money grab". Bullshit.

Aske

I've used my PS3 BD remote daily for six years. Ready for a new one. Release the same thing with a 4 on it, and I'll buy it day 1.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I watch a lot of Blu rays on my PS3 and use that remote ALOT (the play and pause buttons are nearly worn off) so this is a disappointment. Has anyone seen anything about a ps4 version?

Sucks. Then again I only paid $13 for mine. To be honest, it's not really that great as a "universal" remote either. I hope they improve on it for the PS4 version.

The console supports bluetooth. They are dicks for not adding a few hundred lines of code to support this for media playback.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I have the original too. Too bad that it basically becomes worthless

At least the dual shocks can be plugged into a PC or whatever.

Squire

Banned
This remote was meant to control your whole Sony home entertainment set-up, not just the PS3.
This version better work on the PS4.

Honestly, Sony has no obligation whatsoever to make that remote work with a product that's coming to market after it. Would be great if they did though!

Lamptramp

Quite disappointing, though not a massive issue for me, the PS3 will go upstairs so the remote will go with.

I'd hope that a smartphone app replaces this functionality for the PS4, to save buying a new one, the controller is more than capable out of the box, but I did like the actual remote.

I did love the remote, BUT it was a killer for just accidently knocking and powering up the PS3.

Indeed, sensitive swine that it is.

antonz

nickle and diming at its finest. There is no way they couldnt add a few lines of code and have it work just fine.

Being assholes is all

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
nickle and diming at its finest. There is no way they couldnt add a few lines of code and have it work just fine.

Being assholes is all

What must you think about the more proprietary MSFT then?

This BD remote will stay with the PS3 it seems. I never use it since I've bought it though and have stuck strictly to DS3.

HELL NO!!!!!!! Bluetooth is way better than IR.

Bluetooth is better, I agree, but being able to use my Harmony Remote on my Xbox without buying an in-between Bluetooth adapter is nice too.
I'd have loved if they had both IR and Bluetooth capabilities.

Jinjo

Why have all these remotes laying around when you can control your PS3 fine with your TV remote through HDMI-CEC?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hope they still announce a Remote for PS4... I dont want to use my Dualshock or a Smartphone App while watching movies.

Top Bottom