• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Two different demo's for PS1, one where you control a ninja dude in the jungle from a top down view, throwing ninja stars and slizing dudes with your sword. The other you control a cannon ship, evading obstacles, shinking pirate ships and with your boardside cannons, and navigating confined chanals.

Second one is Psygnosis' Overboard.

Anyone know? :(

My first guess was going to be Zen: Intergalactic Ninja for being a vertically scrolling walker with a long title but the first level is actually angled so it's not completely vertical and the label isn't silver.

After that Image Fight is the next that came to mind for having a silver label and scrolling vertically but you don't walk since you're a ship.

Also thought perhaps The Legendary Guardian for having a long title and I believe the first level scrolls vertically (again, in a ship most likely). But the label is black.

And that's pretty much when I gave up. So unless you've got some extra details or any of those are along the right track that's the best I have at the moment.

Cody_D165

Banned
Sorry the clues seem rather vague. I take it most Konami games had a silver end label, perhaps that helps.. Do you remember anything about the setting or the gameplay?

My memories of this are so vague it's killing me, lol. I don't think it's Konami, because most of their NES games are so good that I have them already. I wanna say that you were like walking towards the top of the screen, in what might have been space? I remember it being very dark in color, like it was a space-themed level or something, and I know you were a human character. I think you were like walking across bridges in space or something. It wasn't a platformer or anything, and you had a weapon, although I honestly cannot remember if it was a gun, sword or otherwise.

I know my memories are still kinda vague because all I can really remember of it is the end-label in the NES game holder my parents had and playing it like one or two times.

Edit: Where are my manners? Thank you guys for trying, even if I don't find out what it was right now, I appreciate the help trying.

My memories of this are so vague it's killing me, lol. I don't think it's Konami, because most of their NES games are so good that I have them already. I wanna say that you were like walking towards the top of the screen, in what might have been space? I remember it being very dark in color, like it was a space-themed level or something, and I know you were a human character. I think you were like walking across bridges in space or something. It wasn't a platformer or anything, and you had a weapon, although I honestly cannot remember if it was a gun, sword or otherwise.

I know my memories are still kinda vague because all I can really remember of it is the end-label in the NES game holder my parents had and playing it like one or two times.

Edit: Where are my manners? Thank you guys for trying, even if I don't find out what it was right now, I appreciate the help trying.

Thought about it last time but forgot to mention one.

Ikari Warriors? Has a silver label and I found this screenshot:

IW2.jpg

Edit: And the label is silver.

Cody_D165

Banned
Thought about it last time but forgot to mention one.

Ikari Warriors? Has a silver label and I found this screenshot:

IW2.jpg

Edit: And the label is silver.

OH MY GOD

That's it!!!

I Google image-searched that screenshot and it's actually Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road, which explains the long title I remember!

Thanks a ton!

Valhelm

contribute something
I remember having tons of fun on some N64 game when I was about six. My barbershop let us play games while we got our hair cut. You played as some kind of lizard that looked a little bit like Yoshi, and I think when you died a different colored lizard took your place?

Cody_D165

Banned
I remember having tons of fun on some N64 game when I was about six. My barbershop let us play games while we got our hair cut. You played as some kind of lizard that looked a little bit like Yoshi, and I think when you died a different colored lizard took your place?

Are you sure it wasn't actually Yoshi? Because in Yoshi's Story on 64, when you die you choose from the other colored Yoshis to continue the level.

pootle

Does anybody remember a sort of Power Stone clone on PSX?

It wasn't exactly the same but it was 3d arena based fighter with multiple characters jumping around picking up power ups. One of them might have been Irish?

I can't even remember if I had the whole game or just the demo on a playstation magazine demo disk but I remember playing it for ages with a couple of friends.

Dang0

There was a game I tried (I think on the mega drive) where you're a ghost and you possess pieces of furniture to scare a new family out of your old house.

bomblord

Banned

That would be Chameleon twist there were two of them.
tumblr_lmljt8rqBb1ql4pmho1_500.jpg

1081-1.jpg

It wasn't exactly the same but it was 3d arena based fighter with multiple characters jumping around picking up power ups. One of them might have been Irish?

I can't even remember if I had the whole game or just the demo on a playstation magazine demo disk but I remember playing it for ages with a couple of friends.

Ehrgeiz? The one with Final Fantasy characters?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrgeiz

Dark_castle

There's this game in SNES or Genesis (can't remember), which I think is a strategy game. You control tropes of soldiers to attack others in some kind of war. I can't remember other details other than these vague info :(

batbeg

I loved loved loved this game. I doubt it was that great but it was one of my favorites as a kid, and I similarly could not remember the title, so even though I didn't ask, thank you!

Seeing Lunar: Dragon Song posted on this page wrought Vietnam flashbacks on my now mushy brain, though, so I can never again enjoy anything... (it was my first DS game :()

Poy Poy or its sequel Poy Poy 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8cUbFulry9Q#t=198

pootle

omnislayer said:
Ehrgeiz? The one with Final Fantasy characters?

Wibblewozzer said:
Poy Poy or its sequel Poy Poy 2?

Thanks guys but it's not these. I think these are better games than the one I'm looking for!

It was far more blocky and had a more zoomed out perspective.

Alright GAF, I need some help. There's a level in a recent 360 game that I absolutely loved, but I can't place which game it's from! I think it may be either Saints Row The Third or Mass Effect 3. Maybe not though. Here's what i know:

-third person action genre
-you may be in a digital simulation
-giant room all neon and silvery
-dozens of curving bridges composed of silvery digital squares
-you are tasked with destroying a virus or something, I think

I have a terrible memory. Please help.

mclem

Alright GAF, I need some help. There's a level in a recent 360 game that I absolutely loved, but I can't place which game it's from! I think it may be either Saints Row The Third or Mass Effect 3. Maybe not though. Here's what i know:

-third person action genre
-you may be in a digital simulation
-giant room all neon and silvery
-dozens of curving bridges composed of silvery digital squares
-you are tasked with destroying a virus or something, I think

I have a terrible memory. Please help.

http://deckers.die/ from Saint's Row: The Third?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2c0TwPDX5IE#t=29

Dawg

City builder on ps2 or gamecube, not sure.

Seemed like a Japanese game because the citizens were japanese :p not sure. Not doshi the giant. Buildings were pretty modern. You controlled some kind of giant character.

You also had to keep your citizens happy or something. I really can't remember much more.

City builder on ps2 or gamecube, not sure.

Seemed like a Japanese game because the citizens were japanese :p not sure. Not doshi the giant. Buildings were pretty modern. You controlled some kind of giant character.

You also had to keep your citizens happy or something. I really can't remember much more.

Either Metropolismania 1 or 2?

HfDOZeq.jpg

TheBera

Hey GAF, I remember this game I rented from Blockbuster when I was a kid but my memory is very vague.

It was a SNES game with a very classic RPG top-down visual style, maybe fantasy (??), but I don't think it had battes like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger, I could be wrong though, I just don't remember them.
One of the thing that I remember best is that right on top of the character head there was a box with a tool (like a hammer or something like that) that you could use to interact with stuff in the game world.
My memory is very fuzzy about this game..I've been looking for this game for years!!! If you could help me I would be very grateful :)

Another hint: I live in Europe so the game must have come out for PAL regions.

I used to play this MS DOS game back in around 97 or so at school. It was a platformer where you played as a professor/scientist. That's about all I remember - maybe it was supposed to be an educational maths game, but don't quote me on that. I've actually asked about this game on another forum a few years ago and someone did post the name, but I've totally forgotten what it was (and I can't find the posts).

This one's a bit of a longshot.

I remember playing a sci-fi point and click adventure game with a vaguely Blade Runner-ish feel about 12-13 years ago. It was a Shockwave-based game (I think it was on the Shockwave website), and it was played from a first person perspective, like Myst.

Sounds like the game was found, so...Can I jack this thread? I also an having trouble identifying a game.

It was on a PS1 demo disc. On the same disc was the Rugrats game. Basically you were some guy who was blueish-black. I also remember being able to swim in the demo. I think the whole game was pretty dark, actually.

Any help?

Sounds like the game was found, so...Can I jack this thread? I also an having trouble identifying a game.

It was on a PS1 demo disc. On the same disc was the Rugrats game. Basically you were some guy who was blueish-black. I also remember being able to swim in the demo. I think the whole game was pretty dark, actually.

Any help?

1st person? 3rd person? sidescroller? 3D? Top-down? Isometric? Details man!

FUME5

Hey GAF, I remember this game I rented from Blockbuster when I was a kid but my memory is very vague.

It was a SNES game with a very classic RPG top-down visual style, maybe fantasy (??), but I don't think it had battes like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger, I could be wrong though, I just don't remember them.
One of the thing that I remember best is that right on top of the character head there was a box with a tool (like a hammer or something like that) that you could use to interact with stuff in the game world.
My memory is very fuzzy about this game..I've been looking for this game for years!!! If you could help me I would be very grateful :)

Another hint: I live in Europe so the game must have come out for PAL regions.

Breath of Fire perhaps?

Does anyone know this arcade Contra-influenced game? It's a side scroller shoot em up, you play as a space soldier or something and you kill whole bunch of aliens. The gameplay is very similar to Contra.

This game was for the Amiga. Title seemed to be generic like 'Thunderblade' or something.

The reason the game caught my eye in the first place is that in the photos for the game there would be pop-up video communications in the corner with Macross/Akira style anime characters. One of the screenshots in the magazine ad showed a guy with messy black hair ala Rick Hunter in the pop-up. The game was not Area 88/U.N. Squadron.

For the longest time I remember it being advertised as a mech game. But then I'm also remembering SHMUP elements and now I'm not sure if there were two different games I was impatiently waiting for during that period. The only things I know for sure is the comm window thing and that it was not from the Battletech series.

The advertisement for it was making the rounds in Amiga magazines in the US for like 1-2 years before the game even came out. Was waiting so long I thought it was vaporware. I belive I had bought a magazine in January 1991 with the ad. The ad was full page. I searched the entire Amiga World archive for this time frame and didn't find anything so it must have been in something else or a multi-plat gaming magazine. Also checked various Amiga game web archives page by page looking at screenshots.

bronk

Banned
I need help with a game I used to play in elementary school. Its was on a Apple 2 computer or some old apple computer. I think u were an astronaut and you had to go into the moon. You had to finish math and english puzzles I think. The last boss was like Mother Brain kinda lol. I loved it back then and I cant find it online.

SaviorX

There was a game on the Sega Saturn which was on-rails. There was a segment where I guess the bullets you shot at a snake-like creature looked like CDs. I could've sworn the soundtrack was Aerosmith related but don't quote me on that.

I've had this game in the dark recesses of my brain for like 17 years now. It's obviously not Virtual Cop but something else I can't remember!

There was a game on the Sega Saturn which was on-rails. There was a segment where I guess the bullets you shot at a snake-like creature looked like CDs. I could've sworn the soundtrack was Aerosmith related but don't quote me on that.

I've had this game in the dark recesses of my brain for like 17 years now. It's obviously not Virtual Cop but something else I can't remember!

I have a hard time believing this is anything but Revolution-X. Check that one out.

Top Bottom