• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Netflix Recommendation Thread of Dope Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikyfree

Don't know if they have these on there but here goes- 28 Days Later
Night of the Living Dead, 80's version
Big Trouble in Little China
Nick of Time
Ong-Bak- You'll thank me later.
Metalacalypse, Seasons 1&2
Return of the Living Dead- if you haven't noticed by now, I love zombie movies.
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Evil Dead 1&2
Army of Darkness
MST3K: The Movie
Oh, and ANYTHING for Doctor Who.

Flynn

Rikyfree said:
Don't know if they have these on there but here goes- 28 Days Later
Night of the Living Dead, 80's version
Big Trouble in Little China
Nick of Time
Ong-Bak- You'll thank me later.
Metalacalypse, Seasons 1&2
Return of the Living Dead- if you haven't noticed by now, I love zombie movies.
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Evil Dead 1&2
Army of Darkness
MST3K: The Movie
Oh, and ANYTHING for Doctor Who.

BASTARD. DON'T LIST SHIT THAT ISN'T ON THERE. I ALMOST CREAMED WHEN I SAW METALACALYPSE.

mjc

I would definitely check out the first three series of Doctor Who. They even have lots of the older stuff that I'm gonna check out myself.

Nif

Mejilan said:
Watching Keeping the Faith now.
Gabriel was a pretty decent surprise a few weeks ago.

Is Keeping the Faith the Ben Stiller / Edward Norton Movie? I'm sorry. :(

And Jekyll is pretty good, but it's only 6/8 episodes (of season 1?). First episode is kind of boring, and the plot twists aren't great, but the actor playing Jackman/Hyde is really good. :)

Jack B

nakedsushi said:
I just watched Born into Brothels and really liked it. It's about the children of prostitutes in a red-light district in India. Definitely not a feel-good movie, but very eye-opening.

We saw that too. Very well done.

We watch a ton of independent, documentary and foreign flicks, so Netflix streaming has a terrific selection of those. Much more so than the recent blockbusters, which we don't watch as much anyway. Hollywood movies aren't my favorites.

PacoDG

Decent documentary, just got through watching it right now. There is an abandoned train tunnel in New York where a bunch of homeless people call.. their home. You learn a little about each of the people, how they live, etc. DJ Shadow provides the background music (a very pleasant surprise). Worth watching if you are into documentaries.

Flynn

PacoDG said:

Decent documentary, just got through watching it right now. There is an abandoned train tunnel in New York where a bunch of homeless people call.. their home. You learn a little about each of the people, how they live, etc. DJ Shadow provides the background music (a very pleasant surprise). Worth watching if you are into documentaries.

It's kind of uplifting the way things turn out. You wouldn't think so when you first sit down to watch it.

PacoDG said:

I watched this years ago, it's pretty fascinating.

Nif

I think there's some new stuff up. Dumb and Dumber, Elf (like it didn't repeat on cable tv all season), Advent Children (Pendulum swinging!), Spaceballs, Ace Ventura, more stuff.

Nif said:
Is Keeping the Faith the Ben Stiller / Edward Norton Movie? I'm sorry. :(

And Jekyll is pretty good, but it's only 6/8 episodes (of season 1?). First episode is kind of boring, and the plot twists aren't great, but the actor playing Jackman/Hyde is really good. :)

Jekyll is a mini-series, there is no season 2. It is also written by Stephen Moffat who's a bloody fantastic writer.

xbhaskarx

I know some movies have disappeared recently (Kubrick, etc.), but if you don't delete them, they get moved back to your instant queue if they ever become available again.

Just re-added to instant queue:

The Lives of Others
The Cable Guy
Superbad

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
bugs me that most of what i watch is cropped 4:3. is that just how it is, i guess, or is there a workaround?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Documentary - "Two days in April" - A documentary about 4 college football players going into the NFL draft. Showing the training that their agents put them through and all the work they have to get done before draft day. The climax is draft day. The day they sit and wait for their names to be called. This was probably the best part of the movie for me. How differently they handled the situation was interesting.

Movie - "The Signal" - This movie SUCKED. It couldn't decide if it was going to be a zombie/infected horror movie or a comedy. The worst part is that it started out really, really good and then just went to crap. If it wasn't over an hour and 45 minutes I probably would have liked it more.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
mattiewheels said:
bugs me that most of what i watch is cropped 4:3. is that just how it is, i guess, or is there a workaround?

That's how it is. It seems like a large percentage of the movies available right now are 4:3, but hopefully everything they're ripping from now on is widescreen.

Flynn

duderon said:
That's how it is. It seems like a large percentage of the movies available right now are 4:3, but hopefully everything they're ripping from now on is widescreen.

Are you guys watching the stuff from Starz? Nearly everything I've seen has been the proper aspect ratio.

Just watched an HD movie on the service called "The Viking Sagas." A decent movie if you're into medieval action and such, even if the plot itself is a bit cliche.

I also highly.. HIGHLY recommend that you NOT WATCH the anime "Fencer of Minerva." Oh.. my.. god. I couldn't get that chick's voice out of my head for days.

NorthSouthBBC2004145179_f.jpg

Watch this.

It's fucking awesome.

Fatalah

I just watched "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead" and loved it.

Other movies I've streamed:

"Ordinary People"
"Dog Day Afternoon"
"Bananas"
"The Orphanage"
"Seven"
"...And Justice For All"
"The Hurricane"
"Crimes and Misdemeanors"
"Donnie Brasco"

On my Queue for future viewing:

"Clockwork Orange"
"The Boondock Saints"
"Kramer vs. Kramer"
"Swingers"

woodchuck

i watched the first 15 minutes of The Lives of Others on the netflix streaming and then quit.

It was so frustrating because I feel like I'm missing so much of the dialogue due to the sparse subtitles. Two characters would have a quick conversation and there would NO subtitles. Characters would go 4 lines of dialogue without any subtitles. I kept expecting to see words pop up on the screen when a character spoke, but nothing would appear.

Neo Ned - Pretty Damn Good.
Bella - Awesome!
Descent - Rosario Dawson, Some fucked up crap in this movie. Gotta see the ending! ROFL!
Exiled
Cleaner - Samuel Jackson
The Air I Breathe
Before The Rains
Cashback
Never Forever
The Civilization of Maxwell Bright - Turned out to be pretty good. At first I was like WTF? Was this made in the basement?
Shanghai Kiss - fuck everything else, it has Hayden P in it!
Before the Devil Knows your dead
Dandelion
The City of Men
The Hudsucker proxy
Strays
Steel City
Crossroads
Love the Hard Way - Adrien Brody

TV Shows:
Dead Like Me - WATCH THIS! Simply good.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Flynn said:
Are you guys watching the stuff from Starz? Nearly everything I've seen has been the proper aspect ratio.

I think all the stuff from Starz has been fine. Eyes Wide Shut and Paths of Glory were both 4:3, as well as numerous documentaries I've watched.

The Journey - Lesbeian Flick. Tis Good. :D
Saawariya
Spider Lillies
Kings & Queen
Caramel
Angel-A
Chunhyang
OASIS
Springtime in a Smalltown
Blood Brothers
Yesterday
Love is Colder than Death
In cold Blood
BLOW
No end in Sight - Awesome documentary on the events leading up to the War in IRAQ.
Innocent Voices

If any of you liked my recommendations let us know how you liked the movie. I enjoyed each one. Some more than others of course. But each has its own unique quality. And all VERY GOOD for instant que netflix watching.

Muerte_X

PSGames said:
whats the verdict on Grindhouse?

Just start watching it, if you can't make it past the fake trailers, chances are you won't like the movies. If you like those types of movies or the movies they're influenced by, then you'll probably like it. They're the kind of movies you can't take seriously to enjoy. Cheesy lines, plots, and lots of gore.

Planet Terror, has a girl with a machine gun for a leg. If that doesn't sound awesome to you, then stay away, lol. Also has a zombie like infection that spreads among the town.

Deathproof, starts out slow and pretty boring, but has some very cool action sequences with old muscle cars. Especially the final chase scene.

TP

Heads up, Paprika can now be streamed
It's a great movie, reminds me of Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue.

Flynn

duderon said:
I think all the stuff from Starz has been fine. Eyes Wide Shut and Paths of Glory were both 4:3, as well as numerous documentaries I've watched.

That makes sense. Many docs are shot in that format. Paths of Glory was shot 1:33 to 1 and apparently Eyes at 1:66 to 1, so close to the "academy ratio" that they frequently crop rather than letterbox.

Being There

I just found this via Netflix recommendation.

I saw this about 7 years ago in a film class, and I didn't forget it.

Will be watching with the missus, hope she will appreciate. Great film.

Rikyfree said:
Because I can, get over it.
It sounds to me like you fucked up and didn't understand the thread fully. And instead of just admitting you messed up, you've put on your keyboard warrior superhero outfit in an attempt to not look like a douche. It's not working.

2DMention

Banned
LIST OF EVIL FALSITIES

I CAN'T UNREAD THIS.

I LoL'd

Eagle Vs. Shark

Think Napoleon Dynamite except it's about video game nerds and stars a dude from Flight of the Concords. Has some great stuff "Dangerous Person," "I look better online" T-shirt

Excellent movie. I have it on DVD.

King Corn is an interesting documentary about the corn industry.
Tycho from Penny Arcade recommended Helvetica, a good look at type faces in general and how they effect people.

cribbs542

gray_fox224 said:
All I do with Netflix is constantly rewatch episodes of The Office.

Yes.

This and 30 Rock. I wish they would jump on board with Heroes and put the newest seasons up.

Also, I've been watching Voltron! Haven't seen it in maybe 8 or 9 years.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
CRASH TV SERIES SEASON 1
Man on Wire
Do it!!!!!

They are adding stuff all the time. I have watched so many movies. The good thing about netflix is, since you pay a flat rate you are more willing to watch some stuff you may have otherwise not rented.

Vantage Point
Blow
Cleaner

are all up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom