• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Kyūkon

Neo Member
Oh God. I have a feeling I played this when I was younger but I have no idea what it was. Now I need to know too.

I know, this thing has been bugging me for months now!

It is a relief to hear that my description was able to at least ring a bell.

C'mon fellow 90s kids, help us with a name here.

eshwaaz

This one has been driving me crazy for ages.

C-64 game from the mid '80s, clearly inspired by the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi. Viewed from behind the tiny player-controlled hover bike. Flat green landscape, with some sparse "scaling" trees you have to dodge. You shoot a few enemy bikes, then fight a "boss." Repeat.

This one has been driving me crazy for ages.

C-64 game from the mid '80s, clearly inspired by the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi. Viewed from behind the tiny player-controlled hover bike. Flat green landscape, with some sparse "scaling" trees you have to dodge. You shoot a few enemy bikes, then fight a "boss." Repeat.

Sounds like it's Sky Runner. Haven't heard of this game. You control a larger ship but there's a speeder bike you can drop down (you can see it in the "demo" or attract mode), although I have no idea how to switch to that speeder.

EDIT: Just read it in a ZZap! 64 review, you can drop the speeder down once you destroy a number of towers.

Metzhara

While waiting for my GAF approval, there was a game I had been attempting to remember for years. When I lived in Okinawa, there was an arcade behind one of the stores in an alley. Truth be told, I think back now and I'm pretty certain it was a bar and the nice men let us play their machines. Thank God Okinawans were cool.
My brother and I would go in and play. It was an arcade machine where one person was a jeep and the other was a tank.
I spent YEARS looking into this and ALL of the people I knew had never played the damned thing. I did google searches, I even did visual searches through KLOV. Nothing.
Then, an accidental internet search yielded what I was looking for:

Silkworm

Unfortunately, this guy was only playing with the "heli." I loved playing this with my little brother. I just had to share... I know the feeling of going nearly insane trying to remember that thing... that one thing... -Adam

LuFel

An Old game of Pc from the style of space invaders...only remember a white canon shooting at parachute guys falling from above... here is a drawing in paint of that game:

Juego.png

xDDD...

anybody knows that game?

I'm copy/pasting this from another thread, I was told here would be the place to get help :

I remember playing some a Spiderman game where there was a giant Spiderman on the right of the screen, and when you got hit you started to see Spidey's skeleton, from his feet...
Can't find it, it was on a computer.
Anyone got the name ?

It's definitely The Amazing Spider-Man. I used to play this game on the C64 a lot.

It was a PS1 game. I remember it came i the original PS1 case (long black case). The main character looked like a Johnny Bravo clone and had this funny looking green guitar thing. I also think you would collect yellow music notes and everytime he strung the guitar thing, it would kill the monsters

It was a PS1 game. I remember it came i the original PS1 case (long black case). The main character looked like a Johnny Bravo clone and had this funny looking green guitar thing. I also think you would collect yellow music notes and everytime he strung the guitar thing, it would kill the monsters

That would be Johnny Bazookatone, I love the main theme in the (painfully long) intro.

Kyūkon;83965565 said:
I know, this thing has been bugging me for months now!

It is a relief to hear that my description was able to at least ring a bell.

C'mon fellow 90s kids, help us with a name here.

This is a longshot, but maybe it's Egger Land?

A bit more info would be helpful, like which version of Windows you played it on. Something about the graphics could help, was it all 2D, maybe pre-rendered sprites like Donkey Cong Country, full 3D, if maybe the graphics are comparable to some other game, if the game's bettter or worse looking than Egger Land, for example?

mclem

Johnny Bazookatone?

A Commodore 64(C64) game I played back in the day. It was a side-scrolling, top view, shooter (man and gun only!!, no space ship/vehicle types). You could choose the planets(stages) which had different amounts of reward(money) depending on their difficulty.

Ammo(grenades, dynamite, etc)and health packs were acquired before the start of each mission. Space Bar(on the keyboard) was the grenade button, dynamite was required to break through linear barricades in some of the harder stages.

I'm 99% sure i played this on cassette, this game had far too much "stuff" for a cartridge.

The choice of planets and the sidescrolling part sound like Soldier of Light (Xain'd Sleena), but it's not top down.

EDIT: Looks like it's Star Soldier.

Kyūkon

Neo Member
This is a longshot, but maybe it's Egger Land?

A bit more info would be helpful, like which version of Windows you played it on. Something about the graphics could help, was it all 2D, maybe pre-rendered sprites like Donkey Cong Country, full 3D, if maybe the graphics are comparable to some other game, if the game's bettter or worse looking than Egger Land, for example?

Thanks for the reply, ichtyander! Egger Land is still not what I was looking for though.

I used to play in on a Windows 95 probably, I remember playing Dangerous Dave in that same age if that serves of any help.

The graphics were pretty colorful, it was all 2D and it was less detailed than Egger Land. It had fairly simple looking graphics, you know?

I've tried to locate any similar looking games on dosgamesarchive but couldn't see anything useful.

eshwaaz

Sounds like it's Sky Runner. Haven't heard of this game. You control a larger ship but there's a speeder bike you can drop down (you can see it in the "demo" or attract mode), although I have no idea how to switch to that speeder.

EDIT: Just read it in a ZZap! 64 review, you can drop the speeder down once you destroy a number of towers.
Yes - that's it! Thank you! You have ended years of personal suffering and mental anguish.

I can't find the name of this horrible game (for SNES or Sega something) in wich you were like a space soldier... blonde I think, maybe with black eyebrows. You had to kill aliens, I recall first person shooting parts.

bjork

I'm copy/pasting this from another thread, I was told here would be the place to get help :

I remember playing some a Spiderman game where there was a giant Spiderman on the right of the screen, and when you got hit you started to see Spidey's skeleton, from his feet...
Can't find it, it was on a computer.
Anyone got the name ?

The Amazing Spider-Man?

intellivision game where there was three rounds of gameplay airplanes , tanks, and racing a car avoiding traffic coming towards you..

Triple Action.

I'm trying to find a game that looks remarkably like the one linked below, except there was no ship and you just fell down through the tunnel in first-person view. I think there were four or so different tunnels with their own soundtracks; I remember a heavy metal and reggae theme. I cannot recall what platform it was on. I think it might have been iPhone, because I think it used accelerometer, but I can't find it amongst my apps.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/FSY9QlQHdWPP6KbHZ4Iu1LcWS7IPayGe

valouris

Sorry if it has already been posted before. And sorry if the information is way beyond the actual game :p

I remember a game, it was 3rd person 3D action/adventure/stealth from the PS1 era. I had it on PC though. It may have been a demo, not sure.

The opening level I think was in a museum and you had to dodge anti-theft laser beams. I vaguely remember a fight with a knight as well in a wooden building however. There may have been some time shenanigans going on.

Any ideas?

Grudy

So the first PS2 game I bought (and lost very quickly :[ ) was a game about herding a bunch of different cute animals of some sorts. I remember parts where you had to trap these big monster goons before they ate the cute animals/creatures and herding was done by using special instruments (like placing a stick on the ground and then these pink creatures swarm around them).

Ok that was an bad description but I've always wanted to try that game again. I really liked it and it had a very light heart-ed style.

GrayFoxPL

So the first PS2 game I bought (and lost very quickly :[ ) was a game about herding a bunch of different cute animals of some sorts. I remember parts where you had to trap these big monster goons before they ate the cute animals/creatures and herding was done by using special instruments (like placing a stick on the ground and then these pink creatures swarm around them).

Ok that was an bad description but I've always wanted to try that game again. I really liked it and it had a very light heart-ed style.

Herdy Gerdy

Kolma

Was a street brawler except you were a robot and you can choose your parts and such before the level started such as a chainsaw hand.
Cant remember if it was strict 2D, or if you could walk up and down as well
Was for the Sega Genesis. Had a silver robot/android on the cover

DTJAAAAM

Was a street brawler except you were a robot and you can choose your parts and such before the level started such as a chainsaw hand.
Cant remember if it was strict 2D, or if you could walk up and down as well
Was for the Sega Genesis. Had a silver robot/android on the cover

Cyborg Justice.

mui

Neo Member
Does anyone remembers a (cartoonish?) Open world racing game on the ps2 with cars that talk (no humans)?

I remember that you could upgrade your car to let it glide/fly/swim under water and such? And there are minigames like football but with cars. I spent HUNDREDS of hours on that game, does anyone know what it's called?

Kolma

Does anyone remembers a (cartoonish?) Open world racing game on the ps2 with cars that talk (no humans)?

I remember that you could upgrade your car to let it glide/fly/swim under water and such? And there are minigames like football but with cars. I spent HUNDREDS of hours on that game, does anyone know what it's called?

Road Trip Adventures?

Fyrion

Snake Rattle 'n' Roll?

*Googles it*

YES!! This undoubtebly is the game I was looking for. Thank you very much. My memories about Snake Rattle 'n' Roll were too vague enough to mistakenly remember the form of this snakes like coils or springs.

Summoner

A Commodore 64(C64) game I played back in the day. It was a side-scrolling, top view, shooter (man and gun only!!, no space ship/vehicle types). You could choose the planets(stages) which had different amounts of reward(money) depending on their difficulty.

Ammo(grenades, dynamite, etc)and health packs were acquired before the start of each mission. Space Bar(on the keyboard) was the grenade button, dynamite was required to break through linear barricades in some of the harder stages.

I'm 99% sure i played this on cassette, this game had far too much "stuff" for a cartridge.

The choice of planets and the sidescrolling part sound like Soldier of Light (Xain'd Sleena), but it's not top down.

EDIT: Looks like it's Star Soldier.
Yeeeeesssssss, thats the one!! Star Soldier.

Thank you, good Sir.

Kolma

Here's another game I remember from my early childhood on PS1
All I remember is being a man walking along cliffs. it was full 3D (like tomb raider)
But I don't really remember anything from it..
Everything was very light brown and it had some platforming in it from what I remember (from rock island in the sky to rock island in the sky) Everyting was flat for the most part
Can't really remember much else though...

I wanna say it had some climbing, The game ran like crap from what I remember.

Another game is another PS1 title
This one I remember a TON more about
It's a 4 player fighting game sorta isometric like powerstone.
All the characters were drawn in similar to comic zone.
It had a 1 player mode where enemies were drawn in as defeated and then you would fight a main fighter as a boss.
all the specials looked like they were made of paper/drawing

Trying to find the first game I found the second one... Go figure
Rakugaki Showtime.

teepo

as a kid, i bought this Mechwarrior 2 knockoff from Microcenter where instead of your standard humanoid/cat inspired mechs, the designs were derived from insects and arthropods.

the game was kindof shitty but entertaining enough. i had recently attempted searching for it but i couldn't find anything.

Here's another game I remember from my early childhood on PS1
All I remember is being a man walking along cliffs. it was full 3D (like tomb raider)
But I don't really remember anything from it..
Everything was very light brown and it had some platforming in it from what I remember (from rock island in the sky to rock island in the sky) Everyting was flat for the most part
Can't really remember much else though...

I wanna say it had some climbing, The game ran like crap from what I remember.

Maybe Time Commando?
862663-timecom1.jpg

Kolma

Maybe Time Commando?
862663-timecom1.jpg

graphically looked similar to this but might lighter cliff sides with much worse textures
And I only ever played the first level
Couldn't beat it.. don't remember what stopped me.
it felt like a game that took place in the future not so much time traveling.

graphically looked similar to this but might lighter cliff sides with much worse textures
And I only ever played the first level
Couldn't beat it.. don't remember what stopped me.
it felt like a game that took place in the future not so much time traveling.

Perfect Weapon?

Perfect%20Weapon-PSX-NTSC-US.jpg

Xenus

Okay! I have another game I reference ALL THE TIME but I can't find what it is for the life of me. It was either PS1 or N64 around 1997-1999. There is a dude with a sword that talks..And I only remember ONE SCENE. You are on the docks of some place and you see a busty young lady. And the sword goes

"What do you eat to make your boobs so big??"

And the girl is like "huh?" And the dude you are playing tries to play it off.

Yes i know it's way late but it took a while to get account approval.

It's actually an early PS2 game called Ephemeral Fantasia. The sword is also a lute and it include some guitarr hero style gameplay long before it became populat. Though it was done with the controler. Also the world is time based.

600full-ephemeral-fantasia-screenshot.jpg

Top Bottom