• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Divius

Looked up a second thing on my otherwise blind playthrough, how to access a DLC area. I mean, no way I would figure that one out on my own. Even though I found one DLC totally by accident. So now I entered S
hulva
!

Anyway, other then the DLC I am somewhat stuck in the main story line and need some guidance;

1. Is there any particular point in the game where I should be doing the DLC areas?
2. I assume the big ass
Ancient Dragon
is an optional boss, should I kill it?

and most importantly: 3. How do I use the
Ashen Mist Heart
? I am guessing this is the way forward in the story, but I am unsure and would rather get some pointers from people in here then look that up as well. To give an idea whereabouts I am in the story; I found
Vendrick
but he is just walking around aimlessly.
335300_2015-04-13_0005wkmf.png

Ayt

Banned
`2q
I killed the dragonrider so they're making my way to the Old Dragonslayer a living hell. Might just pick stuff off one by one 15 times to make it easier but that's quite a timesink.

You could also come back later unless you really need to kill that boss right at the moment for some reason. Considering the increase in difficulty with the awakened knights and the dragon in your path, I think they made if fairly clear you weren't supposed to immediately fight the next boss in that area.

is there a weapon class that is overpowered in this? I always end up regretting my choice of weapon in souls games

I was thinking about going with some kind of mace/morning star since i had fun with that in demon's souls, and my previous DS2 build was dex/faith so i want to try strength/magic

There are a lot of armored enemies in DS2 and nearly all armored enemies are weakest to strike damage. The mace can take you through the entire game if you want, though on my hammer builds I usually end up using something else later on. Two handed R1 attacks with the mace and other hammer class weapons can really punish enemies with damage and stun lock because they hit hard and you can chain together swings fairly quickly.

You also get the craftman's hammer early in the game (provided you know how to get it) and that has an excellent move set (the one handed R1 attack is an overhand swing copied from the axe class weapons that is faster than the other hammer weapons), very good reach, and does high damage for when you receive it.

I'm guessing you just named the wrong stat here, but endurance only impacts stamina and hp in DS2. You'll want to increase vitality to increase your weight limit.

Hmm possibly, the one that puts up the weight % atleast. Maybe it because Im wearing this absurd armour from the huge knights in the tower but my stamina drops after 3 swings.

Nephtes

Plan worked! Woke up super early this morning and went to
Belfry Luna
... Not one single invasion from a bell bro.
Rung the bell
and killed the
gargoyles
in one go.

This of course after being a bell bro for the last few days and obtaining 22 titanite chunks and 3 titanite slabs for making other peoples lives miserable... I feel awful about it.

not really...

So now it has been a bit of time that passed....

Is this game worth a full price purchase if I already played the PS3 version with all the DLC?

I'm debating on picking it up or not

Roussow

Is this game worth a full price purchase if I already played the PS3 version with all the DLC?

If you've played the dlc already I wouldn't pay full price for it. The only reason I double-dipped is because I never played any of the dlc's. If I had I'd only pick this up if a friend wanted to do co-op or something. Enemy placements (while good) don't justify that purchase, in my opinion.

i paid $60 for this on ps4 even though i couldve gotten it for like 20 on PC lol. but i did that bc pvp is endless fun for me and there are less cheaters on console.

Wtf are you meant to do against that dragon that wasn't there before but now is, you know what I mean. The white knights are hard enough but fuuuuuuuuck that thing.

Wtf are you meant to do against that dragon that wasn't there before but now is, you know what I mean. The white knights are hard enough but fuuuuuuuuck that thing.

ive been putting this off too. vig is my highest stat tho now (50 lol) so it should be a breeze for me now but. Where is flash sweat?

Plan worked! Woke up super early this morning and went to
Belfry Luna
... Not one single invasion from a bell bro.
Rung the bell
and killed the
gargoyles
in one go.

This of course after being a bell bro for the last few days and obtaining 22 titanite chunks and 3 titanite slabs for making other peoples lives miserable... I feel awful about it.

not really...

yeah i have a stupid amount of tit chunks but not enough regular titanite and large shards. i don't want to purchase them so idk where good spots to farm them are. my greatsword is +10 though so i'm not super worreid about it. probably not gonna bother upgrading any armor, its really menial in ds2 imo

are there any good spots for twinkling pre drangelic? i just got the craftsman hammer and it owns shit, completely outdates my hand axe, fantastic finishing weapon in pvp. you can't get a second one to dual wield can you? i wonder what i should potentially dual wield with the craftsman. maybe just the hand axe or something.

I give the mule saves a week before they run rampant-
(already know of 2 being made now)

the amount of people who will use mules on consoles vs pc is always much much lower tho. simply bc its an extra step that lazy people don't want to do. its not a huge difference, but as someone who'll spend dozens and dozens of hours pvping a few less cheaters is worth it imo.

Nephtes

Keep to the right side of the bridge, his fire goes there last. Sprint to it and at the last second when he breaths fire, roll forward. Ditch your shield and wield your weapon with two hands for additional damage and take him out at the legs BEFORE he flies up. Otherwise you're toast. Also roll when he foot stomps. It's actually not that bad.

the amount of people who will use mules on consoles vs pc is always much much lower tho. simply bc its an extra step that lazy people don't want to do. its not a huge difference, but as someone who'll spend dozens and dozens of hours pvping a few less cheaters is worth it imo.

agreed- I will say my time with DS on PC was a full of people using trainers. So annoying the soft bans werent really regulated.

Corpekata

Banned
Just sprint in, hack it's legs. If you make it past the initial fire breath it's an easy fight.

There's also
a summon near the dragonrider if you need the extra DPS/ meatshield.

so far with my low damage stat build (50 health, 20 end and str, 22 adp, almost nothing anywhere else) i seem to be favoring greatsword (regular upgrades), butcher knife ( PDB), and craftsman hammer (twinkling). dex is so lame, not interested in abusing lag to phantom hit people 6 times in a row. my build's been interesting. still less than 700k SM, i can roll through most everything and have enough health to make battles a little long.

i like this build tho cos even tho i have low damage output it just makes fights a little longer which is more fun to me. i'd rather pick my spots and try to hit someone 20 times and beat them over some stupid dark magic super buff one hit instakills.

im debating if i want to cap my SM eventually. because once you keep going and going and going eventually you run into so many glass cannon one hit kill fighters. its lame. i like a long fight. level 20 - 100 fights on DS1 were my shit

or, kill everything up to that point, stay in the langing below the stairs, and cheese him with arrows till he drops.

Mind you, he starts getting up and tossing fireballs at you from up there, but you can run out of the way easy before he does that.

Kazuhira

or, kill everything up to that point, stay in the langing below the stairs, and cheese him with arrows till he drops.

Mind you, he starts getting up and tossing fireballs at you from up there, but you can run out of the way easy before he does that.

yeah,that´s what i did.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Up to Iron Keep and I am loving it now. The game really front loads with some pretty weak areas. So happy I kept myself in the dark on this game so I can go through like it is day 1 all over again.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of the Craftsman's Hammer, that thing is dope. I have it at +3 right now and it owns pretty much everything, although I think I'm still early in the game (just about to start Iron Keep). The only problem is it upgrades via Twinkling Titanite and that stuff is really rare to come across.

Now if only I could find a Claymore; that's the weapon I used in Dark Souls 1.

SkylineRKR

I love the Pursuer right now. Have it up to +2 and those bones are probably a pain to get but it annihilated the gargoyles.

I killed the dragonrider so they're making my way to the Old Dragonslayer a living hell. Might just pick stuff off one by one 15 times to make it easier but that's quite a timesink.

Yeah its better to wait with the Dragon Rider. I made the same mistake. I eventually pulled them one by one and shot the dragon with arrows.

Ok finally got the game and going to fire it up later tonight. Wanting to do a melee build first. Is STR/FAITH still good or should I just go Quality build?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Speaking of the Craftsman's Hammer, that thing is dope. I have it at +3 right now and it owns pretty much everything, although I think I'm still early in the game (just about to start Iron Keep). The only problem is it upgrades via Twinkling Titanite and that stuff is really rare to come across.

Iron Keep is early in the game? o_O

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I still find club and reinforced club to be stronger. But I've only got the hammer +3 so far.

Santiako

dlc bosses are destroying me,been stuck on
thatwhite tiger
for DAYS

If you are fighting him while he is invisible, stop and explore the area to make him visible. If not, the boss is fairly simple, just roll towards him when he attacks and keep between his legs.

pager99

Playing PvP in undead purgatory using my +5 moded roaring halbred to dark
its actually pretty beastly and I'm winning a few matches for a change
if anyone's interested you get it off straid in lost Bastille for a boss soul can't remember which one, it scales with dexterity well

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Iron Keep is early in the game? o_O

getting the 4 primal souls, which sounds like any normal game's main objective,
isnt even half the game in vanilla, much less with dlc. i'd say its a third of the game now

Hah I am actually using a dark Craftman's Hammer for my hex build just cause it feels good to use.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
isnt even half the game in vanilla, much less with dlc. i'd say its a third of the game now

Welp. If I get one in the Iron Keep it would be my third primal soul, lol.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm curious if this version of the game improved Frigid Outskirts at all. Especially in regards to visibility. That area really soured me on the whole third DLC.

I have only been to the gate of that particular area so far and it was like white out conditions, which I find to be an amazing switch from being in pitch black. I could see just enough of the ground to slowly make my way. I can only imagine what awaits me there.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

That's amazing. I'm 21 hours in and have only gotten 1 primal bonfire so far. This game has content for days.

Also I've been reading a lot of bitching about Earthen Peak but I actually really liked that area. I progressed very slowly and methodically through it and with the exception of an invasion I didn't die once. Yeah you get ambushed a lot but if you're aware of your surroundings and you don't just run blindly into rooms then it's very manageable.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What armor do you guys use? I've been upgrading my wander's coat and have been switching between Vengarl's and Draenglaic armor when I need more defense. Both are a pain to upgrade since I need twinkling titanite.

Santiako

What armor do you guys use? I've been upgrading my wander's coat and have been switching between Vengarl's and Draenglaic armor when I need more defense. Both are a pain to upgrade since I need twinkling titanite.

Vengalr's Helm and the Aurous set for the rest. Looks amazing and it's relatively light.

ironcreed

Banned
That's amazing. I'm 21 hours in and have only gotten 1 primal bonfire so far. This game has content for days.

Also I've been reading a lot of bitching about Earthen Peak but I actually really liked that area. I progressed very slowly and methodically through it and with the exception of an invasion I didn't die once. Yeah you get ambushed a lot but if you're aware of your surroundings and you don't just run blindly into rooms then it's very manageable.

Yep, the game is huge and has amazing variety. You will have a nice stretch to go even after you get the 4 Souls, plus the DLC.

Captcha

I'm curious if this version of the game improved Frigid Outskirts at all. Especially in regards to visibility. That area really soured me on the whole third DLC.

I never played the third DLC before now, but I'm guessing no because the limited visibility thing was definitely there and seemed like a mechanic they were after.

tbh i wouldn't recommend upgrading any armor past like +2 unless you literally wear it 100% of the time (like hexers hood for casters), you'll get a lot more out of them by saving them for eventual weapons you want to upgrade IMO

just fashion souls unless you want to utilize armor with certain traits (like the HH)

Nephtes

Elite Knight set.
There is no other...

Top Bottom