• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, lets play Guild Wars.

Carm

So, I picked up the trilogy and EotN during the Steam summer sale. Can someone clarify/help with some questions about the game/classes?

It seems to always be suggested to start with Prophecies as a newbie, but I like the models from Nightfall. I've read you can swap between the campaigns, so would it be possible to start a character through Nightfall and just go straight to Prophecies to start questing from there instead? Without gaining levels etc. beforehand.

If that does work, and I do it, will Prophecies landscape be pre searing, or is the only way for that to happen is starting Prophecies first?

I'll be soloing 100% of the time, just want to get use to how GW plays, in prep for GW2. So, from what I'm reading, there are non configurable henchmen in Prophecies or Heroes in Nightfall that you can customize. Is it absolutely required to customize them, or are they basically pre built for roles?

Class choice

I want to play a Ranger of some type, does a pet come with all builds of a Ranger or just if you focus beast mastery? If you do focus that, unless I read wrong, you basically only have skills for the pet and not yourself?

What would be a good class to sub into as a solo only ranger, with the least amount of tedium? When I say that, I mean, solo enjoyable like WoW, and not grindy shit like EQ1. Do Ranger pets tank for you, or just dps? Set up similar to hunters in WoW?

What would be a good build for a complete soloing?

So, basically, I want to avoid human interaction, this late into the games life, just a primer for GW2, and maybe get some of that HoM stuff for GW2. Time isn't an issue, besides the looming release date.

Any answers to these questions, will be appreciated.

Does anyone have a link to the HoM and how to get started? I've just started playing EotN, not played since Prophecies came out and I'm level 4. I want to get a few things before GW2 hits.

Carm said:
So, I picked up the trilogy and EotN during the Steam summer sale. Can someone clarify/help with some questions about the game/classes?

It seems to always be suggested to start with Prophecies as a newbie.
If you prefer Nightfall models, go for it, in fact id say playing NF will net you "Heroes" which are far better than normal Henchman, though for a new player henchman could still be useful depending how many skills you have unlocked, but over all playing solo Heroes are the way to go, so Nightfall is a good start.
To get to Prophesies you need to do "terror in Tyria" Once you reach the Consulate Docks Mission Town.

If that does work, and I do it, will Prophecies landscape be pre searing, or is the only way for that to happen is starting Prophecies first?
Pre-Searing is for Prophecies Characters only.
If cosmetics is your concern and you would prefer to start with a prophecies character there is a Stylist you can use to change your appearance after creation, to gain access to the Nightfall faces/Hair, the only down side is you need to use Real money to buy points in order to use it.

I want to play a Ranger of some type, does a pet come with all builds of a Ranger.
Once you have captured a pet you only need one skill on your bar "Comfort Animal" to use it, so you can use it for any build, regardless of how many points you invest in Beast Mastery, how ever all it will do is a standard attack, adding points and using Beast Mastery however will make more use of the pet with skills, some that effect both of you making it a little more useful iv never really tried anything with a pet before, so I can't offer much more advice.

What would be a good build for a complete soloing?
Iv never really played Ranger so can't answer this one fully but a few people I know use Assassin as a 2nd, with Critical Strikes + Barrage, again I'm not to familiar with the Ranger.

Sourtreats said:
Does anyone have a link to the HoM and how to get started? I've just started playing EotN, not played since Prophecies came out and I'm level 4. I want to get a few things before GW2 hits.

Hall of Monument Site.
http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

Before you can start adding things to your Hall found via the "Eye of the North" Outpost, you need to complete the primary quest for each Race ie, Asura, Norn, Vanguard, Deldrimor and add the Tapestry you get as a reward from each.

Came across this Guide that might help.

I have not played much since 2007, but I still think I will be able to answer most of your questions.
It seems to always be suggested to start with Prophecies as a newbie, but I like the models from Nightfall. I've read you can swap between the campaigns, so would it be possible to start a character through Nightfall and just go straight to Prophecies to start questing from there instead? Without gaining levels etc. beforehand.

It is possible to go to prophecies(Tyria) right away before gaining any levels, but you have to pay other people, who have a spesific quest activated, to ferry you to Tyria. I think it might be hard to gather enough money to do this if you intend to avoid leveling. You could reach Tyria yourself, but that will take a lot of time, and you will probarly have reached lvl.15 by the time you have progressed enough to be able to accept the quest. You also end up in the middle of the prophecies campaign in Tyria, and there is no way to reach pre searing. You also have to travel half the world map of Tyria if you plan to play the missions in the right order.

I'll be soloing 100% of the time, just want to get use to how GW plays, in prep for GW2. So, from what I'm reading, there are non configurable henchmen in Prophecies or Heroes in Nightfall that you can customize. Is it absolutely required to customize them, or are they basically pre built for roles?

The heroes comes equiped with very few skills, so you have to buy a lot of skills from skill traders in order to get the right skills for a specific build. It will probarly take some time before you can use the most popular builds, and they only earn experience when you use them.

I want to play a Ranger of some type, does a pet come with all builds of a Ranger or just if you focus beast mastery? If you do focus that, unless I read wrong, you basically only have skills for the pet and not yourself?

You can change everything except your main class, so it doesnt mather what you choose to specialize in. You can change your build every time you enter a town.

Carm

Thanks a bunch, both of you, that helps a lot. I guess I'll just go through Prophecies first. I have one last question regarding accounts. If I don't plan to buy anything from the store, I don't need to create a ncsoft master account right? Otherwise you do if you want to buy stuff?

Quick Edit: When starting prophecies, I can eventually take that character through factions and nightfall right? And the searing thing happens in some story event I'm guessing?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Woo, glad to see some Gaffers are still playing this. Do we have a GAF guild going by chance?

I also picked this up during the Steam sale and have yet to really give it some playtime. Just downloaded Dungeon Fighter Online the other day and Im trying Dragon's Nest today, so balancing the three might be kind of hard.

Carm said:
Thanks a bunch, both of you, that helps a lot. I guess I'll just go through Prophecies first. I have one last question regarding accounts. If I don't plan to buy anything from the store, I don't need to create a ncsoft master account right? Otherwise you do if you want to buy stuff?

Quick Edit: When starting prophecies, I can eventually take that character through factions and nightfall right? And the searing thing happens in some story event I'm guessing?

Iv always had a Master account so I'm not 100% sure, but from what iv read no you don't need one, here is a link with the "Game Account Faqs." Might have some answers, but if you don't want the store you should be good.. can always make one and link it to your game account at a latter date anyway.

When starting prophecies, I can eventually take that character through factions and nightfall right?
Absolutely, you can take your character anywhere you want across all campaigns, you just need to complete a quest that will give your character access.

EDIT: And part of the story yes, provided you start as a Prophecies character, the other campaigns start off differently, and wont see this event.

Carm

Thanks a bunch.

Quick Edit: Almost forgot about this. In regards to graphics etc. I noticed messing around in Prophecies, trees in particular, would pop into view much closer than you'd normally see. I have everything set to max. Is there some setting somewhere, that I can extend it to where the pop up doesn't happen? I don't see any ini files in the usual places and the game folder only has 4 files in it, which is odd.

Tomat

I'm not really sure what class I want to pick. Playing ranged classes is usually weird for me since I don't know how to handle people when they get close.

Warrior/Monk sound okay.

Also, does this game still have an active community? I haven't grouped with anyone yet, so it feels a little lonely/barren so far. Going through Prophecies first. Is there a man place where everyone hangs out?

froliq

Tomat said:
I'm not really sure what class I want to pick. Playing ranged classes is usually weird for me since I don't know how to handle people when they get close.

Warrior/Monk sound okay.

Also, does this game still have an active community? I haven't grouped with anyone yet, so it feels a little lonely/barren so far. Going through Prophecies first. Is there a man place where everyone hangs out?
So far I have gone about halfway through the Prophecies campaign, did a little Nightfall and Eye of the North for heroes. Kinda put the game on hold now. The community isn't that active at all especially if you don't have a guild like me, it feels very lonely. At peak times some places are pretty filled, mainly the big cities. There will be some actual chat going on there at that point and it seemed that when I switched from my euro to an american district that there seems to be a abit more people. Generally people don't group for things so you don't really get that MMO feel, but it's very solo friendly thanks to heroes and henchmen.

I don't think I have progressed far enough to have found the main hangout place. Atleast I hope so.

The American districts are usually fairly full, Lions Arch, Eye of the North and Kamadan seem to be the main hang out hubs, Kamadan especially for trading.
Great Temple of Balthazar can be an interesting place for local chat ;)
Mission outposts tend to have few people in them these days, if your waiting around for someone to make a group your usually wasting time, better to just ask.

If you/anyone needs help with something in game I know I'm always up for it, I'm sure others would be happy to join in, let us know :)

Carm said:
Quick Edit: Almost forgot about this. In regards to graphics etc. I noticed messing around in Prophecies, trees in particular, would pop into view much closer than you'd normally see. I have everything set to max.
Iv seen a bit of this as well, all maxed out, I can only assume it's just some limitation to the game engine??, if there is another reason or fix I would like to know as well, After a while you just stop noticing.

Tomat said:

Warrior/Monk sound okay.

I would advise against Wa/Mo; I've been out of the game for the past 4 years, but Wammos were the least regarded (and generally source of hilarity) players.

Since you're not going around solo but in a group of 8 (even if all AI-controlled), you'll have dedicated healers, and wasting attributes in healing/protecting is hardly efficient.

You should focus on what primary Warriors do, and that is damage and tanking. Go for ele as secondary (earth for example, to boost armor), you won't regret that (and even if you did, after a certain point in the story you can freely switch your secondary profession, whenever you want). Ranger is a good alternative also (highly efficient defensive stances).

Tomat

JonCha said:
A straight Monk can actually be awesome. I loved just healing.

I may try that, I enjoyed playing a Resto Druid in WoW.

Erasus

I got this a long while ago but in the last few days got into it. All 3 mains+ plus eye of the north.
Started a Proph monk and stuck at 13, soo slow. Got a Sin and a Rit that I went and did to 10 and then took the quest right to eye of the north. Factions is sooo much faster omg, and I like the landscape. I plan of getting to 20 on one of those and then doing Factions. Than maybe do the Monk so I finish Proph! Then I´ll do a dervish or Ele on nightfall. I have had nightfall for several years but never got past lvl 15 haha, always get stuck

Eye is great so far!

Chromax

With GW2 so close, let's get back into this.

Anyone like me trying to go for the HoM points? I'm playing a Ranger/Ele and just finished Prophecy. Guess I'll follow the guide and finish Eye of the North first

Any tips for rangers? I'm having a hard time trying to find a fire damage bow to get the whole Conjure flame > Barrage spam thing going.

Tomat

Come on GAF. You know you want to play a little more Guild Wars.

Mxrz

Secondaries are mostly a waste if you can get the pve skills. For rangers, barrage + Rit's Splinter weapon is about the best. With it you can blast through normal mode easy enough.

Getting 50/50 HoM isn't that hard, the slowest bit is probably doing legendary vanquisher. The PvP title can be a bit of a bitch now days, the easiest being the zkey one which just takes a lot of gold/ecto now.

Starting a character in proph is slow as hell, with limited skill choices too. Factions is insanely fast in comparison but kind of bleh. Nightfall has the best setup, plus you start with heroes. Now that you can have 7 hero parties, you can easily blitz through most of pve by using some of the more common builds.

Problem is, I'd love to get back into the original Guild Wars. The problem is I last played the game back in 2006-2007ish and I only own the original base game (Prophercies) and I'm not too sure I'd be interested in purchasing the rest unless if I could find them in a cheap pack.

Tomat

Problem is, I'd love to get back into the original Guild Wars. The problem is I last played the game back in 2006-2007ish and I only own the original base game (Prophercies) and I'm not too sure I'd be interested in purchasing the rest unless if I could find them in a cheap pack.

If you're fine with playing Prophecies, the only true expansion pack is Eye of the North. I'm not sure if you need Nightfall and Factions for the 30/50 HoM GW2 stuff.

Tomat

Ahh, damn. Definitely worth the pick up if you can find them on sale. I bought all 4 games for $25.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My Dervish/Warrior was doing well, but I got stuck on a mission needed to progress where you have to kill Apocrypha. I would LOVE to play with people still, since I really enjoyed the game if people have lower level characters still.

Tomat

My Dervish/Warrior was doing well, but I got stuck on a mission needed to progress where you have to kill Apocrypha. I would LOVE to play with people still, since I really enjoyed the game if people have lower level characters still.

I'm stuck on this very same mission right now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm stuck on this very same mission right now.

Stupid boss is a bitch. It took forever to get to it, and then we got curb stomped. I'm trying to get my character information back (I can't remember my character name of course) so I can play again.

I have tried over and over to get back into GW just enough to get some more cosmetic items for HoM but I just can't do it. Doesn't help I get steamrolled by normal mobs after setting out to do a bloody questline.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally got my character back. His name is Banana Stereo, and I should be logging on this evening. If anyone still plays and wants to quest/level/kill that bitch Apocrypha, that would be pretty awesome.

alazz

Sure I'll join you. Is that mission Jokanur Diggings? I'll be able to play later tonight. I have a low-level Dervish, Laura Agrippa. I don't know if I have that mission on her but I know Istani quest lines well; if I can't get there in time I'll just play my main Warrior.

I'm stuck at Gate of Madness, all the other campaigns are complete though. Realm of Torment is brutal without good group coordination, man, and heroes don't always cut it. Any tips for soloing it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sure I'll join you. Is that mission Jokanur Diggings? I'll be able to play later tonight. I have a low-level Dervish, Laura Agrippa. I don't know if I have that mission on her but I know Istani quest lines well; if I can't get there in time I'll just play my main Warrior.

I'm stuck at Gate of Madness, all the other campaigns are complete though. Realm of Torment is brutal without good group coordination, man, and heroes don't always cut it. Any tips for soloing it?

Alright, I added you.

I'm not far enough to have done anything but stuff up to the Diggings (yeah, that's the area I need to clear). I only got as far as I did because my brother and I played together. It was much easier to clear stuff when we were able to through "tasks" back and forth and not get stomped.

alazz

The Tomb of the Primeval Kings?

Don't know. Was running Tombs ever really big, because it always seemed like the only benefit it had over UW or even Fissure was that it's free. I tried running it a few times and never got anything worthwhile, but then again Anet's balancers are like schizophrenic or something so I'm not surprised if I just ran it during an "off" period.

I really hope they're a little more level-headed with balancing GW2. The constant nerfing any remotely powerful build was really annoying. Even after they split PvE and PvP skills, Izzy just couldn't let us have any fun. :'( I admit I'm not nearly competent enough with builds to top the good stuff on PvX, and it didn't help the community that knowing those builds was part of pugging for PvE.

nicoga3000 what times are you usually available to play?

The Tomb of the Primeval Kings?

Don't know. Was running Tombs ever really big, because it always seemed like the only benefit it had over UW or even Fissure was that it's free. I tried running it a few times and never got anything worthwhile, but then again Anet's balancers are like schizophrenic or something so I'm not surprised if I just ran it during an "off" period.

Mobs also dropped Ectos (iirc), but for me it was the fun factor! I usually soloed UW and never did much of FoW, but Tombs was a blast!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My Dervish/Warrior is only like level 11 or 12. I just got to the Eye of the North. I want to go back and level/quest so I can get some decent gear.

I haven't been on for the past two nights because I was getting stuff done for my aquarium. I should be on much more regularly starting next week. I work until 4:30 EST weekdays, so I can be on pretty much anytime after 5 EST.

alazz

Awww yeah, Canthan New Year is on. Dragon Arena! Rollerbeetle Racing!

Mobs also dropped Ectos (iirc), but for me it was the fun factor! I usually soloed UW and never did much of FoW, but Tombs was a blast!

Yup they do! I just never got any. :( (I only did it like thrice though, and never a full run.)
Could you post your build? I've got a 20 Ranger doing nothing.

animlboogy I added you too. The quests Quality Steel and Hog Hunt work very well together, and Quality Steel is a great low-level quest to abandon-repeat. An NPC will help you kill 10 enemies, so you have a strong henchman that won't steal exp for 10 kills. You can earn lots of easy exp with the bounties and exp+ scrolls this way, or just have him help with harder quests.

Tomat

Playing on my
waifu
character, Tio Atos. Paragon/Warrior, just hit 15 today. Feel free to send a friend request, just lemme know you're from GAF.

The class seems alright, I've enjoyed it more than Ritualist and Necromancer so far.

DrAg0nBoY

I would love to join, but the problem would be the time zone. Still my IGN is Tanna Banehunter (I think, it's a long time I last played the game) or Lil Boy. Will try to help out if I can.

Wrekt

I somehow completely missed the whole HoM thing while following the development of GW2. So now I'm getting back into it to shoot for 30/50 or as close as I can get before launch. That being said, even the in-depth guides seem to be written in a different language. At first the points just sound like pseudo achievements, but quickly devolve into talk about statues and honor displays and a bunch of other stuff that the HoM guides assume you already know about. So can anybody help me out a bit?

What class should I do this as, knowing that I haven't touched Guild Wars in a few years and I never even hit 20 back in the day? I heard Ritualists have a pretty great solo build and I've leveled one to 10 in a few hours last night (with Monk subjob) in Factions. I also have a level 15 Assassin/Ranger that has been sitting around untouched for years. I also have a Ranger/Ele in Prophecies that I created like a year ago and got to level 10ish. I would stick with the Ritualist but some of the guides mention needing a ranger for taming pets for acquiring statues, but I don't know how that related to getting HoM points.

Second, what order should I complete the campaigns in? I have all 4 and have the most progress in Factions, but I don't know where I should go once I complete it.

And third, what kind of heroes/henchmen should I use? I don't know anybody else that plays so I'll be relying on them for the majority of my time. I haven't picked up a hero yet, or even know when I will find one, but I hear they are the bees knees.

Hello there folks,

long story short I always planned on getting into GW but never actually did :( I played one Rt/Nec up to 20 but hit some wall somewhere and never got back.

Now I feel like I want to give it another shot. TBH I just want to breeze through the campaigns and content and see the setting and the story and perhaps do some PvP (no idea how it works or if I'll have to be in guild or group to do that)

So in your opinion what class/combo would give me just that, I understand all are viable but what would you guys recommend :)

Top Bottom