• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foxconn using forced student labor to build Sony's PS4?

Because when consumers here "$399 US dollars" they are happy and buy the product. Simple fact is, someone/something/someplace, somewhere, somehow suffers for many of the things you love and enjoy. I've chosen to accept this. If I got up in arms about it I'd be a complete hypocrite.

Pretty much this, and western companies also exploit workers...

kitch9

Banned
I trained to be an electronics engineer.

Knowing and having insight into how production works and how production bottlenecks can be created if your design is overly complex is a pretty fucking important thing to know. Having them sit and do the mind numbingly boring repetitive assembly jobs created by an over-elaborate design probably will teach them to avoid that shit at all costs. I used to look at the hundredth board of the day and wonder why the fuck some complete twat designer had placed the one capacitor I had to hand solder where he had.

The electronics production lines I worked on years ago were nothing like the Foxconn lines of today and the massive machines they used to place the tiny components on the boards were mind blowing even then with their size an accuracy.

The Foxconn plant will need to be static and dust free, that means clean and WELL ventilated with filtered air. I imagine China has some really shitty environments to work in, this won't be one of them.

Factories all over the UK expect workers to work 12 hour shifts day and night with 15 minute breaks every 3 hours and a lunch break. My mate works in a glass bottle factory, some of those dudes working on the furnaces have to endure 40-50c heat daily all shift. There's people working 12 hours shifts down the worlds sewers cleaning out all the accumulated rancid cooking fat down there.

Maybe need a bit of perspective on this one.

http://www.ibtimes.com/chinas-foxconn-workers-still-arent-earning-enough-money-952864

Man, this place sounds awful.... Maximum 49 hour working weeks, digs provided, pay rises well above minimum wage, on-site recreational activities and a clean and cool working environment.

I feel really bad for them.

Alx

So instead of tutoring a potential future worker they waste potential on doing something a minimum wage worker could do? It seems incredibly short-sighted.

If the internship is only a one week program, I don't think it's a bad thing at all that students "with potential" get to know such parts of the professional world. When I was in my engineering school, we had to do such an internship for at least one month. The only (major) difference was that is was usually paid, although it wasn't a requirement.
Besides, I don't think it's such a big benefit for the company receiving those students. Sure they get a free work ressource for one week, but the students are unexperimented and would still be less efficient than someone who's been doing it for months/years. The cost of training and decreased production quality can balance part of the money they don't spend on wages.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What an atrocity.

It's the same reason I refuse to support Apple.

mj-laughing.gif

Sorry, but almost every focking hardware device is assembled in Foxconn's factory's. It's not only Sony or Apple...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So instead of tutoring a potential future worker they waste potential on doing something a minimum wage worker could do? It seems incredibly short-sighted.

when internships started, i'm sure they had grand ideas of mentoring future employees and giving them a view into the real world of business.

These days HR probably sees it as an easy way to trim 0.5% off the meat budget

Cant believe this thread is still going

Lets recap= if you buy cheap clothes or trainers at ASDA, Walmart, most USA and UK chains, buy any cheap Electronics or TVs you have probably bought Child labour.

Perspective :

Chinese graduate average salary = 7000 US$ per year....Africa = 1 in 6 children die before they are 5.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, are you suggesting it is OK because they're still alive at graduating age with a likelihood of earning $7k?

Top Bottom