• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

maskrider

Found what I missed, in mission 12, the statue that you beat it until your style raise to a threshold.

Finally completed my full health bar. Time for some rest, passing secret mission 8 took me long enough to have painful fingers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
slade said:
I'm amazed that people actually get stuck at places in this game. It's pretty straightforward.
It is straightforward but I do think Capcom could be a little more clear on what you're supposed to do in the missions. For example, the cutscene where Nero says he needs to get back to HQ to speak with Credo made me think I was supposed to backtrack to the start of the game. I've seen other people who thought the same.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Son of Sparda mode...Is anyone actually doing better on this then Devil Hunter?:lol MY Style points have been ace in this so far

shintoki said:
Son of Sparda mode...Is anyone actually doing better on this then Devil Hunter?:lol MY Style points have been ace in this so far

Same here. I think the enemies extra stamina allows me to build up the style meter longer. Plus, even if you get hit, damage is no longer a rank criteria.

Pimpbaa

Chamber said:
It is straightforward but I do think Capcom could be a little more clear on what you're supposed to do in the missions. For example, the cutscene where Nero says he needs to get back to HQ to speak with Credo made me think I was supposed to backtrack to the start of the game. I've seen other people who thought the same.

I did that first, ugh. So much wasted time.

slade

Chamber said:

During the opening cutscene to mission 2, they say that they must evacuate the residents back to headquarters. The opening part of the game isn't headquarters. And even then, you start the mission facing the door that's the exit. I'd say you kinda just overthought the whole thing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Chamber said:

Heh, I did this too. I was so angry when I found out it was the wrong way, I ended up just restarting the mission.

shintoki said:
Yeah it's easier to get more points, but the enemies hit hard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
chaoticprout said:
Just beat SoS, holy craptastic. Spent an hour on the final boss, what an asshole.
Now go Dante Must Die. Now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
chaoticprout said:
I'm screwing around in Heaven and Hell, but I'll start DMD in a bit. This game is TOO good.
Absolutely. If this game was released last year, it would be my definitive GOTY.

Yoshichan

chaoticprout said:
Any DMD tips before I start?
Try not to hit yourself when getting angry. I did and half my tooth broke, I'm serious :lol (pics back in the thread). Other than that... dunno really :(.

I wish they'd have mapped Trickster to the right stick and made devil bringer the 4th style. I also wish Yamato(and Sparda) were weapons... I want my damn coatless Dante! WTF no extra costumes? Why even bother with a "character select" option?

Also, why the hell is Devil Trigger so lame now? If it weren't for 4 unlockable difficulties and the Bloody Palace, I'd be pissed. Still, I can't stop playing this thing.

DMC5: Lucia tracks down Trish and mentions what had happened to Dante (stuck in the underworld). Lady arrives with the news of the re-emergance of Mundus. With Dante's immense power, it created an imbalance between the human world and demon world. Dante's arrival forced Mundus into the human world. All hell is about to break loose again.

Enter Nero. Trish decides Nero is the only person capable of stopping Mundus and "saving" Dante. Dante on the other hand has his own missions fighting his way through the underworld where he encounters the one and only VERGIL. It's during these encounters when we find out that he had made his way out of the demon world at one time (though extremely weakened by his defeat in DMC1) thanks to Sanctus and crew when they opened the "test" gates in DMC4. He was banished back to the underworld when he was defeated by Nero. Vergil's blade met Nero's and broke. A shard penetrated Nero's arm thus changing it. This is how Agnus acquired the broken Yamato and this is how Nero's arm became demonic.

Seriously, Capcom better do this. How the hell do I come up with this stuff when the people who are paid to do it come up with shit?

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
God's Beard said:
Also, why the hell is Devil Trigger so lame now?

What are you talking about? It modifies the attack properties of certain moves for both Dante and Nero (along with enhancing Devil Buster specials to awesome levels). The only loss is DT Flux, and maybe the weapon-specific enhancements you had in 3.

RyuHayate

MoonsaultSlayer said:
DMC5: Lucia tracks down Trish and mentions what had happened to Dante (stuck in the underworld). Lady arrives with the news of the re-emergance of Mundus. With Dante's immense power, it created an imbalance between the human world and demon world. Dante's arrival forced Mundus into the human world. All hell is about to break loose again.

Enter Nero. Trish decides Nero is the only person capable of stopping Mundus and "saving" Dante. Dante on the other hand has his own missions fighting his way through the underworld where he encounters the one and only VERGIL. It's during these encounters when we find out that he had made his way out of the demon world at one time (though extremely weakened by his defeat in DMC1) thanks to Sanctus and crew when they opened the "test" gates in DMC4. He was banished back to the underworld when he was defeated by Nero. Vergil's blade met Nero's and broke. A shard penetrated Nero's arm thus changing it. This is how Agnus acquired the broken Yamato and this is how Nero's arm became demonic.

Seriously, Capcom better do this. How the hell do I come up with this stuff when the people who are paid to do it come up with shit?

Sounds good, though I'd change one thing: Trish should either be killed or kidnapped.

It would explain Dante's drastic personality change in DMC2 (though he should revert to his former trash talking, cocky self from DMC4).

Also, I think it'd be funny if Nero made his way into Hell near the last part of the game only to find that most of the demons there are all ready dead ('cause Dante slayed 'em all by the time he got there). :lol

Lightning

Banned
Would the Blitz be the hardest non boss enemy ever in a DMC game? I think so. Fuck man. I don't recall any standard enemy giving me such trouble in trying to avoid them.

And any way of combating the lizards when they get infected with that plant and start insanely flying all over the screen?

Narag

Lightning said:
Would the Blitz be the hardest non boss enemy ever in a DMC game? I think so. Fuck man. I don't recall any standard enemy giving me such trouble in trying to avoid them.

And any way of combating the lizards when they get infected with that plant and start insanely flying all over the screen?

Nah and knock the lizard guys down with charged shots. They have a reasonable recovery time so you can either combo it to death before it gets back up or turn your attention to a more immediate threat.

gconsole

RyuHayate said:
Sounds good, though I'd change one thing: Trish should either be killed or kidnapped.

It would explain Dante's drastic personality change in DMC2 (though he should revert to his former trash talking, cocky self from DMC4).

Also, I think it'd be funny if Nero made his way into Hell near the last part of the game only to find that most of the demons there are all ready dead ('cause Dante slayed 'em all by the time he got there). :lol

The only thing to make Dante personal change in DMC2 is Trish death.

Kyouji

gconsole said:

Yeah, no thanks. We don't need to kill Trish off pointlessly and have Dante turning into an emo-wanker (I do not want an Emo Style where Dante cries bloody tears and cuts himself to refill his DT meter kthx). We've already had one filling-your-soul-with-liIIiIIiiiIiiiight moment, we do not need another in the veins of this.

If they must explain away DMC2's changed Dante, just attribute it to some bad leftover pizza or something.

MechaX

gconsole said:

Eh. Until DMC5 makes it decisive, I wouldn't think that any major event caused Dante to be like he was in DMC2, and I also don't think that anything happened to Trish (or at this point, Lady and Nero). If anything, it just seems like Dante just mellowed out with age in combination with no real demon besides Mundus giving him any sort of challenge (Look at the Despair Embodied, whom was hinted to be pretty up there in terms of the demon hierarchy, and Dante barely broke a sweat dispatching it).

And DMC2 Dante is still somewhat as show-boaty as he always was. He just seems even less enthused with everything and everyone than usual.

MechaX said:
Eh. Until DMC5 makes it decisive, I wouldn't think that any major event caused Dante to be like he was in DMC2, and I also don't think that anything happened to Trish (or at this point, Lady and Nero). If anything, it just seems like Dante just mellowed out with age in combination with no real demon besides Mundus giving him any sort of challenge (Look at the Despair Embodied, whom was hinted to be pretty up there in terms of the demon hierarchy, and Dante barely broke a sweat dispatching it).

And DMC2 Dante is still somewhat as show-boaty as he always was. He just seems even less enthused with everything and everyone than usual.
Read the DMC books...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
MechaX said:

That, or DMC2 doesn't really exist.

I like mine better.

slade

Personally, I hope they leave Virgil dead. His story has already been told and he doesn't need to be brought back just for the sake of his fanbase. However, if they do want to bring him back they need to make his return as badass as his character was. What I'd go with, is this:

We know through DMC2 and the anime that sorcery exists in some form in the DMC universe. So we have some Sorcerors try and resurrect a powerful demon for their own various and nefarious purposes. However, the demon they resurrect is Virgil. Within moments of coming into being, he kills the Sorcerors, subverts their followers and then sets about to reclaim everything he has lost.

The opening scene to the game should actually be like DMC4 with Nero rushing through the streets to get to the opera house. However, once he gets there, the place is in ruins. He sees a dark figure standing on stage with Kyrie's dead body beside him. Filled with all the teenage rage he displayed in DMC4, he rushes forward and summarily gets his ass kicked. Vergil takes back Yamato, stabs him through the head and then makes off with the Devil Bringer through some Megaman styled power up mechanic.

Anyway, then I'd pull a fast one and make DMC5 all about Vergil descending to Hell and taking it over from the four Demon Kings mentioned in the anime. This would set up DMC6 nicely with a showdown between Dante and Virgil. There you go, a storyline that could easily encompass two games or more depending on how much Capcom wants to milk the story. They won't do it though because I think they've more or less positioned Nero as the new face of Devil May Cry.

Kyouji

All this story talk has reminded me why you do not let the fanbase touch the canon, even for something as hilarious as DMC.

Back to the game though. Dante + Bloody Palace = Fuck yeah. Most fun I've had since DMC3's Nevan.

Narag

Floor 99.
Hold me, gaf. :(

haha, bloody palace complete! I cheesed floor 101 after being owned fast and hard first thing :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
Floor 99.
Hold me, gaf. :(

haha, bloody palace complete! I cheesed floor 101 after being owned fast and hard first thing :(
Holy WaterZ!!!:lol
Im pissed...I didn't save my S rank on 4...and now im having trouble re-getting it. The boss of it is the hardest outside of the boss of 10 for me lol.:lol

Narag

shintoki said:
Holy WaterZ!!!:lol
Im pissed...I didn't save my S rank on 4...and now im having trouble re-getting it. The boss of it is the hardest outside of the boss of 10 for me lol.:lol

Can't use items in the bloody palace!
AI abuse by getting Dante into a pistolfight at close range then bustering. Cheap but I didn't want to replay 2 hours of BP after only finishing it on like attempt #7!

Narag

Score modifiers as posted by Hokuto on SA:
No damage = Total x 1.5
No items used = Total x 1.2
Gold Orb used = Total x 0.7
Continue used = Total x 0.8
Enemy level down = Total x 0.8
Super character used = Total x 0.2

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
^^^

that's one of the coolest dmc videos i've ever seen. and when the system is deep and flexible enough to allow things like that, i doubt any other 3d action game will touch dmc -- even given dmc4's recycling and stupid level design

Darkpen

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:

me likey

Yoshichan

~Devil Trigger~ said:
LOL, i dont hate it

But I HATE it on the Special Mission..
PANDORA SIX SIX SIX!

Top Bottom