• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az

1. Gran Turismo 5 ; was between this and GOW3 but sealed it after the latest patch
2. God of War 3
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
4. Mass Effect 2

Haven't been gaming too much this year.

1. FIFA 11
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Bayonetta
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Alan Wake
7. BioShock 2
8. Professor Layton & the Unwound Future
9. Heavy Rain
10. MLB 10: The Show

1. Super Street Fighter 4
2. Heavy Rain
3. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
7. Bayonetta
8. Metroid: Other M
9. Vanquish
10. Final Fantasy 13

Honorables
x. Valkyria Chronicles 2
x. Yakuza 3

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
1. Bayonetta
2. Heroes of Newerth
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
6. Civilization 5
7. Fallout: New Vegas
8. Alpha Protocol
9. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
10. Minecraft

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It wasn't my favorite game of the year, but I'm actually quite surprised at a lack of DQIX on top 10 lists. Thought that game had more GAF love than that...

Drastic

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; Treyarch nuked the cheese from MW2, built some great maps and made the best COD to date.

2. Apache: Air Assault ; Best non-racing sim experience on console. Flight stick support is excellent and has great feel.

3. Kinect Adventures ; Rallyball in Best Buy turned me on to Kinect. Prior, I was purely a sweaty, Metallica t-shirt wearing Kinect hater. Extra points for getting to watch my nephews emulate popcorn popping while they play this.

4. Dance Central ; The best thing yet for gaming with my wife. Great song selection, awesome gameplay if you like dancing at all.

5. Kinect Sports ; Slick controls and polish, several fun minigames, and FREE dlc.

6. F1 2010 ; First game to get online console sim racing right since Forza 2.

7. MAG ; Despite the clustermucks, fun game with great leadership/command structure.

8. Medal of Honor ; Overall good MP game, and not sure why but enjoyed more than BF:BC2.

9. Joe Danger ; Best on PSN so far.

10. Pinball FX 2 ; Great friends list integration/competition. Importing tables from Pinball FX was very much appreciated, an excellent way to handle it. Greatly improved from FX, very good pinball overall. Not on par with Williams, but close and I don't have to put a disk in.

1 Red Dead Redemption ; Great narrative, amazing sandbox, fleshed out world and cougars.
2 Picross3D ; DS tetris.
3 Gran Turismo 5 ; Game of Forever might be in my system forever.
4 Mass Effect 2 ; Story, supporting cast, side quests and art direction made this game for me.
5 Super Street Fighter 4 ; This game made me like VS games again.
6 DarkSiders - Zelda for HD consoles
7 BattleField Bad Company 2 ; Fun single player, destructible environments, vehicles and amazing multiplayer.
8 Heavy Rain ; One of the more unique experiences in game this year.
9 God of War 3 ; Crazy set pieces, amazing art, a little gory. Perfect popcorn game.
10 Metal Gear: Peace Walkers ; Loved the single player/multiplayer and the story in the PSP metal gear game.

Honorable Mentions:
Just Cause 2 ; gifs give better justice to this game than my words.
Enslaved ; Lush, amazing nuanced character expressions and interesting story.
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood ; Stabbing fools with your bros in Italy. Good times.
MineCraft ; Creepers are MineCraft's RDR cougars.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Page 7 people lacking semi-colons:

Feorax
Mr. E. Yis

Complete list of offenders here.

If you fix your post, post it in the thread or tell me so I can take you off the list.

FJ0372

1.Super Mario Galaxy 2
2.Red Dead Redemption
3.Halo: Reach
4.Mass Effect 2
5.Donkey Kong Country Returns
6.Metroid: Other M
7.StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8.Fallout: New Vegas
9.BioShock 2
10.Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
:D

19Kilo

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. Civilization 5
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
7. Final Fantasy 13
8. F1 2010
9. Minecraft
10. Just Cause 2

gokieks

Man, I didn't play nearly as many games this year, coming up with a full list is hard.

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty - not the genre redefining game that the original was, but still the most enjoyable RTS I've played in a long time. Not thrilled with where the story ended, but Blizzard has 2 more games/5(+) years, so I'm not going to count that against it too much

2. Final Fantasy 13 - the flaws are well-known and very well publicized, but I loved the battle system so much that I can forgive it almost anything.

3. Mass Effect 2 - as much as I hate how BioWare just threw out all the broken elements from ME1 and made ME2 barely an RPG in the process, it's a much more polished game than the previous, and the characters and setting of the story are still things I find myself caring about. But the addition of the planet scanning game mechanic is just as questionable as GT5's B-Spec removing the speed-up option of GT4. At least it's not as bad when played on the superior platform due to mouse sensitivity adjustments (or cheating).

4. Gran Turismo 5 - the UI is a mess, the inconsistency in visuals is maddening, and B-Spec is often a complete pain in the ass. But I love it nonetheless, and the amount of changes and updates it's received in less than a month makes me quite optimistic.

5. Civilization V - I haven't gone back to try it since the last major patch, but despite the performance and AI issues at launch, I still enjoyed it a lot. I think the series has become a victim of its own success, with the comparison to Civ IV being more the reason for the negative reception than any major failings on the part of Civ V.

6. Heavy Rain - It is an extremely flawed game, with game mechanics that don't always work, atrocious voice acting, plot continuity issues, and some absolutely terrible technical issues (hello there, game freezes that cause my savefile to be deleted), but it's still a game worth playing just because of how unique of a game it is. Even with the voice acting, the weight of the story still shows through, and the scene where
Ethan has to decide how to cut off his own finger in front of the camera
is honestly one of the most emotionally distressing scenes I've ever seen in a game. What it really comes down to is that though I don't think I ever want to play it again, it's an experience that I'm very much glad I had.

7. Resonance of Fate - I haven't finished it yet (and might be a while until I do, thanks to GT5), but I do enjoy the setting and characters based on what I've played so far. And the battle system is a lot of fun, even if it's ridiculously imposing at first.

8. Blur - Single player can be way too hard, and MP is a barren landscape. But the core game is pretty solid, especially considering I only paid $10 for it.

... and I think that's it. I'm not even sure I'd put Blur on the list, but everything else are just games that I've played but can't seriously consider great games.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Heavy Rain
5.Battlefield: Bad Company 2
6.Halo: Reach
7.Red Dead Redemption
8.Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. Minecraft
10. Alan Wake

Unison

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
5. Picross 3D
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Resonance of Fate
10. Super Street Fighter 4

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; The FPS I have been waiting for since the original Team Fortress 2 concept was announced in the late 90's. It pretty much has it all, tight objective based combat, great teamplay (enhanced by spotting), vehicles, classes with unique abilities and roles, destruction, ground deformation, great sound, great gunplay, explosives, excellent maps with chokepoints and sneaky dangerous paths.
2. The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom ; So much better than the similiarly mechaniced Braid. Just a really well constructed puzzle game with some great visuals. You never feel like a solution is cheap, you never feel completely stuck (ok once but I forgot a mechanic) and you never solve a puzzle through trial and error or luck , which is the hallmark of a good puzzle game in my book.
3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; Excellent atmosphere and audio - at one point turns the basic 'lava floor' into a disturbing chase that will make your heart pound. Monsters are actually frightening for the first time in a long time.
4. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising ; Would possibly be top except of course that it is an expansion. Continues and improves on my GOTY for last year.
5. VVVVVV ; Imagine the best game of the first generation home computer era was never released until it was found in a time capsule and released in 2010.
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; Might have been higher but I haven't had a chance to play more than the first set of levels. Great platforming, great game.
7. Metro 2033 ; Again a game I haven't put much time into yet, but an hour in I love in the atmosphere. Eastern europe/russia have a different approach to videogames, it is hard to put your finger on the difference but it produces unique games.
8. Shatter (PC) ; Novel twist on one of the archetype video games.
9. Toki Tori (PC) ; Nice puzzler, but which can be infuriating when you can't see the answer.
10. Medal of Honor ; Honorable mention for the single player campaign which provides the unrealisitic gameplay of CoD but in a much more realistic and acceptable environment and setting. The MP is outclassed by its parent BC2 in every way.

Was a very indie year for me, some other indie games might have made it if I had more chance to play them (my playtime for shatter is only 20 odd minutes, but I feel I can evaluate a game like that afetr a very short amount of time).

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Halo: Reach
3. Mass Effect 2
4. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
5. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
6. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

1. Rock Band 3
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
6. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
7. Super Meat Boy

Atilac

1. Bayonetta
2. Civilization 5
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Metro 2033
6. Limbo
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9. Halo: Reach
10. Game dev story

u_neek

Alright, here we go..

1. Heavy Rain
- Blew me away with its unique gameplay and very compelling story. The ending might have been a little bit stupid but it didn't take away my enjoyment. Really looking forward to see what QD does next!
2. Deadly Premonition - Knew I would love it ever since I watched the first trailer and it certainly didn't disappoint. "Dungeons" might have been a bit dull but everything else made up for it. Buy it! Now!
3. Final Fantasy 13 - Hate it and love it at the same time. It's probably the game I've spent the most time on this year and I really enjoyed going through it. To me, it felt a lot more "Final Fantasy" than XII but because of its linear structure and stupid cast I will probably never complete it again. Tons of great ideas gameplay- and world-wise though.
4. Yakuza 3
5. Alan Wake
6. Resonance of Fate
7. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
8. Limbo
9. Dance Central
10. Angry Birds

x. Bayonetta - liked it, didn't love it. Not really my genre though.
x. Mass Effect 2 - never finished it so won't put it in the top 10.
x. Game Dev Story - addicting as hell but not really deep enough to make my top 10.

eXistor

Regulus Tera said:
Valid opinion, but it sounds like you are playing the wrong series. Heck, the wrong genre even.
I don't want to derail anything here, but I felt the need to reply to this. I love rpg's it's my favorite genre and I adore Dragon Quest. It's DQIX and VII specifically that don't cater to my expectations of an rpg. As I said before, I think the game is great, but I expected outstanding. While playing DQIX I never felt like I was progressing anything, but was like the game reset after solving a quest and you'd just have to start over again. I know a lot of rpg's take this approach, but it just didn't click for me in DQIX, it all felt too disjointed.

reminder

1. Red Dead Redemption ; A huge world to explore, fun gameplay and a great presentation made this my GOTY.
2. Heavy Rain ; Different as other games, but definitely a great experience and very intense.
3. God of War 3 ; It's Kratos kickin' asses again. I don't need to say more.
4. Sports Champions ; Most realistic experience in motion gaming yet. I hate Kenji, though.
5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; Finally a really good 3D-Castlevania.
6. Costume Quest ; Cute little RPG with an interesting setting. Love it.
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; Hot Pursuit is back! Criterion delivered again.
8. Dead Nation ; Shooting Zombies was never more fun as in this game.
9. FIFA 11 ; A great football game again, but some annoying bugs are still there.
10. Patchwork Heroes ; Crazy, but definitely worth the money.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
4. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
5. Kirby's Epic Yarn
6. Epic Mickey
7. Professor Layton & the Unwound Future
8. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
9. Fluidity
10. Picross 3D
x. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Mileena

Banned
1. Bayonetta
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Phantasy Star Portable 2
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops
5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

AwShucks

1. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bayonetta
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
7. Heavy Rain
8. Fallout: New Vegas
9. God of War 3
10. God of War: Ghost of Sparta

JdFoX187

Banned
1. Read Dead Redemption ; Hands-down, the best open world game to-date. Powerful performances all the way around from the script down to the voice acting. It shed many of the conventions of modern gaming stories, and came close to perfecting the open world gameplay that Rockstar began with GTA IV.

2. Mass Effect 2 ; In controversial fashion, Bioware abandoned many of the original's RPG elements for a more streamlined action game. A weak story still couldn't hold back some powerful moments, especially within the character loyalty missions. The updated gameplay and technical improvements make this stand head-and-shoulders above the original.

3. Darksiders ; Some say derivative, I say unique. Darksiders put a completely unique spin on the post-apocalyptic genre and turned it on its head with an awesome storyline. Joe Mad's art design continues to accent the wonderful world. The gameplay may "borrow" from many classic games, but it all comes together for the best new IP of the year.

4. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; As someone who played the original DKC games to death on the SNES, I was wary of a new game not developed by Rare. But Retro brought back all the wonderful memories and added their own spin on the formula. One of the best looking Wii games yet with some of the most challenging, and ambitious, 2D platforming in years.

5. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Blizzard does not disappoint with impressive visuals, a fun story and rock solid RTS gameplay. It doesn't matter if it wasn't a large departure from the original game. SCII is one of the most fun RTS games I've played in years.

6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; Ubisoft could have thrown in the towel for a cheap cash-in with very little improvement, ala Activision and Call of Duty, but the third series in the Assassin's Creed series proves to be the best one yet. More intricate missions, an engaging story and additional gameplay improvements continue to help push the new franchise as the best new IP of the generation.

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It seems as if the sequel has flown under the radar this year, but Mario's second galaxy outing is the best 3D platformer since Super Mario 64. The gameplay refinements blow away Super Mario Galaxy, and the inclusion of the linear mission structure as opposed to a hub world just goes even further to cement the greatness of this game.

8. God of War 3 ; While the ending to the God of War trilogy might not have been as fulfilling as some had hoped, Kratos still provides some bloody great action. Never has my jaw been dropped by set pieces as much as when playing God of War III. Epic doesn't begin to describe the campaign, even if it was a little too brief.

9. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; It's about time some respect was brought back to the arcade style of Need for Speed. Criterion manages to pull the series away from the horrid open world nature that has plagued the series, and their previous effort, and make a game that pays homage to the original classic. Some of the most intense arcade racing to date provides plenty of white knuckle driving, and the best racer on consoles this year.

10. Halo: Reach ; Halo 3 was the biggest disappointment of the generation. ODST was a mere expansion, and borderline cash-in on the franchise. Halo Reach manages to shake the bitter taste left by the previous two titles and provide the best campaign since Halo: Combat Evolved, and the best mutiplayer since Halo 2. Technical issues aside, Reach is the most complete Halo game to date. Forge is still almost useless, the theater mode has been neutered and the maps aren't that great, but the gameplay foundation is solid and improvements to hit detection and the netcode make the new take on the Halo formula fun once again.

Honorable Mention:

x. Alan Wake ; It'd be criminal not to at least add this to the list. A wonderful storyline, some genuinely creepy moments and fun, albeit somewhat thin, gameplay elevates Remedy's latest offering from the initial disappointment many felt when it was unveiled. Let's hope those guys are hard at work on a sequel, as long as the pages foretell it.

Maccas

1. VVVVVV ; This game was a revelation from start to finish. Avoided the frustration that Super Meat Boy evokes, incredible music and the best game mechanic of the year. It's on sale at the moment guys. If you have any love of platformers, please buy this game (and don't clear your temp files while you are playing it).
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Alpha Protocol
5. Heavy Rain
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Civilization 5
8. Puzzle Agent ; looks like I'll be the only one voting for this, but if you play it I'll give you some Hot Dish.
9. Mass Effect 2 ; I feel bad voting for it because it doesn't deserve GOTY, but it did a number of things admirably. Steamlined many systems that needed it, but went too far. Here's hoping ME3 goes back to its roots a little.
10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

STALKER and Amnesia are on the backlog but I won't get into them before the voting ends.

I'm happy I got Puzzle Agent added to the list, that game is awesome and deserves a sequel.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
eXistor said:
I don't want to derail anything here, but I felt the need to reply to this. I love rpg's it's my favorite genre and I adore Dragon Quest. It's DQIX and VII specifically that don't cater to my expectations of an rpg. As I said before, I think the game is great, but I expected outstanding. While playing DQIX I never felt like I was progressing anything, but was like the game reset after solving a quest and you'd just have to start over again. I know a lot of rpg's take this approach, but it just didn't click for me in DQIX, it all felt too disjointed.

Dragon Quest is built on the idea that the little adventures along the way are just as important as the big world-saving quest. If you don't like that kind of narrative you should look away from Dragon Quest -which is why it surprises me that you say you adore the franchise.

Elixist

1. League of Legends: a very addicting DOTA style game that I stay up late to play with friends. The game just keeps getting better with new characters and balance patches.
2. Monday Night Combat: awesome mechanics with fun artstyle and animation. I always wanted a DOTA shooter and this one delivers with its own ideas blended in as well. If your into pvp shooters give this one a shot! "wink"
3. Red Dead Redemption: first 15 hours of this blew me away it sucks that repition starts in after that. I wish you could shoot limbs off and for the game to have rpg elements. Im about done with Rockstar mission design, shits startin to get stale guys lets figure out away to have an open world an decision making in your tasks Oblivion style please ,also fuck taking Bonnie her corn I dont give a fuck.
4. Halo Reach: still havent beat the campaign, but what i played was beautiful and challenging. i played probably 30ish hours of multi and its great, a far cry from Halo 2 multi tho, and on a sidenote why the fuck does everybody pick the mapmaker maps they fucking suck, that shit made me quit part 3 and it made me quit this too. Just do away with veto altogether im sick of waiting for that shit random pick a Bungie professionally made map and lets do this.
5. Super Meat Boy: Excellent feel and challenge, great music and presentation. A little bit lacking in details for the main character imo and the environments. I'd rather have a lot more subtle animations for deaths and the like for meat boy than some other character to play that would take forever to master and not really worth the pay out. On topic of the level graphics some of the environments just look bland to me.
6: Mass Effect 2: really enjoyed this intriguing story great graphics and gameplay, I would care for some fucking loot tho docs wtf?
7: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm: I enjoyed what I played of this some of the redone quests and zones are great, but lets be honest its time for a new fucking mmo blizz.
8: Super Mario Galaxy 2: a good expansion pack, SM64 still shits all over this and galaxy 1 tho.

also a /cry for a ton of shit I did not play like ps3 games, portable games (have a psp and never use it), and platinums games. I know i'm fail ill look into grabbin some vanquish and bayonetta next year

Seda

1. Alpha Protocol
2. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. Valkyria Chronicles 2
7. Resonance of Fate

Chris R

1. Gran Turismo 5 ; Not really much to be said here, I love this game. Wait was killer, but after this latest patch I'm going to say it is worth it.
2. Rock Band 3 ; Shame about what is happening with Harmonix, but as long as they keep the DLC coming for this gem I'll continue to play the shit out of it. Keyboard is killer, I can't wait to see how the realtar turns out.
3. Civilization 5 ; Been playing the civ games from Civ III, this is the best of the series, shame my machine can't run it at max :(
4. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Still need to finish the single player, but this game gets ranked not only for the time I've played it, but the amount of time and fun I've had watching others play it.
5. Final Fantasy 13 ; screw the haters, I liked this game quite a bit, even with it's flaws
6. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; only ranked this low since I haven't experienced any of the new 80-85 stuff
7. Skate 3 ; best sports game I played this year, online play was much improved over number two, even if the single player stuff was a little lacking.
8. White Knight Chronicles ; was able to buy the game for pretty cheap when it came out and enjoyed the slow story and combat. Online left a little to be desired but here is hoping WKC2 fixes the issues I had.
9. Angry Birds ; my most played mobile game
10. 3D Dot Game Heroes ; love 2d zelda games so this has to be ranked
x. Super Meat Boy ; this game might place higher, but I've only just started to play it
x. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse ; PSN game of the year for me, THANK YOU PSN+

mokeyjoe

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Bayonetta
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Heavy Rain
6. FIFA 11
7. Perfect Dark XBLA

Dragmire

1. Minecraft ; I just played it the most and got the most out of it (and it keeps on giving)
2. Wario Ware D.I.Y. ; Second most played game. I love games where you create stuff.
3. Sleep Is Death ; Create an adventure in realtime... awesome
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
5. Trajectile
6. Starship Defense
7. The Whispered World
8. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
9. Dragon Quest 9 ; Excellent game, but I haven't played a lot of it yet.
10. Metroid: Other M ; Not the best Metroid, but a lot of great things about it. Haters begone.

Ogre123

Neo Member
1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; I liked the humor of the single player campaign, had fun with it. But the multiplayer has just been nothing short of awesome. Real team cooperation, class based, lots of different ways to attack/defend. Dedicated servers for guaranteed awesomeness online. Awesome DLC support, great job DICE.

2. Limbo ; Really great polished indie game that wife and I had fun with

3. Gran Turismo 5 ; It has flaws, but the amount of love and work that went into this title just oozes out everywhere, which makes it easy to overlook it's flaws. I will be playing this for a long time.

4. Darksiders ; Combining gameplay from God of War and Zelda with a story I enjoyed. Exceeded all my expectations.

5. Angry Birds ; Favorite time waster.

6. Halo: Reach
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Joe Danger
10. Call of Duty: Black Ops

1. Super Street Fighter IV
2. BlazBlue Continuum Shift
3. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
4. Sin and Punishment 2
5. Deathsmiles
6. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
7. Persona 3 Portable
8. Vanquish

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
1. super street fighter 4
2. starcraft 2
3. minecraft
4. mass effect 2
5. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
6. blazblue: CS

Click

Banned
1. MAG

Sadly, no game on either PC or consoles have come close to recreating Battlefield 2's objective-based gameplay, sense of being in a massive battle, and being able to do so many things other than kill people.

MAG may not be the prettiest-looking shooter, it HAD a lot of flaws since its lauch, and it's not exactly a newb-friendly game. However, there's just no game like it and there's no "modern-day" shooter that can compare to the fun and excitement this game can give IF you play with AND against other competent players. Plus, Zipper has been very dedicated in constantly improving MAG, even though most of their development team is focused on SOCOM 4. Despite having a gimped post-release support team, no game this year has had as many patches, DLC, and constant community feedback as MAG did.

I know MAG won't win or even come close, simply because not enough people have played the game, it's a PS3 exclusive, and many GAF'fers that have played it, didn't give the game enough playtime or gave up before Zipper could properly patch the game. But it is definitely my personal GotY because I haven't had this much fun with an online shooter since SOCOM II and Battlefield 2. I've also never played a shooter (or non-MMO) as much as I did with MAG: over 900 hours throughout 4 PSN accounts.

2. God of War 3
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Vanquish
6. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
7. Fallout: New Vegas
8. Bayonetta
9. Halo: Reach
10. Call of Duty: Black Ops

HM: Darksiders
HM: Shatter

Curufinwe

1. Bayonetta
2. Persona 3 Portable
3. Final Fantasy 13
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
6. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising

1. Red Dead Redemption ; One of my games of the generation. As someone said earlier, this game is the Rockstar formula perfected. I 100%-ed it and then played through again. Absolutely beautiful with a great soundtrack and some of the best voice acting around. As with many Rockstar games, the meta-story falls apart a bit if you think about it too much, but I was too terrified of bears and cougars tearing me apart every time I got off my horse to care much.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Loved Mass Effect and the changes they made for the sequel were an excellent improvement on the whole. Making the combat into more of an FPS really worked for me. Similar to Red Dead, it had top notch music and voice acting but the overall story had some holes and wasn't quite as good as ME1. Can't wait for the 3rd installment and dat ass of Miranda!!
3. Halo: Reach ; The best Halo campaign since the original, with a wide variety of environments and a great mix of different land and air-based combat scenarios. As always, it is the gold standard for FPS AI when playing on the higher difficulty levels. The multiplayer was solid, but after 100s of hours in different versions of Halo multiplayer over the years, I guess I am running out of steam a bit.
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Best downloadable game I have ever played and it totally came out of nowhere. They took all the great things from Tomb Raider, changed it to a top-down and condensed them into a tight little package.
5. MLB 10: The Show ; Basically the same game as '09, but that was in my top 5 last year so I am including it. The gameplay is excellent, but I wish they would have at least made some interface improvements and speeded up things like Road to the Show. It is difficult to improve on, but I look forward to some changes to integrate a Move controller in the next installment.
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; The single player is ridiculous, but has some fun moments. The multiplayer has many issues - lag, bad hit detection and horrible spawning - but I have to admit I am enjoying it when things go right. They changed it up enough from MW2 (though I am not an MW2 hater) to keep things fresh. Hopefully they can continue to improve the things that aren't working with future patches.
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; I'm not a huge racing game fan, but I picked this up on sale on a whim and have spent about 30 hours on it. The racing is pure Need for Speed mayhem and it takes the integration with your friends list and comparing your results with them to a new level.
8. Civilization 5 ; Civ 4 is my favorite game of all time and this game was my default GOTY going into 2010. I am surprised by how much I am not liking it. My biggest disappointment of the year, but I still have to include it on the list because I have played it so much and enjoy it on a certain level. The simplifications to the game have gone too far, IMO, to the point where there just really aren't that many meaningful choices in the game. I frequently find myself hitting Enter for next turn over and over. I do think some of the combat changes have been a big improvement and the interface is excellent. I hold out hope that there is some potential for improvement with future expansions like happened with Civ 4, particularly BtS.
9. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare ; More Red Dead goodness in the same year? Yes, please! A perfectly executed twist on the Red Dead world is giving me hours more enjoyment.
10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction ; I am a huge stealth game and particularly a Splinter Cell fan. I was disappointed they took out the ability to go 100% full stealth in this installment in the series, but once I got over that and accepted the game for what it was, I had a good time. The Mark and Execute functionality is just fun and the Tactical Ops missions added a cool set of extra content that I really enjoyed as well.

It seems like there are a lot of complaints in my comments on each pick, but I really liked all of these games! :lol

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Alpha Protocol
3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
9. Minecraft
10. Game Dev Story

D-Pad

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; The best platformer I've played in a while. Action-packed and constantly surprising!
2.3D Dot Game Heroes ; My sister got this for Christmas, but I've been enjoying it more than her, apparently. This game is classic Zelda bliss, plus much more. I would LOVE to see a sequel for this on a portable system. While the high-quality visuals may be lost, I would still be able to enjoy swinging that giant sword, the dungeons, and (hopefully) saving the world with Doug, the greatest dog hero since Underdog. <3
3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; Been wanting this ever since my Silver cart died. The years-long wait was more than worth it - The updated graphics, beautifully rearranged soundtrack, and a ton of new content like the Pokeathalon swirled nicely with the familiar faces and story of the original titles back on Gameboy Color. HGSS missed #2 by keeping things a little too familiar and because some Pokemon are unbalanced. (>=()
4. Monster Hunter 3: Tri ; My first Monster Hunter game, and BOY do I love it. If I wasn't so into my DS I would still be playing this today. The monsters were incredible and every hunt is tense. Multiplayer is very fun and engaging and makes hunting even more fun.
5. Minecraft ; I was surprised when I finally bought and played this. Didn't think digging would be fun - and with the monsters it's not really, so I play on peaceful - but it is. As someone who loves Animal Crossing and games like it, I HAD to put Minecraft somewhere on this list.
6. Halo: Reach ; The points system makes this by far the most addicting Halo game ever. That and it had the best campaign of them all. Only thing that could have possibly made it better was allowing one to play as an Elite more often, and more armor upgrades and customization. It was also great not having to deal with the flood, but I guess that was expected. Also liked the new weapons and different abilities.
7. Metroid: Other M ; Samus has always been my favorite female protagonist, and I'm not ashamed to say it, but I actually like her better in Other M. The story could use some work, but I hope -nay, I PRAY Samus NEVER goes back to being a silent character. The controls are also wonky sometimes -- Trying to jump up platforms in OTS view does not work without nunchuk. Had a hard time with that... The rest of the game is awesome, however.
8. Mass Effect 2 ; My sister is a bigger Mass Effect fan than I, having played through the campaign at least 70 times (each, 1 & 2). It's great being able to choose your own dialog path, even if the VA's suck at delivering them half the time. I actually didn't finish my own play-through yet but I watched my sister plenty of times to feel comfortable enough to put it on the list, if not for her behalf. 2 improves upon 1 in a lot of ways. For one, the character's don't look nearly as ugly :p. I love the RPG-Action mix and can't wait for number 3 (full body rotation in character creation mode please and thanks).

Hopefully, I'll be able to add some more games here by the end of the year.

Vexidus

1. Just Cause 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. Darksiders
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
8. Heavy Rain
9. Donkey Kong Country Returns
10. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

x. Super Mario Galaxy 2
x. Deathspank
x. Split/Second
x. BioShock 2
x. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
x. Back to the Future: The Game (although I am waiting for the PSN version before I play, adored GiantBomb's quick look)

So many good games this year that it's hard to choose. There are games I haven't played yet that I know I'll love, but it wouldn't be fair to list them. There are also games systems I don't own that I know I would love (Alan Wake, Limbo) but I clearly can't list those. So this is the list of the games I have played, and had the most fun with.

Click said:
I know MAG won't win or even come close, simply because not enough people have played the game, it's a PS3 exclusive, and many GAF'fers that have played it, didn't give the game enough playtime or gave up before Zipper could properly patch the game.

Uh, as far as these things go around here, I don't think that's really much of a downside at all. more of a bonus really :lol I mean, MGS4 and Uncharted 2 both won, the latter quite handily.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It's the best 3D platformer ever made. Inventive from start to finish, and tighter than a nun's cunt, its the new standard to beat.
2. Bayonetta ; It's the best 3D action brawler ever made. In combos, controls, encounters, scoring, weapons, and everything else it is the peak of its genre. Its so, so good.
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; DKC holds a special place in my heart as I grew up with it. Retro managed to find the perfect balance of staying true to the roots, while reinventing it for a new generation. Utterly amazing platforming, and much like SMG2 stays inventive from beginning to end. Its better than Rare's efforts, and one of the best games this gen.
4. Mass Effect 2 ; For all its problems I still enjoyed the ever loving shit out of it. I love me some tacky sci-fi slosh and the Mass Effect series does it better than anybody else in a long time. And fuck you guys, I really loved the combat.
5. Vanquish ; A huge breath of air in a sea of stagnent stop-and-pop cover based shooters. Just another glorious notch on Platinum's "We make better action games than anybody" belt.
6. Sin & Punishment 2 ; Balls-to-the-walls arcade gunning. Its the sequel I never thought would happen. Surprisingly long for its genre, I knew it was a GOTY contender when I lost count of how many times I had played through.
7. Super Meat Boy ; Distilled simplistic platforming bought to perfection. Lacks the flashy modern edge of DKCR, but that's not its angle. As a pure platformers platformer, SMB is about as good as it gets.
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; I admit I'm not a big Croft fan, but I dig the Tomb Raider idea, and Guardian of Light is exactly what I wanted from the franchise. Tight action and some really great pacing and exploration wrapped in surprisingly gorgeous graphics. Loved it, and am still loving it.
9. Minecraft ; LOLOL MINECRACK. It really is though.
10. VVVVVV ; This is one of those games that I cant help everybody has over-looked in favour of Super Meat Boy, when I've had just as much fun with it as I did the latter. Amaaazing soundtrack and fantastic, unique platforming. As poppabk put it, it feels like the best game of its generation, lost away in a time capsual and finally revealed to the world. Its cheaper than chips and everybody should buy it.

cantona222

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. God of War 3
3. Alan Wake
4. Halo: Reach
5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Super Street Fighter 4
10. Super Scribblenauts

Note: The games that are in my list and I didn't beat yet are: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Lara Croft &GL, Super Scribblenauts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom