• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek signs huge licensing deal with Amazon for astronomical $50-$70M fee

So uh, why would you pay $50-$70 million for CryEngine?

Like you could probably get an Unreal Engine 4 group license for $10-$15 million and use it for all their games.

Unity would be vastly cheaper than even that.

Yeah I feel like there must be a missing element to this story. Is Amazon making a bigger move here? Is Crytek developing content for them? Does Amazon now own part of Crytek?

This deal on the surface makes no sense to me

Kinyou

Is Amazon still trying to push the Kindle fire as a gaming console? What ever happened to Double Helix?
The Fire still looks like a glorified Ouya. I'd like to believe they have more up their sleeves but I don't think that's likely.

Somnid

So uh, why would you pay $50-$70 million for CryEngine?

Like you could probably get an Unreal Engine 4 group license for $10-$15 million and use it for all their games.

Unity would be vastly cheaper than even that.

I'd imagine this is not necessarily for internal use but to give away as an option to developers on Amazon devices.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I feel like there must be a missing element to this story. Is Amazon making a bigger move here? Is Crytek developing content for them? Does Amazon now own part of Crytek?

This deal on the surface makes no sense to me

Like, to even try to make something make sense out of this:

1.) It'd have to be an in-perpetuity license with endless free support.

2.) Crytek would presumably make content for them and this would help fund some of that.

3.) They'd probably own part of Crytek to help ensure their investment.

I'd imagine this is not necessarily for internal use but to give away as an option to developers on Amazon devices.

Okay that would also make sense. The ability to give out a free license to every developer.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just do another Unity deal at that point though.

Pudge

Amazon is just dumping money into a giant bonfire at this point when it comes to games. I wonder how much money the Flappy Bird guy squeezed out of them.

Xando

Inb4 Amazon buys Xbox.

50-70m seems to high for a licensing deal. They're planning something bigger.

Elandyll

Banned
Maybe that includes some IPs as well? (I think Crytek has Crysis and Ryse)

Because if it's just to use an engine (even exclusively), I don't quite get it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Maybe the contract has very favorable terms you wouldnt be able to wrangle out of Epic or Unity?

Epic is playing hardball. As an example, we are using ue4 completely free right now. I mean entirely, totally free - no licensing cost or royalties to be owed.

Im guessing this is less about the engine and more about very close support.

Compsiox

Banned
Epic is playing hardball. As an example, we are using ue4 completely free right now. I mean entirely, totally free - no licensing cost or royalties to be owed.

Welcome back buddy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Like you could just poach 10 of Crytek's top staff and save gazillions of dollars if you needed that much support.

Like, to even try to make something make sense out of this:

1.) It'd have to be an in-perpetuity license with endless free support.

2.) Crytek would presumably make content for them and this would help fund some of that.

3.) They'd probably own part of Crytek to help ensure their investment.

Yep something like this is the only way I can see a deal like this working. On the surface that price tage makes no sense for a strictly licensing CryEngine deal.

Krejlooc

Banned
Like you could just poach 10 of Crytek's top staff and save gazillions of dollars if you needed that much support.

Perhaps whatever support is being offered in this hypothetical web isnt entirely owned by crytek, but rather partners they themselves license from. Similar to the way Oculus themselves work.

I have no idea what this is about, mind you, but considering the way tim sweeney is courting people to ue4 with very favorable licensing, this just has to be more than an engine.

Somnid

Okay that would also make sense. The ability to give out a free license to every developer.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just do another Unity deal at that point though.

Perhaps they can get specific hardware optimization or tooling support.

Sydle

Good for Crytek, I suppose. Can't imagine why Amazon is doing it unless this is some kind of long-term support contract, or maybe a partnership to further develop the CryEngine together and a foot in the door for Amazon on a long-term plan to be a middleware player.

Whatever the case, they've been poaching game talent for a while and I want to see what they've been working on.

Shiggy

My friend's father works at Amazon and he said that they did this deal specifically for Double Helix Games. He insisted that they got a big deal recently with Konami and Guillermo del Toro because Konami was very satisfied with their work on Silent Hill Homecoming.

:p

Peterthumpa

Everytime that I read something related to a tech company buying another tech company for X, I remember the Facebook / Whatsapp deal.

I mean, 19 BILLION for a chat app. Talk about dat market presence and information value.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I know this is like medicine after death, but their expansion was handled really poorly. They should have stuck with PC and produced a track record of solid titles before really branching out to console. Crysis 2 was mediocre and Crysis 3 was just bad.

Crytek is a company without an identity.

Krejlooc

Banned
Crytek has been doing a lot of behind the scenes work with vr. They wanted to hire our hl2vr team outright about a year ago, as an example. I wonder if this is related to that stuff.

megalowho

Not clear on what the endgame is for either company but Crytek must have some pretty talented folks in the sales department. CryEngine wasn't turning heads compared to the competition and with all the other financial/management issues going on they probably needed a big deal like this to survive.

Hopefully this puts a firm end to any and all payroll shenanigans that were going on over there. As an outsider it doesn't feel like Crytek deserves a new lease on life, games have been underwhelming and employee testimonials were damning, but at least folks will be able to keep their jobs and get paid on time.

CTLance

This is clearly an indication that I'll be playing Super Kindle Bros and Halo on my Primebox come 2020.

Seriously though, that's a lot of moolah for an engine license. Wonder what the backroom terms are.

Sulik2

This is a weird purchase. I can't help, but think Amazon is about to announce a VR initiative or they are about to blow up the home console space with their own console.

Krakn3Dfx

That FireTV early adopter purchase about to pay off clearly.

200_s.gif

Crytek has been doing a lot of behind the scenes work with vr. They wanted to hire our hl2vr team outright about a year ago, as an example. I wonder if this is related to that stuff.

Hmmmm now thats interesting. Could be one of the elements at play here.

Amir0x

Banned
Looks like they might have been able to avoid the neverending developer pit that has been impacting this industry. Live another day! Congrats to all the employees there.

Now make Crysis next like the first game, k thx

thats a lot of fucking money

so much so im willing to call bullshit on either of his sources, especially when the range is big enough to still be honestly too much money alone

KKRT00

Could be not games related, but movie industry related? Did Amazon have some plans to produce movies or something similar?

I wonder if there's any chance of them putting out a proper console, or publishing games for other platforms. The Cryengine would wasted on glorified mobile games.

Hmm very interesting. They could also have their own headset coming up.

androvsky

Makes sense. I'd lean towards Amazon devices being the Amazon console with VR, and Crytek is making the SDK and handling support. Given how much Facebook pumped into Oculus, the Amazon shareholders would probably see this as a good deal even if it's a tiny piece of the puzzle.

thats a lot of fucking money

so much so im willing to call bullshit on either of his sources, especially when the range is big enough to still be honestly too much money alone
It could simply be a very complicated contract with a lot of bonus and penalty structures, and one of the sources is being more optimistic about the situation a year or two down the road. Or bullshit, yes. :)

Krakn3Dfx

Ryse 2: Angry Romans, exclusive to the FireTV.

Using the FireTV remote, fling Romans at authentic Celtic structures.

Top Bottom